Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Which Monitor  (Read 1367 times)

CHRIS-F

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:59:12 am
  • I always have screws left over after repairs :-)
Which Monitor
« on: May 07, 2019, 05:37:49 pm »
Hi Guys, I have a generic Jamma cabinet with a 19" Hantarek monitor (I forget the model but mtc 9000 sounds about right) I know most people will call me crazy but I would like to take it out of my machine and fit a vga monitor of some sort, I have a few reasons, firstly it has always had a bit of interference and I have no clue how to fix it, also those voltages scare the hell out of me and thirdly my power supply has failed, I've been running a real pcb (city connection) for a while but as I say there was always a bit of interference on the screen. I do have a jpac and an arcade vga I bought years ago but never got around to using them as I wanted to get the monitor running without interference before going over to mame, my machine doesn't get used at the moment so i was thinking of just putting a flat screen vga in for now so the kids can use it and buying a cheap pc to run mame, but what are my options?

I was thinking of an older pc monitor, but what type will fit the cabinet better and give a decent'ish picture? the 19" monitor is roughly 17" wide by 13" high would I be better getting an older 3:4 19" or would a regular widescreen be better?

I don't have any spare cash at present so need something really cheep.
also if i do decide on flat screen pc monitor will the arcade vga card be of any use with that type of monitor?

I'm in the uk if that helps any :-)

Regards,
Chris.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
Re: Which Monitor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 05:17:45 am »
Thanks, but I don’t think I’m asking the right question, what my actual question should have been is, I’m fed up with an arcade machine I can’t use and just want to put a flatscreen pc monitor (vga) in it for now, but what size shape will give the closest match to my 19” crt, would I be best with an older 4:3 or is a normal 16:9 a better choice, the crt is roughly 17” wide 13” high.

I’ve actually fixed the PSU fault and had it running again (with interference) and I think I would like to fix the crt after all but ill seek help in a new thread with that, but for now a quick flatscreen fix would be great just to get it in use again.

Thanks guys.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 01:57:08 pm »
Definitely get the original monitor fixed. As for a replacement you will want a 4:3 19/20"  Ideally you want a CRT.  Plenty are available still whereabouts in the UK are you because I am sure I still have a spare flatscreen kicking around somewhere

CHRIS-F

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 07:25:09 pm »
Definitely get the original monitor fixed. As for a replacement you will want a 4:3 19/20"  Ideally you want a CRT.  Plenty are available still whereabouts in the UK are you because I am sure I still have a spare flatscreen kicking around somewhere

I'm in Merseyside, I'm going to see if I can get my CRT monitor sorted first, I had a loose spade terminal on my PSU (thought the psu was dead) but I must have damaged the spade after I re caped the psu, anyway got it running again the other night and the monitor colours/brightness etc look decent just need to trace where the interference is coming from, I'll start with a new PSU/JAMMA loom and a new JAMMA to 'City Connection' adapter and see where I go from there, may need a monitor re cap also but my loom is a bit tired and the psu is not the best so best start there:-)