Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I'm Stumped: Weird JAMMA Wiring?  (Read 1789 times)

afowlerart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 07, 2019, 04:02:20 pm
  • Dazed and Confused
I'm Stumped: Weird JAMMA Wiring?
« on: May 03, 2019, 03:03:02 pm »
Curious to see if anyone else had seen this before.

I have a Street Fighter II: The World Warrior cabinet that I'm attempting to restore. I'm no expert at this, but I work in IT and arrogantly assumed that I could handle this. (I am rarely correct when I'm being arrogant.  :-\ )

The main things I needed to replace were the buttons, joysticks, power supply, and the JAMMA harness (I determined that several wires in the harness had shorts in them.)

Once I got into the cab, I ran into a few oddities.

Here's the new JAMMA harness I bought for the machine:

...And here's the old one. Looks totally different. Several wires in the loom were ended with this Molex-like connector:

The purple/black 2-pin connector runs to an on/off flip switch inside the machine (pretty nice to have, I suppose). The 12-pin bundle connects various things in the cabinet (monitor, speakers, etc.) The whole thing connects to another bundle of wiring in the machine. It appears to run power to the lights and various other things as well.

There's a tag on the bundle that says "PLATEAU INC. P/N 3001". There are several other Plateau Inc. stickers on the inside of the cab, so I'm assuming they were the original manufacturer of this cabinet.

Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at here, and if it'd be possible to replace this JAMMA harness?

afowlerart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 07, 2019, 04:02:20 pm
  • Dazed and Confused
Re: I'm Stumped: Weird JAMMA Wiring?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 03:12:10 pm »
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 07:18:35 pm »
1.  JAMMA harnesses aren't universal, just the jamma edge connector and it's pinout is.... you have to roll your own loom in most cases if you want to use all the original molex connectors and ect. 
2.  Street Fighter isn't 100% Jamma as it has six buttons per player and thus requires a kick harness. 

Google is your friend.  If you search for "jamma pinout" it'll show you what goes where in terms of a true jamma game.  You'll additionally want to cross reference sf2's particular deviations by searching for "cps1 street fighter ii pinout" which will show you how the kick harness goes.  At least I assume it's cps1....some versions of sf2 were re-released on cps2 hardware.    As for those molex connectors, that's what a multi-meter with a continuity tester is for. 

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 08:55:59 am »
Can wire everything new, or make a direct replacement. Either way, find a source for molex connectors. I make a harness for my mvs now utilizing a jpac. I dont need to worry about power. Marquee and monitor are wired independently vac to isolation transformer. Used molex connectors wherever i felt a break could help for service/maintenance. I was able to find the edge connector and push in pins, but you could always use a premade jamma harness and depin or desolder unused connections.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 02:18:35 pm »
Just use the original molex connectors.  They might need a good cleaning, but it's highly unlikely that they've went bad.  Snip them off and wire them up.  Again, a multi-meter with a continuity test is your friend.