Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Genesi Mini (yes again).  (Read 11699 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Genesi Mini (yes again).
« on: June 05, 2019, 11:00:46 pm »
So yeah, yet another Genesis mini is about to come out.  It's got a respectable list of 40 games plus two bonus games (tetris and darius) that were never officially released.

Game List:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Ecco the Dolphin
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Space Harrier 2
Shining Force
Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
ToeJam & Earl
Comix Zone
Altered Beast
Gunstar Heroes
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
Thunder Force 3
Super Fantasy Zone
Shinobi 3
Streets of Rage 2
Earthworm Jim
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Contra: Hard Corps
Landstalker
Mega Man: The Wily Wars
Street Fighter 2: Special Champion Edition
Ghouls ’n Ghosts
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Beyond Oasis
Golden Axe
Phantasy Star 4: The End of the Millennium
Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball
Vectorman
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Tetris
Darius
Road Rash 2
Strider
Virtua Fighter 2
Alisia Dragoon
Kid Chameleon
Monster World 4
Eternal Champions
Columns
Dynamite Headdy
Light Crusader

It'll be 80 bucks which isn't terrible, but I doubt it'll do well.  Why?  Well yet again a company cheaped out the US is only getting the 3 button controllers.  Yeah try playing Sf2 with 3 buttons.  Couple that with the fact that there are 8 genesis products licensed out at any given time to confuse consumers and this poor thing might do ok at best.  It's sad because the quality seems decent on this one and it has a good game list. 

bigster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
Re: Genesi Mini (yes again).
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 08:57:13 am »
The oversaturation of Sega products is what will kill it.  I got the genesis collection on switch a few months ago for 14.99 on sale and it has 50 games and a lot of overlap.

They could have distinguished this w the 6 button controller and more unreleased and hard to find games.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:51:51 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 10:13:10 am »
It must seriously cost like 50 cents to license this stuff for a commercial product.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 01:15:29 pm »
I'm amazed that they got the two Disney games.  You'd think the mouse would bend them over a barrel for the rights.  The absence of Mortal Kombat is odd though.  Sega really ever outsold Nintendo for a short period and it was largely due to the censorship of Mortal Kombat.  Mind you the genesis port sucked harder imho due to limitations in graphics and sound, but I've got to think that any former genesis owner buying this is going to want to play MK for nostalgias sake.  I've noticed that Nintendo didn't have MK in any of it's collections either.... maybe WB charges a lot for the rights or something. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 01:17:53 pm »
MK1 looked and sounded like crap on the Genesis but it actually felt like the arcade game.  SNES game starred midgets and felt nothing like the real thing.

MK2, no doubt the SNES version was better.

MK3 was pretty close but that one sucks anyway.

bigster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2022, 08:24:40 pm
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 02:45:35 pm »
Probably hard to license mk right now, especially with the release of mk 11.  I doubt wb wants that awful genesis port back on the radar.  I bet if Nintendo wanted to put mk2 on the classic it could have done so because it has the switch as leverage.

I will probably cave and get this when it is below 30 dollars, like I did with the psclassic.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 03:54:06 pm »
Well, the AtGames one has a functional cartridge slot and works with original controllers.  Hacking it is slightly painful but not too bad....

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 08:20:05 pm »
$80 bucks sounds like suicide for something like this. You'd think the complete failure of the PlayStation Classic would have clued them in.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 11:08:44 pm »
Well I think there is this false equivalency that all classic consoles are the same as classic Nintendo consoles.  This just isn't the case.  Most of the games on the NES/SNES classic are consistently on lists for the best video games of all time still to this day.  Other consoles certainly have their masterpieces, but not as many as Nintendo.  In addition Nintendo is quite protective of their old games.  You can't buy them on steam or constantly get "re-masterings" like sony and sega do.  That's thankfully changing though... can't wait for Link's Awakening on the switch. 

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 11:25:35 am »
Well I think there is this false equivalency that all classic consoles are the same as classic Nintendo consoles.

Exactly. People will pay way more for Nintendo ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. There just isn't the nostalgia and loyalty for other brands and Sony learned that the hard way. Combine that with the fact that this is the 3rd or 4th "Genesis Mini" variant released in as many years and IMO it spells complete disaster for this release.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 11:39:31 am »
Everything good on the Playstation Classic has already been re-released as a better version.  The PS4 controller is even a much better revision of the PS1 controller.  A completely pointless retro console.

As the only person on Earth that owns an AtGames Genesis Classic, I feel it was worth the $32 shipped I paid for it.  It's borderline pointless because I've got a Pi Zero I leave on 24/7 and a wireless SN30 controller.  SNES controller is close enough that I don't mind it.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 06:51:05 pm »
The Genesis classic is more appealing that the PS classic, but I'm one of those who would prefer six button controllers.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 05:24:59 pm »
This is a nice touch:

There are a few cute Easter eggs here too. When you change the language to Japanese in the menu, all the box art changes to the Japanese versions, and the Japanese version of the game (if one existed, that is) will play if you select it.

The same is true if you change the language to Italian, or other languages in European countries. The name of the console itself also changes on the screen, from Sega Genesis to Mega Drive.

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2019/06/13/the-mega-drive-mini-is-a-beautiful-tiny-time-machine
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Stargalaqtic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2020, 01:04:45 pm
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 10:58:10 am »
This is one is one I would actually be interested in. Decent game list, 3 button controller is fine as I played SF on super nintendo only as a kid. All I need is a working reset button. Why? Cause as a kid playing X-Men the first one, not clone wars. And the one level where it kept saying reset the computer, out of frustration of not figuring out what to do after a hour we reset the console. And that was the trick to beat the level resetting the "computer" aka the console. Blew my young mind!!! The rest of the day I just kept saying how? and what mad person came up with that!

Would love to experience that again with my friends who love playing old games.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 01:46:13 pm »
As the only person on Earth that owns an AtGames Genesis Classic, I feel it was worth the $32 shipped I paid for it.  It's borderline pointless because I've got a Pi Zero I leave on 24/7 and a wireless SN30 controller.  SNES controller is close enough that I don't mind it.

I got one too, at least the 2016 one that looked nothing like a genesis. Honestly, my biggest gripe is that it didn't come with an SD slot like the handheld version for easy rom uploading.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 07:13:56 am »
Apparently some review units have been sent out to YouTubers and the feedback is a little disappointing so far. Of course with M2 doing the development, expectations were very high. The biggest issue seems to be audio sync/lag. Here's a good video from Game Sack that takes a pretty in-depth look at the console:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 10:58:12 am »
Audio lag is weird and disappointing.  Nice video, thanks for sharing.  This will be a hard pass for me until it's hacked.

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 11:39:24 am »
Audio lag is weird and disappointing.  Nice video, thanks for sharing.  This will be a hard pass for me until it's hacked.

Game Sack does a really nice job on their videos. I was shocked when he went through every single game on there. LOL!

There has been some debate about whether the Genesis mini will be hackable. M2 has probably developed some custom emulator for the console and may have even developed specific emulators for each game. Until this gets in the hands of software savvy folks, we won't know if that same emulator can be used for other games or even if other games could be loaded and used with a different emulator like Retroarch. I guess we'll find out in another month or so once it's released.  :cheers:

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 07:32:49 pm »
I wonder whether the audio lag is actually caused by the TV he's using.

Most TVs these days do a lot of image processing that causes the video signal to lag. To compensate, they also have to delay the audio signal by an equivalent amount to ensure that it stays in sync with the video image. If this process goes wrong for some reason, then the audio can sometimes be a few frames behind the image.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2019, 12:12:14 am »
I wonder whether the audio lag is actually caused by the TV he's using.

Most TVs these days do a lot of image processing that causes the video signal to lag. To compensate, they also have to delay the audio signal by an equivalent amount to ensure that it stays in sync with the video image. If this process goes wrong for some reason, then the audio can sometimes be a few frames behind the image.

Could also be the Recording of the screen for Youtube depending on the capture hardware/software being used.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2019, 07:53:55 am »
It could well be the TV much the same as audio lag on the Pi is usually fixed by setting the TV to “game mode” or the equivalent.

I have to do it on my tv or it makes playing games like Sonic irritating as hell and harder as the lagged jumped noise threw me off my game lol

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2019, 07:22:49 pm »
It would be nice if it was as simple to fix that as having the TV in “game mode”. My TV is always set that way to minimize latency.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2019, 01:10:57 am »
The YouTube guys who tested it are extremely knowledgeable and would certainly have taken monitor lag into account, IMO.

The Genesis mini looks lackluster, unfortunately.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2019, 06:05:39 am »
Sadly, not all TVs are completely fixable when it comes to audio and video lag.

That doesn't rule out the emulator itself being the cause of the issue. But that's unlikely IMHO.

In order to create audio lag the emulator would presumably have to deliberately buffer the audio signal which would involve additional code and complexity. I can't think of a reason why an emulator would want to do that. But who knows. Maybe someone with experience in writing emulators could chime in and enlighten us.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2019, 02:26:05 pm »
Well no, not necessarily.  If the console is emulated at the chip level, like most consoles, the genesis has a dedicated sound chip separate from the cpu/gpu.  Improper timing could theoretically get things out of sync. 

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2019, 09:08:07 am »
Some more reviews have come in, and unfortunately, it appears that the sound lag might be a genuine issue. However, I'm not sure it really matters given how quickly the hacking of these units is progressing.

The SOC SEGA chose to use is very similar to the one used in the (S)NES Classics. In fact, it's so similar that it's possible to run the Genesis Mini UI on the (S)NES Classic!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwinkJfdi_bkAhVlmVwKHWLRA-oQwqsBMAB6BAgHEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DmPrrwPO_2Nc&usg=AOvVaw2cNh1GxpF01KZtpXLGS5Sd

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2019, 09:49:20 am »
Okay, that’s actually funny.  Be fun to triple boot one of those snes classics...

Shame the original genesis mini never got more than cursory hsck attention. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2019, 01:57:21 pm »
Unfortunately I doubt it'll sell well in the long run.  Any casual consumer remotely interested in the genesis has already purchased one of the 14,000 clone consoles Atgames has released over the past 15 years and to them, they are all the same.  At least it's selling though, unlike the poor psx classic. 

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2019, 02:45:44 pm »
Menu music is head and shoulders above the other mini consoles...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2019, 03:49:29 pm »
Sounds annoyingly chipper for background music.  Still prefer snes classic's

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2019, 06:52:38 pm »
I got one of these for Christmas. The controllers feel dead on like how I remember the originals. The console itself is sexy and feels nice. Guess I should hook it up now....

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2019, 07:15:32 pm »
Are you going to import the tower of power from Japan?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2019, 09:33:45 pm »
It plays very well.  I actually didn’t hate the AtGames 2017 version but this one is better.  Game library is very solid as is.... I’m not even sure I’ll bother hacking this.

Space shooters ain’t my thing but Darius is a good one.

:cheers:

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2019, 07:30:30 am »
It would be neat if someone merged the four regional versions together. That would provide more than 60 unique games (plus any regional variations). I can't imagine that many people would want or need more games than that.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2019, 09:53:15 am »
I should also mention that this console works fine with 10 foot USB extension cables.  I got black ones that are a reasonable style match:

https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Besgoods-Extender-Gold-Plated-Connectors/dp/B06XCB5234/

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2019, 12:49:08 pm »
Looks like these babies have been hacked to add more games (if you're into that sort of thing).  :cheers:

https://modmyclassic.com/project-lunar/

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2019, 01:02:57 pm »
There's also a Genesis compatible version of Hakchi in the pipeline:

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2019, 01:56:45 pm »
There's also a Genesis compatible version of Hakchi in the pipeline:

It would be nice if they incorporated into Hakchi. That program is super easy to use.  :)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2019, 08:59:18 pm »
1 - people have been promising hacks any day now for 2 months
2 - just because you can cram Mario 3 on it doesn’t mean you should

This isn’t like the PlayStation Classic where these hacks fix significant oversights and issues.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2019, 10:12:13 pm »
Hakchi on the genesis will allow you to add genesis roms and considering a lot of games are missing that is worthwhile.  I really need to sit down and fix all of my minis.... I want the entire library for each system (or at least all the good games) installed.  I just haven't had time to play anything the back end of this year.