Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Marquee lighting  (Read 2210 times)

CHRIS-F

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:59:12 am
  • I always have screws left over after repairs :-)
Marquee lighting
« on: May 30, 2019, 09:46:31 am »
Hi Guys,

I'm wondering how to go about lighting up my marquee, my cabinet is a videoworld Generic Jamma cab, I don't think it ever had a light in there, my marquee is glass same as the monitor bezel thingy, currently there is a speaker in there, I shone a light behind there the other night and it seemed to look quite good, but the light leaked out behind the bezel above the monitor.

I think I will have to box in the area behind the glass so light cant escape, any tips on what to light it with, LED/Flourescent tube etc. I saw some usb light strips, but I have no usb socket, will it be ok to use the PSU to power them or is there only enough current to drive the game boards. also as im going to be boxing it in I don't want it to get too hot in there. I think another problem may be the speaker seemed to cast a shadow onto the marquee, do you guys leave the speaker there or move it?

Something else which doesn't look so good is the angled plastic strip at the top and bottom of the marquee, it covers up the blue/white lines around the edge and it doesn't quite fit right as its bent at 90 degrees, is there a narrower strip you can but or something that can be bent to the right angle, what do most of you guys use.

Any other tips are welcome on how to get the light evenly distributed around the marquee, I thought of maybe painting the inside white to reflect the light a bit.

Thanks,
Chris.

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 03:12:48 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Marquee lighting
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 09:55:14 am »
I bought a LED light strip from Menards that would work perfect for you. Easy to plug into an existing power strip OR you can tap your power supply for 12v and ground, sodder 2 connections and accomplish the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 12:19:01 pm »
I used 12V LED strips and this little controller.. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L4KKF2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great and no messing around trying to eliminate washout backlighting..
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 04:11:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 12:27:21 pm »
Ah, there should be a monitor bezel in-between the monitor and the glass/plexi. That would stop the light bleed.

You could also try adding foam tape inside the marquee area to fill in any gaps (https://www.amazon.com/XCEL-Weather-Stripping-Rubber-Adhesive/dp/B07HJF727G).

I've seen people use light paint to brighten/reflect light in there or reflective aluminum tapes (https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Tape-Foil-Ducts-Insulation/dp/B01FROBUXE).

I do have to say that's a pretty unusual button layout on that machine. I'm not sure why it was setup like that?

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 09:04:10 am »
Has anyone used these LED Strips from Ultimarc? I like to buy from Ultimarc as I'm in the U.K. and Andy has been good to me in the past providing excellent after sale service. I'm just wondering has anyone had good results from these strips, are they not too bright, or not too dull, I'm not even sure that my marquee was meant to be lit up, as theres no fittings in the cabinet etc, but it did look good when I shon a light through it, if I do use these do they use much current, will there still be enough for the arcade pcb sound or whatever uses the 12v?

Thanks.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:46:43 pm
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 01:14:31 pm »
I use a USB LED strip.  Couldn't be easier.  Lights come on when computer comes on.  I usually cover the inside area in aluminum foil to maximize reflections and spread the light around.  Works great and is super cheap.  Make sure there's nothing touching the marquee on the inside or you get shadows.

https://www.amazon.com/Lemonbest-Flexible-3528smd-120leds-Waterproof/dp/B015R87GQK/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=usb+led+strip&qid=1559409171&s=hi&sr=1-8

langlem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 12:23:49 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 02:50:05 pm »
What kinda power supply are you using? 

Would only need a few feet of LED tape lighting and a few feet of wire.  Just tie it into the 12v (or 5 depending on what you get) on the PSU.

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 04:17:37 pm »
What kinda power supply are you using?

I'll be using the Arcade PSU for the time being so yeah could just wire it up to the 12v lugs, I'm just wondering how much current do light strips draw, is it enough not to bother the game board in any way, I also wondered this about any bulbs/led lights I might add to any buttons, my buttons all have bulb holders in but my jamma harness isn't wired for the bulbs, I would like to light the buttons up eventually.