Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Control panel wiring to 3 different devices  (Read 1106 times)

itobandito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2022, 11:04:23 am
Control panel wiring to 3 different devices
« on: April 28, 2022, 04:17:49 pm »
Hi Everyone!
  So I recently acquired a sitdown style cab with an HD 32" monitor in it.  The control panel was wired to 2 Arduino usb encoders with OG Xbox adapters so you can play xbox games on it.  I have a ton of those games for the system so I wanted to keep that setup functional for my kids.  I do have a PC I wanted to put in here as well running Steam so I can play games like Tekken 7, Street Fighter 5 etc using the IPAC 2 encoder with the xbox360 controller module for it.  I also wanted to use this as a testing station for my jamma boards as I have jamma to HDMI converter as well.   As I said I have kids so simply disconnecting and reconnecting everything isn't ideal. 

I can simply via a terminal block have one side of wires to control panel and the side to each individual system I want to use it for.  Jamma, Ipac\PC, and Arduino USB to xbox but I am worried about potential feedback or maybe voltage feedback destroying something else.  Should I even be worried about this?  My original idea was on each wire going to the interfaces listed below putting a 1n4007 diode at the end of each wire going into the terminal block.  None on the control panel side though.  Would this work\be sufficient?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.    I drew a simple diagram (obviously not showing all wires) of what I was thinking.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:26:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Control panel wiring to 3 different devices
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 05:50:40 pm »
Would this work\be sufficient?
As your diagram shows, one diode per input port for each PCB will work.  i.e. one between P1B1 and the Arduino input, one between P1B1 and the IPac input, and one between P1B1 and the JAMMA harness input.   :cheers:
- 1N4 series diodes are pretty beefy (commonly used in power supply rectifier circuits), but they will work for this application.

The other thing that you should do is tie the Arduino, IPac, and JAMMA grounds together since the Xbox, PC, and JAMMA power supply grounds may be at slightly different levels.   ;D

Scott

itobandito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2022, 11:04:23 am
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 08:07:31 am »
Perfect thanks for the help.  Going to tackle this tonight\this weekend.  Regarding the 1N4 diodes, I'm forgetting the diode band direction.  Should the band on the diodes be facing the wires going to the 3 interfaces or toward the terminal block?  Also when you say the grounds together do mean with no diode or?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 10:11:13 am by itobandito »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:26:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 11:39:11 am »
Regarding the 1N4 diodes, I'm forgetting the diode band direction.  Should the band on the diodes be facing the wires going to the 3 interfaces or toward the terminal block?
The band on the diode indicates the cathode (-) -- easy way to remember that is that the band looks like a "-", not a "+".   ;D

Ground (logic low) is coming through the controls to the encoder input that is held at logic high by a pullup resistor until ground is applied.

You want the diode to conduct (forward-bias) not block (reverse-bias) so point the band toward the lower voltage, just like the diagram in your original post.   :cheers:

ground----joystick/button microswitch----terminal block----(-)diode(+)----encoder input

when you say the grounds together do mean with no diode
Correct.

An extreme example of grounds being at a different electrical potential (voltage) is a monitor that requires an isolation transformer.
- If you connect chassis ground on that monitor to earth ground, you'll damage the monitor because those grounds are not at the same electrical potential.

Having three separate power supplies makes it possible for the grounds to be at different electrical potentials. (NOTE: Diagram is not drawn to scale.   :o )
- All of the power supplies produce 5v relative to ground.
- Directly connecting the grounds together with a piece of wire ensures that they are all at the same electrical potential relative to each other.

Scott