Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Accidental 31khz feed to Sanyo 20EZ  (Read 1622 times)

chrishelms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2021, 03:39:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Accidental 31khz feed to Sanyo 20EZ
« on: June 17, 2019, 01:34:11 pm »
Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to the world of arcade monitors and have a question.
A while ago I purchased an original Donkey Kong cabinet with a freshly capped Sanyo 20EZ
I now want to play some other vertical games on the system and my plan is to go the Groovymame, CRT_emudriver route.
I already bought a pin edge card to convert the DK to Jamma and a colour inversion card specifically meant for a DK cabinet.
My plan is to keep the original board intact and use a Double Jamma switcher so I can conveniently switch back and forth through a little switch at the front.
I'm a bit afraid that in the process of testing the CRT emu drivers (or during bootup) I might accidently feed 31khz to the monitor.

Will this damage the Sanyo 20EZ?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 01:38:07 pm by chrishelms »

chrishelms

• Offline Offline
Re: Accidental 31khz feed to Sanyo 20EZ
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 04:02:46 pm »
Anyone have a Sanyo and has experience with it?
I managed to get ATOM-15 and CRT_emudriver working, but i heard that windows changes resolutions during bootup. Just don't want to damage this awesome screen...

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 08:07:37 pm »
IF you've patched the GPU bios with Atom15 set to 15kHz-only, and flashed it to the card, then that card's bios is only capable of outputting 15kHz during boot. When Windows takes over, crt_emudriver will deliver 15kHz as well. How it delivers these modes means that even though your desktop and all installed resolutions are stable, you might get a flickover screen that jumps vertically while Windows loads. But it only lasts for a fraction of a second, and should not be a problem.

The only thing to look out for is how sensitive the Sanyo 20EZ chassis is. If it can handle a standard arcade range of about 15.5 to 16.2 kHz happily, then you should be fine.

chrishelms

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 12:25:22 am »
Ok sweet, thanks for the feedback! My monitor displays: "Out of sync / 150.0 Hz" so I'm pretty sure the bios mod worked. Still having some issues with crt_emudriver. Do you have good instructions by chance to set it up for vertical use and what modes to use?

chrishelms

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 06:07:24 pm »
IF you've patched the GPU bios with Atom15 set to 15kHz-only, and flashed it to the card, then that card's bios is only capable of outputting 15kHz during boot. When Windows takes over, crt_emudriver will deliver 15kHz as well. How it delivers these modes means that even though your desktop and all installed resolutions are stable, you might get a flickover screen that jumps vertically while Windows loads. But it only lasts for a fraction of a second, and should not be a problem.

The only thing to look out for is how sensitive the Sanyo 20EZ chassis is. If it can handle a standard arcade range of about 15.5 to 16.2 kHz happily, then you should be fine.
hey buttersoft, just wanted to say thanks for your awesome guide. i was really confused about super resolutions and why edid emulation is a good thing, so thanks for clearing this up.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 06:09:08 pm by chrishelms »