Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Godzilla 54  (Read 9872 times)

sealcouch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2023, 09:28:56 pm
Godzilla 54
« on: August 05, 2019, 01:06:09 pm »
So I got a cab in really bad shape a few years ago. From sanding through layers of paint I think it's life up to this point started as a Karate Champ, then converted to a Commando then converted to a gambling cab for a gas station, at which point I got it and turned it into a janky pandoras box cab. I finally want to make it into something worth sharing. I have a lot of work cut out for me.

Going to keep it a simple 3 button 2 player alternating vertical cab.

Here is a very rough concept of what I want to do.

Here's where it currently stands:

The internals are going to be a Pi2Jamma,which I was skeptical on, but after trying it briefly in my Contra I am absolutely blown away.  Going to have a Godzilla themed skin for browsing roms and such.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
Re: Godzilla 54
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 07:42:11 pm »
Lots of good art options with a Godzilla themed.

I can't think of GodZilla without thinking of "vs." so I would probably do a mash up and do something like Godzilla vs. Pacman, or something goofy like that.

Good luck.

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 08:38:39 pm »
Lots of good art options with a Godzilla themed.

I can't think of GodZilla without thinking of "vs." so I would probably do a mash up and do something like Godzilla vs. Pacman, or something goofy like that.

Good luck.

Honestly my thought here, is I was going to make a vertical for classics and shmups based on the 54 godzilla, then a 2 player horizontal one based on the 92 Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah. Good thoughts. 👍

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:08:31 pm
  • Just because.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 07:10:11 am »
What strikes me as odd is that you choose to theme a cab around one of the biggest monsters not to roam this planet and then allot it the smallest space available. I would put a Godzilla pic at the sides, maybe just a freaking big head or something like this

If you stay true to your concept, consider flipping the Godzillas around. The bezel one looks like it wants to leave the cab, the marquee goes like this -

"Waah! It's Godzilla! We're doomed!"

"No wait, he's just buggering off."

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 09:23:07 am »
What strikes me as odd is that you choose to theme a cab around one of the biggest monsters not to roam this planet and then allot it the smallest space available. I would put a Godzilla pic at the sides, maybe just a freaking big head or something like this

If you stay true to your concept, consider flipping the Godzillas around. The bezel one looks like it wants to leave the cab, the marquee goes like this -

"Waah! It's Godzilla! We're doomed!"

"No wait, he's just buggering off."

LOL. That's totally what it looks like. Going to flip that as soon as I get home from work.  I actually worked up a second set of art last night with Godzilla taking up the entire height of the cab on the side. It does look way better. 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 09:26:11 am »

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 09:55:47 pm »

Some art changes. Need to make a proper joystick surround and like 100 other things.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 11:22:43 pm »
Thumbs up.  Much better IMO.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 07:15:34 am »
Better. BUT. The bezel.

plane: brmmmm brmmmm brmmmm DOINK!

Godzilla: Ow! What did you do that for?

Also, I would try to find something else for the right side. Reusing the marquee graphics for the bezel looks a bit lazy. Aaand while we are at it, I'd skip the Godzilla name on the bezel. You will have that name on the marquee, the CP and on both sides, that is sufficient.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:41:24 am by yamatetsu »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 08:21:51 am »
The bezel is a good place to put some instructions for running the machine. The name of the machine shouldn't go everywhere. Most of the best arcade cab artwork only had the name on the marquee.

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 10:19:41 am »
Better. BUT. The bezel.

plane: brmmmm brmmmm brmmmm DOINK!

Godzilla: Ow! What did you do that for?

Also, I would try to find something else for the right side. Reusing the marquee graphics for the bezel looks a bit lazy. Aaand while we are at it, I'd skip the Godzilla name on the bezel. You will have that name on the marquee, the CP and on both sides, that is sufficient.

Completely agree. I'm not content with the bezel at all. I'm going to start from scratch.  Kinda think I may have been too restrictive trying to keep things super minimalist. Thanks for the feedback.

The bezel is a good place to put some instructions for running the machine. The name of the machine shouldn't go everywhere. Most of the best arcade cab artwork only had the name on the marquee.

Will be doing instructions for sure. 👌

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 01:26:36 pm »
I applaud you for thinking about the theme beforehand.  :applaud:  Great example to set for people here.  :cheers:

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 02:44:25 pm »
Minimalistic.

A better bezel. Might be tricky to find something that has a high enough resolution to print it, though.

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 04:11:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm »
Some nice awesome ideas here.

I would flip the way Godzilla is facing on the marquee. Godzilla is breathing fire away from the people. Although, maybe that's the idea?

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 12:26:59 am »
I would flip the way Godzilla is facing on the marquee. Godzilla is breathing fire away from the people. Although, maybe that's the idea?

No, you are right. I have already suggested this to the OP a while ago, he agrees. The second pic is just for showing the bezel, the rest may safely be ignored.

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 11:53:31 am »
Minimalistic.

A better bezel. Might be tricky to find something that has a high enough resolution to print it, though.

Big fan of that last Bezel! You're right though. It's really difficult to find hi res stuff for the 50's Godzilla. I might go in and make a simplified vector version of what you've done here. Depending on how that goes I may end up going with the minimal version.  I already have the pcb installed and the monitor tuned up so I'm really excited to get it looking pretty.

I swear, I'm so glad this forum exists. Can't get feedback like this anywhere else.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 03:14:04 pm »
I like the minimalistic design but I would make a few edits:

- Move your P1 and P2 Start buttons further to the left and put the Godzilla icons to the right of them.  Or, print some little vinyl godzilla icons and put them directly on top of the buttons (still moving them to the left).  Something like this except use Godzilla instead of girls:

- I'm not a fan of the button labels above your action buttons - they don't really add anything to your design and look out of place, IMO.

- Get rid of the font on the CP.  It is duplicative of the marquee and clutters up your panel.  I would maybe add a thin white horizontal line on the top instead just to tie into the bezel artwork or just leave it all black.

- Center the Japanese(?) font in the circle in the bezel art - it is too far up in the circle and looks off.

- Move the joystick to the left so it is not dead center.  This will be more comfortable to play and will allow you to stand in the center of the cabinet while playing and not slightly to the right.  I'd also make the right two action buttons exactly next to each other instead of the triangular layout you are showing currently.  YMMV on this.

- Finally, and this is a sort of big one, unless you actually have hi-res pics that won't look bad blown up, I'd redo the art entirely.  Not what the actual art is - I like that - but rather the style.  If you could commission someone (like opt2not) to just redraw everything in a more arcadey/cartoony style I think it would go a long way.  The marquee font seems simple and that may be OK as is so really it's only the side art pic of Godzilla breathing fire.  You could even work in some color very subtly if you want (hint of red in the fire, hint of green in the monster, etc.).

Just some thoughts - I really like this cab.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 03:16:38 pm by javeryh »

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 09:33:19 am »
I like the minimalistic design but I would make a few edits:

- Move your P1 and P2 Start buttons further to the left and put the Godzilla icons to the right of them.  Or, print some little vinyl godzilla icons and put them directly on top of the buttons (still moving them to the left).  Something like this except use Godzilla instead of girls:

- I'm not a fan of the button labels above your action buttons - they don't really add anything to your design and look out of place, IMO.

- Get rid of the font on the CP.  It is duplicative of the marquee and clutters up your panel.  I would maybe add a thin white horizontal line on the top instead just to tie into the bezel artwork or just leave it all black.

- Center the Japanese(?) font in the circle in the bezel art - it is too far up in the circle and looks off.

- Move the joystick to the left so it is not dead center.  This will be more comfortable to play and will allow you to stand in the center of the cabinet while playing and not slightly to the right.  I'd also make the right two action buttons exactly next to each other instead of the triangular layout you are showing currently.  YMMV on this.

- Finally, and this is a sort of big one, unless you actually have hi-res pics that won't look bad blown up, I'd redo the art entirely.  Not what the actual art is - I like that - but rather the style.  If you could commission someone (like opt2not) to just redraw everything in a more arcadey/cartoony style I think it would go a long way.  The marquee font seems simple and that may be OK as is so really it's only the side art pic of Godzilla breathing fire.  You could even work in some color very subtly if you want (hint of red in the fire, hint of green in the monster, etc.).

Just some thoughts - I really like this cab.   :cheers:

Moving the start buttons further left: Given that this is a metal control panel there's blocking on both sides sticking out about 1.5 inches so I will have to make it at least that far from the edge. I'll totally try moving them around and see if it tickles my fancy. Tiny Godzilla decals on buttons might be pretty cool but I would have to be very precise on that one.

The punch, kick, bite button labels: My main thought here is that when I make instructions it has something to reference. like Bite+P1:Return to menu. I see where you're coming from though. They kinda look like they were added on as an after thought. I need to make the art more cohesive all together. All part of this brain storming process.

Moving Joystick to the left: Good call on that one. Going to do that for sure.

Hi Res Pics: The hunt for hi res Godzilla pics really is a struggle. I'd really like to keep it to photos versus drawings because I want it to draw on the original film as much as possible.

Also the Japanese logo is the Toho logo and it is off center like that.

Thanks for all the input!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:30:35 pm by sealcouch »

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2019, 03:59:24 pm »
Hi Res Pics: The hunt for hi res Godzilla pics really is a struggle. I'd really like to keep it to photos versus drawings because I want it to draw on the original film as much as possible.

If everything else fails:

- buy the blu-ray

- track down someone who has a blu-ray drive in his/her computer

- play the movie, watch out for a suitable scene

- pause the movie, use a snapshot program to - wait for it - make a snapshot

- tadaa, you've got hi-res art from the original movie!

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 09:42:01 pm »

Just fiddling around a bit more. Taking a lot of the advice. I really enjoy that bezel. I ran it through vectorizer and for the time being I really like it.  limiting it to 12 shades really gives it a neat old school layered print feel.

Went through a blu-ray rip of the movie and tried to take as many good shots as I could. Here's what I have: https://imgur.com/a/fk5Ch9U

Anyone ever just print out some half finished ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- to hold up to your cab to feel a sense of accomplishment?

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 03:10:06 pm »

The movie snapshots are a bit too dark too use, the quality seems to be low, too.

The vectorized bezel looks good, I would vectorize the other graphics in the same style so that everything looks more cohesive. And I still would kick the logos on the sides and the CP.

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 07:18:13 pm »

The movie snapshots are a bit too dark too use, the quality seems to be low, too.

The vectorized bezel looks good, I would vectorize the other graphics in the same style so that everything looks more cohesive. And I still would kick the logos on the sides and the CP.

Yeah. That's the thing, there's not a whole lot of quality pics of him in the movie and even then 1080p isn't as hi-res as you'd thing.  Hopefully there's a 4k release pretty soon.

Gonna work on a proper joystick surround on the CP then call that part done.

Good call on the logos.

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2019, 08:48:07 pm »

Got some test prints done at Staples today.

They don't understand what I mean when I say "Print at 100 percent. Don't scale it at all. It's a PDF in the exact dimensions I need."  The marquee was about an inch too big on each side. haha.

I learned enough from these test prints to know that once I get everything printed in high quality at the correct size everything should fit correctly.

Also you can see in this pic the peeling laminate on the inside of the cab. Any tips for patching these spots? I thought about just trying a latex black paint.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2019, 02:40:46 am »

They don't understand what I mean when I say "Print at 100 percent. Don't scale it at all. It's a PDF in the exact dimensions I need."  The marquee was about an inch too big on each side. haha.

And that's why people let someone like Lucian045 do the prints.

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2019, 09:03:09 am »

And that's why people let someone like Lucian045 do the prints.

That's been the plan the whole time. Just wanted to get it printed cheap first to make sure that I was content with the work before I commit and pay significantly more to get it printed on the vinyl. Lucian should for sure be getting a message around pay day. 👍

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2019, 02:59:43 pm »
Also you can see in this pic the peeling laminate on the inside of the cab. Any tips for patching these spots? I thought about just trying a latex black paint.

Patch it before painting.  Bondo will work but honestly so will any kind of spackle.  Press it into the area, let it dry for 24 hours and then sand it back.  Hit it again if there are still divots.  Then paint over it.  If you don't patch you will be able to see the dings.

TheGreatRedDragon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 12:40:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2019, 12:27:26 am »
I really like this theme, but what I would do personally is push the contrast on these images even more. Knock it down from 12 shades to four, cut everything above 50% grey to black, and shift that bezel image into a night scene.

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 11:29:58 pm »
Welp. It looks like I may be rethinking the monitor situation here. I was adjusting everything and I realized that the horizontal width coil is completely stripped and cracked. I'm missing about 2 inches on the top and the bottom of the screen. It's a real shame because what is there looks so darn good. I know I can hunt down a replacement coil but that, plus the soldering is a big much for me. I may just prowl craigslist for a while and see what pops up. I may end up going with a sony trinitron tv with component input.