Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Howdy - Ranger Build here  (Read 8416 times)

Rangerkip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2019, 07:27:27 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Howdy - Ranger Build here
« on: July 16, 2019, 07:14:32 pm »
Got bored on Sunday (July 14) and started building an arcade machine. I had plans to build a machine with my brother in a 24hour/$100 limit challenge, but wanted to have an idea of what I'm doing first. This this project. As of the posted image I have 5 hours into the project total. (The second photo is when I first started)

My system is going to be an old Inspiron laptop, Dell LCD monitor and cheap $45 joycon + buttons, the cabinet is made of one single board of plywood, some scrap wood in my barn, and roofing nails and some deck screws. No formal plans were ever drawn up or thought of, I'm winging this entire thing lol.

I have $0.00 invested so far, I already owned all the wood, computer, monitor and such. Only things I'm purchasing are the controllers, power strip, and some paint.

Stay tuned! Suggestions welcome!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 04:53:06 pm by Rangerkip »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:22:05 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Howdy - Ranger Build here
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 07:57:14 pm »
Am I being punk'd?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:11:31 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 08:04:23 pm »
My system is going to be an old Inspiron laptop, Dell LCD monitor
Using a laptop adds some difficulty.

Depending on the age/specs, you might want to go with a desktop from Craigslist or a refurb from Arrow Direct instead.

If you do stick with the laptop, the first thing to figure out is how to handle the power cycle from bootup to safe shutdown.
- With a desktop computer it's usually easy to connect a remote power pushbutton -- that's not so easy with a laptop.

Does the monitor automatically turn on when power is applied?

If you're looking for button/joystick layouts, Slagcoin is your friend.   ;D

Good luck with the build.   :cheers:

Scott

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Rangerkip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 08:10:25 pm »
I'm not worried about laptop interface, the monitor will have an individual button for it (but may build a board that powers the the monitor on when the laptop is powered on), and an external button for the laptop, which will act like it's docked. I am going for an SSD and Windows XP for this one.

Going to have 2 external USB ports on the carbinet for the user to hookup a mouse and keyboard if needed and the joystick and first 2 buttons will double as a mouse for the GUI.

Not sure on software yet. But whatever I use will work fine, just need to find or make drivers where needed.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 08:53:18 pm »
Going to have 2 external USB ports on the carbinet for the user to hookup a mouse and keyboard if needed
Once the system is properly configured, you shouldn't need a mouse/keyboard.

External USB ports are great for player 3/4 gamepads.   ;D

the joystick first 2 buttons will double as a mouse for the GUI.
You shouldn't need mouse buttons to navigate the front end.  (the program where you select/launch games)

Using mouse buttons as player buttons is a big bucket of potential trouble.   :scared

Not sure on software yet.
What are the CPU specs? (speed, #cores, Intel or AMD)

Depending on the answer, you might want to consider an older version of MAME that requires less computing horsepower.

Scott

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 08:58:05 pm »
I'm not worried about laptop interface, the monitor will have an individual button for it (but may build a board that powers the the monitor on when the laptop is powered on), and an external button for the laptop, which will act like it's docked.

Maybe take a few minutes to work on the computer. PL1 is giving you some good advice. I have used a couple laptops for different projects and the power on/ power off can be a challenge if you are trying to hide the computer. Looking at your build, it wouldn't surprise me if you had left the laptop exposed.

For an easy front end, see if you can find Mala anywhere.

To solve both problems at once, check out a Raspberry Pi with a pre-configured SD card with a couple zero delay encoders.

Rangerkip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 09:08:53 pm »
my reasoning behind all my plans is to spend as little as possible. Already owning the laptop and monitor work to my advantage. I have a bit of a programming background and a lot of experience with emulators (none with Mame? apparently though lol).

I plan on using a standard micro-switch controller and possible hall-effect joycons, whatever suits my budget when I get to that point.

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 8200 (Model: PP01X)

I plan on a forward panel and a half-rear panel, the laptop will be mounted on a shelf that's accessible from the front or back; but hidden inside the cabinet.

I may just run windows 10 on an SSD and have a custom GUI autoplay on bootup allowing player 1 to select an emulator. Open to suggestions though.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:14:17 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 10:05:11 pm »
Dell Inspiron 8200 (Model: PP01X)
https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-8200-for-home-pentium-4-1-8ghz-128mb-40gb-series/
CPU Type    Pentium 4-M
Manufacturer    Intel
Clock Speed    1.8 GHz

. . . and that is why I asked.   :o

A MAME release in the 0.60s or 0.70s is about the same age as your laptop.

You probably shouldn't even try any MAME release newer than v0.106.  (major video update in v0.107)

https://www.mamedev.org/oldrel.html

Scott

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:30:56 am

Rangerkip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 11:07:06 am »
Dell Inspiron 8200 (Model: PP01X)
https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-8200-for-home-pentium-4-1-8ghz-128mb-40gb-series/
CPU Type    Pentium 4-M
Manufacturer    Intel
Clock Speed    1.8 GHz

. . . and that is why I asked.   :o

A MAME release in the 0.60s or 0.70s is about the same age as your laptop.

You probably shouldn't even try any MAME release newer than v0.106.  (major video update in v0.107)

https://www.mamedev.org/oldrel.html

Scott

Alright, I still need to research what Mame is, I know of it, but have no experience with it.

Being I only have a few hours each day to work on this (at most) I hope to be done with everything but controls (ordering still) and the exterior (painting and such) by Saturday afternoon latest.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 11:19:12 am by Rangerkip »

Rangerkip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 04:43:01 pm »
Spent an hour working on how the monitor was to be held up and the supports for the joycon panel. Final assembly will either put the monitor flush with the machine frame, or set back as pictured for plexiglass

Just ordered a controller setup too.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:30:56 am
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2019, 05:04:48 pm »
Are you using nails?  What are you going to do to finish the surface?

Rangerkip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 05:18:12 pm »
Roofing nails and screws at areas that need extra security.

Not sure on the finishing yet, might do a cheap linoleum and some molding, haven't made any solid plans.

This project is very rough around the edges, not perfectly square, etc. Just a test of my skills since being out of the woodworking game for so long.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2019, 05:28:04 pm »
I hope to be done with everything but controls (ordering still) and the exterior (painting and such) by Saturday afternoon latest.

subscribed!

:gobama

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 05:08:11 pm
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2019, 06:18:32 pm »
Linoleum as a finishing material for a cab build.  That's a novel idea.  I'll be interested to see that.

Rangerkip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2019, 07:21:15 pm »
I plan on going to Lowe's and seeing what they have in clearance, if it's nice enough I'll keep the pattern, otherwise I'll primer and paint it once completed.

My realistic budget for this build is $50.00. so far I've spent $15 on controls.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019, 08:34:33 pm »
You really should take a step back and make some attempt at designing something.
It doesn't cost anything to look at how cabinets are constructed and come up with a good plan.
It doesn't cost much to buy some decent plywood.
It doesn't cost anything to make things square.

This cab will not play well. You will not be happy with it.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:14:17 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 09:02:32 pm »
Don't listen to Mike.  I made a cabinet with dumpster wood and dumpster monitor and it's fun.  No plans at all going into it, and I painted it with Rustoleum Hammer Finish black and slapped two Street Fight 2 3D posters on it for sideart.

https://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-America-Street-Fighter-Lenticular/dp/B0057TA9GO

(I think I paid about $3-4 each ~10 years ago from another vendor)

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 02:52:10 am
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 09:10:01 pm »
I'm always glad to see people building things instead of gutting restorable cabinets or buying arcade1ups. 

You'll learn things along the way and find out if you like doing this kind of project.  I give you props for diving in with what you've got.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 09:10:03 pm »
I think Mike is saying that you can still make your design aesthetically pleasing, and still be on the cheap.  Look at the Vigolix, that's a decent design using 1 sheet of MDF. :lol

Personally I feel like the design of this is somewhere between a lowboy and a stand-up. It's somewhere in the middle.  At first I thought that's not bad, because I can see this having a decent finish and t-molding added to the side panels. But then I saw your monitor mounting boards completely covering the side panel edges, so t-molding is going to be difficult to add. Was that on purpose?  Are you planning to forgo t-molding?  If so, are you planning on rounding the edges of the profile?  That could help make the aesthetics a bit more pleasing to look at.  Just a thought...

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2019, 09:12:45 pm »
Don't listen to Mike.  I made a cabinet with dumpster wood and dumpster monitor and it's fun.  No plans at all going into it, and I painted it with Rustoleum Hammer Finish black and slapped two Street Fight 2 3D posters on it for sideart.

My suggestion would add about 50 bucks to the cost of the build. Thinking about stuff before nailing it together costs nothing.

Rangerkip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 09:21:51 pm »
I'm always glad to see people building things instead of gutting restorable cabinets or buying arcade1ups. 

You'll learn things along the way and find out if you like doing this kind of project.  I give you props for diving in with what you've got.

Thanks! I got really excited when my brother and I had this idea randomly last Friday, its been a ton of fun! He purchased a Dig Dug cabinet that was empty and put a computer in it, kind of an inspiration. But as a farmer/mechanic/engineer Ive always liked inventing and building from scratch.

I think Mike is saying that you can still make your design aesthetically pleasing, and still be on the cheap.  Look at the Vigolix, that's a decent design using 1 sheet of MDF. :lol

Personally I feel like the design of this is somewhere between a lowboy and a stand-up. It's somewhere in the middle.  At first I thought that's not bad, because I can see this having a decent finish and t-molding added to the side panels. But then I saw your monitor mounting boards completely covering the side panel edges, so t-molding is going to be difficult to add. Was that on purpose?  Are you planning to forgo t-molding?  If so, are you planning on rounding the edges of the profile?  That could help make the aesthetics a bit more pleasing to look at.  Just a thought...

I did design the control height to be ergonomical, and from the start I wanted an angled screen for comfortable play at extended periods of time.

as for the finishing of the exterior, stay tuned ;D I might surprise you. Or not lol

My suggestion would add about 50 bucks to the cost of the build. Thinking about stuff before nailing it together costs nothing.

I just dont care about this build that much, as long as it works when Im done Ive gotten what I want from it. This is purely for fun and to sharpen my skills for the second one I build (which will be a $100/24 hour challenge with my brother).

This is all scrap wood and old computer stuff I had in my barn and room. So no money spent minus the controls.

My plan is to wing the entire machine from start to finish, its really exciting tbh.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 09:27:10 pm by Rangerkip »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2019, 09:27:17 pm »
I hope it works out for you.

Rangerkip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2019, 09:32:12 pm »
I hope it works out for you.

It will =) Thanks!

Rangerkip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2019, 01:11:04 pm »
My girlfriend is taking me out for lunch today so the arcade machine won't get touched till later, but did have a fun update, I went to Goodwill and found an awesome keyboard I use exclusively now, and started setup on the $8 SSD for the arcade machine.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2019, 07:37:04 pm »
@Yots: wow, that was......ugly. And who doesn't like a [good] trackball? Plus, some games require them. Probably games he was too ham-fisted to enjoy.

@opt2not: It looks like a cabaret. I'm wondering about the corners. Will it look like a cab, or something someone made at home?....
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:45:19 pm by Mr. Peabody »

Rangerkip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2019, 07:40:20 pm »

@opt2not: It looks like a cabaret. I'm wondering about the corners. Will it look like a cab, or something someone made at home?....
Given my options Lowe's has for me, I should be able to get a clean looking molding and linoleum for the finish under $25, keeping me under my $50 budget.

I am expecting it to look presentable, but not professional. Not bad for a first run with zero research or experience in this field lol.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2019, 08:24:35 pm »
@opt2not: It looks like a cabaret.
I wouldn't go that far.  Cabarets are supposed to be thinner, usually stand around 4 feet tall and are strictly for 1 player.   Plus the angle of this cabinet's display is closer to most low boy cabinets.
Remember, cabarets were meant to be placed in lobbies and waiting areas, incognito places that can't fit a full-sized cabinet like the back area of a bar where the payphones used to be.  I can't see something like this working in those situations.

Rangerkip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2019, 08:59:58 pm »
Got fed up with trying to figure out what to do with the top, so I just chopped it down. Looks much better.

So far 9.5 hours of work since start.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:07:58 pm by Rangerkip »

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2019, 09:01:08 pm »
Can't wait for the scotch-lock and wire nut control panel wiring job...
%Bartop

Rangerkip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2019, 09:05:34 pm »
Can't wait for the scotch-lock and wire nut control panel wiring job...

I pride myself on a clean electrical job, as well as proper installation. This is small change compared to my actual job and what I do in college lol.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2019, 09:17:44 pm »
The pride in your work is self-evident.
%Bartop

Rangerkip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2019, 04:03:30 pm »
Software and hardware (minus controls that haven't come in yet) are all operational. For the exterior of the cabinet I'm going to sand it down, use some PVC L channel molding, the front will be wood grain or black and the sides will be glue-on poster, just need to find the right theme at the right price.

Might post up a video of the machine working closer to finish.

If I get lazy I'm going to do the entire thing in wood grain and paint either the front or sides black. (The woodgrain is textured and left over from a house project, so FREEEEEEEE)

Rangerkip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2019, 08:23:40 pm »
Convinced my brother to fly out from Minnesota tomorrow, looks like we will be building that 24hr/$100 budget arcade machine on prob Tues. Pics to come. This build will prob be finished Sunday or Monday due to extreme humidity, heat and rain.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 02:52:10 am
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2019, 09:25:35 pm »
...looks like we will be building that 24hr/$100 budget arcade machine on prob Tues.

Awesome, I'm doing a 9,000hr/$3,000 challenge right now myself!

Rangerkip

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2019, 10:42:10 pm »
...looks like we will be building that 24hr/$100 budget arcade machine on prob Tues.

Awesome, I'm doing a 9,000hr/$3,000 challenge right now myself!

I'll take a hint and say sarcasm? Otherwise it sounds like it will be a good build! Mine is just for the adventure!

On this build: a friend has sent me 4000 ROMs for several emulators, so I have a library ready to go, can't wait to get it operational either tomorrow night or Sunday night. It will prob be 2 player if my brother is able to bring his arcade parts.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2019, 11:15:29 pm »
I take it you haven’t been reading the other build threads here? Laythe’s build is pretty epic.