Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wrong Resolution from Switchres  (Read 2124 times)

maczrool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2019, 04:28:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Wrong Resolution from Switchres
« on: June 10, 2019, 06:42:56 am »
Something isn’t right with my setup.  I installed GroovyMAME and CRT_emuDriver and then ran on my HD5450 and ran VMMaker.  First of all it only generated 24 modes which is way less than I’ve seen others get.  Then when I reboot, Windows is running in some incompatible resolution that gives me 3 distorted views rather than one that works.  Then when I stumble my way into GroovyMAME, and run a game it is always the wrong resolution.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  I’ve tried following what I can find of tutorials but they are a bit lacking in detail.  Thanks!

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
Re: Wrong Resolution from Switchres
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 12:18:10 am »
Are you using CRT Emudriver 2.0?

http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295

Are you following the correct tutorial on the above page?
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

maczrool

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 11:31:46 am »
Yes to both.  Thanks!

maczrool

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 06:14:45 pm »
I found some more detailed guides and used those and got it to work. I used a combination of settings from:

and
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=301
Thanks!

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 07:45:56 pm »
Above, I mentioned the "Topic: Installing CRT Emudriver 2.0 - HD 5450 - Windows 7 - super resolutions" tutorial that you listed after the video link.  It's linked on the CRT Emudriver 2.0 download page.

I've used that exact tutorial many times without a problem in the past.

What, specifically, did you find in the video that worked that wasn't in the tutorial thread?  Maybe the tutorial needs to be updated.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz

maczrool

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 11:12:21 pm »
I think the main thing was that I wasn’t selecting the user modes file.  Didn’t see that mentioned.  The annoying thing I am experiencing now is that if I tell it I have a tri-sync monitor so I can navigate windows at 640x480, it ends up running MAME that way too for some reason and of course I lose the scan lines at that resolution.  I want MAME to run 15K games at 15K, not upsample.

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 11:53:06 pm »
I don't think you should need to use user modes unless you're using other emulators that need specific defined resolutions.  The point of super resolutions is that they are generic resolutions that scale horizontally as needed to cover a range of different resolutions.  That way you don't need to have a ton of fixed resolutions installed.  Windows gets weird when there are too many resolutions.  This is why super resolutions were created.

I don't think you ever identified what kind of arcade monitor you are using.    When you go through the driver install process, what monitor are you picking?

GroovyMAME should be picking the correct native resolution from the super resolutions except in the cases where it's deemed "more optimal" to run in a higher resolution.  For example when you try to run a vertical game on a horizontal monitor, it will usually pick a higher non 15khz resolution (or an interlaced resolution) in order to hit the correct refresh rate.

I think you should run through the install again for super resolutions, making sure to enable EDID emulation, and pick the tri-sync arcade monitor (or the exact model you have if it is listed.  Don't install any user modes.  Try to follow the steps exactly...  http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1052

Then for games that don't work the way that you think they should, generate log files and attach them to a post...

Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead or pasting it.

Calamity is generally very good with helping troubleshoot these kinds of issues as long as you post log files.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz

maczrool

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 08:53:16 am »
Thanks for the awesome response.  It’s an m3129 Wei Ya/Makvision.  I’m picking the one that goes with that.  I don’t have my PC in front of me but it’s the Wei Ya tri sync one.  Will try as you suggest.  I do have the EDID option enabled already and that’s where it’s got me so far.