Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My Racing Rig 2.0  (Read 16637 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: My Racing Rig 2.0
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2019, 01:08:20 am »
For guns I'm really waiting to see how the whole sinden/mars gun fiasco pans out.  The people behind them seem to be genuine, but this kickstarter stuff seems to fall apart even with projects with the best of intentions.  The open source stuff seems doable as well.  I doubt I'll mount a positional gun..... I'd probably just use my flight stick in such a situation.  I might add a solenoid for force feedback though.  :) 

Anyway, I guess some progress is better than no progress.  I've spent the last few days sewing the arm rest for the center column.  There's a hint of a wrinkle or two after stapling it down, but it's pretty good considering I did it by hand.  I screwed down the top of the center column and mounted the arm rest on a hinge.  Right now it doesn't even open to anything, but I'm thinking it'd be a good place to stow the keyboard and mouse.  I've also prepared a cup holder for mounting.... I had to cut it up a bit so I might end up 3d printing one in the end, but it's getting cold, so I need something to work with to get the hole drilled.  Finally I managed to trace a template for the front dashboard panels.... As you can imagine, tracing around those odd curves on the wheel's base was a pain in the butt, but I think I have it close enough. 

Unfortunately my phone died right before posting this, so pics will have to wait a little while.  Btw, as of an hour ago it's my birthday, so happy bd to me.  ;)

XSFDriver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2023, 11:02:22 pm
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2019, 01:36:42 am »
Happy Birthday Howard... another lap around the sun ;D Looking forward to the next pic's when you get to it.
Cheers  :cheers:

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2019, 06:18:43 pm »
For guns I'm really waiting to see how the whole sinden/mars gun fiasco pans out.  The people behind them seem to be genuine, but this kickstarter stuff seems to fall apart even with projects with the best of intentions.  The open source stuff seems doable as well.  I doubt I'll mount a positional gun..... I'd probably just use my flight stick in such a situation.  I might add a solenoid for force feedback though.  :) 

Anyway, I guess some progress is better than no progress.  I've spent the last few days sewing the arm rest for the center column.  There's a hint of a wrinkle or two after stapling it down, but it's pretty good considering I did it by hand.  I screwed down the top of the center column and mounted the arm rest on a hinge.  Right now it doesn't even open to anything, but I'm thinking it'd be a good place to stow the keyboard and mouse.  I've also prepared a cup holder for mounting.... I had to cut it up a bit so I might end up 3d printing one in the end, but it's getting cold, so I need something to work with to get the hole drilled.  Finally I managed to trace a template for the front dashboard panels.... As you can imagine, tracing around those odd curves on the wheel's base was a pain in the butt, but I think I have it close enough. 

Unfortunately my phone died right before posting this, so pics will have to wait a little while.  Btw, as of an hour ago it's my birthday, so happy bd to me.  ;)

Makes sense. I use my positional guns as flight sticks so I'm sure a flight stick (with a rotary axis) would work well as a positional gun. They are both just analog joysticks under the hood. The gun part of most positional guns is just a removable plastic shell with no electronics besides the trigger micro-switch and recoil solenoid. The stick with the pots is like a Wii remote. It just provides movement. If you put it in a gun shell, it's a gun. Put it in a wheel, it's a racing wheel. Put a flight stick handle, it's s flight stick.

I was tempted to buy an Ocean Hunter Arcade gun because I thought it would double up as a flight yoke with it's double handles. I was thinking the lack of recoil in the Star Wars flight yokes was a problem, even though the original coin op never had it.

Have you ever looked into what it would take to add a motor to the seat for force feedback on racing and flight games? I always thought it was awesome in the few arcade racing cabs that had moving seats. This high school kid managed to do it as a diy project and now that I've seen it, I'm not sure I can live with the jealousy:

Happy birthday. 21 again huh.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2019, 08:45:07 pm »
Hardware wise.... it doesn't take much, a universal joint from a car and a couple of wiper motors with an Arduino controlling everything.  On the software side is where it gets tricky... you basically have to hack each game to get the x/y/z of the car. 

Anyway, I finally did enough to add some pics.  I finished the center console sewing an arm rest, putting in a cup-holder and making a place for the gearshift.  I also Had just enough room above the pc to make a small glove box to hold a roll up keyboard and mouse. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2019, 08:52:13 pm »
I've also cut out the metal panels for the dash board.  I'm currently trying to figure out button placement but the angle of the dash makes it difficult to tell if a button will bottom out or not.  I hope to get the gear shift finished and buttons installed before Monday when we are supposed to get our first snow.  Considering the last storm killed my poor apple tree and I have to cut it out of the yard that seems unlikely.   :angry:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2019, 11:15:30 pm »
I went ahead and put 4 coats of primer on the dash tonight.  It's amazing how much that cleaned up the looks of things.... I guess that raw metal was pretty nasty looking.  I've decided to use the sega design ques and paint the dash the same red as the cockpit itself.  With decals it should look good.  Tomorrow and Sunday are supposed to have good weather and then it's coldsville so wish me luck as I have a million things to do around the house before I can even start on the gearshift and VR buttons. 

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2019, 10:53:40 am »
Luck is wished :)  :P

XSFDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2019, 04:26:08 am »
Looks good man... The arm rest and cup holder (Jim Beam holder) :lol look just right!...so when you hit top gear on a straight, your can is right there to have a sip (that's the only drink-driving I agree with  :cheers:) and the dash is coming along nicely (very Daytona-ish... I like that) But I'm curious how you've incorporated a uni-joint into it... I'm assuming it's for the shifter yeah?
Cheers mate.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2019, 01:39:34 pm »
That was a response to Zebra in regards to how difficult it would be to do a motion rig.  No u-joint used (yet). 

In dashboard news I ran out of red paint before completing my final coat and I'm not paying 30 bucks to cover 10 square inches so it's back to the drawing board on that one.  I've got some silver vinyl.... if I can just get the stupid stuff to stick....

XSFDriver

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2019, 05:40:27 am »
Ah, that makes sense (I watched the video later)... for a while I was thinkin'... "what the hell is he puttin' in there  :dunno but on here, anythings possible  :dizzy:

Also, dunno if it's any help, but whenever I've had to stick vinyl, I always use spray on contact adhesive (on both sides masked). A can might cost more than you think, but you get heaps out of it, I've had the one can for a few years now, it's really got sh*t, only downside to it is you've got one shot to get the job lined up right.

Cheers  :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2019, 04:41:23 pm »
I've got a few tricks but they are all a pain in the butt.  One that works well for me is to coat the object in primer and then put the vinyl on just after it gets tacky.  You just have to time it right... too early and it's a goopy mess and if you wait to late it's like you didn't do anything anyway. 

I'm going to check with the Walmart people and see if they'll print on adhesive backed paper.  It's just a little 5"x5" area so I could scan a color swatch, make a decal that covers the whole panel and have it printed.  If it gets pricey it'd just be easier to do it at a regular paper shop.