Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Diy Laser Light Gun.  (Read 17111 times)

ryoken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2022, 06:43:46 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Diy Laser Light Gun.
« on: May 10, 2019, 07:08:24 pm »
Hi  finally get this working and i make a quick test to show everyone the response time and precision i get out of a ps3 camera
I'm get extremely good results on a projector as a monitor.  Still i need too make more testing on a normal monitor and tv screens.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:07:28 am by ryoken »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Diy Laser Light Gun.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 09:41:35 pm »
Looks really good man, but can you give us some details?

nugarp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:35:34 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 02:58:57 am »
+1 on Howard's request. I would love to see how you did it!
Wheel2XInput | HDRecoil | LeaderLamps | NetLauncher | Discord | Youtube

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 08:50:57 am »
Very cool.  Interested in more details myself.  I have a similar projector setup and several laser guns setup to use like this.  I'm using:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShootOFF/comments/ahjz6n/shot_detection_to_mouse_click_alternative/ Works well but still could use improvement.
http://shootoffapp.com/ Works well within it's own program.  Shot to Click mode for external programs works so - so.
http://uweschmidt.org/projects/wiimote-whiteboard  Works fairly well but needs an IR laser gun.

Problem for gaming with any of these is that none of them work with emulators.  At least not for anything I've tried.  Would love to see a project for this that works with emulators.

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 09:25:25 am »
I just try it on a monitor  27" with satisfactory  response and accuracy

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 11:09:12 am »
Any reason you're using the green laser vs the more common red?  Camera track it better?

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 11:39:50 am »
Yes i use one cheap green laser because  they also  have infrared light in the output.  And i have an infrared  pass filter  in the ps3 camera.

thet0ast3r

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2020, 02:10:37 pm
  • Chihiro ftw
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 01:34:28 pm »
nice, this is with very minimal software and hardware, just get an infrared laser and you got a pretty decent and very precise lightgun. This concept was talked about here a lot.
Some problems however:
how to differentiate 2 guns on 1 screen?
What to do when the screen is too glossy?
thet0ast3r

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 10:57:16 pm »
Give me some more info guys and I might be able to do something with it.  I've got a lot of amazon credit I can use.  I doubt I can get a software solution to fake dual mice because of the way dual mice work, but I can probably get them to show up as joysticks. 

Glossy screens might be fixed via "clear" contact paper.  I checked and yes, such a thing exists.  Multiple players might mean two cameras with a different light filter on each and lasers putting out different ends of the spectrum. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 10:59:05 pm »
That Sinden guy better hurry up.

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 11:34:21 pm »
Starting some test to replace laser diode.  Using a safe 5mm low power led instead.  This is about 1 meter of distance  but it will remain almost the same size  at 2 meters. The focus point is incredible small. More test coming  using IR leds. I even  think this type of focus glasses arrangement will blast laser tag games industry  like longer shots with less beam light  spread.  Making more realistic  and challenging the accuracy in the game
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:44:17 pm by ryoken »

thet0ast3r

• Offline Offline
  • Chihiro ftw
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 06:26:35 am »
Give me some more info guys and I might be able to do something with it.  I've got a lot of amazon credit I can use.  I doubt I can get a software solution to fake dual mice because of the way dual mice work, but I can probably get them to show up as joysticks. 

Glossy screens might be fixed via "clear" contact paper.  I checked and yes, such a thing exists.  Multiple players might mean two cameras with a different light filter on each and lasers putting out different ends of the spectrum.

What I meant was not the software side of things, but rather the hardware. How do you separate 2 laser pointers and determine which one is player 1, and which one is player 2. With 4 players this would get messy. Also, if your camera is not accurate enough, it would be a problem if both players shoot at the same screen position. I wonder if one could do something with a simple lens, like in those laser levels, where you get a line instead of a dot. with 2 ir lines , it would be easier to separate 2 guns from eachother.
thet0ast3r

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 07:03:08 am »

Very good idea the clear screen paper. I was thinking to try with  clear  coat in mate finish  . I need to get and old cheap screen to try it first.

MrLightgun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2022, 10:38:07 pm
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 12:44:24 pm »
Interesting, how do we think Mars PDP solves the glossy screen?

Is the room dark or is it just the exposure of the camera?  What is the performance like with daylight?  I guess having a proper infra red laser would help with this.

I know it's a bit patronising but be careful with your eyes with that green laser and even when you switch to infra red don't automatically assume it is safe to look at.  There is no blink reflex with an infra red laser so if it happens to be unsafe it's actually more dangerous than a visible laser.

How essential is the piano in this setup?  :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 01:49:09 pm »

What I meant was not the software side of things, but rather the hardware. How do you separate 2 laser pointers and determine which one is player 1, and which one is player 2. With 4 players this would get messy. Also, if your camera is not accurate enough, it would be a problem if both players shoot at the same screen position. I wonder if one could do something with a simple lens, like in those laser levels, where you get a line instead of a dot. with 2 ir lines , it would be easier to separate 2 guns from eachother.

Like I said, you use lasers on opposite ends of the spectrum.  One IR and another UV.  The camera setup for IR can't see the UV dot and vice versa.  It could be done with visible lasers as well assuming you don't mind the dot.  You can do shape processing but it's better not to.  Finding a dot in a picture is pretty quick ... determining what shape it is isn't. Another option is having an Arduino control the on-off of the lasers and have it strobe the lasers in sequence, reading one at a time.  I'm not sure how quickly lasers fire up and fade off though, so that might not work. 

There aren't any 4 player light gun games that I'm aware of... there are some three player positional gun games. 

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 06:37:32 pm »
nice, this is with very minimal software and hardware, just get an infrared laser and you got a pretty decent and very precise lightgun. This concept was talked about here a lot.
Some problems however:
how to differentiate 2 guns on 1 screen?
What to do when the screen is too glossy?

I know the ShootOff software I linked above can differentiate between green and red lasers so two players on that basis may be possible.  Or to look at the bright side, two players with the same color laser could turn a single player game into two player co-op!

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 07:10:28 am »
Later i will try with a red laser  1mw.  I was trying to take apart  a green laser pointer to modify the output  an make it as low as possible.  But sadly i damage the laser diode in the process.  I have few more on the way but i really like to use these green laser if i manage to drow the power to the minimum. What make it perfect is you can put in front of the laser a ir pass filter and you keep the tracking but without the visible green laser. So it can be very easy to change how you want to play.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:12:22 am by ryoken »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 07:30:04 am »
It is nice to see that there is progress being made on multiple fronts with light guns.

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 07:36:08 am »
I just read pdp mars will make an announcement tomorrow.  Probably they will release early because they don't say anymore for 15 July on Facebook. I say this because be able to play with the  mars hardware can help a lot to understand how to get stuff done and make the laser tracking  working on pc much better with one or 4 players with one   camera.

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 12:30:50 pm »
I just try  the 1mw red laser with a ps3 camera  unmodified the ir filter still in the camera. Still some glare from the window but it works  flawlessly. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 10:50:27 pm »
I just read pdp mars will make an announcement tomorrow.  Probably they will release early because they don't say anymore for 15 July on Facebook. I say this because be able to play with the  mars hardware can help a lot to understand how to get stuff done and make the laser tracking  working on pc much better with one or 4 players with one   camera.

That's a bad sign.  Usually when a company has a release date posted and they remove it means the release will be delayed.  :(

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 11:22:42 pm »

That's a bad sign.  Usually when a company has a release date posted and they remove it means the release will be delayed.  :(

Indeed is what just happened.  It is delay some point at end of this year. Well it is ok i only  need to add the right  laser pointer to this beauty.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 12:32:03 am »
The mars lightguns are up on amazon for pre-order.

https://www.amazon.com/PDP-Xbox-One-Mars-Starter-Pack/dp/B07RL8WQFC/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=ir+laser&qid=1557894265&s=videogames&sr=1-1

Looks like there will be console versions.  The base unit with game, one gun and camera is $99 and each additional gun is $29.  Still pricy, but if you get the two gun bundle for $120 that's about the same as the act labs guns bitd.

Amazon has ps3 cameras up for $6.99, so I'm down to tinker.  I'm researching atm to see if this is yet another vb6 project or if I need to choose another language.  Video is one of the few things that vb6 can't do well so we'll see. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 01:05:52 am »
Went ahead and ordered a ps eye.  I also noticed that there are some sellers selling custom webcam filters at any desired wavelength.... around 2 for $10.  Aside from whatever device we choose to interface the buttons and the desired gun shell, I don't see a setup like this costing very much, which is kind of the point.    If you don't mind a wired setup I'm thinking a Arduino uno clone for the I/O (around $6) and a dollar store/s-mart toy gun for the shell and some misc bits like the laser and some micro switches. 

Found some vb code that looks decent, but until I get the actual webcam in hand I won't know if it's laggy or not.  I'm not going to buy everything needed until I can get a good proof of concept coded. 

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 01:29:41 am »
Pdpmars shipping date 31 /12/ 2019. And only USA and Canada market. Too bad not for Europe. This encourage me to go ahead with this Diy laser gun

thet0ast3r

• Offline Offline
  • Chihiro ftw
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 03:27:49 am »

Like I said, you use lasers on opposite ends of the spectrum.  One IR and another UV.  The camera setup for IR can't see the UV dot and vice versa.  It could be done with visible lasers as well assuming you don't mind the dot.  You can do shape processing but it's better not to.  Finding a dot in a picture is pretty quick ... determining what shape it is isn't. Another option is having an Arduino control the on-off of the lasers and have it strobe the lasers in sequence, reading one at a time.  I'm not sure how quickly lasers fire up and fade off though, so that might not work. 

There aren't any 4 player light gun games that I'm aware of... there are some three player positional gun games.

4 player-lightun game: Gaia attack 4 :D

2 ends of the spectrum would probably work, requiring 2 cameras nowadays wouldn`t even be that much of a problem.
Maybe one could simply take two ir lasers, and make one much brighter than the other one.

Another approach (that just came to my mind):
We could use identical lasers, that are pulsed at 120 hz, and get some cheap 3d shutter glasses (10 usd) for the 2 cameras) then we would have to sync the framerate to the cameras ( or probably [most likely)] that isn`t needed) - sync the guns to the glasses, and let them pulse with 120 hz ( microcontroller), with one gun always being on and the other one always being off. this should give (in theory) a somewhat robust, working solution, with 2 same laser pointers.
thet0ast3r

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 03:41:55 am »
Ghost squad can be play with 4 players on the wii

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 08:06:34 am »
So the Mars PDP is for Xbox, delayed and no mention of aPC version. Blech. I do have a couple of ps3 eye cameras. Tried to use them with the ShootOff software but they locked up all the time. Hopefully they work better with different software.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 09:03:51 am »
No the pc version is up on amazon as well.  It's a two gun kit for $129.  I'm not sure if there is a single person kit or not, but honestly the base unit is $99 anyway so it'd be silly not to fork over another 30 to make it two player. 

This one has actual completed product shots and pre-orders on amazon via a well established hardware company so atm at least it's closer to production than the sinden guns.  I want to see them both come out so people have options, but dems the facts. 

The software example I found really works with any webcam, but the high frame rate of the ps eye is something unusual on a low end, low resolution camera and processing a smaller image obviously takes less time, so I figured that'd be the place to start.  I think 640x480 should be enough, but like I mentioned in other threads, I'm not 100% certain it's enough in oddball mounting situations where the view wouldn't be straight on. 

bandicoot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:23:17 pm
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 11:11:54 am »
here's a hack for opentrack

it's work with only 1 point but for IR , i test it with PS3 EYETOY it's works but like a LIGHTPEN ( can't move with angle )
another hack of this for laser could work like a charm
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:56:40 pm by bandicoot »

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 12:26:40 pm »
Opentrack could be in my opinion the best o the best in lightguns. But only if the mouse or joystick emulate can can get a screen calibration using 3 tracking points like  the the clip with 3 ir leds for the headset.  But instead in front of the gun. In this way we can  track  multiple guns  with different led patterns
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:30:00 pm by ryoken »

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 05:22:04 pm »
No the pc version is up on amazon as well.  It's a two gun kit for $129. 

I'm not finding a PC version on Amazon.  Do you have a link?

Edit: The lightgun only listings say: 'universal lightgun' but everything with the camera says 'Xbox one'.  Hopefully they come out with a PC version and the light guns will work with either: 'universal'.  Or maybe the Xbox one version will work with PC.  All the Xboxes are basically a specialized PC AFAIK but I am not counting on that.  (until someone else does the testing, that is.)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:22:35 pm by SammyWI »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 03:34:59 pm »
I think that's just a press release mistake because the xbox version has a pic with the familiar xbox one stripe at the top of the game art and the other doesn't.  The easiest way to do this sort of gun in modern times is to have it show up as a gamepad, so that's probably the case here. 

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2019, 11:04:49 am »
I think that's just a press release mistake because the xbox version has a pic with the familiar xbox one stripe at the top of the game art and the other doesn't.  The easiest way to do this sort of gun in modern times is to have it show up as a gamepad, so that's probably the case here.
I think I'll wait until someone else tests that theory.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2019, 02:47:41 pm »
Yeah, the PDP Mars camera seems to be Xbox One only at the moment and the company's own website gives no hint as to further supported platforms. I would assume that the guns are just glorified laser pointers.

PS3 cameras are mind-bogglingly cheap and plentiful. If someone could get that working with the PDP Mars gun on PC, then that would be the best of both worlds, IMO. Otherwise, I'll just wait for the inevitable PC support from PDP Mars, assuming the Xbox One launch doesn't completely bomb.

thet0ast3r

• Offline Offline
  • Chihiro ftw
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2019, 04:42:53 pm »
Has anyone looked into raspberry pi + rpi camera? those are ridiculously cheap when bought from aliexpress, too (4.07 EUR / 5 USD) per piece, or 10 EUR if you want the night vision version. If you could get the software running on the raspberry pi (maybe zero?) then this could be a plug and play solution, which would be pretty cheap too.
thet0ast3r

ryoken

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2019, 05:32:33 pm »
I just finish virtua cop 2. With a laser on top of my wiimote shell.it feels so good to play with the laser tracking  it feels pixel accurate

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2019, 07:23:16 pm »
Are you going to share?

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2019, 08:12:18 pm »
Agreed, is this potentially a DIY thing that the rest of us can test?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2019, 09:12:03 pm »
He's probably just using open track, which works ok for 1p I believe.  As soon as the UPS guy gets off his fat butt and brings me my ps eye I'll cobble at least a mouse emulator together.