Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pinball Life  (Read 11340 times)

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
Pinball Life
« on: May 26, 2019, 10:57:14 pm »
Hi, team! It's been a very long time. I've been out of the game for far too long, and I'm jumping back in with both feet.

Recently I was tasked with repairing a Rollercoaster Tycoon.

I put together the parts order on Marco, but decided to shop around a bit, and found Pinball Life.

Pinball Life's prices are very, very good.

My question is: how is the quality?

I do wish that they had rubber kits, but I can deal with that.

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
Re: Pinball Life
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 12:03:16 am »
I order from both.
%Bartop

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 12:41:12 am »
I just ordered from them yesterday
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 02:40:44 am »
I cant just sit by and not say how awesome they are, You wont be disappointed. 8)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 10:17:50 am »
Rubber kits are a ripoff and usually wrong. Spend $10 more and you'll have a stash of each size for years.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 01:02:29 pm »
Do NOT buy white rubbers from Pinball Life. They've had an on-going problem with very poor quality white rubbers breaking a week after you install them. Their black rubbers are fine.... just don't get the white rubbers. Buy the white rubbers from Marco Specialties or Steve Young's Pinball Resource instead.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 01:41:20 pm »
I guess I have never tried there rubber kits But that sounds like a supplier problem, And Personally wouldn't hold it against P/life... When searching for parts they are my first stop, Marco #2 and then anyone on the planet who has the part.....*Exception S/young.,Jennifer can't understand his buy 50.00 worth of junk payment plan just because he doesn't accept E/payments. As result never bought anything from him.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 02:05:01 pm »
I guess I have never tried there rubber kits But that sounds like a supplier problem, And Personally wouldn't hold it against P/life... When searching for parts they are my first stop, Marco #2 and then anyone on the planet who has the part.....*Exception S/young.,Jennifer can't understand his buy 50.00 worth of junk payment plan just because he doesn't accept E/payments. As result never bought anything from him.

Steve doesn’t have a minimum purchase requirement. At least I don’t think he does. I’ve bought twice from him with no issue.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 02:17:11 pm »
My impression on pinball resource is that hobbyists aren't really his market. He had a Trophy Gun schematic in my hands in a week, though.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 04:02:00 pm »
My impression on pinball resource is that hobbyists aren't really his market. He had a Trophy Gun schematic in my hands in a week, though.
That actually makes some sense, Perhaps I should take a second look at him...He does have quite a comprehensive parts list on his webpage.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 05:45:13 pm »
marco has been good to me. if ever i've had an issue with something i've ordered they have got back to me and fixed it right away. The "in stock" to "out of stock" ratio has been really good, maybe 2 or 3 times in the past 10 some odd years they where out of stock on something I needed...

Pinball life has been hit or miss for me stock wise. seems like every part I need is out of stock. some major $$$ parts have been a better price. (LED DMD's etc) if you can snag them while they are in stock. I think it's just becasue their prices are so much lower than the next guy, it's hard for them to keep stock. I also never had an issue with anything i've ordered from them. everything has been right.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 08:51:38 pm »
Rubber kits are a ripoff and usually wrong. Spend $10 more and you'll have a stash of each size for years.

I do this very seldom, so the kits have always worked for me. Though if there was a all-in-one "kit" with many of all the sizes for ten bucks more than a kit (is that around $25, maybe?) I might just go for that

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 09:09:00 pm »
Pinball Life gets into decent quantity discounts. I basically buy enough of each size to hit the discount level. I can dredge up an old order and post it when I'm on the clock.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 10:29:21 pm »
A friend of mine literally has spent over $10,000 at Pinball Resource over the past several years.

behrmr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2021, 09:17:13 am
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 11:20:22 am »

Despite comments like this and others that I've heard, Steve has been very helpful to me personally when buying from his store via email.  He answers questions, doesn't have a minimum order, and ships without being paid in advance (you get an invoice).   And has things no-one else does.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 12:56:47 pm »
I think everyone has a weird experience story with Pinball Resource, but mine was 20 years ago and meh.  I can't even imagine the deluge of dumb questions he gets all day so I'm over it.

If I recall correctly, your initial order you have to pay in advance, and then it was pay upon invoice afterwards.  Glancing at the website reveals it's much the same now.  I recall that the initial order was expected to be larger back then, but it's ~$50 now.

I like buying things online with a credit card and not having to talk to strangers on the phone or pay by check.  Accordingly, I've shifted whatever I can to Pinball Life.

:cheers:

smartbomb2084

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2021, 03:14:53 pm
  • Having a SMART phone will make you DUMB.
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2019, 04:53:37 pm »
Mr. Steve at Pinball Resource is definitely quite the character.   Once you get to know him, he will talk your ear off.  He is the go to guy for EM parts and he gives you a 10% discount for orders over $100.  I need some flat EM power cords. I hope he still has some to sell as it has been a while since I have ordered from him.

Pinball Life is the best.  Their prices are almost always cheaper than Marco for like items.  Marco does have a wider selection of parts though. My only knock on Pinball Life is that they ship your order the next day whereas Marco ships the same day if you order early enough.

Karetaker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2022, 08:19:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2019, 09:38:33 pm »
I buy from Pinball Life along with all the others mentioned. I haven't had any problems.