Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is there any difference in PCB to LCD converters?  (Read 1119 times)

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
Is there any difference in PCB to LCD converters?
« on: July 05, 2019, 08:41:52 pm »
First of, I know that CRT’s are better, but for now I want to use My Samsung Syncmaster 213T (a 21 inch 3:4) monitor with my new NEO-GEO MVS PCB, with a scan-line generator. I know they introduce delay but am hoping there is a model where it’s not to bad.

I have one similar to This if anyone has any recommendations for a particular model please let me know.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
Re: Is there any difference in PCB to LCD converters?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 07:56:01 am »
Several years ago I would have said an old Micomsoft linedoubler

from best to lesser for arcade boards:
XC15 DISPL (that one might require some RGB input modifications)
XRGB-1 (revision with 3pin/white switches on the back)
XRGB-2 (okay but might cut out a few lines of the resolution)
XPC-4 (nice but a bit complicated; read about it over at http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/)

Problem; they're all rare and overpriced...

Today the go-to linedoubling machine is the OSSC, it far outclasses anything that existed before, outputs HDMI and produces its own simulated scanlines and CRT effect as per the latest firware. You can also use it over DVI or even VGA with a simple adapter dongle: http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=Analogue_video_output_options_for_OSSC
For input unless you already have something that outputs it (like a supergun with scart-rgb out or jp-21) you might need a kind of converter to SCART.

There's an official store and forums called videogameperfection, but recently some slightly cheaper chinese knockoffs have appeared on websites like alibaba (quality/reliability unknown)

The thing with linedoublers is that they double (or triple etc) the resolution but carry over the video signal's same refresh rate, and the Neo/MVS outputs 59-something which a lot of displays like TVs don't like and might refuse to show.
Though PC monitors are usually more indulgent, in particular at lower multiples (linedoubling, linetripling) and might accept to display even sharper multiples (x4 and x5) so your chances are still good.

There's hardly anything else to choose from if you're seeking something better than what you currently use (the GBS-like converter pcb's), even slightly so means digging for hard-to-find obsolete scalers that will offer barely better results and about as laggy as the GBS boards. And really most everything you'll find on amazon is no better than the GBS no matter the price.
Or you could go with the following GBS mod project if you're into tinkering with Arduino's: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52172 (quite the hassle for litte gain IMHO)

Well, good luck. ^^
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:08:06 am by schmerzkaufen »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 08:35:45 am »
Thank you schmerzkaufen for the very well thought out reply.

I actually bought an OSSC early and love it. I love the idea of people using HDMI to VGA. I’ll look into the details for using it for testing. I see you can not get Chinese ones for $137 shipped. That’s more then I want to spend on video conversation if I do at dedicated cab, but if I go supergun console I already have one.

I’ll do some reading on the links you provided. I also noticed AliExpress super guns that have Saturn Game pad/ DV15 controller inputs with SCART/component out puts. Is there a particular model with a good reputation? 

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 09:00:18 am »
Yeah nothing 'cheap but good' is available unfortunately, what you need in your case is no simple 'converter', that doesn't exist, in any case it has to be a linedoubler or upscaler, therefore something like the OSSC...or the GBS boards...

There is nothing available in-between in terms of quality and performance that's easy to find or better bang for the money, you already own both of the best logical choices. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PS: Ali superguns: sorry dunno what they're worth.

EDIT: or, well, IF you get a supergun that outputs in Component, then you might be happy with a cheap DVDO iScan Pro (combined with a scanline generator it's nice)
But I don't know if there are any superguns that output real component...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:39:39 am by schmerzkaufen »