Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: General PC Emulation Question  (Read 1455 times)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
General PC Emulation Question
« on: June 04, 2019, 11:02:46 am »
I am quite well aware of the benefits of having multiple emulators running on a Pi3.   For example,  my Pi3's run MAME078, AdvanceMAME, MAME172 and FBA...

Each emulator does certain games "better" than others on the limited power of the Pi3.  FBA does Neo-Geo quite well (for example) while it runs too slow on MAME172.

I'm in the process of setting up a new MAME rig... with plenty of power (Ryzen 1200/R7 250)... is there still any benefit of running multiple emulators to run games that run on the current version of MAME?  Will I get any benefit from running FBA (for example)?   I mean,  MAME runs all the games FBA did... maybe not quite as efficiently for some... but who cares if I pull 100FPS or 80FPS (just made-up example numbers)?

If it IS beneficial to have additional emulator(s) ... please make some suggestions and what games they play.

For this question... I'm not only interested in games that MAME plays... but emulators worth installing that plays games that MAME does not.  Though i am limited to standard resolution games.  I was considering playing around with Demul or one of the Sega Naomi/Dreamcast emulators,  but I figured it wasn't worth it since I have an actual NAOMI cabinet setup to netboot all NAOMI and Atomiswave games...  any others?  Daphne has already been added BTW...

Thanks!
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: General PC Emulation Question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 07:45:07 pm »
Stick with official mame and groovy patch if needed for crt.

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 02:57:46 pm »
In addition to several games running through demul, I have supermodel running Star Wars Trilogy. It's fun to play with a mouse, but I assume that a lightgun controlling the mouse or an analog joystick would also be excellent.

I haven't added it yet, but I plan to run some version of Street Fighter IV,  probably the PC version if it plays nice with my keyboard controls. It's on my to-do list.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 03:47:21 pm »
In addition to several games running through demul, I have supermodel running Star Wars Trilogy. It's fun to play with a mouse, but I assume that a lightgun controlling the mouse or an analog joystick would also be excellent.

I haven't added it yet, but I plan to run some version of Street Fighter IV,  probably the PC version if it plays nice with my keyboard controls. It's on my to-do list.

Hmmm... my cabinet has a trackball (mouse)...

I'm guessing SF IV isn't going to run in 640x480 mode though...

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 03:54:35 pm »
My cab has:

MAME

Makaron (just use Demul since you have the horsepower.  You stated that Naomi/atomiswave is covered anyway)
The Naomi shmups run better on it since my hardware is old.

Model 2 Emulator - Dead or Alive, Dynamite Cop, Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx, Pilot Kids, Sonic the Fighters, Virtual Fighter 2, Zero Gunner.  I play zero Gunner and Dead or Alive most.  Don't have guns on the current cab, but has some must have light gun games if you have the hardware.

Supermodel - Fighting Vipers, Spikeout

Taito Type X, X2 (not really emulated, cracked PC based arcade games) - Raiden III-IV, Tetris Grand Master, Super Street Fighter IV, King of Fighters XIII, KOF Maximum Impact, etc.

I don't recall which emulator it runs on, but I also threw the dreamcast version of Soulcalibur because it is good enough to be included.  The cab has no other console games installed on it.

Probably forgot something.  I'll follow up if I remember.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 04:16:47 pm »
Dynamite Cop is so good! I'm going to add that to my list right away. I'll give Zero Gunner a try. I think Giga Wing might be on Taito Type X, as well. Giga Wing 2 on the Dreamcast is an amazing 4 player shoot 'em up that should run well with arcade controls.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 05:26:09 pm by KenToad »

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 06:35:55 pm »
Giga Wing is CPS2 IIRC... and Giga Wing 2 is NAOMI.  I play that on my Netbooting NAOMI cabinet.  Same with Zero Gunner (or is it ZG2?)  and one of the Dynamite Dekka games...

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 01:03:49 am »
I meant "Giga Wing Generations" is Taito Type X. It's a different game than the first two, although more of the same, and uses a vertically oriented monitor. The Naomi arcade version of Giga Wing 2 seems to be 2 player only, whereas the Dreamcast version has a special 4 player mode, which is really fun.