Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Home Arcade Headache.....Pi over PC?  (Read 5489 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Re: Home Arcade Headache.....Pi over PC?
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2019, 10:33:43 pm »
The best thing about the Pi is the small footprint. If you're building a smaller cab where fitting all the PC guts inside would prove challenging, a Pi is likely a better choice. 
I would go further and say if you’re building a cab that’s smaller than a bartop, sure use a pi, mister, jakks...any of the miniaturized products. You’re not playing comfortably on those anyway.

But IMO bartop or larger should be PC.

I find it surprising how people have forgotten that we used to use fairly powerful mini-itx PC’s for our bartop projects. Even the weecade, the most cloned bartop design originally used a mini-itx and it was fine then.

langlem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 12:23:49 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2019, 11:56:58 pm »
RPi’s work great for me regardless the size of cab I am building because I am typically running classics on MAME.  Runs Daphne fine and can run the Golden Tee games up to 2001 Classic good enough. Most of the folks I help build a cab are wanting to play the Pac Man, Centipede and Galagas of the world. 

Really depends on what you are wanting to play.

That being said my project is likely to be a SW Trilogy theme and that will need a few more ponies under the hood. ;D

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2019, 05:34:44 pm »
I've used a little of everything. I don't really see a reason why one would be better than the other most of the time. Currently I use three PC's, one 19-n-1, two 60-n-1, and a couple Pi's. I use whatever I think the project needs. If I had to build one tomorrow and it had sufficient space, I'd probably use a x-n-1 for ease, but if it didn't have the games I wanted, I'd use a Pi because I don't have an extra PC and Pis are cheap.