Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyMAME - Input Lag tests 2019 (new method)  (Read 64036 times)

Josh128

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2021, 11:32:25 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: GroovyMAME - Input Lag tests 2019 (new method)
« Reply #280 on: September 21, 2020, 08:16:00 am »
Guys, curious as to why the higher frame delay setting in GroovyMAME actually reduces lag according to the OPs tests?  Shouldnt increasing frame delay add lag?  Im obviously ignorant about something, please educate me.

*EDIT - Did some digging and understand now.  So I guess the question is, is frame delay the only option in GM to reduce input lag?  Any other tips / tricks that might help?  Ive read certain versions of Direct3D 9 such as Direct3D9 Ex have certain lag reducing features enabled by default or something?  Any clues?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:25:36 am by Josh128 »

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #281 on: September 23, 2020, 08:05:56 am »
Groovy has been using D3D9EX for years as its default backend. You don't even have to write anything under 'video' in the mame.ini
Calamity attempted a switch to BGFX but it turned out still too laggy, so back to 9EX until further developments.

And there's no need for other lag reduction features when frame_delay's efficiency is tested and proven, with it we can drop delay down to pcb-level or close.
(in most games with few exceptions, and depending how good is your PC, of course)

edit: it could be replaced by a different method in the future, like the obscure frame_slice. who knows about the likeliness tho? not me.

If you seek to reduce even the game's built-in natural delay (breaking emulation accuracy and gameplay legitimacy though) see with RetroArch and its often nonsensitical mishmash of backends and features that include the lossy Run-Ahead.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:26:37 am by schmerzkaufen »

flybynight

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 06:30:47 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #282 on: April 17, 2022, 07:33:39 am »
I've set up a primative DIY input lag tester:

Crt
Led light tapped to the crt glass linked to super gun button 1
1000fps camera and manually count the frames.
(Oh how I wish the GILT was for sale...)

Hooked up final fight 1 pcb and measured
Hooked up cps2 xmen vs street fighter pcb and measured
Hooked up umk3 pcb and measured.

Then tested the same games on a pc running mane and groovymame to the super gun using jpac

I get no difference with groovymame vs normal mame. Frame delay does nothing for me?

Can anybody help with the mame.ini settings test see the best possible input lag for groovymame?

There is no definitive documentation on this and lots of incorrect information.