Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Diy Laser Light Gun.  (Read 17113 times)

ryoken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2022, 06:43:46 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Diy Laser Light Gun.
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2019, 02:41:25 am »
I didn't use opentrack yet. Because i can't calibrate the screen  size with it. I will try to recording a better  video to show  how it works.  I really will like to have more time to expend in this project but work every day take me 10 to 11 hours an then the baby, wife... not much time left in my daily  routine. I'm having a bit of problem with model 2 emulator because it crash every time  i change to full screen.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2019, 05:21:25 pm »
Mine came in today.  I can't even get it to behave as a proper webcam in windows.  There's an example directshow app I found specifically for the ps3 cam that works, but pretty much nothing else does.  If it's a directshow only thing, that'll work, but it's a bit slower than pulling down the raw images. 

From what little testing I have done you might want to keep this in mind.....  My old mame cab, which has a 27' 16:10 monitor in it needs the camera about 14 inches back before it can get the whole screen in, even in widescreen mode.  So on a traditional cab this isn't going to be entirely easy to setup.  You'd probably need to mount it either at the trailing edge of your control panel or the ceiling or something. 

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2019, 06:14:47 pm »
Mine came in today.  I can't even get it to behave as a proper webcam in windows.  There's an example directshow app I found specifically for the ps3 cam that works, but pretty much nothing else does.  If it's a directshow only thing, that'll work, but it's a bit slower than pulling down the raw images. 

From what little testing I have done you might want to keep this in mind.....  My old mame cab, which has a 27' 16:10 monitor in it needs the camera about 14 inches back before it can get the whole screen in, even in widescreen mode.  So on a traditional cab this isn't going to be entirely easy to setup.  You'd probably need to mount it either at the trailing edge of your control panel or the ceiling or something.

PS3 eye cameras have pretty poor windows driver support.  There is some stuff on Github.  And there's the Code Laboratories driver that you have to pay for.  I've used the free ones and got lock ups with the ShootOff software. But they have that high FPS which is enticing.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2019, 09:36:19 pm »
Yeah I ran across this:

https://github.com/psmoveservice/PSMoveService/wiki/PSEye-Software-Setup-%28Windows%29

I don't have the time nor inclination to try them all right now so I'll take a look at it later.  This was my concern all along and why I initially dismissed the ps eye as a viable solution.

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2019, 09:05:09 am »
I'll probably try messing with the PS3 eye again since I did take the time to remove the IR filter and add a lens with focus adjustment.  And I'll probably be disappointed once again.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2019, 08:27:32 pm »
Was it hard to remove the IR filter?  I haven't attempted it yet.  I'm just wondering how much IR light the green lasers put off because the image quality of the ps eye is surprisingly poor.  It's quick in terms of frame rate, but there's all kinds of static.... blocking out visible light and just tracking ir would really improve accuracy.  Assuming I can sort out the drivers the wide lens is probably good enough for me to be able to get good tracking with a minimum of distortion. 

My idea for the system as a whole is this....  A 3d printed lens cap with a visible light filter installed could be removed for calibration.  To calibrate the eye would just take a pic and the user could click on the corners.... that'd give me the screen bounds and I could draw a trapezoid with them.  I can then scan the image one pixel at a time for that trapezoid's color to determine the start and stop points for each row and column and save those values as offsets and multipliers.  The leftmost pixel in a row and the topmost pixel in a column are the offsets and the rightmost and bottommost minus those values converted to a percentage of the screen are the multipliers.  Then when you play replace the lens cap and the dot's position would be applied to the array to determine the position on the screen with distortion removed.  Alternatively the user could "paint" the corners by firing at them with a visible laser that also has ir.  Either would work, I just need to know the corners.  So long as the camera isn't moved, it'd never have to be calibrated again.  It might be prudent to do a 4:3 calibration for 16:9 monitors but that could be calculated from the 16:9 corners. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2019, 12:48:21 am »
I ran across this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Universal-AR-Gun-Smart-Pistol-Bluetooth-Game-Handle-Controllers-W-Phone-Stand-3D-AR-Games-Gun-For-Smartphones/981944364

For people with limited DIY skills it'd be an ideal shell for a basic gun.  The trigger is actually a Bluetooth controller, so it's wireless.  Drill out the front to slide a laser pointer in, rig it to stay on and you are good to go. 

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2019, 08:29:30 am »
Was it hard to remove the IR filter? 
It's been a while but IIRC it was a PITA.  And on top of that you have to add some kind of shim behind the lens mount to get things to focus.  That was why I put on a new lens with the focus adjustment built in.  I had another one where I just guessed on adding a shim and the picture was a little out of focus but still worked OK for laser detection.

I've also done some testing with filters.  Photographic gel films work well.  I ordered this pack from Amazon and it has worked well (plus cheap!).
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QN48X0Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Two red plus two blue filters work well as a visible light filter for IR laser use.   For a visible red laser, adding a red filter can help.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2019, 12:57:24 am »
I might give it a shot anyway, I need to get the drivers working before I do anything... might be able to do something decent with visible light, at least enough for testing. 

In terms of filters I saw one link on amazon for custom filters... 2 for $10 or something like that.  In the description it said you could contact them to get it made for a specific spectrum.  In theory one could check the tech specs of two different colored lasers, get filters made for them and then put the opposite filter in two cameras... so camera 1 can't see laser 2 and vice versa. 

The more I think about it, the more a stationary camera makes sense.  Screen location doesn't have to be calculated which decreases processing time.  It's just getting the damn lasers and camera to cooperate. 

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2019, 06:30:01 pm »
Well I tried the PS3 eye again, this time with the Code Laboratories driver.  On the good side: it did work and seemed to detect lasers well (using Win 10).  On the bad side it still locks up on me.  Instead of just freezing the input picture it will go into kind of a static (poor reception) kind of thing.  I have read that it takes a lot of USB bandwidth so I may try again with everything else unplugged from that USB bus.  The other big issue is I couldn't find a good way to change camera settings (brightness, contrast, etc) and that is pretty critical for getting rid of false positives.  Maybe with a visible light filter and IR laser it would be OK.

Looking at filters some more I learned something new (to me).  Most photographic IR filters actually block visible light (for taking IR photos).  If you want to block IR you need to look for an IR cut off filter.  And knowing is half the battle.  ;)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2019, 08:17:02 pm »
I wonder if filters work on the lasers themselves... as in put one on a visible laser and make it ir only. 

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2019, 09:54:23 pm »
I wonder if filters work on the lasers themselves... as in put one on a visible laser and make it ir only.
Visible light wavelengths range from 400nm to 700nm. (violet to red)

An optical filter will only block wavelengths, not change them, so it depends on how much power the visible laser diode outputs in/around the IR wavelengths. (700nm - 1000nm)

- Red is at the edge of IR so there's a good chance that there will be some overlap between a visible laser and IR sensor.

- Green is in the middle of the visible range. (around 530nm)
-- It's less likey to have a direct overlap, but IR sensors might be able to see the lower second harmonic frequency. (around 1060nm -- half the frequency = double the wavelength)
-- Some green lasers output the longer wavelength (around 1060nm) that would also contain a visible upper second harmonic frequency. (around 530nm -- double the frequency = half the wavelength)

Scott
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:01:22 pm by PL1 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2019, 01:34:04 am »
I'm getting frustrated.  Tried a few drivers and I still can't get the eye to show up as a webcam.  Gonna try a few more things.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2019, 01:32:37 pm »
So using the ps3 camera might be a dead end.  I'm confident that I can eventually get it working, but if I'm having this much trouble an end user is going to go nuts.  I also read that the CL drivers are set to only allow one camera, so that kind of kills it. 

If somebody wants to help me track down a low cost camera that will do at least 30fps I'm still willing to work on this.  It'd be nice if we could find one without an IR filter as well so it wouldn't have to be removed.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2019, 02:22:18 pm »
I want you to make it work with the PS3 Eye camera because I have one NIB collecting dust.

Keep coding.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2019, 02:30:00 pm »
Pretty sure the CL driver will work with 2 cameras because I use to run it that way.  I had 2 PS3 eye cameras installed in my VPIN to use with BAM.  It was a cool novelty that allowed the table to actually move as your head moved around.  I rigged up sunglasses to have an IR LED in the center to do the tracking.  I ended up removing them from the cab because I wasn't using them anymore and I thought they might be contributing to a video lag issue but turns out they weren't.  My cameras have been de-cased so that they would mount in the cab better and the IR filters were removed to allow the IR LED to work.  I've got it all packaged up in a bag and meant to list it for sale some day.

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2019, 06:33:10 pm »
There are two versions of the Code Laboratories driver.  The single camera one is $3.00 and the multi camera one is $5.00 so not really going to break the bank.  On cameras, the ShootOff devs recommend these two for $20 - $25 (Logitech C270 or Microsoft Lifecam HD-3000):
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004FHO5Y6/?coliid=I2FQ3ZK4SITCPO&colid=H5MR9RCDFQQ0&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://smile.amazon.com/Microsoft-3364820-LifeCam-HD-3000/dp/B008ZVRAQS/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=microsoft+lifecam&qid=1558563359&s=electronics&sr=1-3
I have both and they work, both run about 27 -28 fps.  The MS lifecam has the IR filter removed.  There are instructions out there on that.  In fact here are instructions for both cameras IR filter removal I believe.  But, over the years web cam makers seem to iterate their designs even inside of the same model.  And newer cams tend to use a coating for IR on the sensor instead of a separate lens. Cheaper I'm sure but not removable AFAIK.  My C270 had no separate filter lens when I opened it but the Lifecam did.

I am strongly considering ordering this (Spinel UC03MPD):
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07CN5KBPD/?coliid=I1LI28M7UN7SRH&colid=H5MR9RCDFQQ0&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
$35, 60 fps and no IR filter out of the box.  But needs a mount and would have to find a way to turn off or remove the built in IR LEDs.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2019, 11:37:35 pm »
I haven't had much luck with the CL drivers regardless.  The camera works with the included software, but nothing else.  It seems to show up as a webcam in various software suites but crashes or does nothing when it's selected.  Maybe the drivers are interfaced in a non-standard way and that's why I can't get anything to work, I dunno.  Now technically all I need to do is grab a frame and analyze it so I could probably just use api calls to grab it from the cl-eye test, but man that'd be hacky having to keep a window up like that.  I'll see if I can find some technical documents that'll help but I'm not super hopeful.   I might cludge together an app that does do this just for a proof of concept. 

The other cameras might be a better way to go but I am concerned about cost.  $50 or less per gun seems reasonable to me if it's a DIY solution since we have commercial solutions on the horizon and the only reason to go a diy route is to save a bit of money.  A $25 camera isn't bad on it's own, but to complete a gun you'll need a shell, a laser, an Arduino for the buttons, some misc leds, switches and a relay and solenoid if you want force-feedback.  It adds up and I don't want to waste time coming up with a solution that's just as expensive as the commercial products only a bigger pain in the butt to setup and assemble.  I'm not ruling any of them out though... they are all good suggestions... I'm just trying to see the forest instead of just the trees for once. 

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2019, 03:52:05 am »
I will show with details how i run the software to track the ps3 camera with  the cl drivers. I sorry i didn't make any post with this info but it's mainly because i damage  the only and my last green laser. Still waiting  for few laser pointers ordered from aliexpress. Rather than wait for they i will just use a red one. I will like to do it this week. I know everyone who is waiting for a better light gun experience wireless  or wired in any angle or distance from the screen and very cheap.  I warranty it is possible. Projector displays are the ideal working  scenario 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 04:13:36 am by ryoken »

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2019, 09:50:45 am »
I haven't had much luck with the CL drivers regardless.  The camera works with the included software, but nothing else.  It seems to show up as a webcam in various software suites but crashes or does nothing when it's selected.  Maybe the drivers are interfaced in a non-standard way and that's why I can't get anything to work, I dunno.  Now technically all I need to do is grab a frame and analyze it so I could probably just use api calls to grab it from the cl-eye test, but man that'd be hacky having to keep a window up like that.  I'll see if I can find some technical documents that'll help but I'm not super hopeful.   I might cludge together an app that does do this just for a proof of concept. 

The other cameras might be a better way to go but I am concerned about cost.  $50 or less per gun seems reasonable to me if it's a DIY solution since we have commercial solutions on the horizon and the only reason to go a diy route is to save a bit of money.  A $25 camera isn't bad on it's own, but to complete a gun you'll need a shell, a laser, an Arduino for the buttons, some misc leds, switches and a relay and solenoid if you want force-feedback.  It adds up and I don't want to waste time coming up with a solution that's just as expensive as the commercial products only a bigger pain in the butt to setup and assemble.  I'm not ruling any of them out though... they are all good suggestions... I'm just trying to see the forest instead of just the trees for once.

Something is odd that you can't get the camera working at all in other software.  It shows the image stream for me in Yawcam and Manycam as well as some of the laser detection stuff I posted earlier.  (But does not show in Win10 camera app)  I wonder if you have some driver conflicts.  You have to uninstall all of the other drivers for the PS3 eye to get it to work.  And Windows tries to automatically install a driver as well.  You might try looking through Device Manger for any other instances of the PS3 eye (might not be labeled that) to uninstall.  It may show up under USB devices, Game Controllers, etc.

Your goals of a multi player setup with wireless on gun controls sounds cool.  But for me much of that would be optional.  A basic single gun would work for many games.  For an extra in game button or two I could rig up something as simple as a USB numeric keypad with all but one or two keys pulled off and put it on the floor as a foot switch.  Admin buttons work fine from any wireless or even wired keyboard.  Lots of ways to incrementally improve the controllers from there.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 09:52:29 am by SammyWI »

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2019, 09:54:50 am »
I will show with details how i run the software to track the ps3 camera with  the cl drivers. I sorry i didn't make any post with this info but it's mainly because i damage  the only and my last green laser. Still waiting  for few laser pointers ordered from aliexpress. Rather than wait for they i will just use a red one. I will like to do it this week. I know everyone who is waiting for a better light gun experience wireless  or wired in any angle or distance from the screen and very cheap.  I warranty it is possible. Projector displays are the ideal working  scenario
Looking forward to seeing (and trying) what you have come up with.  I hope it will be possible to try with other cameras as well as the PS3eye as well.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2019, 08:33:45 pm »
Well assuming we ever get anything working, the idea would be to setup a cheaper Arduino (like an uno clone) to have 3 or 4 inputs for buttons and 3 or four outputs for recoil and the leds used in positional games like terminator 2.  Maybe also some switches to toggle "fake" recoil or quickly switch between 4:3 and 16:9 mode.   The whole thing would show up as a mouse and a joystick and the camera software could send the processed data to the Arduino via a serial connection... that way virtual joysticks and mice aren't needed... it'd show up in the hardware.  Mamehooker and/or troubleshooter 2 could control the outputs, again via serial connection. 

That's the easy part of the equation though.... I can throw that together in a couple of hours.  It's getting the camera stuff squared away and reliable, which hopefully ryokan can help us with. 

I'm just burnt out fiddling with the drivers.  I'll start again fresh some other time.

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2019, 09:31:33 am »

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2019, 12:35:33 pm »
that's brilliant

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2019, 05:26:22 pm »
Looking good.  I diddn't realize you were using a mouse for the actual click and just using the laser for position.  Most stuff I've seen uses a laser that is only turned on when you want a click.  I can see + and - both ways.  I assume that you have the mouse sensor taped over so you don't get unwanted movements?

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2019, 11:19:15 pm »
 I don't play with this wireless mouse with the laser taped on it. I use it for demonstrate in the video how simple can i get. I don't have yet a light gun  ready for play. I'm still waiting for few green laser for more testing to play with or without infrared pass filters and lowering the output of the laser driver to the minimum enough to be captured by the camera.  I also try and works flawlessly is to tape the laser to one of my wiimotes with a gun shell  and use touchmote to mapping the wiimote  buttons.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 11:26:55 pm by ryoken »

bandicoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:23:17 pm
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2019, 12:16:42 pm »
same idea for me , is to put a laser in a wiiimote

Another good hack is with AIMTRAK if we can put a laser and track it

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2019, 05:04:16 pm »
I wasn't going to fool with wireless myself because I want recoil.  That means you need at least a decent 12v power source so if you are going to have to run lines for it anyway....  I say do like the old school act-labs guns and run all the I/O to the shell via a network cable.  Either that or a vga cable since I've got a million of those damn things now due to the fact that every monitor comes with one. 

anirudhya_g

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2023, 04:26:22 am
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2023, 04:26:22 am »

Does anyone know where can I find the software used in this video?