Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wolfware Howler lol  (Read 3376 times)

SigmaX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2020, 06:26:11 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Wolfware Howler lol
« on: July 23, 2019, 07:35:06 pm »
So a long time ago I decided I wanted to build an arcade cabinet. At that time, a new control board - the howler by wolfware - came out. I backed the project on kickstarter and the device delivered what I was looking for.

Unfortunately they no longer produce these boards and back then I had plans on getting a second and creating a 4 player cab. Since that's no longer an option for me, I decided on a bartop 2 player cab.

Yesterday I got a raspberry pi. I've been wanting one for a while now. I got it up and running and it's impressive, but the issue I have now is, connecting my control board to my pi.

Has anyone else gone through this. Is there a pi OS out there that emulates windows? (I have all the drivers and software for windows). Is there a Pi OS that I could use to connect my control board?

I saw a video today of someone soldering their controls right to the pi so do I even need a control board now? Any suggestions would be great. I would rather not purchase a new CB right now, but when I do I will be planning on a 4 player cab.

meyer980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 04:00:11 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
Re: Wolfware Howler lol
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 11:48:36 am »
I wasn't familiar with the Howler so had to look it up. Looks like it's either a gamepad or keyboard encoder? Pretty flexible. If that's the case - the raspberry pi should just detect it as such. Not much fuss.

The raspberry pi shouldn't be used to run windows. It doesn't have an x86 processor which windows needs. You could emulate it, but performance would almost definitely be terrible. Most people using pis to play arcade games are running RetroPie. It's a fantastic image with tons of emulators built in that have been compiled to run on the pi and a front-end all ready. Just add your roms and configure controls.

Retropie supports both keyboard and gamepad controls. So, as long as your Howler is detected as a standard keyboard or gamepad, you should be fine.

https://retropie.org.uk/

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Wolfware Howler lol
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 12:11:49 am »
You dont need nor want to run Windows on a pi. The howler is a keyboard/joystick encoder. Configure it with the app on a windows machine, then plug it into the pi or whatever device.

I backed the howler too. Switched to jpac due to project switching to crt. Too bad things with howler and ultimarc went the way they did.