Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: And what will you be paying to watch?  (Read 4539 times)

Mr. Peabody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
And what will you be paying to watch?
« on: July 01, 2019, 09:47:03 pm »
I've been thinking about this. Netflix has had a huge advantage in magnitude of content (though most of the things I look for it doesn't have, or hasn't streamed in a while).

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/27/streaming-tv-is-about-to-get-very-expensive-heres-why?utm_source=pocket-newtab

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
Re: And what will you be paying to watch?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 11:50:04 pm »
I just watch less TV.
My primary source is an antenna and Tivo DVR.  There are only a few shows that I watch every week, but it's free and there's always something on. 

No one source has enough desirable content to make a long term subscription worthwhile for me.
I'll do a free trial or pay for one month to binge watch the show I'm interested in.

One of the primary reasons Netflix streaming succeeded is that it was a cheaper alternative to cable.
Nobody who cancelled cable in favor of a cheaper alternative is going to subscribe to more than one or two services.

I've come to the conclusion that there are so few cable shows worth watching, that I'm better off just paying for them individually.
TV isn't going back to the cable model, it's going to the iTunes model where people pay 99 cents for one track instead of being gouged for an album of filler tracks.   :applaud:

History and Science channels put some of their current season shows on Amazon video for a buck or two (for the entire season) before the first episode aired.  The prices went up slightly as they added more shows, as if they were testing the market.  I bought Forged in Fire, Battlebots, & Unidentified.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 02:14:16 am »
Seemingly I pay loads each month.

I pay the TV Licence, £10 a month,  that gets me free to air channels, I watch the news in the morning and that's about it.
I pay Sky £15 a month,  this is so the wife can watch/record various hospital drama's and vet programs, I don't watch it
I pay BT £5 a month for their streaming, that gets me all the football I could ever want,  so I watch maybe 1 match a month
I pay amazon £80 a year for Prime,  I've watched Good Omens, American gods and Lucifer. I really need to get the wife to order more amazon stuff.

Then I pay the best part of £80 a month for the fastest possible fibre connection I can get,  all my tv watching is done on that via kodi and other websites.

As for the future, I think I'll bin off Sky and get a freesat box then get rid of Prime and replace it all with Disney+ or whatever it ends up being called over here  :dunno :dunno :dunno

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 07:21:04 pm »
I said all along that this whole "cut the cord" b.s. was just that, and eventually streaming services would catch on and jack up the prices and/or content creators would just make their own streaming network.  I've got Netflix atm because it consistently has good original programming and recent movie releases, but that's about it.  I've stuck to traditional cable along with the premium channels (hbo starz, ect.)  Dollar for dollar cable is still cheaper... if you really watch tv that is.  The thing is most people get their cable through their ISP and get a considerable discount for bundling both.  When you ditch cable they just raise the internet costs and you are still paying nearly as much. 

markc74

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 03:30:11 am »
I pay the TV Licence, £10 a month,  that gets me free to air channels, I watch the news in the morning and that's about it.

The UK TV tax. Although to be honest while I don't watch TV much this is worth it for me just for anything with Attenborough or Brian Cox.

Netflix is pretty good and is probably our go to if we ever want to watch something - there's nearly always something decent on there (Happy was my most recent discovery)

Sky can do one. Never known anyone happy with it and the cost of it is obscene considering they still bombard you with ads.

That will probably be it for me. I see no value in Disney or Apple channels but then I'm probably not of their demographics anyway.

So ~ £20 per month for something I maybe watch around 2-3 hrs per week.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 06:14:10 pm »
I wonder what Disney-owned content will be available outside of Disney+? If any, according to what time frame?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 10:24:17 pm »
I think Netflix's deal with them ends at the end of this year, so Captain Marvel, maybe end-game and any animated features they made during that time frame have a chance of being on there.  After that though my guess would be that abc, fox, Lucasfilm, Pixar, Marvel and Disney proper will all be locked behind that paywall.  If you like their stuff it'd actually be a decent deal, but seeing as how I don't have any kids it'd be far cheaper for me to just buy the two marvel films and one star wars film a year I actually want to watch on Blu-ray. 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 11:50:25 am »
My plan is:
- Netflix ($14)
- HBOGO ($20)
- Disney+ ($7)

Plus the $80 1GB internet connection.  So about $120/month all-in.  Cheaper than the $160 for cable + Netflix I had been paying... but not by much.

I also have Amazon Prime but I order so much stuff from them during the year the free shipping pays for itself.  If I want to watch any shows outside of these streaming services (like Star Trek) I'll probably just download them.  If there is an easy way to sign up for 1 month and then binge maybe I'd do that instead but I can't carry more individual services.  I have Xbox Live, PSN and Spotify too.  It's getting ridiculous.

I do not watch any network TV any more.  The only think I need live is sports but only football and basketball.  Hopefully I can figure out a solution (where I can time-shift).

This is all such a pain to sort out.

mrhowell

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2024, 09:57:50 pm
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 12:40:30 pm »
Just use Cinema (free) and Area51 IPTV($7.00 a month)
What is that pappy?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 09:08:16 pm »
There is so much violence in today's movies, I just can't see paying for it....I just buy Vhs tapes over at the thrift store....Although secretly I have the season sets of Rockford Files just because he just is so hot....(And doesn't need a gun.)

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 04:11:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 04:01:11 pm »
Yep, going to lose in the Streaming Wars. Next they will go back to charging us by the hour for dial-up service.

I've been a longtime Netflix customer, as I love to watch movies. Only recently have I switched to watching more TV shows than movies. Netflix being our goto for TV shows.

We have Amazon Prime, mainly for online shopping. But it's also used for the occasional shows (hardly any) and some movie rentals.

I've also been a Marvel Comics and Star Wars fan since I was little, so there is a good chance I'll end up with a Disney streaming service.

HBO and others, will likely be a 'subscribe for a month' to watch a few shows, then drop. What I did with Game of Thrones/HBOGO.

mrhowell

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2024, 09:57:50 pm
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 04:56:41 pm »
Jim Rockford has a gun.  He keeps it in the coffee can.
What is that pappy?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 06:24:30 pm »
Jim Rockford has a gun.  He keeps it in the coffee can.
*Giggle...Whatever 8)

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 07:18:41 pm »
Here is my tv setup -

Netflix - Free (mooch a profile from my sister-in-law.)
Amazon Prime - What is it these days, $120 a year? I mostly use it because of the metric ton of Amazon shopping I do, so the streaming is just a bonus. Couple good shows on it like Highcastle
Local Air signal - Free - for sports n' stuff local
"Watch TV everywhere" - Free (stream service for cable tv channels using my parents cable login. Gets me a bunch of the cable channels like USA, FX, cable news, etc.) 
Private torrenting - Free. Everything else. Movies, shows...just stream it to kodi on my nvidia shield.

So between $40 a month for internet and $10 a month for prime, my TV expenses are rather small, and I can get everything except certain out of region live sports. If anyone has a solid, reliable source for out of region (american) football, please let me know.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 08:56:01 pm »
@jennifer: I prefer James in his Maverick days. He was starting to put it on and the smoking was showing by the mid-70s. I've been lusting after Shatner in TOS lately. I just can't look away.

@Vigo: it has to be private. They are getting on the torrents and tracking. I've gotten a few DMCA notices since last December. Got one with my VPN on.......  That's fine. I don't need to see those movies, just curious what's in them.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 04:55:49 am by Mr. Peabody »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 11:43:36 pm »
Here is my tv setup -

Netflix - Free (mooch a profile from my sister-in-law.)
Amazon Prime - What is it these days, $120 a year? I mostly use it because of the metric ton of Amazon shopping I do, so the streaming is just a bonus. Couple good shows on it like Highcastle
Local Air signal - Free - for sports n' stuff local
"Watch TV everywhere" - Free (stream service for cable tv channels using my parents cable login. Gets me a bunch of the cable channels like USA, FX, cable news, etc.) 
Private torrenting - Free. Everything else. Movies, shows...just stream it to kodi on my nvidia shield.

So between $40 a month for internet and $10 a month for prime, my TV expenses are rather small, and I can get everything except certain out of region live sports. If anyone has a solid, reliable source for out of region (american) football, please let me know.

I don't think that counts considering the amount of mooching you are doing there.  That's like saying "Cable is cheaper because I steal it."  ;)

With your value for the money, again, if you actually watch tv and not just two or three shows, cable is still the cheapest way to go.  As for the paid services your best value is probably Netflix and Hbo.  Netflix has a ton of original content and, right now at least gets a ton of blockbuster films.  Hbo has some of the best original series on the planet with at least one going at any given time.  Gentlemen Jack was really good and Los Spookies is their current outing.  Westworld will be coming later this summer along with Watchmen I believe.  They also get in basically all the movies that Netflix doesn't get... except for oddly some Sony films that always go to Starz first. 

I really like one or two original series on Amazon, but that's about it and their film selection kind of sucks.  They seem like the best "month at a time" service to me.  Binge watch High Castle and the Tick and then drop it.  I never have understood why people pay +$100 for prime saying they get "free shipping".  No you don't... you pay over $100 for shipping a year.... you'd have to be getting a metric ton of small amazon orders that are under $35 for that to actually save you money. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 01:57:42 pm »
I never have understood why people pay +$100 for prime saying they get "free shipping".  No you don't... you pay over $100 for shipping a year.... you'd have to be getting a metric ton of small amazon orders that are under $35 for that to actually save you money.

Prime is more of a convenience/get your stuff fast thing.  I let it expire last month figuring $120 could buy me video content that I actually want and pay for fast shipping the couple times I'd need it.
It has always bothered me that the "prime" listings of <$5 items cost a few bucks more than the identical non-prime listing.  So you are paying for shipping again, despite paying for a membership to get "free" shipping.
The threshold for free shipping is only $25.  They had to lower it to match Walmart.

That said, without prime I ordered some USB 3.0 cables on Tuesday and won't receive them until Wednesday next week.
Prime is more about punishing those without it.  :lol

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 02:28:11 pm »
Just checked my amazon account. I have 146 order placed in 2019. My membership pays for itself.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 02:34:09 pm »
@Vigo: it has to be private. They are getting on the torrents and tracking. I've gotten a few DMCA notices since last December. Got one with my VPN on.......  That's fine. I don't [need] to see those movies, just curious what's in them.

Yeah, I don’t touch public torrents with a 40 foot pole anymore, unless it is obscure enough that nobody would possibly care. I got a DCMA as well that scared me from public torrents, but never an issue with Private.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 02:36:14 pm by Vigo »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 02:56:32 pm »
I have Netflix, and Amazon Prime (for large amount of shopping we did after our little one was born).   I recently signed up for a free month of Hulu, which is about to be finished...  binged a bunch of shows and anime, but I probably won't let it continue the monthly. Their interface isn't as good as Netflix... for example they have no "skip intro" feature, which IMO is one of the greatest features of Netflix.
Though, Netflix is a pig on bandwith just navigating the menus these days, since it tries to load up previews in the background. I hate that.  Hulu is cleaner in the menu, it's just missing some key features for usability.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 08:22:44 pm »
Hulu has one thing going for it... Animaniacs will air a new season there soon.   ;D