Main > Lightguns

SAMCO DIY Arduino Powered IR Light Gun

<< < (29/32) > >>

DeKay:
Hey Prow.  You and Samco are doing great work here!  I sent you a few minor fixes for things I tripped over getting my ItsyBitsy M4 set up this weekend in a github pull request.  I really have to learn to use git properly one of these days   :)

woordmand:

--- Quote from: Prow on August 07, 2021, 01:06:48 pm ---I made an enhanced version of the SAMCO project. The enhancements are:

* Increased precision for maths and mouse pointer position
* Glitch-free DFRobot positioning (DFRobotIRPositionEx library)
* IR camera sensitivity adjustment (DFRobotIRPositionEx library)
* Optional averaging modes can be enabled to slightly reduce mouse position jitter
* Enhanced button debouncing and handling (LightgunButtons library)
* Modified AbsMouse to be a 5 button device (AbsMouse5 library)
* Multiple calibration profiles
* Save settings and calibration profiles to flash memory (SAMD) or EEPROM (ATmega32U4)
* Built in Processing mode for use with the SAMCO Processing sketch
Much of the code was re-worked but the positioning math calculation is all from SAMCO. It is fantastic how well this works!

One big change is with the button handling code that allows button combinations. For example, you can assign a button combination to enter pause mode that you will never press while playing a game so the reload button can be assigned a mouse button or key press.

The other big enhancement is the calibration profiles. I found myself sometimes wanting to play on my big screen TV and other times on my monitor. Combine that with 4:3 aspect ratio games requiring different calibration data, adding multiple profiles is an obvious solution. While the calibration procedure is simple, it's even faster to just press a button to select a profile.

Support for the ATmega32U4 boards was a bit of a last minute addition and not as well tested, but it should work (though I haven't tested saving to EEPROM).

The buttons in the sketch are configured for a SAMCO 2.0 GunCon 2 build. If your gun has different button pin assignments then you will have to modify the sketch.

You can get the source code from: https://github.com/Prow7/ir-light-gun
See the readme files on GitHub for more details.

Big thanks to Samco for this project. Your custom PCB made it super easy to mod a GunCon 2! Also thanks to Gustavo for his Apexel lens adapter models. A fantastic solution to the less than ideal narrow FOV that the camera has.

--- End quote ---
I used your improved version of sanco firmware on 32U4, it is really good.  But compared to gun4ir, it lacks support for electromagnets.  Calibration is not very friendly either.  Hope to see the updated version of the firmware.

sparehead1:
Hi there! I've ordered some Samco boards, guncon 2's, cameras, and itsy-bitsy M4's. I want to use them on a projector screen so I was wondering if there are guides for the distance from the screen in relation to screen size? Can I use fish eye or wide-angle lenses? Should I still use Wii sensor bars or can I use 4 IR LED's spaced out a little more? Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to building them!

Prow:

--- Quote from: sparehead1 on January 07, 2022, 05:49:23 am ---Hi there! I've ordered some Samco boards, guncon 2's, cameras, and itsy-bitsy M4's. I want to use them on a projector screen so I was wondering if there are guides for the distance from the screen in relation to screen size? Can I use fish eye or wide-angle lenses? Should I still use Wii sensor bars or can I use 4 IR LED's spaced out a little more? Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to building them!

--- End quote ---
From my experience you will want to use at least a wide angle lens.

If you already have 2 Wii sensor bars then might as well just try it out with them first.

For a bit of reference, I use sensor bars from an original EMS LCD TopGun which have the IR emitters approximately 33cm apart. I have a super wide angle lens on my gun (the FOV is less than a fish eye lens) and I can be positioned around 2M away from my 65" TV.

sparehead1:
Thanks Prow :)

I dont have sensor bars yet so I think I'll make some IR LED arrays. Any recommendations for super wide or fish eye lens's? I want to use it on my 110" screen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version