Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Boot up to single mame rom only  (Read 4424 times)

severdhed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
Boot up to single mame rom only
« on: May 01, 2019, 03:39:04 pm »
My wife is in charge of a 6th grade social at my son's school, which is 80s themed, and they would like some kind of 80s video game for the kids to paly.  It needs to be an 80s game and im' thinking 4 player is the way to go.  It doesn't get much more 80s than 4 player TMNT. I have a 4 player mame pedestal cabinet that just so happens to be TMNT themed.  I don't really want to transport the entire cabinet, but i was thinking, i could unbolt the control panel box from the base, throw in a raspberry pi, plug in the ipac4 and have it boot up directly into the 4 player tmnt mame rom. (they have a projector setup in the gym that we can plug it into.  I don't want or need a front end or list of games...just TMNT.  I've built several retropie systems over the years, but it just seems like a lot more than i need for this purpose. plus i'm not sure how to get it to boot directly into a specific rom.  I have been out of the loop for a while so i'm coming here for help.

what is the easiest way to accomplish this?   Is there an SD card image floating around out there with just a basic OS and MAME?  Do i need to use retropie?   

any help would be appreciated.
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Boot up to single mame rom only
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 05:37:47 pm »
Had a lot of negative hate when talking about releasing an image. So i never followed through. But heres my guide if interested. People love slow, bloated, plays 20000+ roms.

https://github.com/keilmillerjr/Raspberry-Pi-MAME-Setup-Guide

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 09:56:20 am »
thanks, i'll check that out.

i did manage to get it working yesterday using retropie.  I just installed the latest retropie, enabled ssh, connected from my pc and ran the following commands:

sudo nano /opt/retropie/configs/all/autostart.sh   

this opens the autostart script for editing, i added the following line at the top of the file and saved it:

/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ mame-mame4all ~/RetroPie/roms/arcade/tmnt.zip

now when it boots up, it launches tmnt.    now i just need to connect my ipac and get the controls configured.
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

dave123

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2019, 07:47:34 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 01:36:16 pm »
 I trying  to boot to a single game when it turns on. I have tried to do the things in the other post but no luck. I have retropie 3 and would like to boot to nba jam in mame. I can get to boot to mame when powered on but cant get to load straight to the game. I am new to the pi so need help with this.