Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My Super Bubble Fighter II Turbo - Street Fighter v Bubble Bobble Mashup project  (Read 12877 times)

vaderag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2023, 05:11:02 am
  • Building my own cab :)
combofiend worked for capcom. chances are your artist friend was paid by capcom for those pictures and combofiend had the permission to share these.

(unrelated note, combofiend is my cvs2 hero)
Typically, when you join a game company you sign a contract that almost always has a Non-Competition clause attached. I know this is true for Next Level Games, so this would be impossible for my artist friend.

No, I contacted him last night and he said he is unaware of his artwork being shared by an official Capcom rep. He seemed a tiny bit annoyed, but ultimately doesn't really mind given that it's not his IP (his words).

I just find it very surprising, Capcom distributing unofficial artwork and claiming it their own. So that statement of Combofiend doing people "a solid" is somewhat facetious given that he stole this artwork and is distributing it freely. 

In any case, this cabinet turned out really well. @vaderag I've shared this thread with my artist buddy so he can see how his artwork turned out on your cabinet. If you're interested in contacting him, let me know and I can ask him if he's okay with me sharing his email address with you. He's a super nice guy, as all Canadians are (except for me  >:D ).
Yeah, I'd love to give him my thanks! The artwork is awesome

On a practical sense I wish I'd found him earlier - I spent ages increasing the size of the images for print quality and getting the blur right, refilling the colours etc to get rid of artifacts! Might have saved me some time

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

TheGreatRedDragon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 12:40:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
combofiend worked for capcom. chances are your artist friend was paid by capcom for those pictures and combofiend had the permission to share these.

(unrelated note, combofiend is my cvs2 hero)
Typically, when you join a game company you sign a contract that almost always has a Non-Competition clause attached. I know this is true for Next Level Games, so this would be impossible for my artist friend.

No, I contacted him last night and he said he is unaware of his artwork being shared by an official Capcom rep. He seemed a tiny bit annoyed, but ultimately doesn't really mind given that it's not his IP (his words).

I just find it very surprising, Capcom distributing unofficial artwork and claiming it their own. So that statement of Combofiend doing people "a solid" is somewhat facetious given that he stole this artwork and is distributing it freely. 

In any case, this cabinet turned out really well. @vaderag I've shared this thread with my artist buddy so he can see how his artwork turned out on your cabinet. If you're interested in contacting him, let me know and I can ask him if he's okay with me sharing his email address with you. He's a super nice guy, as all Canadians are (except for me  >:D ).

Man it's ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- that they're distributing his artwork without licensing it. Just because they own the trademarks doesn't mean your buddy doesn't own the copyright to his work. I'd be pissed in his position. But I can only imagine the hassle even trying to raise a stink would cause.

I don't know why artists always get the shaft like this. It's like how comic publishers presumed to keep the original art until Neal Adams told them to ---fudgesicle--- off because owning the copyright to the drawing doesn't give them a right to the actual drawing. There's always something isn't there? :soapbox:

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Yeah, I'd love to give him my thanks! The artwork is awesome

On a practical sense I wish I'd found him earlier - I spent ages increasing the size of the images for print quality and getting the blur right, refilling the colours etc to get rid of artifacts! Might have saved me some time

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
Cool cool. PM sent to you!

Man it's ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- that they're distributing his artwork without licensing it. Just because they own the trademarks doesn't mean your buddy doesn't own the copyright to his work. I'd be pissed in his position. But I can only imagine the hassle even trying to raise a stink would cause.

I don't know why artists always get the shaft like this. It's like how comic publishers presumed to keep the original art until Neal Adams told them to ---fudgesicle--- off because owning the copyright to the drawing doesn't give them a right to the actual drawing. There's always something isn't there? :soapbox:
Yeah it's always like this though. Hence the phrase "starving artist", art is always underappreciated...perhaps it's because it's not tangible like a physical product.  It's also hard to value, and can hold different values based on different people. And plagiarism sucks from an ethics level.

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread too much. If people want to add to the art rant topic, I've got a thread created in the Artwork section that I've keep going to for a while now. Feel free to add your thoughts there!   :cheers:

Modab

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2024, 05:35:43 pm
Re: The Super Bubble Fighter II Turbo cabinet project has finished!!
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2019, 12:54:37 pm »

I have been looking all over for inspiration for a bartop cabinet I would like to build, and I find that your cabinet and especially your control panel design is simply amazing! It fits the idealized version in my head of what a classic cabinet should be.

I was wondering if I could have access to the design/button layout/dimensions you created for your control panel? And if it all possible, the art you used for it, as although I would not be making specifically a super bubble fighter ii machine  ;) , I would like to base it off your color and line choices. I especially love the curved front, the rays emanating from the glowing trackball, and the bubbling surrounding your rainbow buttons. It's an incredibly colorful display but it's still clean, which I think is really hard to do.

Regardless of whether you can share them or not, thank you for the inspiration!