Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Lakka. Wow!  (Read 9404 times)

EssexMame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 10:52:05 am
  • Mame Weekender
Lakka. Wow!
« on: June 24, 2019, 05:29:14 am »
At last, a simple easy-to-configure front end to use on an old overworked PC. Install - Easy. Adding games - Easy. Looks and runs smooth, plays well (An Intel Core 2 Duo was running N64 GoldenEye without any problems at all).

Lots more play-testing to do, but it looks very, very, promising. I've tried RetroPie, I've tried Mala. I've tried XBox XMBC-Emu. All work, all are great software, but Lakka tops them all for me.

Why I'd not heard of it until now I've no idea, perhaps its just recently taken off?

Anyone else using it? Can't see that there is a better setup for an old PC ready for the skip.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Lakka. Wow!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 08:13:11 am »
Ive used lakka on rpi. Much faster than retropie. Used RGUI. But, i like tinkering and its not going to happen with lakka. Switched to raspbian lite and i compile what i need myself. Much better.

For pc, look into groovymame or roll your own linux setup. Or stick with lakka if you want it to just work out of the box.

General_Faliure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2022, 07:30:40 am
    • My Arcade Cab
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 07:37:16 am »
I have tried Lakka, it works well but it looks a bit bland.
I am now running Batocera on a core i3. There are several themes available which makes it look really good.
A lot of emulators are supported.
So far i only miss Daphne, but they are working on that.
https://batocera-linux.xorhub.com/#learn
My Arcade cab: https://goo.gl/photos/yE1KACHryQjCaaCj7
Core2 duo8400 @3.6 Ghz, 4Gb of mem, Geforce 9500.
Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE, Mame, Mess, Daphne FS-Uae, Mednafen and some more.
Mah!cade

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 10:03:19 am »
Certainly, it's one style essentially. I like it, a clean interface, but understand its not for all.
Since my first post I've discovered issues with Lakka. It seems to lose the setup/playlists for no apparent reason at times and some emulators like PS, Dreamcast, GameCube appear easy to setup but don't really work as expected. Same with old computers like ZX Spectrum. Could be something I'm doing wrong, but that's the point - I can't really find enough detail in the comprehensive seeming documentation. I'll persevere but always open to new options. I've probably got too many though - RetroPie, Lakka, various Mala configs, XBox CoinOps and so on. They all give different things, I'm still looking for the solution for all the emulators/games I want.

That being Acorn Electron, ZX Spectrum, Commodore Amiga, NES/SNES, Sega MasterSystem/MegaDrive, Arcade
Any others such as Dreamcast, GameCube, N64 and PSOne more than welcome (N64 seems to work well on Lakka)

General_Faliure

• Offline Offline
    • My Arcade Cab
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 02:03:29 am »
Give Batocera a try, you can run it of an usb stick and mount your games disk to it.
I installed it on a small ssd and my games are on a separate harddisk.
Mah!cade

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 10:08:57 am »
I'll give it a go, but looks v similar to the RetroPi one I have. If it irons out some of the frustrations with that though, great!

EssexMame

• Offline Offline
  • Mame Weekender
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 01:18:20 pm »
yeah, Batocera is neat - Easy to install. Running from any PC I choose via the USB stick. I've got it running on same one as Lakka - if USB plugged in it'll run Batocera. Otherwise, it'll run Lakka.

I can get it running for games on the USB stick, but struggling with the Network drive though. Do you remember how you did this?
I edited /boot/batocera-boot.conf from INTERNAL to:
sharedevice=NETWORK [previously INTERNAL]
sharenetwork_smb1=ROMS@nasdrivename:BATOCERA/share/roms [the drive I setup on my nasdrive - a mybook one & directory on it = BATOCERA/share/roms]

I had to mount /boot to be rw and then edit/save that file.
BUT Batocera now doesn't boot - hangs on splash screen and I can't even SSH to re-edit the conf file. Any ideas how I can re-edit, and how I should do the above to access Roms from my Network drive rather than from the USB? I could also use the PC drive - which has 100Gb free and already has roms on for Lakka (though I'd need to change the directory structure/naming to that which Batocera needs, and reconfigure/rescan those directories for Lakka which doesn't mind what the directories are called.
The USB is a 16Gb one so has about 14Gb left.
Any advice?

General_Faliure

• Offline Offline
    • My Arcade Cab
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 11:49:23 am »
Since the last update i can no longer find batocera in my network, so i have to sort this out too.
I haven't tried mounting a network drive either.
I have batocera on a small (32 Gb) ssd and mounted a local 500 Gb drive for my games.
It's still under development.
I currently don't have too much time to play around with it
You should try the forum on the batocera website (look at the bottom of the page), i have some knowledge of linux but i am not that good.
Mah!cade