Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How to edit MAME crosshairs  (Read 988 times)

tangodownNZ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2024, 09:59:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
How to edit MAME crosshairs
« on: July 14, 2023, 04:50:19 pm »
I see there is lots of thread on editing MAME crosshairs. But I can not find a crosshair folder in my MAME directory anywhere.

I checked the MAME .ini file. Under core search path options I have crosshairpath crosshair. I can not see how to find where the crosshairs are located. I checked in the artwork folder, nothing.

Do I need to create my own crosshair folder in the mame directory and put custom crosshair .png files in that folder. But then, out of curiosity, where is MAME looking at the default crosshairs?

Thank you to the guys who always help with these questions. I am running MAME .226

tangodownNZ

• Offline Offline
Re: How to edit MAME crosshairs
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 05:26:35 pm »
I created my own crosshair folder in the MAME directory and got it to work in MAME .226

However, when I try the same thing in .220 I only have the default crosshairs available in OPWOLF
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 07:55:03 pm by tangodownNZ »

tangodownNZ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2023, 01:37:20 am »
I created my own crosshair folder in the MAME directory and got it to work in MAME .226

However, when I try the same thing in .220 I only have the default crosshairs available in OPWOLF

/crosshair not /crosshairs!

solved

Why do we need to add a custom crosshair folder. And where are the default crosshairs and where does mame find them. Just out of interest

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2023, 03:33:12 am »
Why do we need to add a custom crosshair folder.
So you can add custom crosshairs or change which crosshair color is assigned to a player.   ;)

And where are the default crosshairs and where does mame find them. Just out of interest
Looks like MAME's default "Built-In" diagonal crosshairs are embedded in the UI video code -- no separate crosshair .PNG files needed unless you want to use custom crosshairs or change crosshair colors from the defaults.
Nathan Woods added a concept of a "crosshair screen mask" internal to video.c and created a static call to retrieve the mask.
https://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/MAME_0.114u2

Tried Terminator 2 in MAME v0.254 with no "..\crosshair\" directory and the game showed both the game's default vertical/horizontal crosshairs (see 6:00 in the video below) and MAME's default diagonal crosshairs.
- As expected, when you switch off the MAME crosshairs, you still see the game crosshairs.
- When you add the "..\crosshair\" directory and .PNGs, you can select crosshairs/colors other than "Built-In".

Scott

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2023, 03:15:08 pm »
Way back when we made some crosshairs for Howard Casto's Troubleshooter 2.
See attached...

Been a long time, but I assume they are still compatible with MAME.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2023, 05:42:53 pm »
Way back when we made some crosshairs for Howard Casto's Troubleshooter 2.
See attached...

Been a long time, but I assume they are still compatible with MAME.
Cool designs.  Confirmed working with T2 and Shooting Gallery in MAME v0.254.

Sometimes right after you change crosshairs in MAMEUIFX v0.152, the crosshairs will swap between two different colors/designs as you move around the screen.   :dizzy:
- Exiting/relaunching the game seems to fix it.

Scott