Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help! Monitor Chass Identification (MTC 9000?)  (Read 1970 times)

CHRIS-F

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:59:12 am
  • I always have screws left over after repairs :-)
Help! Monitor Chass Identification (MTC 9000?)
« on: August 04, 2019, 09:39:43 am »
Hi All,

I think I need to do a cap kit on my monitor, my game image is too big for the screen, the horizontal amplitude does adjust the image but it wont shrink enough to fit the whole game on screen, I read the notes on trying to identify the chassis first before asking for advice and have had a good look on a few sites, I am fairly sure it is a Hantarex MTC 9000, but looking at the MTC 9000 manual my chassis looks slightly different, the first thing I noticed is the switch for +/- sync is oriented wrong, so I'm guessing I have a slightly different model?

This monitor is from a generic jamma cabinet from the UK if that helps any and I think its a 19", can anyone recommend somewhere in the UK to get a cap kit for this monitor?

This may sound like a silly question also but should Super Pang fit on a 19" monitor, I assume that any game should shrink/stretch to fit on any size monitor, but just thought I'd ask, don't want to go changing caps if there is nothing wrong with the monitor, I also read somewhere that some arcade operators just replaced some components with different values when they couldn't adjust the image to fit forcing it to fit with different values, I haven't removed my chassis yet, but when I do It would really help to know if it is an MTC 9000 so I can replace the caps as per the manual, and if I find any caps that don't match the manual I want to make sure it's because someone changed them in the past and not because I have a slightly different revision.

Thanks,
Chris.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
Re: Help! Monitor Chass Identification (MTC 9000?)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 10:11:22 am »
Yes, that's an MTC9000. There's a few revisions of it. Yours also has the invididual RGB contrast adjusters. One of mine is the same. You can get cap kits in the UK from Swallow Amusements or a UKVAC member has just started supplying a more comprehensive kit, here:
http://www.ukvac.com/forum/hantarex-mtc9000-cap-kits-interest-check_topic371445_page1.html
(UKVAC site is a bit slow at the mo)

And yes, any standard res 15khz game should fit on the monitor witha bit of pot adjustment.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 10:15:06 am by big10p »

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 11:44:58 am »
Yes, that's an MTC9000. There's a few revisions of it. Yours also has the invididual RGB contrast adjusters. One of mine is the same. You can get cap kits in the UK from Swallow Amusements or a UKVAC member has just started supplying a more comprehensive kit, here:
http://www.ukvac.com/forum/hantarex-mtc9000-cap-kits-interest-check_topic371445_page1.html
(UKVAC site is a bit slow at the mo)

And yes, any standard res 15khz game should fit on the monitor witha bit of pot adjustment.

Thanks for that much appreciated, I've been putting it off because the voltages scare me in the monitor, but now I've fixed my PCB, it's time to be brave and have a go at the monitor :-)

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 12:33:36 pm »
Just make sure you read a good guide on discharging the monitor safely. Bit scary when you first do it but after a few times you can do it without any fuss. In my experience the MTC9000 is well behaved when discharging. You'll be lucky to hear a click or see a small spark, even.

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 02:34:49 pm »
Just make sure you read a good guide on discharging the monitor safely. Bit scary when you first do it but after a few times you can do it without any fuss. In my experience the MTC9000 is well behaved when discharging. You'll be lucky to hear a click or see a small spark, even.

I think I have Discharged it once before but cant remember, I do remember when I bought the machine over a decade ago, it was just an empty cabinet and the monitor had some kind of frame collapse, I took the monitor out still in it's frame along with the isolation transformer and a local old school TV repair shop fixed it for me, I have a vague memory of Discharging it, not sure why as it was still in the frame but I probably just didn't want a shock carrying it, It's a real shame those old TV are not really around anymore, my dad used to have a TV shop that did repairs, but unfortunately he never did the repairs himself he hired engineers, but I used to enjoy watching them, I was too young to play with the oscilloscopes etc, but I think I probably learned how to solder watching them :-)