Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade 1up Star Wars released and Discussion of Yoke  (Read 38190 times)

negative1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 03:43:24 pm by negative1 »

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
Re: Glimpse of Star Wars working demo at comic-con
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 12:21:00 am »
But that is still with the Alan-1 Yoke they already said they are not going to use in the actual production models - so doesn't really give any info on how the actual production cab will play !

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 03:59:40 pm »
But that is still with the Alan-1 Yoke they already said they are not going to use in the actual production models - so doesn't really give any info on how the actual production cab will play !

no, i think it was a modified yoke, would the full size one even fit on there.

they made this comment on facebook:
" We’ve had several experts and enthusiasts test our prototype yoke here at SDCC and they all came away pretty pleased for a commercial home arcade cabinet. It still needs work but we’re on it and and taking feedback at the show.
Is it going to be exactly like the $500 after market yokes? No, that’s not feasible. But we are confident people will be happy with our final product. We are treating the Star Wars license with love and respect and working with the Lucasfilm team on the code and artwork to make the best experience possible. This is not some 2600 knock-off posing as the arcade version either. This is a labor of love. Lucasfilm is excited for THIS home arcade product! "

later

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:09:32 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 04:32:37 pm »
As excited as I am, I'm going to need to see the actual production units. Not sure if this is a render or the real deal, but it looks all plastic. All plastic isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but I would like to get my hands on it.

https://www.cnet.com/news/star-wars-home-arcade-game-from-arcade1up-now-available-for-presale

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 01:05:03 am »
Arcade 1up Star Wars review:

later

negative1

• Offline Offline

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 08:41:19 pm »
here's more comments about it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/di1t49/arrived_today_couldnt_wait_to_get_home_and_put_it/

later

That guy had a pretty honest review. I wonder what the stress points are and how the plastic will hold up?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 09:05:13 pm »
https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/di1t49/arrived_today_couldnt_wait_to_get_home_and_put_it/

later

That guy had a pretty honest review. I wonder what the stress points are and how the plastic will hold up?

A little bummed it's plastic instead of metal. I'd like to see an internal breakdown. Is this a modified Alan 1 or is this a complete switcharoo?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 09:09:30 pm »

later

A little bummed it's plastic instead of metal. I'd like to see an internal breakdown. Is this a modified Alan 1 or is this a complete switcharoo?

I’m surprised you thought it would be metal.

I’d like to see a yoke breakdown as well.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 09:30:19 pm »

later

I honestly didn't think they'd be able to secure the license deal or build a yoke of any kind, so at this point to me, anything was possible.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 10:45:14 pm »

later

I honestly didn't think they'd be able to secure the license deal or build a yoke of any kind, so at this point to me, anything was possible.

-1, if someone posts a yoke breakdown, please share

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 03:08:24 pm »
sure guys.

it just came out, so someone will do a breakdown.

glen of GRS will have a metal one out, which should be cheaper than the new alan-1 yokes
though. his preview is here: skip the long intro to get to the actual preview:

later

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 09:09:59 pm »
I wonder if anyone could make an stl of the handles.  I made a yoke for my driving rig and aside from the handles it's pretty close.  I just used some cheap joystick handles. 

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:26:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 10:50:58 pm »
I wonder if anyone could make an stl of the handles.
Jasonbar made a model of the whole yoke in this thread six years ago.

Not sure if the source for the models he posted there can be easily broken down into sub-parts.   :dunno

It probably needs accurate measurements for:
- Trigger
- Internal hollow spaces
- Mount holes for the microswitches
- Slots for captive nuts for the screws that hold the halves together
- A different design for the thumb button since that shape is almost certainly too weak when printed

Scott

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 10:33:02 pm »
To me, this is the first Arcade 1up cab that makes sense. Regular joystick games can be played with a better experience in mame and for less cash with far more games etc. These dedicated cabs with custom analog controls have real appeal and are not nearly as easy to replicate as a diy project.

It's an awesome looking mini cab. I think they should do more like this except perhaps with some slightly newer games. If they made a Taito or Midway fixed gun cab with dual fixed recoil guns, I probably wouldn't be able to resist. Or perhaps a Daytona USA cab that would allow two (or more) to be linked. These are the kind of things people want in their games room.

If someone has gcode files for the yoke parts that should be metal, I'd be happy to give it a try on my cnc machine. I can make aluminum parts up to 31" x 12" x 8".

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 12:51:48 am »
If someone has gcode files for the yoke parts that should be metal, I'd be happy to give it a try on my cnc machine. I can make aluminum parts up to 31" x 12" x 8".
AFAIK there are no publicly-released CNC-ready files.

It would be a huge undertaking, even if they were.

With a typical 3-axis CNC, the inner part of the handle alone would probably require 3 jigs for left and 3 for right.
  1. Switch cavity side
  2. Tapered shaft mount side
  3. Two shaft-screw holes

The Alan-1 forums post here mentions that they plan to start selling yoke parts next year.   ;D

Scott

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 02:10:35 pm »
I'd need to see it to know what I'd need to make it work. My machine is 4 axis although parts without an undercut can usually be made fine with 3 axis (with a turn mid way). I prefer to use 3 axis where possible as my rotary axis reduces quality and / accuracy.

If they are using injection molded plastic for the 1UP yoke components then I doubt it would be too challenging to CNC machine. They usually have to make molded parts without undercuts or other features that would make mold release difficult. Plus, it's most likely that the injection mold was CNC machined to begin with.

If I got gcode files to test, I'd probably try it on something cheaper like Urethane foam first to see how it came out.

Out of interest, is the purpose of making it out of metal to make it more authentic (I can't remember if the original cab yoke was metal)? Or is it to make it stronger? If it's the latter, another option would be to use carbon fiber. The yoke handles and outer shell on the 1 up cab looks easy enough to make a two-part mold from.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2019, 03:21:58 pm »
I'd need to see it to know what I'd need to make it work.
See page 51 of this SW manual. https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-videogames/S/StarWars.pdf

There are handle photos on the SW yoke rebuild wiki page.  http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/Yoke_Rebuild

Out of interest, is the purpose of making it out of metal to make it more authentic (I can't remember if the original cab yoke was metal)?
Original handles are aluminum.

Scott

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2019, 03:42:38 pm »
maybe there will be some breakdowns of the yoke, but haven't seen any yet.

maybe once Glens is out, people can check that out also.

later
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 03:44:22 pm by negative1 »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2019, 05:26:57 pm »
I'd need to see it to know what I'd need to make it work.
See page 51 of this SW manual. https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-videogames/S/StarWars.pdf

There are handle photos on the SW yoke rebuild wiki page.  http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/Yoke_Rebuild

Out of interest, is the purpose of making it out of metal to make it more authentic (I can't remember if the original cab yoke was metal)?
Original handles are aluminum.

Scott

The handles look relatively straight forward in those pics. I can't see any complexity or unusual difficulty at all as far as cnc machining goes. It looks like it would also be fairly easy to do a sand casting of for those who are into that. Is that the only plastic part that should be aluminum?

I am assuming that nobody is suggesting replacing any of the internal parts? Plastic gears are not necessarily an issue for these things. They are used without problems in lots of directional guns.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2019, 04:21:13 am »
The handles look relatively straight forward in those pics. I can't see any complexity or unusual difficulty at all as far as cnc machining goes.
The problem isn't the complexity, it's that you can't do it with a 4-axis CNC.

There are 3 areas that need to be milled out:
  1. Switch cavity side (angled 15 degrees)
  3. Two shaft-screw holes

Note that 1.) the handles are angled, not perpendicular to the handle shaft and 2.) the shaft-screw holes are on the back of the handle.

Those shaft-screw holes correspond to the ones drilled into the handle shaft. (2nd part from right)

The CNC's 4th axis can rotate the work piece to mill 2 of the 3 areas vertically, but not the other one.
- In this case, Meatloaf got it wrong -- two out of three is bad.   :lol

The only two ways I can think of to do this with one initial setup on a 4-axis CNC is to:
1. Make handles without the 15 degree ergonomic tilt.
    or
2. Move the shaft screws from the back of the handle to the bottom and drill new holes in the handle shaft.

It looks like it would also be fairly easy to do a sand casting of for those who are into that.
Seems like a sand casting would probably lose some critical detail for the cotter pin and microswitch screw holes.   :dunno

Is that the only plastic part that should be aluminum?
Vigorous gameplay can exert a lot of force on the controller parts when you slam into the stops so it's probably best to follow in the path of the original engineers.

The S.T.U.N. Runner yoke used these plastic handles. (pg 32 of the manual here)

I am assuming that nobody is suggesting replacing any of the internal parts? Plastic gears are not necessarily an issue for these things. They are used without problems in lots of directional guns.
The nylon/delrin(?) gears (especially the 14 tooth one) are a relatively weak point compared to the tank-like durability of the rest of the original controller, but usually aren't a problem for home-use.

If you eventually do need to replace them, it makes sense to upgrade to aluminum gears if Alan-1 starts selling them next year.

Scott

Zebra

• Offline Offline
Re: Arcade 1up Star Wars released and Discussion of Yoke
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 04:31:08 pm »

The handles look relatively straight forward in those pics. I can't see any complexity or unusual difficulty at all as far as cnc machining goes.
The problem isn't the complexity, it's that you can't do it with a 4-axis CNC.

There are 3 areas that need to be milled out:
  1. Switch cavity side (angled 15 degrees)
  3. Two shaft-screw holes

Note that 1.) the handles are angled, not perpendicular to the handle shaft and 2.) the shaft-screw holes are on the back of the handle.

Those shaft-screw holes correspond to the ones drilled into the handle shaft. (2nd part from right)

The CNC's 4th axis can rotate the work piece to mill 2 of the 3 areas vertically, but not the other one.
- In this case, Meatloaf got it wrong -- two out of three is bad.   :lol

The only two ways I can think of to do this with one initial setup on a 4-axis CNC is to:
1. Make handles without the 15 degree ergonomic tilt.
    or
2. Move the shaft screws from the back of the handle to the bottom and drill new holes in the handle shaft.

It looks like it would also be fairly easy to do a sand casting of for those who are into that.
Seems like a sand casting would probably lose some critical detail for the cotter pin and microswitch screw holes.   :dunno

Is that the only plastic part that should be aluminum?
Vigorous gameplay can exert a lot of force on the controller parts when you slam into the stops so it's probably best to follow in the path of the original engineers.

The S.T.U.N. Runner yoke used these plastic handles. (pg 32 of the manual here)

The nylon/delrin(?) gears (especially the 14 tooth one) are a relatively weak point compared to the tank-like durability of the rest of the original controller, but usually aren't a problem for home-use.

If you eventually do need to replace them, it makes sense to upgrade to aluminum gears if Alan-1 starts selling them next year.

Scott

None of those things would prevent it being made on a cnc machine. You wouldn't even need the 4th axis (although it would reduce the need for two set-ups).

There is nothing that could be done on a manual mill that can't be done on a cnc machine but there is plenty you can do on CNC that would be impossible on a regular mill. The only things you really need a 4th and 5th axis for is parts with undercuts or particularly thick or deep parts.

Drilling holes is no issue either but adding screw threads usually needs a separate threading attachment. That's the sort of thing that would be easier, quicker and cheaper to do manually after it has been machined. There's only a few screw holes, it would take just a few minutes.

I don't see any fine detail that would prevent casting either. I can't see any fine engravings or other small details. I've seen far more complex castings although it wouldn't be my preferred method as I find working with melted aluminum terrifying. For somebody who already does hobby sand casting, it wouldn't be a big deal though.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 02:25:18 am »
None of those things would prevent it being made on a cnc machine.
Oops.   :embarassed:

I meant to say that it is impossible to make this entire part on a 4-axis CNC with a single set-up.

- 4-axis CNC ==> 2 set-ups

- 3-axis CNC ==> 3 set-ups (Switch cavity side, tapered shaft mount side, and two shaft-screw holes)

adding screw threads usually needs a separate threading attachment. That's the sort of thing that would be easier, quicker and cheaper to do manually after it has been machined. There's only a few screw holes, it would take just a few minutes.
Agreed.   :cheers:

Scott

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 03:46:06 pm »
None of those things would prevent it being made on a cnc machine.
Oops.   :embarassed:

I meant to say that it is impossible to make this entire part on a 4-axis CNC with a single set-up.

- 4-axis CNC ==> 2 set-ups

- 3-axis CNC ==> 3 set-ups (Switch cavity side, tapered shaft mount side, and two shaft-screw holes)

adding screw threads usually needs a separate threading attachment. That's the sort of thing that would be easier, quicker and cheaper to do manually after it has been machined. There's only a few screw holes, it would take just a few minutes.
Agreed.   :cheers:

Scott

I'd agree with that but it's not such a big deal to turn the part mid-way through if it's a one-off or short run. It's just part of the process with CNC machining at the cheaper end of the market. If you were setting up production of this part as a business, you'd invest in a decent 5 axis head and tool changer to make it a one step repeatable process. If you were making it for yourself and a few other members, you wouldn't worry about the efficiency so much.

It looks like that part is made in multiple sections with the front and back screwed together. If I was just making one for me, I might adjust the design a little to make each handle as one piece.

Incidentally, I just watched a clip from A New Hope to see what the original movie yoke looked like and Atari were way off. The handles are too close together, they are the wrong shape and the buttons are in the wrong position. And, even the deluxe cockpit version of the cab didn't have a moving seat. It's a shame this franchise never got an arcade cab that could do it justice....

It is just begging for someone to add a recoil project using double solenoids to simulate those Millennium Falcon guns that move back and forward when shooting as seen at 1.43 of this clip:

And a moving seat!

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2019, 08:26:34 pm »
some disassembly of the yoke:

another review:

later

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2019, 10:06:30 pm »
The Yoke review is nice. The "breakdown" video is disappointing.

At this point, this is looking to be a win for A1UP. They've been able to produce, what appears to be a good playing alternative for Star Wars. The quality for long term is still suspect. I know the haters are going to hate still (you know, pride and all), but I think anyone who looks at the Star Wars roll out should at least see the benefits of the lowered price Alan 1 yokes.

I have an original yoke and a USB converter and I haven't been 100% happy with it. I'm looking forward to testing one of these out.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2019, 09:00:14 am »
Quality aside it is crazy to me that a person could walk into a Walmart and purchase a Star Wars cabinet with a yoke on it.  I spent a lot of time early in this hobby planning a cabinet with a yoke on it. Imagine the hacking that would have gone on 10 years ago with this cabinet? 

If it gets marked down severely (it won't) I would consider picking one up to hack into a larger cabinet. 

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2019, 09:54:02 am »
Quality aside it is crazy to me that a person could walk into a Walmart and purchase a Star Wars cabinet with a yoke on it.  I spent a lot of time early in this hobby planning a cabinet with a yoke on it. Imagine the hacking that would have gone on 10 years ago with this cabinet? 

If it gets marked down severely (it won't) I would consider picking one up to hack into a larger cabinet.

No doubt!

I was selling arcade games for years. I'm sure the customer base I was selling to has dried up due to the availability. Seems my local Craigslist has had the same machines languishing for $800-$1,000 for a 60-n-1.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 05:29:27 pm »
here's the conclusion of the yoke review with an x-ray view:

later

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2019, 05:41:32 pm »

No doubt!

I was selling arcade games for years. I'm sure the customer base I was selling to has dried up due to the availability. Seems my local Craigslist has had the same machines languishing for $800-$1,000 for a 60-n-1.

My local CL is similar.  Either dried up or the same 60-n-1 machines just sitting there taking up bytes.

I think some of this is due to Barcades.  We have four within 20 minutes of my house and even more if you expand the radius.  My wife and I hit one of them about once a month.  Owning an arcade game just isn't quite the novelty that it used to be.  I have to admit it has impacted my own goals in the hobby.  Some of the "rare" games that used to be on my want list are not anymore because (at the moment) I can easily play them locally.  That was not the case when I got into the hobby over 10 years ago.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2019, 11:38:22 am »

Keep an eye out for this one.  Glen is targeting the $100 price point.  Even at $150 it might be worth checking out...

negative1

• Offline Offline

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2019, 10:58:58 pm »
Star Wars on sale at Walmart $399  - $100 off list:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-Arcade-Machine-w-Riser-Arcade1UP/820543701

later

pumaconcolor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2020, 07:06:27 am
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2019, 07:28:59 am »
I bought one from walmart's website for $399 and free shipping over the holiday weekend.  It's the only one of their products that I've thought was worth buying so far, and I'm quite happy with it.  I wish they would give this treatment to some more games, especially Tempest.  I always wanted a Tempest of my own.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2019, 01:02:57 pm »
I bought one from walmart's website for $399 and free shipping over the holiday weekend.  It's the only one of their products that I've thought was worth buying so far, and I'm quite happy with it.  I wish they would give this treatment to some more games, especially Tempest.  I always wanted a Tempest of my own.

I think these dedicated cab replicas is their niche and that they should focus 100% of their efforts on them. Anything that can be played with a joystick can be done better and cheaper with an old PC with mame. There aren't many logical reasons to buy one. Cabs like this with custom controls or ones that can't be played on any current emulator are far more exciting.

We all have memories of certain games we'd love to play again with the right controls but currently can't for whatever reason. When the right game comes out, it will be exciting for even the most outspoken Arcade 1Up haters. I'd like to see more like this but 90's games instead of 80's.

T2 and Daytona (with two cab link play) would sell out before they even went on sale.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2019, 02:38:25 pm »

I think these dedicated cab replicas is their niche and that they should focus 100% of their efforts on them. Anything that can be played with a joystick can be done better and cheaper with an old PC with mame. There aren't many logical reasons to buy one. Cabs like this with custom controls or ones that can't be played on any current emulator are far more exciting.

We all have memories of certain games we'd love to play again with the right controls but currently can't for whatever reason. When the right game comes out, it will be exciting for even the most outspoken Arcade 1Up haters. I'd like to see more like this but 90's games instead of 80's.

T2 and Daytona (with two cab link play) would sell out before they even went on sale.

some people care about the artwork, and some want little mini arcades for their kids or themselves.

i got the pac-man one for the artwork, even though i have at least 20 other versions of it on every platform out there.

they will keep doing multi-title cabinets, because apparently thats what people want.

with the current clearances of $50, $75, and $100 cabinets, lots of people are jumping in to get those, and to mod them also.

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2019, 07:45:11 pm »
here's an excellent write-up of using the alan-1 yoke, and putting it into an arcade 1up unit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/eg247o/star_wars_alan1_atari_reproduction_installation/

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2020, 10:38:40 pm »
The Kickstarter for the GRS yoke is up.

Early backers can get in for $150, and the retail will $200.

You can also get all the other spinners, trackballs, and joysticks they're making:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tstick/grs-arcade-flight-yokeusb

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2020, 02:14:53 pm »
Reassmbly of the Yoke:

later

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2020, 11:40:20 pm »
That's actually a pretty solid design.  The parts they are using are similar to what you'd find in a ~$100 steering wheel for a modern console.... not top shelf but not crap either.  It's a very simple design as well... it could be copied rather easily.