Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I'm a noob again:( how do I play console games in mameui?  (Read 2679 times)

ivwshane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
I'm a noob again:( how do I play console games in mameui?
« on: August 01, 2019, 01:11:49 pm »
So I haven't used mame since it merged with mess and I've decided to give it a try instead trying to configure multiple emulators for Windows (I've been spoiled by preconfigured setups like recalbox).

So I'm using mameui (I'm not a fan of the command line), I figured out how to access the "software list" but every rom I try to run I get a "missing files" error.

What am I doing wrong? Are console roms similar to arcade roms in that you have to have a version of the rom that matches the mame version? Do consoles like genesis and snes now require bios files?

Lastly, how can I load games directly from the mameui front end? I see a list of consoles but I don't see the roms  associated with them.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 01:36:51 am by ivwshane »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:36:40 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: I'm a noob again:( how do I play console games in mameui?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 02:16:26 pm »
So I'm using mameui (I'm not a fan of the command line), I figured out how to access the "software list" but every rom I try to run I get a "missing files" error.
It could be that the filenames for your ROMset are not exactly the same as the software list defaults.   :dunno

Lastly, how can I load games directly from the mameui front end? I see a list of consoles but I don't see the roms  associated with them.
You may need to toggle software list view (upper left, second icon) to see the middle-right section shown below.

Select a file in the "Device View" tab using the "..." icon next to cartridge slot then double-click on the console/system to launch the game.

That will bypass any name mis-match with the software list.

Scott
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 02:28:05 pm by PL1 »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:24:05 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 03:51:06 pm »
What am I doing wrong? Are console roms similar to arcade roms I'm that you have to have a version of the rom that matches the mame version? Do consoles like genesis and snes now require bios files?

There are bios files that are meant for the version of MAME that you are running.  They need to be included under (if memory serves) the software folder (you would think it would be the bios folder).  I believe the intention was to separate the Bios for arcade games vs. consoles.  The Rom's don't need to be updated like in MAME, rather the naming convention for the games needs to match the ones in the consoles list.  The naming conventions can be bypassed if using RocketLauncher which passes the game along to MAME (don't ask me why it would work but it does).

Sidenote - Consoles do fairly well with 8bit & 16bit, but N64 for example is a mess, as are some of the newer systems.  The emulation accuracy requirements in MAME seem to cause troubles with those newer systems, at least that's been my experience and confirmed from what I have read in other places.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 07:29:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I got it to work. Apparently telling mame where my rom files are wasn't enough and the software list is just a list of compatible games (I guess). When I manually went to the rom directory I was able to load a rom.

Snes wouldn't work though so I'll have to figure that out.

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 07:02:15 pm »
If you use the method described here to bypass the Software List then a lot of things won't work properly as MAME uses the Software List to tell it what extra hardware is in the cartridges and how things should be loaded.  Bypassing it invokes, often incorrect, guesswork instead.

For Software List usage you have to consider things to be more like traditional MAME, where you need a correct ROMset with the correctly named zips in order for things to be found.  For NES roms the set expected by the MAME Software List follows the '1 file in the zip per ROM chip on the cartridge' format that you see with all other MAME roms.

MAME really should probably warn you that the bypass method is not recommended.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 07:35:04 pm »
Really should probably? That's all we need is another nag that can't be disabled without compiling.....

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 06:25:11 am »
well either better inform people, or drop the loose file loading altogether

the information being spread as things stand isn't helpful, and an important part of the message (that the loose file method has far lower compatibility as it relies on hacks to guess features and MAME doesn't really want to go too far down that route) isn't being conveyed.

again at this point most people have accepted that the so called 'nags' are useful information screens that are actually helping people, and for all the hate you give them, they're often lifesavers, and this would be no different.

sure makes more sense than me having to put this information in every thread when it comes up, because people seem unaware of it.  (and then there are all the places where I haven't seen, and people haven't been given that information so continue to do things in a way that's known to introduce bugs)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 07:22:50 am by Haze »

Robbbert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 06:42:46 am
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 07:17:03 am »
The picture on post #2 is quite old, the tabs are now called
- SW Files (for choosing loose software you might have lying about - may or may not work, as Haze explained)
- Media View (for loading software into a particular slot)
- SW Items (for choosing software from software lists)

SW Items is the current way forward. The software and requirements are listed in xml files located in the hash folder. You need to create (if not already there) a folder called software. This folder needs to be included in the list of folders under Options, Directories, ROMs, otherwise no software will be found. Next, the software itself is not included with MAME, you have to go search for it. Can't help you with that.

When you get the software and place it correctly on your hard drive, then click on it from the list (to select it), then double-click, and it will work.

Moksi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2024, 01:12:43 pm
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 12:04:39 pm »
WHat is the best way to setup the bypass method as im using ROcketlauncher.

Im currently using the mame console romset , but then as the databases with HyperSpin is not the same ,
You going to have to use alot of time to get the names right for all those systems displayed the right artwork videos etc.