Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade 1up Star Wars released and Discussion of Yoke  (Read 38301 times)

negative1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Arcade 1up Star Wars released and Discussion of Yoke
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2020, 11:46:37 am »
modding the yoke with an APAC to be USB compatible:

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2020, 02:16:36 am »
Update on GRS yoke:

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2020, 02:43:43 pm »
Glens star wars yoke should be out next week.

later

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2020, 09:59:59 pm »

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2020, 11:03:06 pm »

not bad for $200,
works with PC, arcade, and arcade 1up...   had USB
and 2 extra buttons.

sounds great.

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2021, 02:39:31 pm »
updated review:

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2021, 01:27:04 pm »
its in the amazon store now, $265, coming out in april.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L7TVCM2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_6zxbGbK5MB4Z7?fbclid=IwAR3c0S9rMSjoVbSLNVG_iR-3qah9divJ2HaUd8R8302fYaV-pNiAzDmOyxM

The traditional ATARI Arcade Yoke controller back in 1983 used potentiometers to generate control output for the Star war arcade machine. It was made with a combination of complex machining parts and mechanisms. This includes having to use a gear drive mechanism, potentiometers and a complex wiring harness design. The GRS Flight Yoke uses a complete redesigned mechanism, overcoming the limitation of the original design. The GRS design includes the following:

1. Non-contact mechanical structure with magnetic sensing technology to drive the Yoke controller.
2. No gears, no potentiometer. Maximize precision, durability and the stability of the yoke controller.
3. Support new games!! ( Elite dangerous, STAR WARS: SQUADRONS etc.)The GRS Flight Yoke uses the standard USB interface. It will be recognized as gamepad controller on Windows/Linux/Raspberry Pi and can be used in any emulation platform that supports an analog joystick or mouse with 6 independent buttons including the functional buttons. So it’s more than just a yoke controller.
4. Physical Inertia Centering mechanism, a more accurate result and less re-calibration needed for the analog joystick. 
5. 2 Buttons + 2 Triggers + 2 Functional Buttons (6 total) are recognized as Independent gamepad controller buttons.
6. Complete metal structure is used(handle grips are made with high strength hardened engineering plastic).
7. Mouse mode: Allow more game flexibility. The GRS Yoke can be used for games that use a mouse over an analog joystick.
8. Vertical direction reverse switching: Allow user to switch the direction of pitch without digging into the input configuration.
9. Arcade1UP Star War Arcade ready. Arcade Quality replacement yoke for your Star War Arcade1UP.
10. ATGames Legends Ultimate compatibility via USB port with Mouse or gamepad joystick mode.
11. Commercial Arcade Compatibility. Potentiometer signal output.

later
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:35:01 pm by negative1 »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2021, 06:18:43 pm »
$349 for the Alan-1 Yoke: https://alan-1.com/product/alan-1-star-wars-flight-yoke/ I wonder if the price difference is worth it. I like that the GRS Yoke has a default USB plug for connectivity to a computer, as well as pinouts for an original star wars and Arcade1up.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2021, 01:37:48 am »
Here's my problem with the grs.... if I'm paying over 100 for a game controller it better be as close to an exact replica as possible.  The new internals might be arguably better, but that makes it feel less like the original, which kind of defeats the purpose.  You know if some of you guys with access to a real yoke could get some exact measurements perhaps the community could design a open source yoke.  It seems silly to me to pay so much for a controller you can play so little on unless you are restoring a star wars and need a replacement or something.

coasterlvr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2023, 09:02:24 pm
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2021, 01:52:19 am »
i have an OG yoke, Alan-1, and GRS yoke.  i rebuilt the OG yoke.  have used it with a number of usb adapters.  i play star wars using mame.  the alan-1 usb adapter is the best.  made better with the alan-1 yoke.  there pots are a little different.  i believe maybe made for them specifically?

i was part of the GRS kickstarter.  finally received it not too long ago.  playing star wars, it works extremely well.  the gauge of metal isn't as thick as the alan-1.  the plastic handles feel weird if you're used to metal.  the trigger switches are terrible.  i swapped those after one game.  they use just standard full size micro switches.  the thumb buttons if i remember correctly are some self contained square buttons.  very hard activation.  i'm glad i don't use them playing.  they're no fun to use.

the GRS yoke has a spring to center feature.  that's not how an original is.  so that takes some getting used to.  the spring tension feels about the same as the alan-1 and feels consistent moving back and forth.  something the stock arcade1up yoke does not.  i played the arcade1up at CES last year.  the accuracy imo is the same as the alan-1 with usb.  maybe it's because of the hall effect sensors resolution?  there's not jumpiness at all.  it plays great.

i thought the yoke was going to be much cheaper.  if you're a hard core star wars player, i'd get the alan-1 all day.   but it's 349 and you have to add the usb adapter.  so $449 to $265. 

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2021, 09:38:47 pm »
i have an OG yoke, Alan-1, and GRS yoke.  i rebuilt the OG yoke.  have used it with a number of usb adapters.  i play star wars using mame.  the alan-1 usb adapter is the best.  made better with the alan-1 yoke.  there pots are a little different.  i believe maybe made for them specifically?

i was part of the GRS kickstarter.  finally received it not too long ago.  playing star wars, it works extremely well.  the gauge of metal isn't as thick as the alan-1.  the plastic handles feel weird if you're used to metal.  the trigger switches are terrible.  i swapped those after one game.  they use just standard full size micro switches.  the thumb buttons if i remember correctly are some self contained square buttons.  very hard activation.  i'm glad i don't use them playing.  they're no fun to use.

the GRS yoke has a spring to center feature.  that's not how an original is.  so that takes some getting used to.  the spring tension feels about the same as the alan-1 and feels consistent moving back and forth.  something the stock arcade1up yoke does not.  i played the arcade1up at CES last year.  the accuracy imo is the same as the alan-1 with usb.  maybe it's because of the hall effect sensors resolution?  there's not jumpiness at all.  it plays great.

i thought the yoke was going to be much cheaper.  if you're a hard core star wars player, i'd get the alan-1 all day.   but it's 349 and you have to add the usb adapter.  so $449 to $265.

I debated going with a GRS or Alan-1 for a while.  The reviews I read confirmed your experience and the authenticity of the Alan-1 ultimately won out for me despite the cost.  Mine came today and it is pretty impressive.  Built like a freaking tank.  I'm not a hard core Star Wars player but I've wanted a yoke ever since I got into this hobby and decided I didn't want to settle.

Ravenger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 06:46:37 am
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2021, 09:30:22 am »
I'm looking at upgrading my Arcade1Up Star Wars with the GRS or Alan 1 yoke.

I love the machine, and the default yoke works ok, but my issue is that there's a very 'notchy' feel to the auto-centre on the yoke, that makes it hard to be accurate when the cursor is near the centre of the screen. It's almost like a dead-zone. You can actually hear it hitting that notch when moving past it. (I imagine it's the centering springs engaging as you rotate it).

Do the GRS or Alan 1 exhibit this behaviour?

I'd be happy to settle for the cheaper GRS yoke (even though it's not as accurate as the Alan 1) if it has a smooth transition across the centre axis.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2021, 04:47:59 pm »
Walmart has the 1Up Starwars sitdown version at $399.00. Was $499.00.  I snagged two of them, not sure how many they have in stock.

Something you can spend with your free stimulus check!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-Arcade-Machine-With-Bench-Seat-Limited-Edition-Arcade1Up/248851348

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2021, 01:20:03 am »
No experience with the GRS version but I own an Alan-1 and the thing is awesome.

My memory isn't this good, but it's probably better than the original even I would wager.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

coasterlvr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2023, 09:02:24 pm
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2021, 01:26:10 am »

Do the GRS or Alan 1 exhibit this behaviour?

I'd be happy to settle for the cheaper GRS yoke (even though it's not as accurate as the Alan 1) if it has a smooth transition across the centre axis.

there is a slight bump in the center.  i can't compare with the arcade1up yoke because i don't have one and only played it at CES last year.  if you play with a real yoke or alan-1, you know something's different.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2021, 01:28:52 am »
modding the yoke with an APAC to be USB compatible:

later

Could I use a spare Kade instead of an APAC?

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2021, 01:36:10 am »
Scott is the guy to answer this fully, but I don't know why not.

I have a U-HID making mine work right now and from what I know you can program an arduino to accomplish the same.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:06:08 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2021, 03:47:12 am »
If you have the GRS yoke, use the interface board that comes with it -- no need to reinvent the wheel.

I haven't tested with an A1up yoke, but a 32u4 Arduino should work fine with the Hall Effect sensors, especially after calibrating it in Windows Control Panel.

The old Minimus 32u2 (or at90usb162) boards don't have the needed A/D converters, but you can use the KADE miniArcade 2.0 firmware with any 32u4 AVR.
- MattairTech is out of business, but an Arduino Pro Micro, Arduino Micro, Teensy 2.0, etc. will work fine.

Grab the Mapper program and docs at https://www.sendspace.com/file/fbzg13.

Details for using a Pro Micro with a yoke, includes a pre-configured .dat file:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,154126.msg1713271.html#msg1713271

Details on how to build a wiring harness so you don't have to hack the Yoke connector on an Alan-1 or original yoke: (connector, pins, etc.)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134781.msg1542677.html#msg1542677

Scott
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:12:26 am by PL1 »

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2021, 06:52:13 am »
If you have the GRS yoke, use the interface board that comes with it -- no need to reinvent the wheel.

I haven't tested with an A1up yoke, but a 32u4 Arduino should work fine with the Hall Effect sensors, especially after calibrating it in Windows Control Panel.

The old Minimus 32u2 (or at90usb162) boards don't have the needed A/D converters, but you can use the KADE miniArcade 2.0 firmware with any 32u4 AVR.
- MattairTech is out of business, but an Arduino Pro Micro, Arduino Micro, Teensy 2.0, etc. will work fine.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,154126.msg1713271.html#msg1713271

Details on how to build a wiring harness so you don't have to hack the Yoke connector on an Alan-1 or original yoke: (connector, pins, etc.)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134781.msg1542677.html#msg1542677

Scott

And SOMEday I will get the time/space to utilize this information!
Have two Pro Micros myself that I am going to need here soon.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2021, 07:02:38 am »

Scott

Thanks Scott. 

I want to make up a kit for a mates birthday with one of the original 1Up Sitdown Starwars.

It starts to add up when you mod one of these cabinets.

I'm not sure if this video was posted before but the guy really shows you everything with regards to the SW Mod.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2021, 11:41:43 am »
I'm not sure if this video was posted before but the guy really shows you everything with regards to the SW Mod.
One problem with the video is how he describes the "potentiometer" (Hall Effect sensor) leads.
The guy in the video does a really bad job describing the potentiometer tabs.
- His "up", "down", "left" and "right" tab labels are at best misleading.
- The good news is that he did correctly label the ground tabs.   ::)
He names the wires using the default digital mode labels on the A-Pac instead of naming them using the analog mode functions.
- "Down" is 5v.
- "Up" is Y-axis wiper.  (Hall Effect sensor out)
- "Left" is 5v.
- "Right" is X-axis wiper.  (Hall Effect sensor out)

Also some A1up yokes have the wire colors in a different order -- see reply #4 here.   :banghead:

Scott

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2021, 01:40:16 am »
One problem with the video is how he describes the "potentiometer" (Hall Effect sensor) leads.
The guy in the video does a really bad job describing the potentiometer tabs.
- His "up", "down", "left" and "right" tab labels are at best misleading.
- The good news is that he did correctly label the ground tabs.   ::)
He names the wires using the default digital mode labels on the A-Pac instead of naming them using the analog mode functions.
- "Down" is 5v.
- "Up" is Y-axis wiper.  (Hall Effect sensor out)
- "Left" is 5v.
- "Right" is X-axis wiper.  (Hall Effect sensor out)

Also some A1up yokes have the wire colors in a different order -- see reply #4 here.   :banghead:

Scott

OK Scott you made me take a byte at getting of one of those OSOYOO Pro Micro ATmega32U4 5V/16MHz Module Boards and a breadboard so I can reduce the blisters associated with soldering the pins.

This thing is tiny but I can use the Kade firmware to get Xbox/PS3/PC HID support and Starwars yoke control, correct?

The question I have is about the PCM Mount Screw Terminal Blocks.  Do I have to have a breadboard to install these or can I just solder them directly to where the headers go?

Would these be simpler?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 02:19:55 am by Vocalitus »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2021, 03:43:27 am »
This thing is tiny but I can use the Kade firmware to get Xbox/PS3/PC HID support and Starwars yoke control, correct?
The yoke will show up as a HID joypad analog stick and 4 buttons -- just follow the User Guide directions.
- You can change the configuration if you need more buttons or analog axes.
- I've only tested on a PC.  That's what the .dat and the layout above were designed for.
- You'd have to ask Bruno to confirm about Xbox and PS3 compatibility, but the firmware is designed to auto-detect and adjust accordingly.   :dunno
-- If you want to use the yoke with Xbox/PS3/PC auto-switching, you probably want to stay pretty close to the default ports for the buttons (F5, E6, D6*, F4) and use ports F6 and F7 for the analog axes.

* Port D6 (default port for Button 3) isn't connected on the Pro Micro board.

If you want to avoid potential auto-detect/platform-switching problems with Button3/Port D6 on the Pro Micro, consider using an Arduino Micro, an Arduino Leonardo, a Teensy 2.0, or an Adafruit ItsyBitsy32u4 instead.
- Those four boards have more ports available than the Pro Micro, including D6.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,154126.msg1705272.html#msg1705272
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,154126.msg1670946.html#msg1670946

The question I have is about the PCM Mount Screw Terminal Blocks.  Do I have to have a breadboard to install these or can I just solder them directly to where the headers go?
If you get the very small 0.1"(2.54mm) pitch screw terminal blocks, you can solder them directly to the board like Jon did for the KADE microArcade.

Would these be simpler?
Pin row spacing is OK, but the connections aren't just direct from the pins to the terminals (some also connect to the ground plane), the number of pins is wrong, and the labels are wrong because it is for an ATMEGA328P "Nano" board.

Scott
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 04:04:52 am by PL1 »