Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My 27" WEGA Project  (Read 13634 times)

MiteWiseacre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 02:13:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
My 27" WEGA Project
« on: May 26, 2019, 12:03:05 pm »
So I figued it was time to start a thread, would have much sooner (I could have really used a place to solicite feedback) but couldn't upload from my phone so easy..

So the journey begins in Sketchup

Then a control panel prototype

I believe this was the Sega Layout I found online.. now with some nice Seimitsu sticks and Fusion buttons from Retroactive Arcade

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
Re: My 27" WEGA Project
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 12:16:09 pm »
Messed around in MAME for some time, mostly figured that out, found the Attract Mode front end.
Picked up an old Dell PC, took the cover off, cut out chunks of metal, trimmed down the fans on my 750ti GFX card and slapped it in.

Now getting MAME running on a CRT television, testing with my 32" toshiba that decided not to sacrifice to this project.

What I eventually settled on after trying many things, and finding out that even though NVidia says it can run 240p it doesn't mean it's true, was the Extron VSC 150. It's a 480i image but does look pretty darn good on the Wega.
See this thread for my bumbling: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,159697.0.html
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 12:25:27 pm by MiteWiseacre »

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 12:23:40 pm »
Decasing a CRT is another adventure, managed to ruin one 27" Wega by cracking the control circuit panel, I advise a second set of hands because the boards like to slide right out of these frames when you lift them from the front of the case. Ditched the speakers and built a frame that would allow me to build a cab that will fit through a doorway, want to be sub 28" wide.

The happy accident here is that the second Wega I found in the local buy and sell had a way better picture!  :applaud:

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 12:50:14 pm »
Cutting out the sides

Went with an inner 2x4 frame, caused perhaps more headaches than benefits. Was slightly out of square and spend a fair bit of time fighting it and trying to right it. If one just build off the perfectly straight MDF I'm sure it would line up much easier, maybe a little weaker? IDK

Test fitting the CRT, had to do some grinding and adjusting when I found out it was about 1/8" too wide  :banghead:     but got it...

Glue up stage, the time when you never have enough clamps or patience.. You may notice I screwed up my bezel because of being a router noob, was able to rebuild that corner with paintable silicon. So I hope that once painted black and covered with glass, the bezel errors won't be visible.

This is basically where I'm at today, I've since this installed all the hinges and a keyboard tray.

The next step will be more fit and finish, bit of filling. Take it apart and start to prime  ;D

Does anyone have an opinion on my speaker holes? I am assuming they will let enough sound pass through as well as the board will resonate well enough to provide decent sound quality.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 01:01:01 pm by MiteWiseacre »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 02:01:33 pm »
Good quality work! Love the monitor.

I have a small suggestion for the speaker holes. I'd cut out the full sized holes and then accentuate them with either a cool speaker cover, some LED lights, or even some mesh wouldn't look out of place. If the question is, do I think enough sound will pass? Yeah, I think it'll be ok, but I think it would be better as a big hole, or maybe with more smaller holes.

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 03:08:26 am »
Thanks leapinlew :cheers:
 going to dig through my old car stereo speaker covers and see what I got..

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 07:25:44 am »
Looking good. I was running a 27" Wega for Vertical Shmups and they are great tubes. Damned heavy tho. How much you fogure this will weigh when done? Moving it will be dun, but then youll be set. The 2x4 may seem excessive and add weight, but as i noted, that tube is damned heavy, a little insurance never hurt anyone. Well maybe their back, but thats what friends are for ;)

Those speaker holes should be changed. Thats a lot of resistance on a speaker. Youre bascally using a diaphragm to force air through those little holes and any backpressure is felt by the tiny cone of the speaker that im sure isnt made for insane amounts of pressure. It will skew the balance of frequencies. It may be a bit louder if loaded right, but that more of a science, and kind of pointless, and frequency dependant. High frequencies will be very muffled.

That auction site has nice little speaker covers for small drivers that look like the grills off a Vewlix, very unobtrusive. If too bland, they make ones with chrome trim too. Theyre cheap. Look pro. On my cab, I just cut holes and put some perforated steel on the backside so it looks kind of factory as opposed to just sticking a piece over the hole and looking kind of thrown together. Speaker grills look best unless you want to try the slots in wood trick Nintendo used, and I suck at it hahah.

I had similar issues with stuff being square etc. At end of the day, the material is only going to be as square as the toold we use. Finding a saw that can stay square and cut reliably is my biggest want. After that, buildng anything out of different woods will be a treat. If i have to buy my material though, I am buying ply next. The MDF dust, and the way it crumbles easier on sharp edges than real wood can be a bit frustrating, and thats before you even go to paint it.

My biggest reservation is that MDF was never made to be in a damp dank basement, garage etc over long periods of time. That ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- swells and goes crap right quick if given the right conditions. I feel like if they had used MDF like we know it today in 1982, Im not so sure how some stuff would hold up. Even that particle board seems better than MDF. And i say that as someone who uses MDF for certain applications, even tho I would prefer ply unless I had to do other.

Keep up the good work. This is gonna look great.

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 09:44:42 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts, Morton.
Not totally sure, but I think the empty cab is like 200lbs and finished 300+. Built it so one could move it with a dolly from behind, plenty reinforced, but will likely assemble it all in the basement where I can just roll it around on its casters. I'd better listen to the advice I'm getting on the speakers, might have made it a little trickier now with the speaker panel glued to the bezel  :embarassed:
Painting now, 3 coats of primer and up to about the same in paint. Using a melamine-finish black furniture paint, turning out pretty nice so far.. kinda wet sands weird, pills up and clogs up the 220 really quickly. Maybe I'm not letting it dry long enough before sanding?

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 08:31:24 am »
Last summer I redid a bathroom Vanity using that Melamine paint. It was sold as the ultimate product.

Whether due to weather, or what, it was one of the worst products I've used. It showed EVERYTHING as it's quite glossy. It took forever to dry, and even then it was not easy to sand and just gummed up the paper as you noticed.

I resanded and tried again. So much so that by my third attempt I just made MDF flat panel doors to replace the originals and painted it all in an Eggshell latex that gave me the finish I wanted in a timely manner.

You're lucky you chose black... My navy blue melamine paint turned out more Electric Blue than the swatch due to how it caught light.

Last week I threw out the old cabinet doors after sitting for almost a year in the house, and that melamine paint still looked like crap and was more sticky than hard. I've got another can I'm tempted to just take to the Re Store and let some other brave soul try it.

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 10:24:57 am »
Oh dear, that does scare me a little. I made a few mistakes that I had a hard time ridding and went through a pile of sandpaper, it’s soft right now but I assumed it just needs to cure. It is maybe a little too glossy as well, if you can see in the pic there’s some streaking on the sides, I had my air pressure too high for my sprayer. I’ll give an update as to whether it hardens up or not.
Spent some time assembling yesterday and hooking up all the components  ;D

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:02:50 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 11:07:01 am »
You aren't putting that giant horrible box on your cab, are you? That doesn't look like your drawing. Your lines were looking good up until now.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 11:27:51 am »
Yeah I'd cut down the height of that control panel by 1/2.  And what's up around that trackball?  The first picture you posted where you cut the holes the trackball hole looked fine and then the next pic with the buttons installed it looks like a chunk is missing at the top left of the trackball hole.  Then the next picture with the trackball makes it look like it's not centered with another chunk missing lower left and it doesn't appear to be level with the surface.  I also don't think you want those 2 red buttons getting in the way of using the trackball.  Another thing that happens with a 2 player layout like this is 95% of the time you are using it by yourself and it will feel like you are too far to the left.  I know because mine is built that way.

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 04:09:45 pm »
 :o
No no. That’s my prototype control panel. I threw it together to try button layout and set up my games etc, actually it was built around a 32” T.V. but downsized to a 27” now
The CP is going to be a flat 3/4” slab with about a 1” overhang. Question, I envision using ash or maple with a clear coat, thoughts?

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 04:26:10 pm »
Here’s where I’m at today. T-moulding is on, doors and latches are mounted and USB/headphone jacks are mounted.  Due to me sucking with setting up this router the slot cut on the right ended up a little wider than desired for TMoulding (I was to the right of centre and decided to take a second pass). I tried the hot glue method of remedy but not sure I’d recommend, you don’t get much working time but you also don’t have to hold it as long, I’ve seen gorilla glue recommended because it swells up a bit maybe I’d try that next time.
Next steps are to tweak the doors a little, do some touch up painting where I scratched it and pickup the plexiglass from the shop this afternoon (I hope). Got decals and a marquee on order and the control panel to build, the cherry on top  ;D

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 09:59:24 am »
Here’s where I’m at today. T-moulding is on, doors and latches are mounted and USB/headphone jacks are mounted.  Due to me sucking with setting up this router the slot cut on the right ended up a little wider than desired for TMoulding (I was to the right of centre and decided to take a second pass). I tried the hot glue method of remedy but not sure I’d recommend, you don’t get much working time but you also don’t have to hold it as long, I’ve seen gorilla glue recommended because it swells up a bit maybe I’d try that next time.
Next steps are to tweak the doors a little, do some touch up painting where I scratched it and pickup the plexiglass from the shop this afternoon (I hope). Got decals and a marquee on order and the control panel to build, the cherry on top  ;D

I've tried hot glue and I was unhappy with the results. It wasn't bad, but not minty fresh good. Now when I have this kind of error, I refill the slot with bondo and recut it. It's a little more painful, but worth it to me.

Looking good.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 10:07:08 am »
Yep I made the same mistake with T-moulding when I built a bartop in December.  I used the slot cutter I had bought for my vpin build but didn't even think to check the required width.  I had used it on the vpin to cut the slot for the plastic trim that the playfield glass slides into so it was just wide enough that the barb on the T-moulding wouldn't grab.  I used Gorilla glue and got it attached but it was a pain.  I had to use clamps all over the place to hold it in place as the glue was drying.

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 10:40:59 am »

I've tried hot glue and I was unhappy with the results. It wasn't bad, but not minty fresh good. Now when I have this kind of error, I refill the slot with bondo and recut it. It's a little more painful, but worth it to me.

Looking good.
Thanks Gilrock, Lew
Yep should have filled and recut when it was a panel in the shop, the hot glue left some small gaps where I didn’t hold it in well enough.

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 08:19:17 pm »
Feel pretty good about today, found a nice little green lit fan, the cables I need and the glass guy gave me an awesome deal on the plexi (although he gave me 1/8 glass for the marquee instead of plexi nbd)
Sorted out how I was going to hold in the glass. Bought some mdf trim 1/2” by 1 1/4” wide, then cut a relief along the backside 3/32 deep leaving 1/2” to sit flush against the bezel. To make this cut I had to remove the guard from my joiner and set up this hokey jig:

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 08:42:49 pm »
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163718436504
Here’s the side art I’ve ordered, what do you think? I’ve seen this stuff slammed in other threads  :lol is it too obnoxious?
And this is with the glass in place and moulding unpainted
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 09:10:01 pm by MiteWiseacre »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2019, 09:01:55 pm »
Your cab has good lines. That artwork is complete ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. Don't use it.

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2019, 09:14:17 pm »
 :censored:  :hissy:
Your cab has good lines. That artwork is complete ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. Don't use it.
This is what I was afraid to hear... it’s already on way to Canadaland
How much of a pita is it to remove said -steaming pile of meadow muffin- once on the sides? I could try it on until I get something the cool kids will like...

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 09:18:37 pm »
Refuse shipment. If that doesn't work then burn it on your porch.

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2019, 09:30:14 pm »
Refuse shipment. If that doesn't work then burn it on your porch.
:o you’re clearly not a fan...
Is it the quality of the stuff or the mess of different characters or the kinda lame Arcade Classics title?
Does everyone feel this way?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2019, 09:36:44 pm »
That artwork makes me so angry I feel like driving to Michigan and burning that jerks house down. He has a lot of nerve charging money for that horse ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2019, 11:46:05 pm »
Does everyone feel this way?

Dude what is this a vote?  You need to decide what you like and hold your ground. ;)

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 11:57:45 pm »
If you like the artwork, go for it. The way it sounded, I thought it was going to be swastikas. Drama!

If you decide to redo it later, it won’t be difficult to remove and reorder.

firedance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:00:44 am
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 12:37:45 am »
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163718436504
Here’s the side art I’ve ordered, what do you think? I’ve seen this stuff slammed in other threads  :lol is it too obnoxious?
And this is with the glass in place and moulding unpainted

End of the day it's your cab, as long as your happy with the result then that's all that matters  :)

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 12:55:13 am »
Ok ok.  I thought I had made some byoac cardinal sin ordering these!  ;) I’m new here
The thing is I figured you all may have seen this stuff in person before, looking for feedback on this my first build as well.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 04:24:05 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2019, 01:22:03 am »
Nice build.  I like your design, and the balls to pull off a CRT on the first build.  You did a nice job decasing the monitor, and your CRT frame is excellent.  Side cuts are nice and you resisted the urge to go 4 player (I didn’t).

Only comments I would make are:

1.) Getting that CRT to look good you should really be using an AMD graphics card and install CRT Emulation drive to get a beautiful picture (with GroovyMame)
2.) I hesitated to say it but that tube will give you trouble with a number of games and their proper vertical size and refresh rates:  (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,159464.0.html)
3.) You’ve got a fresh unique design, if you can swing it, marry it with your own artwork.  This cab deserves its own flare, instead of a prepackaged one.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 05:33:19 am »
Arroyo made the point better than me  with his last comment. You didn't build a cookie cutter cab. It deserves better than cookie cutter artwork. Too many people here are scared to give their opinion. They are afraid grown men can't take criticism. Of course you can use any artwork you like. I am sure you already knew that. I look forward to seeing this cab completed.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2019, 09:18:17 am »
If you were building this for your kids to play I'd say they would like the artwork.  I really don't mind it.  A lot of people don't like the multi-character thing but I look at it and get nostalgic about each character like "oh...there's the Ghouls and Ghosts dude".  It's got a Galaga feel to the border and I like that the characters are contained.  Now what I don't like is the ones where the characters are literally plastered all over the cab all the way out to the edges.  I look at those and say holy crap good luck if you ever wanted to sell that.

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2019, 12:40:17 pm »
Yah. I think my next project will be going for that perfect 240p picture, need a different gfx card but already have a little vga to component converter to try out. I see what you mean over in that other thread, Arroyo, my Wega tube won’t like some resolutions for sure. All this when the cab is done. I’ll have to look up how to remove decals next! It will be a bit before I design my own graphics, that’s pretty daunting, the other option is a game or brand theme.. it’s sorta in a defender inspired shape.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 02:32:47 pm by MiteWiseacre »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2019, 01:39:00 pm »
It still covers a wide variety of games, but yeah there will be some compromises.  You will get a very good picture using the VGA to component Transcoder, and using an AMD graphics card with Groovymame.  The difference is striking using the proper resolution and refresh rate:

480i:

240p:

Notice the difference in clarity around the edges of the words.

Few more proper resolution pics:

Anyway you get the idea.

As for the art, come up with an idea for a theme, and then outsource it to an artist.  There are a ton of artists looking for work, and the price can be very reasonable.  You could also just use some simple lines & shapes maybe outlining the shape of the cab.  Just some ideas.

EDIT:  You could do something interesting with the slots that you cut out of the sides, maybe some diffused Acrylic inserts and have lights behind it for a nice glow effect?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 02:52:26 pm by Arroyo »

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2019, 09:16:59 pm »
I did put my new green led fan by the left hand slots, it’s a pretty cool glow effect, might carry on with that.
Where is the token ‘Best ADM cards for 240p’ thread, having trouble finding it  :embarassed:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2019, 10:20:20 pm »
Where is the token ‘Best ADM cards for 240p’ thread, having trouble finding it  :embarassed:

Nah don’t be, you’ll need to start reading up in the GroovyMame sub-forum a lot, I’m happy to help with questions but start there.  To answer your question the easiest thing is to get the most powerful AMD you want that has Analog out to keep it easier.  The most powerful is up to the R9 card but make sure it has DVI-I or VGA out.  From there you can get a VGA cable (DB-9) to your transcoder (might have to get a DVI-I to VGA if that’s the output).

The Geedorah website that is linked has tutorials with step by step, but first you have to get your graphics card and cables straight.

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2019, 08:38:53 pm »
Working on the CP today, got a good fit, going to trim it with 1” maple
The big question is clear coat or stain? I’m leaning towards some dark have stain I’ve got.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2019, 08:40:51 pm »
lookin' good. :applaud:

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:50:47 pm
  • Just because.
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2019, 05:37:11 am »
The CP does look good, but IMHO it doesn't fit stylistically. The whole cab is painted black, no wood grain visible, and you've got one piece that is left 'natural' and very bright to boot. If I look at the cab, my eye is immediately drawn to the CP, because it's a bright spot that doesn't fit. It's like those pictures you have to look at and tell which piece doesn't fit.

I'd at least use the dark stain on a piece of scrap wood and see if that would make the CP darker and still looks good. You'd still have the contrast between the painted and the natural look, but it wouldn't be that glaring.

Other than that, I would do the whole front of the cab in maple, so the look of the front is consistent and has a nice contrast to the painted side panels.

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2019, 12:20:46 pm »
Yah Yamatestu, that’s what I’m worried about. I’ve been stuck on the wood grain cp, maybe I’m just sick of working with mdf. The entire front in maple is a cool idea, but may have to save it for next build, I could trim the marquee with it rather easily.
Here’s today’s update, spent hours yesterday sanding and tweaking, next dilemma is how to mount the ipac, no room will have to build a stand off to keep it attached to the CP.
This picture is prior to routing etc, I’ll update in a bit.
Edit, new pictures
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 02:05:38 pm by MiteWiseacre »

MiteWiseacre

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2019, 10:31:18 pm »
Wet sanded and stained the control panel, did I make the right choice?  ???
(Weird light, also do all me pictures look stretched? Or is it this phone)