Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My Console Collection.  (Read 5009 times)

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
My Console Collection.
« on: June 13, 2019, 11:02:22 pm »
Since almost loosing my console collection in a flood at my dads house (Thank God for plastic bins), I have been slowly building a gaming setup in one of his extra bed rooms. This is a place holder for when I have a place with enough space to take it with me. But for now it's a nice additional activity when visiting and is a much better way to store my old consoles.

I just added a Sony Trinitron KV-27FS200. I'm looking into RGB modding it and I have been reading up on the issue on shmups.system11.org

Here are some pics.

32X and a few other items are out of this photo.

Even though I'm considering RGB modding the TV, I may just use component via SCART to component devise. Also, if a system is rarely used and upgrading the video signal is not reasonably priced and is difficult, I'll just keep the original video output. In general S-video is good enough and quality component is so close to RGB no one will see the difference anyway. I have also been building up my SD card/multi cart collection.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 08:49:09 am by Locke141 »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
Re: My Console Collection.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 12:19:06 pm »
Looks awesome! I'm jealous of the 2 Sega CD's. I know that there are probably less than half a dozen games on there that I would play, but I'm still always looking out for a reasonably priced one. Ditto for TurboGrafx, probably missed the boat on both. Oh, well. Thanks again for sharing.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 12:55:49 pm »
And he's got a Power Base Converter.  There were dozens of us!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 01:24:11 pm »
Heh. 

In regards to rgb modding, I think the main reason to do it is convenience more than anything else.  Sure s-video and component tvs are readily available, but many consoles don't offer either of those options.... your options are composite (bleh!) or raw rgb.  Hack the rgb of a tv into a scart connector and for the vast majority of consoles all you have to do to get a quality output is fork over 5 bucks on aliexpress/ebay to get a scart cable for that particular console. 

I've got a 25 incher I've been meaning to mod for forever.....round tube so it works on light guns as well, but it's an off brand, so I don't know how available the jungle pinout is. 

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 01:27:10 pm »
Is that a Colecovision near the middle of the right shelf? That was my first console. We had the 2600 expansion module and a SuperCharger with around four of the games on cassette.

How do you plan to connect all of these to the tv? Just a massive input switcher?

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 08:12:49 pm »
The power base converter was bought used at my local video game store back in the 90’s. I also have the Master Gear converter for my game gear. At the time the old Sega stuff was cheep and I bought up a bunch of second hand stuff including a whole lot of game.

Yes on the ColecoVision. I had two before the flood, both bought cheep at thrift stores/garage sale in the 90’s. A lot of my gear seems to have been lost during the clean up, including my power glove.

Howard, I may buy a SCART RGD to Component converter. They have almost no lag, are relatively cheep($50), and are a lot less work. However, I’m very tempted to do the RGB mod just for the experience.
Just bought a cheep small RF adapters for the 70’s Pong like consoles, of which I have 3. One needs to be repaired. The ColecoVision will probably get a Composite mod, at least until a cheep simple RGB mod is possible.

For now, I take each system down to play and pull a labeled ziplock baggie with all the cables for that system. A more elegant system is in planing. At least for now, three of the systems best video output is S-video, so they will be on my old S-video switch.

Also, look what I got off eBay.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 06:28:31 am by Locke141 »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 11:55:04 pm »
What, no Vectrex? Pffft.  ::)

Just kidding, nice collection and set-up. I’m envious of you guys and your dedicated gaming spaces.  :applaud:

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 06:48:44 am »
What, no Vectrex? Pffft.  ::)

Just kidding, nice collection and set-up. I’m envious of you guys and your dedicated gaming spaces.  :applaud:

Thanks,
My wife's friend has a Vectrex collect dust in her basement. Have asked her if I can buy it, she is going to ask her son. Hoping to get it at a good price. I generally won’t pay with a lot of these systems are going for these days, almost all my old systems that weren’t bought new or picked up second hand before they were collectible. Been kicking my self for not buying an Neo Geo AES before the prices jumped. Have started to look for an original single slot MVS, for doing ether a slim cab build or a super gun console build. You can buy them pre made on AliExpress, but they use knock off MVS’s.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 09:10:26 am by Locke141 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 02:16:41 pm »
I bought a mvs 1b off of aliexpress and have been spending the past month or so consoling it.  90% of the time I've spent has been working towards getting it to look nice.... the actual modding required to get it running should only take you an afternoon.  I just stereo modded it, ran the rgb straight into a scart to hdmi converter and soldered on the gamepad connectors.  They even sell solderless connectors on aliexpress with screw terminals on the other end

The 1c is also an inexpensive option, but I wanted a front loading console so that it'd fit easily in an entertainment center.  I'm guessing a lot of people that order those pre-built units have forgotten how frikkin huge the carts are... no friggin way that'd fit in your average setup with room to pull the cart out. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 04:12:32 pm »
Howard,

You going to unibios it? Did you get the cheep all in one cards? if so are you going to try torepair/upgrade it?  The only thing with the Aliexpress ones is they are all knock offs. I kind of want all originals.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 05:48:47 pm »
This board seems original anyway... all the chips were snk branded and it had 20 years worth of grime on the casing.  I got the 161 in 1 and I haven't really found any problem games yet.  I'm no neo geo expert though so it very well could be I'm just not familiar enough with the games.  I've heard that they are constantly upgrading the boards in those carts so some of the old issues may be fixed.  Now that I know how that add-on card works I'd kind of like to get my hands on a 138 in 1.  Where it uses a simple set of bits to set the game I could throw an Arduino in there and a lcd and build a little menu on the cart shell itself.  I could also expand upon that in the future, like building a whole cab and having the Arduino also control a lcd screen for the mini marquee. 

I haven't put a unibios in it yet because I really haven't seen the need.  Yeah the menu on the 161 in 1 kind of sucks, but is it +$60 upgrade bad? I'm not sure yet.  For the 1b and 1c you have to also get a neo bios master card, which is another 15-30 bucks in addition to the unibios fee.  I'm sure I'll put one in later.... doesn't look terribly hard.  Occasionally they surface on ebay because the board is open-source, but you have to solder on the chip socket and it looks like it'd be tricky.  There is the option to remove the chip completely and solder directly to it, but those traces look kind of small... I could see myself screwing it up. 

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 06:46:27 pm »
I highly recommend the unibios. You can set your board to AES mode, which gives you extra play options for the games just like the home console, like freeplay and training modes for the fighting games. It’s perfect for a consolized MVS. There are many other benefits, especially with the 161-n-1 carts which the unibios supports “mix and match” randomizing, which is great if you can’t decide on a game to play.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 08:43:15 pm »
This board seems original anyway... all the chips were snk branded and it had 20 years worth of grime on the casing.

I’m interested in getting more info, PM sent. I really want an MVS but been prioritizing getting what I have setup and ready to go.

Hoping to get some time this summer to work throw my do do list.

At the top of my list is:
1: Updated OPL on my PS2 memory card so I can use my 2TB hard drive full of PS2 games. It takes like an HR to load the menu in HD loader.
2: Install my PSIO on my original PlayStation
3: GDEMU Install and test.
4: Soft moving one of my Original Xbox's to XBMC and fill with only original Xbox games
5: RGB mod one of my NES’s, thinking the top loader.
6: This is closer to 1 then 6 but will be ongoing, cable organization and management.
Much lower down the list or just general ongoing.
Build mounts for all my light guns for a gun wall.
Keep collecting multi carts and SD/USB/HD game loader solutions.
A interesting way to display/ store my controllers.
Get a PC engine, one day I may buy a Super SD System 3

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 09:19:56 pm by Locke141 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 09:30:48 am »
Just ordered the same model MVS as Howard.

You guys think a Molex power adapter has enough amps? Say
this one. I think that one is 12v only so would have to step down a 5v as well. At that point I might as well use an old 12v laptop supply.

Edit: This one has both 12v, 5v, and 2A. Anyone have any idea how many amps the MVS 1B needs?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 11:44:00 am by Locke141 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 03:48:06 pm »
This is just my experience but I had a few of those portable hard drive power supplies lying around and while they said they could power 2 amps the neogeo wouldn't boot and/or there would be a lot of noise interfering with the video signal.

I ended up using a laptop power supply... 12v 5amp, which is waaaay too much, but that ensures that even if it's cheaply made it'll output enough amperage.  I'm still getting the slightest bit of noise, but I think it's my wiring (waiting for the power button to come in so the temp power switch is just taped on). The 1b needs around 1.5-2 amps to work properly.  Also be warned.. the 161 in 1 carts pull extra amps, which is why I went with the extra beefy power supply.  Some of those aforementioned hdd power supplies would boot into the service menu fine (as in without a cart inserted), making me think you only needed 1 amp or so,  but would fail to boot with the cart. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 06:36:53 pm »
Have you considered a pi?

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 06:43:58 pm »
Have you considered a pi?

I have one setup with retroPi. If I didn’t have all this stuff from my childhood, I wouldn’t start collecting today.

Howard, an old laptop supply with some stepping down it is.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:18:49 pm by Locke141 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 10:14:36 am »
If I didn't have all this origin hard ware, I'd just do this. Much cheeper.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 08:45:26 am by Locke141 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2019, 09:16:57 pm »
Got my NEO GEO MVS not bad for $44 shipped. l'm not an expert but it looks real to me. I may build a console out of it but am leaning on making it into a hanging slime arcade. I have a few 4:3 Samsung 21 inch LCD monitors, looking for build and it seems like   a dedicated MVS build would be fun. Ether way Uni Bios is probably going to happen. I'll decide  after test when my 160-in-1 arrives. Was wondering if the black 120-in-1 are better quality as they look newer? Looks like this was covered in the SD card thread and the 120 is better quality.

So, is it original?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:07:04 pm by Locke141 »