Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: No image on my monitor, please help!  (Read 1745 times)

roy6585

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2024, 02:36:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
No image on my monitor, please help!
« on: June 17, 2019, 08:32:01 pm »
Hey all! Im hoping I can get some help on here from some arcade savvy folks. 

My problem is with my newly acquired Crusin World sit down machine.  I bought it with a monitor problem.  The monitor turns, gets neck glow but displays nothing.  I can start a game and hear it but no image.  I installed a cap kit with no success in getting an image.  I checked U82 on the pub board and got lo voltage on pin 5 and pulse on pin 6.  How else can I troubleshoot?  Is there a quick way I can hook up my pcb board to a regular tv?  Any help would greatly be  appreciated.  The monitor is a Wells Gardner 7500 series.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: No image on my monitor, please help!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 09:57:55 pm »
going to have to see if you got juice going in there first. power it up and give it a few seconds to build up some power and start warming up, listen closely and see if you can hear a ticking/buzzing noise...or a high frequency squeel noise coming from the monitor.... then cut the power while watching the screen, you should see some flashover of white on the screen as well as maybe stereotypical static discharge sounds.

if you hear a buzzing/ticking sound that gets slower and slower...your HV output is shorted.

if you hear a high frequency squeal, you deflection is running... you have at least some things working..more info will be needed.

if you see white flashover you have high voltage... means you either have a low screen control, low brightness, no video drive voltage, or no video input.

if you see nothing but black, no staticy discharge sounds... you probably have no HV and will need to troubleshoot further.

roy6585

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2024, 02:36:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 10:07:08 pm »
I'm getting a glowing Grey screen. I hear the crackle and pop when turned on and off. The occasional crackle while it's on. No squealing. I'm trying to attach pics here.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 02:05:36 am »
you got yourself high voltage and white (ish) raster scan that's not tinted any weird color.... so monitor looks good to me right now...just no video.

i'd lean towards a wiring issue on the video connection. maybe pull the jamma connector off the game PCB... pull the PCB out and blast the edge connector with a rubber pencil eraser and see if that brings it back. something as simple as no sync will cause no image to appear.

next i'd look at the video input on the monitor. those big lug pin connectors tend to break the solder on them due to how hard they have to be reefed on to disconnect. maybe just reflow them with some fresh solder to be sure.

there could be an issue with the video amp IC on the neckboard (LM1203) but i'd look at the other stuff first...it's all free to check.

perjmolsen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2022, 04:09:06 am
  • I want to learn, and try.. I NEWER give up :)
    • My gameroom
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 07:13:16 am »
Hi

Have you tried to follow the chart here ?  :)