Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Some PI questions from a noobie - Hoping for some help. Thank you all !  (Read 4841 times)

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
Hoping some of the resident PI experts could help a noobie out.
I've got a Raspberry Pi that I'm using to power my Punch-Out bartop.
I've got a few questions and I'm hoping yall could help.

ONE - I have a 32GB Image for my PI. The image was designed for a 32GB card. I extracted it, put
it on the card and had no issues. Within the Pi menu it shows card is 96% full.
I saw something about expanding the file system, I'm wondering if that would be
necessary in this case ? (as the image was 32BG and used on a 32GB card).
I watched a video on YouTube, but the menu option he showed doesn't appear as such on my Pi menu. I'm using Launch Box.

TWO - MAME will not save my control configuration.  EDIT - Furthermore, I attempted to change the volume for my Midway games in MAME (MK3, NBA JAM). MAME would not retain the volume adjustments. I'm lost here for what to do.

THREE - I  referenced this in a previous thread. I get screen flicker on the main Pi
menu. But the flicker appears to stop when a game is loaded. I assume the resolution when playing the games is perhaps less than when on the main menu. I'm using an HDMI to VGA adapter. I found a video on YouTube where someone was using a similar device. They made a few changes to change the resolution of the Pi. I did this, but the flicker remains. I'm yet to test with a 2nd monitor, but I will. But any help or advice would be appreciated.

I'm using a Dell 2210 monitor and Raspberry Pi 3B board.

Thank you all for  your assistance
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:55:12 pm by mike boss »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:47:50 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
ONE - I have a 32GB Image for my PI. The image was designed for a 32GB card. I extracted it, put
it on the card and had no issues. Within the Pi menu it shows card is 96% full.
I saw something about expanding the file system, I'm wondering if that would be
necessary in this case ? (as the image was 32BG and used on a 32GB card).
In this case, it won't be necessary.

If you loaded a smaller card image on a larger card, that would be when you would want to expand the file system.

For example, if you loaded an 8GB image on your 32GB card, the card will have up to 8GB of files and the rest of the 8GB as free space because the RasPi partition/File Allocation Table only maps the 8GB of the original card.

Expanding the file system maps the unused 24GB to the RasPi partition/File Allocation Table, giving you up to 8GB of files and 24GB of free space.   :cheers:

Scott

mike boss

• Offline Offline
@ PL1 , thank you.

I didn't think it was an issue, but wanted to ask and be sure.
Now if I can crack the code with this monitor issue, and MAME not saving the config I'm off to the races.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I had an opportunity tonight to test out a 19" 4x3 monitor I had around the house.
I used the same HDMI to VGA adapter, however I changed the VGA cable (all be it I don't think that was the issue).
With the 19" monitor I got no screen flicker and all worked well.
I'm looking to test now with a 3rd monitor, another 22" monitor I have in the house to see if that works.
If I get no flicker with the 3rd monitor at a minimum identify that my monitor is indeed the issue.
I'll simply swap it out.

All that would remain is to figure out why my MAME configurations are not being saved.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
So I tested a 3rd monitor I had in the house, another 22" Acer monitor.
I had no issues with this monitor either. So I can safely say it is the existing 22" monitor I have in the bartop that is the issue.

The only flicker I get now is when I escape a game and go into the main Pi menu. But its minimal and non distracting.

Before the amount of flicker was INSANE !

I've tracked down a 21.5" monitor with the same width as my existing Dell monitor (as installed in the bartop). I'll be getting that tonight for $15. I should be able to wrap up the project providing the monitor gives me no issues.

Outside of that I'm simply going to a 19" 4X3 monitor.

Still looking to find out why MAME wont save me settings.

mike boss

• Offline Offline

So I picked up a 21.5" LCD monitor yesterday used for $15.
Pretty much the exact same size as what I had installed prior, so it
slipped right into place. Monitor is good, nice picture, and best of all
no screen flicker. So indeed I can say it was the monitor I had installed
was indeed the issue. (I've tested 3 other monitors, all of which gave me no issue)

With the monitor installed all I need to do now is clean up my wiring, IE,
cable management! Install my artwork, and solve this main configuration issue.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
So I installed the 3rd monitor and all was good in MAME land.
Ironically however yesterday upon power up, no video!
Unlike the other monitor though, I got the default notice on screen saying "no signal." So in the end I think in part the monitor cable was part of my issue.

However in the end, for $15 I'm ok with my decision. It gives me an extra 22" monitor as back up anyway.

As noted prior, I'm looking to solve my MAME issue as it won't save settings.

daywane

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 07:18:07 am
  • GRRRR!
Have you tried saving volume in emulation station? Even if so try it again

mike boss

• Offline Offline
Have you tried saving volume in emulation station? Even if so try it again

In Emulation Station I can adjust and save the overall volume @ the main menu.
However in MAME, settings won't save.
For example, in MAME Midway games are often quiet, more quiet than most games.
I can go into the MAME menu via tab, reconfigure my buttons.
And in Midway games I  think I hit F2 to get the service menu.
So take MK3 for example. If I were to hit F2, adjust the volume and save it, then via TAB, reconfigure my controller to have the run button where I'd like.
If I exit MAME, then go back into it, not even powering down...the settings are gone.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
I dont use prebuilt retro images or even retroarch. However, maybe you have incorrect access permissions on your mame.ini file?

mike boss

• Offline Offline
I dont use prebuilt retro images or even retroarch. However, maybe you have incorrect access permissions on your mame.ini file?

I'm unsure  to be honest.
As noted this was a pre-built PI image, I extracted, put on the SD card and away I went. I popped the SD card back into my PC recently to make a change to one of the Pi files (as to change the resolution due to my above noted problems).

I didn't even see a folder for emulators, or ROMS, nothing. I looked (quickly mind you) and didn't even see the MAME folder.

Hopefully I can find the correct folder/file and look. What exactly though do I look for ?

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.

As noted this was a pre-built PI image, I extracted, put on the SD card and away I went. I popped the SD card back into my PC recently to make a change to one of the Pi files (as to change the resolution due to my above noted problems).

I didn't even see a folder for emulators, or ROMS, nothing. I looked (quickly mind you) and didn't even see the MAME folder.

Hopefully I can find the correct folder/file and look. What exactly though do I look for ?

find / -name “mame.ini”

mike boss

• Offline Offline

find / -name “mame.ini”

Thank you, I will attempt this today (if I can get it done before the Raptors game!).
Question though, once I find it, how do I check the permissions ?
Is it just looking to ensure the file is not "read only?"

Thank you

mike boss

• Offline Offline
As much as I like the Pi image I'm using, I'm looking to change to a different image.
I haven't found a way in which to save my MAME settings.
I'm looking for a new 32GB image that will allow my to save my MAME settings.
I want to ensure every emulator, from NES to SNES, to MAME , etc all work as needed.

The current configuration does not work for me, and the inability to adjust/save a working configuration is a HUGE issue.