Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Vampire Savior CPS2 board with a melted battery  (Read 5755 times)

piscian18

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2020, 11:47:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Vampire Savior CPS2 board with a melted battery
« on: June 01, 2019, 01:54:30 pm »
Hi, I'm trying to restore a CPS2 arcade cabinet I found. After some researching I opened up the CPS2 cart to find the battery rolling around inside and red dust in the shell. From what it looks like the battery melted at some point and was just left to sit. Thankfully because of the machine orientation it just kind of spilled off the side except the board corner. I ordered an infinikey after some research but after starting to try and clean the board I'm getting cold feet. Can someone take a look at this and offer any advice. I would say my soldering skills are medium. Ive installed modchips and what not but I'm concerned this might need a capacitor replaced in that hole in the corner? I'm assuming thats battery acid? I should use maybe alcohol to clean it off? Otherwise the board looks in pretty good shaped? I really don't much about this stuff. If anyone can even point me at a solid repair service that would be wicked. :P

« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 01:56:56 pm by piscian18 »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Re: Vampire Savior CPS2 board with a melted battery
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 05:00:49 pm »
Well, aside from possible acid damage on the traces, that’s the suicide battery. Meaning, even if you repaired the damage, you still have a suicided board. There are key re-encryption methods to desuicide it, but this all might be a bit advanced for you to do.

I would make an account at the arcade-projects or klov forums and ask there. There are guys there that specialize at CPS2 repair/restoration.

piscian18

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 11:17:11 am »
Just wanted to report in that we fixed it! Cleaned all the acid off and installed infinikey and got it up and running yesterday. The Capacitor next to the battery had to be replaced as well. :)

Now I gotta fix the monitor :(

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 11:28:15 am »
Very nice. Another PCB resurrected.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 05:21:02 pm »
I would hope you neutralized that damage with baking soda first before you put that together.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 05:43:51 pm »
It's not a car battery, Jennifer.  You'd use vinegar.   :whap

Or just clean it off and move on with life.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 06:28:21 pm »
Probably could use a cap kit.  What model is it?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 07:17:29 pm »
It's not a car battery, Jennifer.  You'd use vinegar.   :whap

Or just clean it off and move on with life.
A base is a base one would assume, I have always used b/soda ,distilled water, a soft nylon brush, with a alcohol rinse, (50 % as 90% seems kinda harsh) it kills it effectively...Moving on, by cutting corners? Over A five minute job non the less? That sounds more like kicking the can down the road...Or perhaps just strait up LAZY.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 07:28:51 pm by jennifer »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 09:10:26 pm »

Cap kits fix geometry issues.  He needs to adjust the brightness on his flyback.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 11:30:21 pm »

Cap kits fix geometry issues.  He needs to adjust the brightness on his flyback.

Caps can also fix things like:
- won't power up
- won't sync
- won't lock the holds
- colors faded
- vertical collapse

From his photo it looks like there’s a slight vertical collapse. The noise lines could be cap related as well. The B+ might be low too.
I mean, I’d definitely start with putting high quality caps on there first and go from there.

piscian18

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 11:07:15 am »
Oops I feel bad I kinda ghosted this topic after I fixed the B-board. If anyones curious this is where we stand -

current image

Going into this I hadnt soldered anything in years and I have cerebral palsy, my left hand is pretty much a claw so after determining the chassis was a "universal" style I tried replacing it with a couple of those wei-yu chassis. I learned the hard and expensive way those are absolute garbage. I had sorta hoped it was a superiority thing on the forums but no they really were cheap. So cheap they dont even label the sockets. They both worked but the picture was so dim you could only see it in the dark.

I broke down this last week and really retaught myself to solder, happy to say Im quite solid now. Over the last few days Ive recapped most of the board(electrolyics). I have 1 cap minor 4.7 25v to go. Swapping the big 250v 220u fixed the leak causing the waving picture and each cap replacement is progressively brightening and clearing up the picture.

Things I havent done
1. flyback reflow/swap
2. replace one last EL cap its a 4.7 v25 that tested good. Gonna replace it anyway.
3. ceramic caps etc.
4. reflow all connections. Theres a decent amount of corrosion on the board.
4. Rejuvenate the crt

No ones been able to accurately identify this chassis so I had manually list and swap every cap. I'd love to buy a complete cap kit with ceramics etc but I have no idea what I need.

Chassis

Cap list (I have to verify what all I replaced)
1uf - 160v
1uf - 50v x4
4.7uf - 25v
10uf - 250v
22uf - 25v x2
33uf - 25v
47uf - 16v x3
47uf - 35v x1
100uf - 16v x2
47uf - 35v
220uf - 35v
330uf - 50v x2
470uf - 63v x 2
1000uf - 35v x3
10uf - 63v

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:31:47 pm by piscian18 »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 01:19:49 pm »
Yup, those universal chassis’ are terrible. Glad you’ve came to that conclusion, be it the hard way. Sorry to hear that.
Most of the capacitors will have their values listed on the barrel themselves. So you might have to do it the manual way and pull or look at each one, write down their value and the orientation their installed, and order caps individually from a supplier like digikey or mouser.

piscian18

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 01:41:51 pm »
Yeah I swapped all the caps except this one in CP107. Its a 4.7uf 25v 85c. Id been holding off doing anything with it because it did test good and oddly enough the cap is about 24mm long and every replacement I found online is tiny like 6-10mm. Just going to bite the bullet an swap it.

One thing I didn't do is complete reflow all of the solder on the board. Theres a lot of hard solder and corrosion on the board I could take the time to clean and redo the board.

piscian18

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 02:24:14 pm »
Jut felt like updating this thread with a happy ending. I hate when I'm searching for something online and the person never says whether whatever fixed the issue.

I ended up doing a number of things.
A. I think I mentioned before infinikey worked like a charm, board is fine and dandy.
B. The tube needs a rejuvenation so I replaced it with a sharp 25"  until I get a rejuventor.
C. The wei-yu chassis died while I working on something else. Thats disappointing it turned out to be largely fine post capkit, it was the tube that needed rejuv. I swapped the chassis and we're all good. Will revive it later.
D. Sadly the new crt had stands closer to the back so I had to build a new wood mount so it would fit in the cabinet, that worked out surprising well.
Aesthetics
E. I realize this a personal choice and some people get offended by mods, but the CPS A board sounded like a jet engine. I found that the 60mm fan had taken a hit when the battery died and splattered acid everywhere. I ended up modding the A board case to fit a 60mm Noctua and the first time I lit it up I thought the system died because the dang fan was so quiet I couldn't hear it. awesome.
F. I'm installing new speakers and an amp. The system sounds to tingy for my ears.

I'm installing new joysticks and locks and then that'll be it for this bad boy.  I feel like a kid on christmas morning

- video of the cabinet

*The video doesnt do it justice, the picture is good. this one a little better but its just very difficult to get good pictures of CRT https://imgur.com/a/FD8AgkN
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 01:34:57 pm by piscian18 »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 06:39:28 pm »
You say the chassis died and you swapped it, With what? Another wei-yu? I have been curious about those and secretly been hoping you could get that to work...Good job! :cheers:

piscian18

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 11:37:48 am »
You say the chassis died and you swapped it, With what? Another wei-yu? I have been curious about those and secretly been hoping you could get that to work...Good job! :cheers:

I did replace it with another wei-yu though I should emphasis that it wasn't one of the $25-35 dollar one's you see on ebay. I did buy one of those and it was complete trash I ended up just pulling all the capacitors off it and using it for parts. Its was the kind of thing where it felt like it would crumble in my hands.

I ended up buying one like 80-90 for one off of an aliexpress dealer that ended up being a little better quality PCB. I still replaced the capacitors on it after some tested questionably.

I have two sharp image/kortec chassis I would have preferred to use, but one needs a new width coil and needs some width capacitors/resisters replaced and the other one has a burnt diode socket so I was between a rock and a hard place.

If I bought a new chassis right now I'd spring the extra $50-100 for a WG. I can link you the store for the weiyu I bought. I think my biggest complaint aside from the lower PCB quality is the lack of mapping. On any of the new universal chassis you get, regardless of sourcing is the lack of circuit map on the bottom. Without the numbers and mapping swapping parts is extra time consuming. If it dies theres a large incentive to throwing it away.

The other thing is Ive yet to find a new Universal chassis with a front panel board so if I ever have to adjust my colors or guns *shudder*. Don't want to think about it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 11:39:21 am by piscian18 »

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2019, 12:17:23 pm »
Thank you for posting a conclusion.

Also good job getting all of those problems solved.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2019, 04:52:26 pm »
Thank you for updating us.

And don't feel bad about replacing that jet-engine CPS2 fan. All of my CPS2 mobo's have replaced silent fans. There's a drop-in replacement that you could have gone with, that requires no modding to the case and is silent.  But what you did with the Noctua is fine as well.