Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Chadwyk's Ghostbuster's Cabinet  (Read 42053 times)

chadwyk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2020, 04:37:49 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160171.0.html
Chadwyk's Ghostbuster's Cabinet
« on: April 29, 2019, 08:07:54 pm »
Hey Everyone! 

I've been watching this forum on and off for the past 6 months getting ideas and reading tips for starting my own project.  Now that it is finally warming up here in Wisconsin and I can work in the garage comfortably, I decided it is time to just jump in and start - otherwise it would never get done.  This project definitely seems daunting.  I have very little experience woodworking, but I am a retro gamer, collector, programmer, and do IT for my day job so hopefully I won't have too many issues with the technical side of it all!  I am a recently new homeowner and I figure this will be a perfect project for me to start fine tuning my handyman skills on a topic I love! Unfortunately I don't have many tools either, so this project is going to get expensive fast!

Today I took the first step, and got my friend to help me out with his truck, and we picked up several sheets of 3/4inch pine plywood, and extra wood just in case!  I thought about other materials, but I thought pine fit my budget and project the best.  Tomorrow I plan on picking up a jigsaw, router, and a few other odds and ends to help out.

The cabinet is going to be using @ChanceKJ's template for the sides.  It's going to be a 4 player battleship CP.  At this point I'm looking to get most of the parts from Ultimarc.  I'd like to go full on RGB buttons and sticks. I want a spinner, trackball, plunger and side buttons on the CP for virtual pinball, and a couple light guns.  Finally I think it would be cool to have the LCD marquee as well.  As I buy the parts I'll update this post but I'm going to hold off on most of this until I am successful on the woodworking part!

These are just all ideas floating in my head right now. Things may change.  Unfortunately I don't have any good ones for a theme or artwork yet. But in time that will come as well.  I'm kind of taking the same technique as I do when I start a programming project.  Just start. Get something done and move forward. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 06:22:33 pm by chadwyk »

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: Chadwyk's Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 02:11:41 am »
Good luck with the build.  Can we assume you know not to angle player 3 and 4's joysticks :) 

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 10:33:39 am »
 ;D yup I’ve seen mistakes others have done. I’m going to have to play with templates as well. I want to avoid the crazy angles on the CP that dig into your hip too.

I might pump the breaks a bit and play with MAME and front ends. I had originally wanted to stick a 32” monitor in it. But large 4K TVs are so cheap these days, after reading some other threads I’m starting to like the idea more and more to mount a larger 42” panel vertically. If I’m going to have it do pinball, that might be nice to have. Though I might want the extra screen space masked off for other normal aspect games. I’m not real sure what’s all possible, or if I could make some sort of bezel that folds away for pinball.

Regardless, this may change how I build the sides of the cabinet and viewing angle for the tv. Going to do some testing with MAME and a smaller vertical monitor that I have to see if I like that idea.

Are there cons that other people have encountered with mounting a monitor vertical like that?

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 02:43:27 pm »
The biggest con seems to be screen placement and custom resolutions. If using analog/vga to connect to the screen you can move it around to top/bottom or 2/3rds of way up  or pretty much anywhere you like. But if using Digital/HDMI then its pretty much top or bottom and no other choices.  This then limits screen location/angle within the cabinet itself. I got as far as planning a big monitor vertically mounted machine with active marquee.  First lot of wood arrived damaged, I got a refund and haven't gone back to it yet.   Seemingly we may get a decent summer this year in the UK, if so then I am sure I will do some more work on it.   

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 06:49:22 pm »
Good to know about the placement via digital input!

Going back to the Pinball stuff, I was thinking of some cool ideas where the cab could "transform" and it would lay flat for pinball.  However, knowing my skill level with woodworking, I think I'm getting a bit over my head and wishing too much out of this project, which is what I do often when excited!  As much as I want it to be able to do everything, I think I need to keep it simple.  I may just remove all pinball ideas.  If this project works out well, I may build a stand alone virtual pinball table instead.

I've been playing with MAME and HyperSpin/Rocket Launcher all day in a VM on my Mac.  I really need to get it setup on my PC to play with vertical monitors.

I think maybe I'm going to make up a scale model out of cardboard before I do any cutting of wood, and see how best to fit the monitor in and if I have to adapt the templates in any way.

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 10:32:13 am »
I did a few mock ups for a large 4K tv in portrait and even though a large 4K screen sounds cool, I don’t think I’m going to go that route. I don’t like that almost half the screen would be masked if I did a portrait mode monitor. The cab would also need to be significantly bigger. I still really like the idea of a 4K monitor though. It’s a shame I can’t find any 32” 4K TVs!  :hissy: I thought about scaling it up to a 43” 4K tv but i popped in Turtles in Time and sat a foot away from an existing 42” tv I have and it seems too big and overkill. I want to keep it practical. I don’t want to spend a ton of money either on a 32” 4K pc monitor. I am looking at TCL TVs. They typically have low lag from my experience and they are cheap! So I’m leaning toward their 32” 1080p model.

So today I’m going to run to Staples and have them print my templates for side panels and start cutting wood after I run to Home Depot and pickup more tools! It begins!  :applaud:

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 05:37:40 pm »
Well today was a busy day. I ran all over town. I went to look at TVs. Yeah I’m making the correct decision. 43” is too big. I went to Home Depot and bought clamps, jigsaw, plunge router, an orbital sander and some other odds and ends. I signed up for the Home Depot credit card and got $50 off though so that helped. Typically I don’t sign up for store cards but I thought why not. I have a feeling I will be back a lot!

I went to Staples and got the side panel template printed. I got home and cut it out. All ready to go, the wood is still too damp to cut :hissy: I tried cutting and got about an inch in and the saw was not liking it at all.  It looks like I will need to wait until it dries out a bit. Maybe next weekend I can give it another go. Looks like rain all week too so the extra moisture in the air probably won’t help much either.

Until then I’m going to start designing the CP.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 02:52:10 am
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 01:28:00 am »
I don’t like that almost half the screen would be masked if I did a portrait mode monitor.

I thought about scaling it up to a 43” 4K tv but i popped in Turtles in Time and sat a foot away from an existing 42” tv I have and it seems too big and overkill.

You know those two cancel each other out, right? 

(If you mask off 43% of the screen to make it square, and run bezels, it also ceases to be too big.)

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 12:27:15 pm »
Sorry, I should have been more clear. In the instance there with Turtles in Time, “too big” was in reference to being too close to the screen and not liking how large the actual visible “square” is. Not the physical size of the tv itself or aspect it was in.

If this project turns out well, maybe my second project will be more ambitious.  :cheers:

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 11:47:33 pm »
I got side panels!!! I picked up a circular saw from my father and it made all the world's difference.  I suck at using a jigsaw and was not able to make straight lines, even with a straight edge guide, but with the circular saw it was like cutting butter.  Considering my experience with woodworking and power tools is near 0, I am actually really impressed with how well the two side panels came out.  I cut them very close to exactly the same.  Did not need to use a flush trim bit after all.  I clamped them together after they were cut out and the few areas that didn't match up exactly, I easily sanded down with an orbital sander. I now have two side panels that are near identical.  I need to sand a few high spots down on where the CP will sit though. Measuring with my iPhone, I noticed one is 6 degrees and the other 3. Next I'll be starting to plan out where to add my ledger boards. I should try to find some casters as well soon so I can start planning the base.

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 02:16:32 pm »
I've been brainstorming all weekend on theme ideas.  I really don't like the idea of a general mish mash collage of characters.  I think I am going to do a Ghostbusters theme.  They have always been one of my favorite 80's franchises, and looking around I feel like there have not been many Ghostbusters themed cabs that I have seen.  I also just ordered a 3d Printer for unrelated stuff, but I think I have some  ideas that if they pan out, would be pretty cool for the theme.  I don't know how feasible it would be, but I would like to disassemble the light guns, and 3d print new housings of the Proton Blaster and have them attached to 3d printed proton packs that would be permanently mounted on the sides of the cab or under the overhang of the CP.  Either way if it works or not, I'm pretty excited about the theme.   ;D

Now that I settled on a theme and colors, I just placed my order for t-molding and a router bit to make the groove. Tonight after work, I'm going to start with the supports for the side panels.  I also ordered similar casters to what Chance used.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 02:33:56 pm »
I've been brainstorming all weekend on theme ideas.  I really don't like the idea of a general mish mash collage of characters.  I think I am going to do a Ghostbusters theme.  They have always been one of my favorite 80's franchises, and looking around I feel like there have not been many Ghostbusters themed cabs that I have seen.  I also just ordered a 3d Printer for unrelated stuff, but I think I have some  ideas that if they pan out, would be pretty cool for the theme.  I don't know how feasible it would be, but I would like to disassemble the light guns, and 3d print new housings of the Proton Blaster and have them attached to 3d printed proton packs that would be permanently mounted on the sides of the cab or under the overhang of the CP.  Either way if it works or not, I'm pretty excited about the theme.   ;D

Now that I settled on a theme and colors, I just placed my order for t-molding and a router bit to make the groove. Tonight after work, I'm going to start with the supports for the side panels.  I also ordered similar casters to what Chance used.

You do realize that means instead of a coin door you have to have a containment grid entry port, right?

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 03:46:59 pm »
You do realize that means instead of a coin door you have to have a containment grid entry port, right?

Haha, I was thinking something similar to that too! :cheers: Still brainstorming... 3d print a trap too, and remove it from the containment grid to retrieve the coins  :o

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 01:47:45 pm »
I spent a good amount of time last night in Photoshop with Chance's side panel template trying to figure out where to place the supports and how the panels should all be.  I mapped it all out on a 1 inch grid along the whole template.  This is the result.  Everything should be "more or less" to scale.  I warn, if anyone uses this, these measurements and placements are estimates.  I'm sure the sizes of the panels may change as I go. I wanted some sort of plan before I started cutting though.  Green is the wood panels, yellow is the supports, light blue is plexi, and dark blue are LCD screens.  I have my panels offset from the outside edges of the sides by 1" except around the top of the Marquee where it gets funky with the angles.  I thought about 0.5" but after playing with scrap wood in the garage to see how it would look, I thought 1" felt better.  I hope I don't regret that later. The design for the base also needs work, but I'm going to wait for the casters come in so I have something more concrete to work with.

Also since I am planning on the computer living below the shelf, I didn't extend the shelf all the way back and put a lip on the back of it to prevent things from falling down.  I did this because I wanted air circulation to the ventilation holes on the back panel. I don't envision storing anything more than a wireless keyboard and mouse anyway.  The shelf doesn't need to be that large.

Finally, I think I finally found a supplier from Canada for an LCD Marquee.  It's a little more than I would like to spend on it, but he is giving me a deal on it.  I need to finalize the deal yet but it will be 1920x360 pixels, 1000nits brightness, 23.5" x 4.4" tall. With bezel it will be 24.1" x 5.2" x 0.5". I'm unsure if I would keep in in the bezel or not. I was thinking of masking off a border on plexi to place in front of it, then mount the LCD directly behind it.  I'm not really short of space, so I might just leave the bezel.  We'll see how it looks when I get it. Otherwise I'll need to figure out some sort of frame for it.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 01:49:35 pm by chadwyk »

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 01:30:01 am »
I cut the braces/ledgers last night and measured out where they go on one side. Need to do that on the opposite, then glue/screw them.  Casters and T-Modling came today! I have off work tomorrow, and it is a long holiday weekend. I hope to have a lot of updates! It would be nice if I had this thing mostly built by the end! Crossing my fingers! Though I might just grill and drink on the deck too  :o

I spent a lot of time this week doing concept art on a control panel design.  I originally went with Jarret's Battleship, but I realized that it is too crowded for players 3 and 4.  I rounded it out and changed the angles for 3 & 4. I printed it out and it feels much better and I'm pretty happy with it!  I'll post an image of that soon. I may need help with other art though so have reached out for some help to some people on these forums.

I've also setup a new Instagram account https://www.instagram.com/chadwyksarcade/

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:54:21 pm by chadwyk »

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 12:18:54 am »
The base is done!!! Aside from sanding with the rest of the cab....

Unfortunately, I have not got as much done as I had hoped during the long holiday weekend.  I got the braces all glued on the side panels for the face panels. Then I moved onto the base and I got most of it completed. 

Tonight I finally routed out the wheel slots.  Unfortunately I couldn't get them fully carved out by my router, because it couldn't reach the whole area.  So first I tried chiseling out the remaining wood which was not working too well, so I ended up drilling most out with a large bit and a spade bit.  It may be a bit ugly but at least the ugly bits are hidden by the wheels.  Not as clean as Chance's wheel slots but the wheels spin freely which is what is important.

Next up, cut the T-Molding slots and cutting the face panels and attaching them.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:51:03 pm by chadwyk »

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 04:11:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 11:53:28 am »
Nice start! You're getting along pretty well. Where did you get your leg levelers, and what size are they? I've discovered that the levellers most people are using for their cabs, are not the easiest thing to track down.

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2019, 03:34:41 pm »
Thanks! A lot of planning goes a long way.  I wish I had routed out those wheel slots before I assembled it, but live and learn!

The levelers are 4.5 inches tall.  I found them on ebay $4.59 + $7.50 shipping for the pair. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEG-LEVELER-HEAVY-DUTY-4-5-TALL-WITH-MOUNTING-PLATE/362350576966?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The wheels were purchased here:
http://www.arcadeshop.com/i/146/arcade-cabinet-3-wheel-assembly.htm

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2019, 06:21:48 pm »
I've been playing with photoshop a bit and doing mock ups of a CP.  I initially wanted the shape that Chance used from Jarrett, but after seeing many posts about why it is bad, I decided against it.  I used his file though, and rounded out the angles.  I also used the advice found in the Starcade project (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158565.0.html) and angled player 3 and 4 similarly to Maximus' build.  I printed it out and I think Player 3 and 4 fit in pretty comfortably. 

I'm still playing with the location for the spinner control and buttons. I feel like I should move them up a bit to avoid bumping any of Player 1 buttons during play, but I want to avoid hiding the face of the ghost as much as possible.

I think I am going to have to play with the color scheme and brightness. I printed it on my own color laser printer and everything was a lot darker than on screen.  I saw that Lucian045 has some tips for color profiles and monitor calibration on some of his posts that I'll need to take a look at.

Anyways, here is what I have so far.  This jpg isn't full sized - so that I could upload it at the 4mb file size limit.  Feedback?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 06:25:30 pm by chadwyk »

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: Chadwyk's Ghostbuster's Cabinet
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2019, 11:07:07 am »
Put the spinner where the mouth of the ghost would be?  You could always lose those 2 buttons completely then just use player 2's buttons for games (if you want to keep mouse functionality you can put the buttons pretty much anywhere).

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:22:05 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2019, 11:14:39 am »
You are giving track BALL a whole new meaning. Assuming ghosts have balls.

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2019, 12:50:25 pm »
I've been playing with photoshop a bit and doing mock ups of a CP.  I initially wanted the shape that Chance used from Jarrett, but after seeing many posts about why it is bad, I decided against it.  I used his file though, and rounded out the angles.

I've heard that criticism mentioned a few times, but don't know where that was posted. Do you have a thread link?

Thanks for the info on the leg levelers, I did end up getting some from Ebay and can't wait for them to arrive.

As for the Ghost art, I think it would work mostly as is. It's hard to put a figure on a control panel without parts of it being blocked by something. I would maybe try shrinking the ghost a tad in scale, to see if you can get his eyes lower then the Launch row of buttons and his hands a little higher than the overlay on top of them. Face and eyes is what humans tend to focus on.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2019, 12:51:57 pm »
I’d lose the ghost off the control panel and keep all the other elements. It would look fine with them and without the blocked ghost.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:30:56 am
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2019, 01:20:30 pm »
I’d lose the ghost off the control panel and keep all the other elements. It would look fine with them and without the blocked ghost.

I second this.  I assume you are going to putt he ghost logo on the side panels so no need for it on the CP.

IMO, control panel art should be minimal and not too busy.  Right now the ghost looks out of place.

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2019, 01:41:56 pm »
You are giving track BALL a whole new meaning. Assuming ghosts have balls.
:laugh2: I didn't even notice I did that!

Thanks for everyone's input so far.  I'll consider removing the ghost from the CP.  I have not done side art yet, but was only planning on having a small Ghostbusters logo where the "No ghost symbol" is the O in "Ghostbusters" and placing it along one of the top angled borders.  I'd was imagining a mural of some kind taking up most of the space on the sides, so that is why I wanted the ghost logo front and center on the CP.

I've heard that criticism mentioned a few times, but don't know where that was posted. Do you have a thread link?

Yeah, I've seen it several times in several threads as well, but the link in my previous post explains with illustrations the player angles and why Jarrett's design is too crowded. 
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158565.0.html

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2019, 01:46:44 pm »
Instead of muraling the sides, I think the no ghost circle logo in a nice big format would look great and have a nice visual impact. Less is more.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 02:52:10 am
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2019, 06:12:00 pm »
Instead of muraling the sides, I think the no ghost circle logo in a nice big format would look great and have a nice visual impact. Less is more.

I totally agree.

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2019, 10:33:01 am »
I like the banned ghost symbol on the side. Maybe with the name of the arcade box, either above or below.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2019, 09:48:14 pm »
I can say that for a number of years I have been thinking of doing a Ghostbusters themed cab. (Surprised?). One thing is I never wanted to do a black cab with just a no ghost logo.

One idea I have been mulling over had been making the entire cabinet reminiscent of the Ecto-1. Glossy White cabinet, Red t-Moulding, No ghost logo on the sides, maybe some tasteful chrome, Topped with a LED sign that scrolls text like "We're ready to believe you" and maybe a red spinning slot machine light on top if it isn't too much of a distraction.

Another thought, when I saw some people experimenting with plasma plates, I thought it would be really cool to get some art of a ghost being trapped printed on something somewhat see-through. My hope is it would give an moving illusion of a ghost caught in the electric field of a ghost trap.

Probably what I would lean on though is just really spending time for some unique art. I would probably have something made for me, but I have always been inspired by art of some of the art from early 80's machines. Arcade art of that era was all about an artists interpretation of the action going on in the game. So a picture of Bill Murray on the side would probably disappoint me. However Ghostbusters in action scrambling to fight a bizarre ghost just feels fun.  I always loved this piece from the early real Ghostbusters concept art. Action. Chaos. Quirkiness. Impending doom. Not just a showcase of movie characters. I would love to do something along these lines for a cabinet.

Hope that helps inspire you a bit on art ideas.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 09:49:59 pm by Vigo »

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2019, 09:25:23 pm »
If I were to do a Ghostbusters cab, it would be hard to top the artwork Zombie Yeti did for Stern.

I'd go simple if it were my own... just the no ghost logo without any writing on a black cab with maybe white T Mold. The title on marquee with maybe a little extra to make it pop, and the control panel would be either done up to look like the control panel was part of their equipment (think packs and traps for inspiration) or go opposite direction and just have a background scene like this of the firehouse:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/lego-dimensions/images/b/bd/LDlevel5.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150825143140

Kind of like TMNT in a way. Maybe add labels and stuff.

Simple and clean sides with just the logo gets the point across. It's a universal logo that's instantly recognized. Not too movie, not too cartoon based.

Then again, it's whatever floats your boat.

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2019, 01:03:27 pm »
Yeah, I did some mock ups, and because the side panels are so narrow, I don't think I am going to put the logo on the side.  It just doesn't get large enough, and then most of the side is blank.  I'm leaning more towards modeling the art style closer to the Real Ghostbusters.  There is quite a lot of awesome comics out there and there are several cover art images that would work nicely.  The challenge is to get them vectorized and still look good.  I have a while I think before I need to finalize the art though, so I'll come back to that.

I finally had some time this weekend to work on the cabinet again.  I routed out the t-modling slots on the sides and started to glue together enough of a structure that I could glue both sides onto the base.  So far I'm amazed how well I actually got the supports mirrored. I was envisioning those not matching up at all. Due to the awkwardness of gluing these first boards on its side with no one to help, I accidentally glued the tv mount board a little crooked, but that shouldn't matter too much as it is there more for support and it is hidden on the inside.  Everything else is square. Now to cut the rest of the boards and mount the doors.  Then on to the CP!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 01:05:45 pm by chadwyk »

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2019, 09:25:50 pm »
A complaint on my own ignorance. Next time I start a project, I need to pick out better wood. I had thought plywood was supposed to have a nice side and rough side. This wood must have been the cheapest of the cheap because both sides are pretty rough. I feel like I’m going to be using a lot of wood filler in gouges and lots of sandpaper on the rough spots from the mill. Oh well. Lesson learned! Hoping once sanded, primed and painted, then with the artwork it won’t be that noticeable.

Tonight I had a free hour and I cut the bottom front board and the drawer door. Still need to glue and fasten into place with hinges.

I really keep going back and forth on a coin door. It would be cool to have 4 slots but it’s such a hog on space especially if you have the coin boxes. I wouldn’t mind the same door Chance used but it’s sold out until September. I’d like this project to almost be done by then! I don’t want to glue the board in and cut the hole at a later date in case I really screw up with the jigsaw haha!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:02:18 pm by chadwyk »

Alejo I

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 04:44:16 pm
  • Trying something new
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2019, 07:58:10 am »
There are tons of different grades of ply. Check your local shop and always ask for furniture quality.

My current setup is laminated MDF because YOLO, but I've built some minor stuff with ply and it's good, albeit expensive.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:30:56 am
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2019, 03:56:07 pm »
Don't skimp on the coin door!  You will always be thinking about it - might as well get it right now.

That plywood looks like it is going to be very difficult to get smooth.  My guess is you will have to cover the entire thing with joint compound or something and sand it smooth otherwise the grain will show through.  Maybe whatever vinyl sideart you are thinking of will hide it?

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2019, 05:18:59 pm »
Don't skimp on the coin door!  You will always be thinking about it - might as well get it right now.

Yeah, I decided on getting the coin door and pulled the trigger on the order.  Although instead of getting the over under doors, I'm just getting the doors with the mechs.  I'll make my own coin bucket on the inside to save space.  The metal coin enclosure on the inside of the cabinet was what I was most worried about taking up the space.

I ended up ordering 2 of these from X-Arcade for $49.99 a piece.  Though shipping surprised me with a whopping $40 for the two.
https://shop.xgaming.com/collections/arcade-parts/products/double-entry-arcade-coin-door-with-coin-mech

Wyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 09:22:42 pm
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2019, 07:18:02 am »
I can say that for a number of years I have been thinking of doing a Ghostbusters themed cab. (Surprised?).

One idea I have been mulling over had been making the entire cabinet reminiscent of the Ecto-1. Glossy White cabinet, Red t-Moulding, No ghost logo on the sides, maybe some tasteful chrome, Topped with a LED sign that scrolls text like "We're ready to believe you" and maybe a red spinning slot machine light on top if it isn't too much of a distraction.

Another thought, when I saw some people experimenting with plasma plates, I thought it would be really cool to get some art of a ghost being trapped printed on something somewhat see-through. My hope is it would give an moving illusion of a ghost caught in the electric field of a ghost trap.

Probably what I would lean on though is just really spending time for some unique art. I would probably have something made for me, but I have always been inspired by art of some of the art from early 80's machines. Arcade art of that era was all about an artists interpretation of the action going on in the game. So a picture of Bill Murray on the side would probably disappoint me. However Ghostbusters in action scrambling to fight a bizarre ghost just feels fun.  I always loved this piece from the early real Ghostbusters concept art. Action. Chaos. Quirkiness. Impending doom. Not just a showcase of movie characters. I would love to do something along these lines for a cabinet.

Hope that helps inspire you a bit on art ideas.

Haha, you pretty much described a lot of my Ecto 1 themed New Ghostbusters 2 Nintendo build I started last year.   Like you said, I had to create my own art from scratch....as there just isn’t a lot of out there.  I have a feeling with the new movie coming out next year there’s going to be a lot of Ghostbusters Arcades being built.   It’s an awesome theme for sure!

I’m loving this build thread, great job so far!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 07:20:14 am by Wyo »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2019, 08:35:47 am »
 :cheers: Did you ever post that? I swear somebody had that idea fully fleshed out, and I was looking for evidence, but came up empty handed. New GB2 is an awesome game, BTW.

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2019, 09:34:35 am »
:cheers: Did you ever post that? I swear somebody had that idea fully fleshed out, and I was looking for evidence, but came up empty handed. New GB2 is an awesome game, BTW.

Thanks!  I didn’t do a build thread but I’ve been posting bits and pieces of it on Facebook and Instagram....the GB got shared quite a bit before I finished it....so not sure if it’s mine you saw.   Ive been kinda keeping it on the down low until August when I was planning on showing it. I did a lot of hand sculpted features on it...it’s been really fun...and challenging.   Craftymech (long time member here) is currently helping me program the roof rack topper I fabricated.  I’ll post a couple pics when it’s 100% done.

It’s just such an awesome theme, the colors and graphics are really fun.  I didn’t 100% theme mine towards New Ghostbusters 2....I used green slime instead of pink, and used the marshmallow man in my art instead of vigo or the Statue of Liberty.....because I really wanted a cab with the marshmallow man on it. Haha.

Can’t wait to see yours finished!  I’m currently Ghostbusters obsessed so I’m loving this project.  I’d definitely consider adding some sort of light bar, or topper on there.  And the containment unit coin door as well.  It really puts it over the top.   :cheers:

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2019, 11:07:52 am »
Haha, you pretty much described a lot of my Ecto 1 themed New Ghostbusters 2 Nintendo build I started last year.   Like you said, I had to create my own art from scratch....as there just isn’t a lot of out there.  I have a feeling with the new movie coming out next year there’s going to be a lot of Ghostbusters Arcades being built.   It’s an awesome theme for sure!

I’m loving this build thread, great job so far!

In doing some research, I did find images that look like they were yours? It was all white, and had all the lights and stuff from the top of the car on the top of the cab.  It looks like you pulled all the images from the thread though recently.   https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?p=3980981.

But I found some of it on Google Images.  I initially posted them here to show, but I just realized it was your work and you are planning on posting again soon, so I don't want to spoil it for you!

I like your containment unit coin door and was kind of what I was talking about in a previous thread that would be neat to emulate. Though unsure if I'd model it after the movie version (square) or the cartoon version (round). Also not sure how the coin doors I just ordered will fit into the design.  But I think it would be cool to have an actual hole for the containment unit, that you could slide a trap into.  Then when you pull the containment unit handle, it would dump the coins that had been collecting inside the machine, into the trap.

For a topper, I was playing with the idea of 3d printing a translucent Slimer coming out of the top of the cab, and putting some sort of LED in him to make him glow. Just ordered some plastic filament which should be arriving today to test that out  :applaud:

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone! Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this would be a cool concept! :cheers: I still have a long way to go, but I can't wait till it is done!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 12:22:10 pm by chadwyk »

Wyo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2019, 12:51:03 pm »
Right on man, I appreciate that!  Yeah, that’s mine.  I started that thread and then I realized I should probably dial it back until it’s done.  I just finished designing my artwork this week...so it’s about ready to go off to the printer. 

I think that your containment until coin door idea is awesome...I didn’t go that far...it’s just a matter of how much time and money you want to spend.  Believe it or not, I have over $1000 just in the topper parts and such for my cab..and about a hundred or so hours of hand fabrication....so the sky is the limit...and I’m far from rich...I just really wanted a Ecto1 cab. Haha

Look forward to seeing it come along!