Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Black screen after EDID emulation on 7850&7870  (Read 1637 times)

Xenosis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2022, 03:16:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Black screen after EDID emulation on 7850&7870
« on: April 11, 2022, 03:45:29 pm »
I'm unable to get HD7850 and HD7870 to work with CRT Emudriver..

I got my hands on a some new Radeon cards, to replace my old 6770 card. But I have problems with getting a picture on my CRT tv.
Unlike my old 6770 both HD78xx cards dont have VGA, so I use a DVI-I to VGA adaptor connected to a ArcadeForge UMSA and then scart to TV..

When I have done all the settings and generated the modes, I finished it with pressing the "Enable EDID emulation" button, but then the pc monitor i have connected to the target DVI port flashes etc. but don't go black with signal warning like my old 6770 card did, but both 78xx cards runs windows 10 with a 480i 60hz resolution(very shaky and blurry)

If I diconnect the PC monitor and connect my CRT TV I just get a black screen in Windows.. I do get the normal distorted boot logo screens when rebooting, but complety black screen when Windows loads..

I have tried with multple DVI-I to VGA adaptors..

The new cards a got:
HD7850-DC2-2GD5
FX-787A-CDFC

Do anybody know why this is not working?

sittingduck

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2023, 04:08:35 am
Re: Black screen after EDID emulation on 7850&7870
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 12:58:12 pm »
I'm running the samme setup as you (DVI-I to VGA adaptor connected to a ArcadeForge UMSA and then scart to TV).
This may not be your issue at all, but I had problems with my DVI-VGA adaptor when I tested it beforehand on my main rig. EDID was not passing thru correctly. This was an adapter with all the pins. I had another one which had only had about half the pins, and that worked perfectly. So I bought another one of those before assembling my GM rig and it worked straight away. So maybe your adapter could be something to look at?

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 02:52:05 pm »
Have you tried re-generating and installing the video modes in VMMaker after clicking EDID emulation?

Otherwise it *might* be because your adapter, or your video card, or UMSA, or SCART cable is not passing sync correctly. Or, to put it another way, not being fed sync according to it's expectations. Too many variables to know for sure, and I don't have an UMSA for reference.

You can test for presence of sync voltage at VGA pins 13,14 (H, V) with a DMM (should see something close to 3.5 to 5 volts).

It might work better with composite sync enabled via VMMaker. See if that makes a difference.

I know UMSA produces composite sync output, but does the UMSA accept both composite sync and separate H+V sync inputs? Is there an issue with the DVI-I to VGA adapter somehow so that it only passes composite sync?

Exactly what SCART cabling are you using and does it pass the full RGBs?

Check out my completed projects!

Xenosis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 03:25:17 pm »
Okay I have tried a few more DVI-I adaptors and some DVI-A for good measure, but still not picture..

Generating and installing video modes did not help.. And enableing composite sync also didnt work.

I use the shortest and thickest VGA and scart cables i got.. the scart cable have all the pins and works fine with the old 6770 card, I can't really say more then that..

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 04:20:04 pm »
Fuzzy picture suggests sync, but I can't really say more without looking at exactly what signals what you are getting into your TV.

Another idea is that one or more of the VGA monitor ID pins (11,12,15) to your SCART cable are connected to ground, in which case you might get a false EDID reading?

Win10 has some special considerations, but I never use it.
Check out my completed projects!

sittingduck

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2023, 04:08:35 am
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 05:12:53 am »
By the way; I'm not running the exact same setup, cause I'm running Windows 7 (Simplix edition). One more note; I also chose the thickest and shortest scart cable I had laying around but the colors were all wrong. Turns out 3 of the pins were loose. After glueing them in place from the backside, all was well. So that's another thing to check.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 06:48:07 am »
Xenosis,

Please make sure your using THIS release, not the old one based on 12.6.

Besides, the correct process is Enable EDID emulation->then generate & install modes.

If you do it in the opposite order, then modes are lost.

Instead of switching cables, try doing it with 2 monitors connected at the same time: PC monitor through hdmi + CRT through DVI-I, in extended desktop mode.

(You said you have the PC monitor connected through DVI: this is likely the issue.)
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Xenosis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 07:11:02 pm »
I have now reinstalled the drivers and done all what you said, but still same result..  :'(