Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Soldering Pushbuttons in CP?  (Read 1205 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm
Soldering Pushbuttons in CP?
« on: June 23, 2019, 06:16:24 pm »
Im debating soldering some of the pushbuttons on my latest CP.  All of the buttons are .110 sized connectors (except for the joystick) but space is so tight I don’t have room in a few spots for the quick disconnects.  Anyway, if I solder the wires to the connectors, do I need to worry about shrink tubing or anything else or can I just make a super ugly connection with a glob of solder as long as it doesn’t touch anything else?

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
Re: Soldering Pushbuttons in CP?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 06:28:31 pm »
Either way. :cheers:
%Bartop

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 09:36:27 pm »
Im debating soldering some of the pushbuttons on my latest CP.  All of the buttons are .110 sized connectors (except for the joystick) but space is so tight I don’t have room in a few spots for the quick disconnects.
Consider usng using low-profile "flag" QDs.

Only problem is that 0.110" flag QDs are hard to find.

Fortunately, you can make them from regular 0.110" QDs by cutting off the crimp barrel -- leave enough of a tab that you can pull the QD with pliers -- and soldering the wire through the small hole.

Scott

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 11:23:15 pm »
For servicing reasons, you might still want a QD though. I would suggest solder on a ~1' section of wire with a male spade QD end on it. Then connect to a female end on a wire that leads over to your encoder.

No reason to do much beyond leave a dab of solder. If you have connectors with holes in them, weave the wire into the hole before soldering. That will make for a very solid connection, although maybe a tad more difficult if you desolder later on.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 04:52:04 pm »
I've used solder, I've used quick connects... I've even twisted the wires on after threading them through the hole on the tab... it all works fine.  The one thing I would say about heat shrink tubing is that it makes things look nicer...if you care about that. 

On some of my builds the quick connects are hard to put on or take off with the controls in place, but if you unbolt the controls, put it on and then bolt them back on it'll fit.  You might want to try that.