Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ClappCade - The ridiculous and inefficient newbie build  (Read 5126 times)

TheDistrict

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 10:59:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
ClappCade - The ridiculous and inefficient newbie build
« on: June 09, 2019, 06:23:42 pm »
Hi All,

A little late to posting here (this has been a work in progress) Started going down the rabbit hole in January. 

Take a look at this post to see where I started:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,159180.msg1674047.html#msg1674047

After a ton of research and a lot of trial and error, I have found some time to post the project announcement. 
I have decided to go down the path of a somewhat nontraditional cabinet build. Im also not a “handy” person so I had to teach myself how to do all of this for the first time. For those of you who love strange / super-inefficient builds where some newbie does everything wrong the first time around you are in the right place. 

Also, I will get this out of the way up front… I fully realize this is ridiculous and probably more expensive than it needs to be.  But I got wife approval and will probably only ever get to build one of these given the limited space we currently have.  So I’m going for an aircraft carrier on steroids, the swiss army knife of arcade cabinets. 

My unique requirements:
1.Converts from an arcade to a standup desk
-I know this may drive some of the traditionalist nuts, but I don’t have a lot of space ended up building an awesome PC I want to use for both arcade and PC gaming.  I currently have 2 screens I want to use but am thinking about running 3.

2.A removable control panel that serves as a standalone Raspberry Pi arcade. 
-I don’t want to be limited to playing at my home. I want to be able to bring it with me to friends’ homes.

3.Some sort of built-in media component
-Yes, I know, I know… It’s a lot but I want to be able to run movies / streaming through the arcade. Again, I don’t have a lot of space… So I’m going for a man cave in a box. 

My not so unique requirements:
4 player set up w/ trackball, spinner and light gun compatibility. 
8 buttons for player 1 and 2
4 buttons for player 3 and 4
Ability to play just about anything out there.
Lots of LEDS (I’m hooked on lighting, it’s like a grateful dead laser show over here).
4 player coin drawer
LED Marquee
kickplate

My current hardware list:
2x 4/8 Servo Sticks
2x  Servo Stick LEDS
2x I-Pac Ultimate I/O’s
24x - Industrias Lorenzo Translucent with Black Concave Plunger –
13x  Industrias Lorenzo Convex Translucent Short Stem Pushbutton
A ton of 75 Gram Cherry Microswitchs
All the IL-lumination RGB 5VDC LEDs
1x ELEWIND 30mm push button switch With POWER symbol With 6*15cm wires(PM301F-11E/B/12V/S With POWER symbol with 6*15cm wires)
1x 22mm mounting diameter metal USB3.0 Female A change to Female A (Black surface)
1x 25mm metal USB connector/USB socket 2x USB3.0 FEMALE A - FEMALE A
1x 22mm mounting diameter HDMI connector USB Female to Female
1x Arcade Computer Cabinet Switched Power Socket Connector AC 250V Lighting with Fuse Holder for Jamma and Mame DIY Game Machine
2x  4/8 Way Adjustable Joystick Arcade Joystick DIY Joystick Fighting Stick Parts for Game Video Arcade Very Rugged Construction Red
22mm mounting diameter metal 2x USB2.0 FEMALE A - MALE A 2x60cm wiring
1x Raspberry Pi 3b+
1x Raspberry Pi Touchscreen
1X USB hub
1X USB charging hub
1x Alexa Enabled Power Strip
Corsair fan and Controller Commander Pro
1x NZXT Internal USB Hub - Expands 5 USB 2.0 Ports - Sleek Multifunctional Design - Molex Connection - Plug and Play
      UGREEN USB to SATA USB 3.0 to Hard Drive Adapter Cable Converter for 2.5 3.5 Inch Hard Drive Disk HDD and SSD Support UASP SATA III with 12V 2A
        Power Adapter
1x Pimoroni OnOff SHIM
1x OontZ Angle 3 Enhanced Stereo Edition IPX5 Splashproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker with Volume Booster AMP 10 Watts Power, Custom Bass Radiator, 100'
        Wireless Range Bluetooth 4.2
And just about every type of usb chord
As well as all the internal switch wiring etc…
On pre-order: 
1x Sinden Lightgun w/ recoil

PC:
Running a custom built PC (Won’t get into the specs here but it can run just about anything)

Current Software:
Launchbox w/ Bigbox on the pc
Currently running Noobs with Lakka on the PI (still trying to figure out what works best here)

Woodwork:
1 sheet ¾ inch birch plywood
A bunch of clear coat epoxy resign
A ton of screws and wood glue
1 Piano Hinge
More Velcro then a 5yr old’s shoe closet in the 80s.
Lots of sandpaper, paint and wood stain.

Where I am in the process:
Will try to update this and the list of hardware etc… as I progress.
Control panel is 90% done, need to figure out the Pi software and decide how much effort I want to put into cleaning up the wiring. 

Next step: Figure out how the heck I’m going to build the cabinet I want.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 02:42:00 pm by TheDistrict »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Re: ClappCade - The ridiculous and inefficient newbie build
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 07:34:37 pm »
Well, this will be interesting at least! I'm subscribed.  :burgerking:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:41:55 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 10:55:29 pm »
Build what you want, but can you, like, stop disparaging “traditionalists” and just let your project stand on its own. Why turn off people for no reason?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 11:29:35 pm »
After a ton of research...

...not enough.
%Bartop

TheDistrict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 02:02:13 am »
Build what you want, but can you, like, stop disparaging “traditionalists” and just let your project stand on its own. Why turn off people for no reason?

Hi Yotsuya,

Not trying to disparage anyone. Just wanted to put it out there so as to avoid the argument before it starts. I love the traditional builds but I see a lot of arguments in these forums (not  here per say) across the web about being true to old specs etc... I just want to let people know up front that this is probably not going to be that.  I actually hope to eventually make a more traditional cabinet when I have the space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 02:52:10 am
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 03:53:45 am »
I'm glad to see somebody building their own.

It's not what I'd build, but if it's what you'd build?  Go for it.   :applaud:

I would like to warn you it's not going to play everything out there, though.  You don't have 4 spinners for Warlords, 2 trackballs for Marble Madness, a 270 wheel for Outrun, an analog flight stick and throttle for Afterburner, a yoke for Stun Runner and Star Wars, or a push-pull spinner for Discs of Tron.  Saying "everything" doesn't really free you from having to make some tough choices about your game list.  I say this not to be a pain - I say it hoping to steer your expectations a little.  Even with your staggeringly large control panel spec, you're still leaving quite a few games out.  Leaving games out is OK!

I'm curious to see how you manage the PC-but-also-a-Pi mobile function. 

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:15:23 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 04:25:53 am »
Wow... that's a lot of work...  Normally when I start a project, it ends up taking 3 times a long as I thought it would.  Just sayin'   ;D

Have you got any photos of the work you've done on the CP already?

I'd recommend sketchup for designing the cabinet.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 05:51:40 am »
Well this should be interesting.

Pi and PC standup to Desk.

I am genuinely intrigued!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:02:50 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 06:54:36 am »
Here is what I’m thinking in terms of my build.  (Again, I’m new so please let me know if this will never work): 

This will never work well. You are trying to do too much. People try this all of the time and it always ends badly.

If you don't have space then just build the portable CP.

Trying to get all of that software and hardware to work together is a recipe for disaster.

Every single comment made before mine is telling you not to do this. They just aren't coming out and saying it directly.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 08:52:56 am »
My best advice to what you are trying to achieve - made a pedestal. Build a control panel and a base for it to go on. House a pc in the base and have the control panel latch on at plug in via usb.

Separately, build a little pi box and have your control panel plug into that as well. Since it seems you are set on having LEDs everywhere, you will probably want the box to have a secondary power source as well.

This way you won't have to worry about a media component as well. Watch movies on the same screen, but just use another input.

Of course, this is separate from the feedback that I am not going to drill in saying this project as listed is destined to fail. I would say start small and scale up. I also really have a hard time seeing anyone bringing a battleship sized control panel to a friend's house. Besides, part of the lure of an arcade machine is it makes your house the destination.

Anyway. Good luck. Sink or swim, I will watch with interest.  ;)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 09:15:59 am »

Hi Yotsuya,

Not trying to disparage anyone. Just wanted to put it out there so as to avoid the argument before it starts. I love the traditional builds but I see a lot of arguments in these forums (not  here per say) across the web about being true to old specs etc... I just want to let people know up front that this is probably not going to be that.  I actually hope to eventually make a more traditional cabinet when I have the space.

Sure thing. I proudly consider myself a purist and prefer seeing classic lines and such, but I also love creativity and innovation (see Laythe’s builds). So I would never discourage it, so long as it’s not a disaster in the making or repeating tried and true design mistakes (or possibly a way to kill fish).

Just plan it out, build what you want, and stop telling people like me they aren’t going to like it. I’d rather be pleasantly surprised than predisposed to not liking something because the builder keeps telling me I’m not going to. ;)

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 09:26:01 am »
I don't know a newbie building an aircraft carrier panel based on Flynn's Arcade is becoming a tradition.  At ZapCon that was the big joke when we sat around talking about the forum.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 09:32:07 am »
I don't know a newbie building an aircraft carrier panel based on Flynn's Arcade is becoming a tradition.  At ZapCon that was the big joke when we sat around talking about the forum.

I think a lot of them do so because it’s very well documented and plans are available. They want something that will play games and let them use that 42” TV that’s gathering dust and so this is a good starting point for them.

TheDistrict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 12:18:23 pm »

Hi Yotsuya,

Sure thing. I proudly consider myself a purist and prefer seeing classic lines and such, but I also love creativity and innovation (see Laythe’s builds). So I would never discourage it, so long as it’s not a disaster in the making or repeating tried and true design mistakes (or possibly a way to kill fish).

Just plan it out, build what you want, and stop telling people like me they aren’t going to like it. I’d rather be pleasantly surprised than predisposed to not liking something because the builder keeps telling me I’m not going to. ;)

All really great points. I will change the language in the post.  The traditionalists are why all is newbies got into this in the first place.  Thanks for the input. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
ClappCade - The ridiculous and inefficient newbie build
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 12:46:52 pm »

Hi Yotsuya,

All really great points. I will change the language in the post.  The traditionalists are why all is newbies got into this in the first place.  Thanks for the input. 

No problem! Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:46:43 pm
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 03:44:50 pm »
I can't wait to see this thing - it sounds ambitious for sure.

TheDistrict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2019, 02:54:18 pm »
sorry for the delay but you know work... now that it’s the weekend.  Here are a couple of photos of the control panel as it stands today.

View from the top:

View from the front:

Power button powers the Pi and the additional button I use to exit Bigbox menus.  On the far right is a USB 3 input. Loads into the pi or pc through the usb hub.

View of the back:
4 usb inputs. One master for PC (feeds into the usb switch to toggle between pc and pi) The rest feed into the hub.  Also one hdmi out for the pi (makes the system portable and viewable on a tv).

View of the hot mess that is inside the control panel:

This is still a work in progress I have been tinkering with the wiring but hope to clean it up soon.

Next step is to start planning the cabinet.  The pi is functional and works as a stand alone unit (not shown the guitar start and hooks I use to strap it over my shoulder and carry it) The panel also works great with bigbox via usb out and the switch between the two just a push of a button.

So now it’s just time to figure out what’s going to house it. 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2019, 03:51:52 pm »
You might want to stick a thermometer in there just to be safe. Those wall warts are not going to be very happy in that enclosed space.

TheDistrict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2019, 04:07:29 pm »
You might want to stick a thermometer in there just to be safe. Those wall warts are not going to be very happy in that enclosed space.

Thanks for the tip!  It's hard to see in the photo but I have a Corsair commander pro hooked up and attached to the hub.  It's got 3 temperature gauges and gives me an output on the PC. Also adjusts the fan in the button depending on temp.  So far so good.  But still keeping an eye on it. 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2019, 04:09:10 pm »
That is a good precaution. My Spidey sense is tingling like crazy looking at that interior.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 08:33:17 pm by Mike A »

TheDistrict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2019, 05:35:35 pm »
I'm glad to see somebody building their own.

It's not what I'd build, but if it's what you'd build?  Go for it.   :applaud:

I would like to warn you it's not going to play everything out there, though.  You don't have 4 spinners for Warlords, 2 trackballs for Marble Madness, a 270 wheel for Outrun, an analog flight stick and throttle for Afterburner, a yoke for Stun Runner and Star Wars, or a push-pull spinner for Discs of Tron.  Saying "everything" doesn't really free you from having to make some tough choices about your game list.  I say this not to be a pain - I say it hoping to steer your expectations a little.  Even with your staggeringly large control panel spec, you're still leaving quite a few games out.  Leaving games out is OK!

I'm curious to see how you manage the PC-but-also-a-Pi mobile function.

This is a great point.  I guess I should say as much as possible.  The one here that I didn't think about was marble madness.  That is definitely a game I enjoy. I can still play one player though correct?

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 02:52:10 am
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2019, 05:42:38 pm »
Yep, one trackball will do 1p marble madness.

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 12:49:56 pm »
what's little screen for?

TheDistrict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 05:23:40 pm »
what's little screen for?

It a raspberry pi touch screen. Allows me to get set up before going out to hdmi.

TheDistrict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2019, 03:02:13 pm »
Ok it has been a while and this summer has been crazy but I wanted to post what little progress I have been able to get done! The last month has been spent trying to figure out how to build the cabinet in a way that fits in the limited space I have in my office. 
Figuring out how to 3D model something that we can CNC and then build to work as

1. An arcade cabinet and
2. A standing desk. 

Since I have Zero experience in CAD but over 15 years of experience managing offshore teams I decided to outsource the idea on Fiverr  (I know, I know). It took a little extra time but I think we may have worked it out (will know more when I get the pieces back from the CNC shop next week). 

After some back and forth we decided that using linear actuators to lower and lift a platform that the control panel sits on may be the best option.  The thought being you can lower the CP pull out a drawer and unfold it over the top of the CP then move the CP back up to make it flush.  Thus creating a flat surface that covers the joysticks buttons etc… that can be used as a stand up desk.  See the attached PDF for our initial mockup. 

You can also see from the attached images that since I went through the trouble of getting everything done in 3d I decided to have the control panel redone as well.  The initial one was a little off on measurement and after playing with it for a bit I think the screen is better suited on the left of the CP (near P1).  Next up is assembling the pieces when I get them back and trying to figure out how to wire the new CP in a WAY cleaner way (would love tips here). I'm also working an LED Matrix Marquee which may not happen given it looks like I might have to learn python to get something up and running (anyone do a Pi LED Matrix Marquee? I would love tips).     Thank you again all for following along and the tips!

TheDistrict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2019, 03:06:43 pm »
Looks like the PDF of the mock-up didn't post so here it is as JPG's

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 02:13:08 pm
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2019, 04:06:45 pm »
You really want to hide the controls, eh?
I’m impressed by the lengths you’re going

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2019, 04:56:44 pm »
*Aircraft Carrier
%Bartop

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:46:43 pm
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2019, 02:45:35 pm »
So you are building a standing desk and arcade cabinet as one unit?

TheDistrict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2019, 06:40:57 pm »
So you are building a standing desk and arcade cabinet as one unit?

That is the plan! It will convert back and forth.

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 04:11:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2019, 04:51:16 pm »
Ok, I gotta watch this.