Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Raspi & MAME Output System (RGBCommander? GPIO?)  (Read 4152 times)

WindDrake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2020, 09:49:05 pm
  • Electrical Engineer
Raspi & MAME Output System (RGBCommander? GPIO?)
« on: June 25, 2019, 05:18:41 pm »
Hey folks. Got one that's been leaving me scratching my head.

I see people are using various GPIO libraries to run inputs on the Pi, and that seems easy enough.

What I'm wondering is - are there any pieces of software that get the MAME output system to the GPIO? RGBCommander seems to be limited to output devices?

If I'm stuck using a Pacdrive & RGBCommander, does anybody know if it hooks the rank light outputs in Gorf?

I'm going to possibly be building a Pi to Gorf cabinet adapter and would like to do so with a minimum of components. The Nutting/Bally games (Gorf, Robby Roto, Wizard of Wor, etc) are notoriously crap hardware and a small plug-in Pi setup would be a good solution to the problem.

Zipper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2022, 12:32:50 pm
  • I've Built My Own Arcade Controls!!
Re: Raspi & MAME Output System (RGBCommander? GPIO?)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 08:47:23 am »
A late reply, but it's possible to pick up on MAME outputs using a PI (and then do something with it over the GPIO pins)... This post shows how I did it with Neo Geo..
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,155149.msg1629393.html#msg1629393
I went a bit further and sent the outputs to an arduino to do the credit LED too:

This was all over a year ago.. to be honest, I think we're very close to getting vanilla mame on the PI4, where it should run most things perfectly. Then this sort of thing will likely be very popular. The GPIO pins are perfect for MAME LED outputs.

meduza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 11:13:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • LEDSpicer wiki
Re: Raspi & MAME Output System (RGBCommander? GPIO?)
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 12:32:58 pm »
you may be interested in this