Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Tyson's Taphouse: Big Lebowski  (Read 3869 times)

dir

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2022, 09:46:46 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Tyson's Taphouse: Big Lebowski
« on: May 04, 2019, 06:52:10 pm »
I've almost finished converting a previously converted cabinet.  Originally NBA Jam. then Golden Tee 2K, now a MAME cab with emphasis still on Golden Tee.

I'll skip the details for now.  Here's some photos.

Update: I created a build log on imgur that doesn't suffer from the photo distortions in this thread.  You can see it here
https://imgur.com/gallery/Y8QQVvt

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 05:23:37 pm by dir »

dir

• Offline Offline
Re: Tyson's Taphouse: Big Lebowski
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 07:00:17 pm »
Photos of cabinet as I found it, as a poor conversion to GT 2K.
The monitor was out of whack so I recalibrated it.  It also arced badly and would short out at the flyback (?).  I used silicon on the flyback box thing and that stopped the arcing. 

The cabinet wood was pretty bunged up over the years.  Lots of unnecessary bolts and bolt holes.  Bondo, sanding, etc sorted that.  I removed the GT2K PCB and swapped out the power supply for a newer one with slightly better specs to handle the 6 or 7 USB, light etc. connections.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 07:17:03 pm by dir »

dir

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 07:04:34 pm »
I bought a couple of servostiks (4/8way) and originally thought I wanted to embed them flush with the 3/4" ply CP.  So I created a very complex routing guide to achieve that because I couldn't find anyone else that had done this.  I eventually scrapped this idea and simply mounted them underneath and used a short shaft extender.  I didn't mind/notice the additional travel as a result so that's ok.

Here's the templates for those that want to go this way.

dir

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 07:13:47 pm »
I made several mock-ups of the potential CP layout.  Since the original CP was 37" wide and intended for 4 player, I had lots of room.  I didn't want to bother with making a 4way panel.  And the owner of the cab really really likes playing GT on it so I needed to retain a lot of the GT controls.  And there's a lot of beer involved.  So, with the overall space I needed/wanted:
Trackball
Spinner (I'm a Tempest nut)
Cup holders (yes, the dreaded cup holders)
Minimal admin buttons.

Initially the mock ups were using cardboard and paper.  From there I ordered the bits, then cut out the holes etc. on a 3/4" plywood prototype to get a feel for the layout.  I went through 3 protypes before settling on the final layout.

dir

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 07:26:26 pm »
Because I was modifying this machine on behalf of a friend/neighbour, I wanted the graphical design to incorporate a number of elements:
- He's got 12 beers on tap in his garage
- His name's Tyson
- He loves The Big Lebowski
- We all love playing Golden Tee 2K on it
- Our fav beer was voted #1 in BC/Canada this year and is from just down the road at the Axe & Barrel

I contacted a couple of graphics artists initially but burned them out pretty quickly with my anal OCD (sorry, guys!).  That forced me to learn enough Photoshop to come out with a result that I was OK with.  I then did a couple of print runs at the local Staples to see how the graphics lined up with my plywood. 

Short answer was, they didn't.  Well, they didn't well enough to be perfect.  So I found a CNC cutter and converted the flattened photoshop design into Illustrator then into CAD.  I supplied the highest quality smooth plywood I could buy and the result was perfect.  The graphics lined up with the plywood perfectly.

I then had the graphics printed by Bradley Bowman (bjbowman), a popular choice in this forum. 

dir

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 07:35:14 pm »
After having wired then unwired 3 protypes, it was relatively simple to do the final wiring.  Tedious though.  I took extra time to ensure all connections were secure and as professional as I could make them.
I chose illuminated buttons which meant a LOT of additional wires and configuration.  I'm still configuring the LEDBlinky lighting patterns but my intention is to have the colours follow the overall graphical palette unless in a game.
To enhance the Big Lebowski theme, I created 100 sound bites from the movie and replaced Hyperspin's default sound effect with them.  So now when wheels are "turned", you hear overlapping quotes from the movie.  Pretty funny.  I also created 4 intro videos (randomized) based on the movie that I obtained from youtube.  So when the cabinet is turned on, you get a short Lebowski compilation short vid then Hyperspin with Lebowski sound effects.

dir

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 07:43:46 pm »
For the marquee, I wanted to use the almost-perfectly-porportioned artist's rendition of a scene from the movie.  It was that image that started me down the road of making the cabinet a Lebowski theme.  However, I wanted the marquee to have some sort of title that wasn't one of the common ones (arcade, mame, etc.).  I hit upon "Tyson's Taphouse" as a good play on words that reflects the 12 beers on tap where this machine will reside, as well as the obvious tapping of arcade buttons.  No guessing what his name is.  You'll also see this name on the side art as well as below the trackball, as a label on the golf ball.

I followed a Photoshop tutorial for making faux-neon signs and placed it over the marquee background image in such a way that it appears that the characters from the movie are looking at it.  To make the lettering "pop", I installed an LED marquee lighting strip and installed it at the height of the lettering.  I kept the original 12" fluorescent tube for general illumination.

dir

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 07:50:02 pm »
Apart from a lot of sanding, bondo, spray paint and other touchups, I wanted the original black monitor bezel to have a bit of colour.  So I painted it.  I'm OK with the result and it's better than the original black, which I found really dragged the overall look down.
I used the original Golden Tee instruction panel (the long yellow strip) and placed it slightly out of the way below the CP because the colour scheme just doesn't go and again, it distracts from the overall look.

I added a few Lebowski touches to the CP design as well that can be seen in some of the close-ups.

Incidentally, I haven't revealed any of this to Tyson yet.  I'll do the big unveiling at his house in a couple of weeks.  I've ordered a "Tyson's Taphouse" 'neon' (LED) sign to be made that's in the same font/colour that will hang in his garage.  When that comes I'll set it all up for the big reveal.

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 03:12:48 pm
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 11:35:04 pm »
Whole thing looks really good.. If I had a friend with 12 taps in his basement.. I would build him a cabinet too.. Smart Investment..

- Zeosstud

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 02:20:09 pm »
Really nice job - love the bright colors.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Tyson's Taphouse: Big Lebowski
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 05:02:33 pm »
To be very honest, your cabinet does a few things that I am not a big fan of, but you’ve done a good job incorporating those things in the project.  I have to say very nice, your friend is lucky.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 08:49:52 pm by yotsuya »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 02:52:10 am
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 08:29:51 pm »
This is the first time I've ever liked cupholders on a cabinet.  The theme and the "beverage" text... yeah, that makes it good.  :lol 

Nicely done!

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 11:46:21 am »
That cabinet is super tight butthole. I would love to own that.
And I agree about the cup holders... they add a bowling alley vibe that just works with this.
Do we still do HOF cabs around here? Cuz this is worthy of nomination.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 12:26:45 pm »
I get it's a Golden Tee reference, but that golf ball should have been a bowling ball...
%Bartop

jeremymtc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:55:36 pm
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 03:00:03 am »
I get it's a Golden Tee reference, but that golf ball should have been a bowling ball...

Obviously you're not a golfer...

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 11:29:25 am »
 :lol
%Bartop

Vincefaro

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2023, 04:52:36 pm
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 07:42:39 pm »
"Huh", No Like I said Woo peed on my rug. "  Well done. great artwork, from one of the best movies ever made.