Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Odd Delay?  (Read 1257 times)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
Odd Delay?
« on: June 06, 2019, 11:22:53 pm »
OK... I am not sure WHAT might be causing this issue... and to be honest it really isn't a big deal,  but if it's something I can "fix"... why not?

I just swapped out video cards.  I had a Radeon R2 220 in the cabinet... when I chose a game,  the action of actually getting the game loaded was pretty quick.  Push the button... a second or less later the game starts loading etc...

Since I swapped in this new card... a R7 250 ... when i select a game... ANY game... there seems to be a 4 to 5 second delay where everything on the screen freezes then the game loads from there.

Any idea what might be causing that?

I'm running only Groovymame thus far...
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
Re: Odd Delay?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 12:13:59 am »
...BTW, I remembered that I have Daphne installed too so I checked... it's as normal.  Push the button...1 second later it's loading.   Whatever is happening is associated with GROOVYMAME.  It's closer to 6-7 seconds too.  It also doesn't matter if it's a CHD game a game like Elevator Action... it still takes 6-7 seconds before I see the video mode flash ... a quick glimpse of the desktop (I know because I can see the "TEST MODE" text flash at the corner) just as the game starts to load (after the delay).

This behavior did not happen with the last video card.

Calamity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 05:15:31 am »
Quite likely this is caused by the process of polling the video mode list at GM's startup. Two things are known to make this process slow:

- Having a mode list that's too long (this is why super resolutions are helpful).
- Having two or more displays enabled (this usually is what makes the first condition matter, since it requires each video mode to be checked for compatibility with each display, increasing exponentially the required time).

In the end this points to a fail of design of the Windows OS, that we need to bypass with some tricks.

Probably, when testing with your other card, your display setup was a bit different so the issue didn't happen.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 08:08:12 am »
24 modes were generated and installed... only one display is enabled (the LCD display is attached but not enabled)...

I'm guessing this is something I am just going to have to live with... eh?