Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Game of ---smurfing--- Thrones!  (Read 22432 times)

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: Game of ---smurfing--- Thrones!
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2019, 01:39:39 pm »
That being said Hound vs Mountain was pretty good.  I particularly liked when the Mountain smashed that creepy ex miester's head in.  It leaved a lot of un-answered questions though, namely wtf did they do to the mountain to make him indestructible.   What few Arya x Hound scenes we got were pure gold.

That might be my favorite scene from this season.  The Cleganebowl lived up to the hype for sure!

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2019, 02:14:35 pm »
Except, is the Mountain done?  I mean, the guy took a blade through the brain and it didn't even phase him.  How is a tower fall into fire going to stop him? The guy is a Terminator.

I mostly agree with Howard's points (except about Dany, they really only used 2 episodes and a handful of hints to question the Mad Queen storyline). But I'm really disappointed in they way they closed off Jaime and Cerci's story.   Jaime should have had either a good ending, or a history repeating itself ending where he gains the additional title of Queen Slayer.  He should have been the one to off Cerci, in some execution style offing, not death by circumstance.  Cerci has been the ultimate baddie of the show, and her death was not satisfying at all for the wrongs she has done.

Arya traveling all that way with the pretense that she accepted her fate and was going to kill Cerci and face a noble death trying, gets completely unraveled after the Hound spouts off a couple lines?  I didn't buy it. They had Arya set as one of the ultimate badasses of the show, then by the end they just let her persona change out of a couple episodes. 

Jon is going to off Dany, in some dramatic sorrow scene where he has to make a choice between love for her, or for the good of the realm.

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2019, 02:22:23 pm »
Except, is the Mountain done?  I mean, the guy took a blade through the brain and it didn't even phase him.  How is a tower fall into fire going to stop him? The guy is a Terminator.

I mostly agree with Howard's points (except about Dany, they really only used 2 episodes and a handful of hints to question the Mad Queen storyline). But I'm really disappointed in they way they closed off Jaime and Cerci's story.   Jaime should have had either a good ending, or a history repeating itself ending where he gains the additional title of Queen Slayer.  He should have been the one to off Cerci, in some execution style offing, not death by circumstance.  Cerci has been the ultimate baddie of the show, and her death was not satisfying at all for the wrongs she has done.

Arya traveling all that way with the pretense that she accepted her fate and was going to kill Cerci and face a noble death trying, gets completely unraveled after the Hound spouts off a couple lines?  I didn't buy it. They had Arya set as one of the ultimate badasses of the show, then by the end they just let her persona change out of a couple episodes. 

Jon is going to off Dany, in some dramatic sorrow scene where he has to make a choice between love for her, or for the good of the realm.

Totally agree with all these points.

The only other thing I could possibly see is Arya stealth killing Dany for all the innocents shes killed.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2019, 03:16:56 pm »
There were multiple times throughout the show where she's been shown to be ruthless and unreasonable... you know, the exact opposite of John Snow, which was kind of the point.  Ruthless and unreasonable are big warning signs in regards to how she'll rule. 

Arya wasn't supposed to die.  The only reason she followed the Hound was because she saw him going off alone and knew what he was about to do.  Seemed pretty obvious to me.  She'll have a part to play in the final episode but her arc was all about letting go of her stupid hit list so it'd make zero sense for her to die over Cerci when the battle was already won.  I think you guys might have confused the fact that she doesn't fall into typical gender norms with her desire to keep being an assassin.  She's not a "lady"... that's why she refused the Barthian boy, not because of her vendetta. 

Like I said, the Arya x Hound scenes were pure gold...there's really no debating that. 

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2019, 03:28:50 pm »
Arya wasn't supposed to die.  The only reason she followed the Hound was because she saw him going off alone and knew what he was about to do.  Seemed pretty obvious to me.  She'll have a part to play in the final episode but her arc was all about letting go of her stupid hit list so it'd make zero sense for her to die over Cerci when the battle was already won.  I think you guys might have confused the fact that she doesn't fall into typical gender norms with her desire to keep being an assassin.  She's not a "lady"... that's why she refused the Barthian boy, not because of her vendetta. 

That is not at all how I saw it but it is the best explanation I've seen for Arya's turning back. 

Like I said, the Arya x Hound scenes were pure gold...there's really no debating that.

100% agree.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2019, 03:30:54 pm »
Arya x Hound scenes were "ok". I wouldn't put them in that kind of extremist column.

Like I said, I *mostly* agree with Howard's points.  Mostly.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2019, 04:45:21 pm »
I think you guys might have confused the fact that she doesn't fall into typical gender norms with her desire to keep being an assassin.

Just image about a million of these - >  ::)

The Hound and Arya scenes are typically the best because they are 2 of the better fleshed out characters and honestly 2 of the best actors on the show. The same reason all the Sansa scenes are so bad, Sophie Turner is just not a very good actor and the Sansa character is thinner than single ply TP .  Jamie's *very very very long* redemption arc was just tossed aside for no reason last episode, the Auron fight was clinically stupid and a waste of both characters.   The dragon surgically destroying all the ballistas this time made the lack of sinking the iron fleet so much dumber last episode.  Tyrion trying to save innocents also made no sense, as no innocents were in danger until *after* they rang the bells.  Cleganebowl was kind of meh, I mean at least we actually got the see the fight this time. The ending felt like a cop out. That weird dude that was the hand of the queen eating it was satisfying though.

Arya getting KO'ed TWICE then finding a random horse was a giant waste of time.  I think they forgot to CGI in the golden company unless they were just that one corps in front of the gate. If so Cersei didnt get her money's worth. Iron Fleet was equally useless, no sea combat so blocking blackwater bay was unneeded and all they did was get toasted by dragon fire after having storm trooper aim for 45 seconds. Guess Sansa was wrong, after you fight a grueling battle against the undead you just pack up and march south for weeks and then fight another battle ; no rest needed.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2019, 05:03:05 pm »
I thought the Hound and Arya story wrapped up just fine.  Arya was on a mission to kill the queen but the Hound really talked some sense into her and you could tell they cared for each other by the end.  Arya turning back said a lot about her character in that she isn't just a killing machine and she can make smart decisions over completing her list.  She recognized in the moment that she didn't want to end up like the Hound with revenge consuming her.

The fight with his brother was fine too.  I do wish he would have chopped the Mountain's head off or something but what we got was OK.  The Hound didn't deserve to go out like that.

Don't get me started on Dany, Jamie and Cersei - 3 characters completely turning their backs on all the character development over the entire show.  Jamie had a redemption arc... nope.  He's an a-hole to the core and people don't change except they do change over the course of many years but then go back to being an a-hole at the drop of a hat.  Dany had a Mad Queen arc... yup.  So that was obvious except the way they got there was completely unbelievable.  She was built up over 7 seasons and undone in 3 episodes.  Cersei had the prophecy arc... nope.  I guess that was just a bunch of nonsense.  Really disappointing end for these characters.  Also, Jon is a moron.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2019, 05:40:21 pm »
It's a totally rushed ending. They spent seasons establishing a pacing, only to run through the last season and a half.

What I do still enjoy though is having no idea wtf is going to happen. I love the idea of watching a story unfold, opposed to knowing how it'll end and just not knowing how it'll get there. When I watch a X-men movie, I already know how it's going to end for the most part, I just don't know the filler details. With GoT, I'm seriously just hanging on for the ride and reflecting after it's over.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2019, 08:03:51 pm »
It's a totally rushed ending. They spent seasons establishing a pacing, only to run through the last season and a half.

What I do still enjoy though is having no idea wtf is going to happen. I love the idea of watching a story unfold, opposed to knowing how it'll end and just not knowing how it'll get there. When I watch a X-men movie, I already know how it's going to end for the most part, I just don't know the filler details. With GoT, I'm seriously just hanging on for the ride and reflecting after it's over.

Yeah it was fun not having a single idea what was going to happen last night. Very rare nowadays.  The last couple of seasons certainly are not perfect but I'm enjoying watching anyway. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2019, 09:24:01 pm »

Arya getting KO'ed TWICE then finding a random horse was a giant waste of time.

There was an actual point to the horse.  The first time Clegane looked out for her when she was younger, she rode a white horse.  When they both ride to King's Landing to kill, they both ride black horses.  Her discovering and leaving on a white horse represents her backing away from darkness.

Her running around freaking out was annoying, just like it was when they fought the wites.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2019, 04:41:38 am »
I think having her run around a bit was a bit of a indication that she is still a scared little girl at the heart of it even though she is a total bad ass.

She knows her limits and knows that she would not fair well in a open conflict.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2019, 10:42:31 pm »
The point of the "running around"  was for the audience to understand just how horrible the attack was and for the audience to understand that Arya witnessed it first hand.  Also don't forget that in revelations the pale horse is rode by death. 

I think Danny's last second heel turn was a huge mistake, as was the end of Jamie's arc, but there were some things to like in the episode, namely anything involving Arya Tyrion and the Hound.  I also wonder if the little horse the burnt girl was holding is going to get back to Sir Davos... he's not going to be happy. 

CCM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2020, 10:08:27 am
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2019, 09:35:20 am »
I liked the episode, Dany's 'Mad Queen' turn wasn't a surprise at all, everyone should have seen it coming.   She said it herself that she doesn't have any love in Westeros, she only has fear.   She is only a benevolent queen to those who worship and adore her.  As soon as you 'betray' her, you are toast.   All of her advisors that tempered her anger and rash behavior are dead or in her eyes have betrayed her, she sees everyone in the North fawning over Jon Snow, then she finds out the Jon could be a rival for the throne.   To top it all off Jon rebuffs her because he doesn't want to bang his Aunt.   All of this combined with generations of inbreeding and a history of madness is a recipe for a mad queen.

Now, all of that being said, it was a little rushed.  I saw this link on another board and I think it perfectly explains the difference in the writing and pacing of the show over the last few seasons:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1125856091261136896.html

As far as Jamie's arc, I was disappointed that he ran back to Cercei, but it does make sense when you go back and see the comments that both characters have made over the series.  They both made comments that they would die together and that their love started in the womb.   I also think that Jamie, for all of the terrible things he did in his life, doesn't think he deserves someone like Brienne.  And finally I think he is also motivated to try and save their unborn child.   Last season Cercei told Jamie that she would tell everyone the truth that he was the father because they had nothing left to fear.  I think this meant a lot to Jamie that he could actually claim the child and raise it on his own.

I agree that anything with Arya and the Hound is pure gold.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
---smurfing--- Game of Thrones!
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2019, 10:49:10 am »
If I complain about the pacing of the show, the waste of extra run time, and the way too quick change of characters its not because I dont understand symbolism, or call backs, etc. I got the ham-fisted representation of the white horse , she doesnt wanna be bent on revenge like the hound. But at the same time she wants to be an assassin and not a lady. sure whatever.  Now explain to me why Sansa was on the show at all.

The pacing of everything is done terribly, armys and people are teleporting all over the map. Characters are making convenient plot choices, entire character arcs are ignored,  and they just killed off the best character in the show for a second time. I went from giddy with anticipation of the final season to "lets get this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- over with"  faster than Jamie went from Help defend the north from the dead to die in a tunnel with my fuckbuddy sister.

Here is a pretty amazing recap:

I dont agree with 100% of it, but for the most part its spot on. Also, I love Ozzyman and pretend its Ond doing the videos :)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2019, 11:05:15 am »
I agree with Malenko 1000 percent.

I would add that I love fantasy like LOTR and I played D & D in high school. That being said, Game of Thrones would have been a better show without all of the fantasy elements. The "Game of Thrones" itself was the most interesting part for me.

CCM

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2019, 11:20:57 am »
I don't have a problem with fast-travel of the armys... I just assumed that several week or even months passed in between episodes.  I don't expect them to have an hour episode of an army slogging thru the middle of nowhere Westeros or an episode dedicated to watching them build the scorpions at Kings Landing.

The issue I do have is that Cercei should have been showing a baby bump by now... or hell.. the baby should have already been born for all of the time that should have passed from season 7 to 8.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2019, 11:48:11 am »
Every episode this season, I say, "That was awesome. How can anyone ---smurfette--- about that?"

Then I go online and....I just don't get it. I've had no complaints this season, nor do any of the people at our watch parties every Sunday night.

Oh well, only one more to go...

CCM

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2019, 12:56:25 pm »
Every episode this season, I say, "That was awesome. How can anyone ---smurfette--- about that?"

Then I go online and....I just don't get it. I've had no complaints this season, nor do any of the people at our watch parties every Sunday night.

Same here.  Other than a few nit-picky things, I have thoroughly enjoyed this season, as has my wife and our friends that watch the show.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2019, 01:30:25 pm »

Same here.  Other than a few nit-picky things, I have thoroughly enjoyed this season, as has my wife and our friends that watch the show.

I have also really enjoyed it overall (despite not loving everything 100% like in past seasons) and any complaining I do is because I've thought about something for too long.  As soon as an episode ends everyone in the room is always smiling.  These episodes have been EPIC on my 130" screen!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2019, 01:33:20 pm »
Well they have been crap on my 149" screen. My screen is bigger. Therefore I am correct. ;D

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2019, 02:14:33 pm »
Yes, but are you listening to 50,000 watts???
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2019, 02:18:15 pm »
1.21 gigawatts

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2019, 02:38:25 pm »
Well they have been crap on my 149" screen. My screen is bigger. Therefore I am correct. ;D

Can't argue with that logic!  ;D

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2019, 02:43:49 pm »
Unless you’re running 50,000 W through cables made from lunar metal fragments brought back by Apollo 59, you’re not doing it right dude

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2019, 02:47:42 pm »
I liked the episode, Dany's 'Mad Queen' turn wasn't a surprise at all, everyone should have seen it coming.   She said it herself that she doesn't have any love in Westeros, she only has fear.   She is only a benevolent queen to those who worship and adore her.  As soon as you 'betray' her, you are toast.   All of her advisors that tempered her anger and rash behavior are dead or in her eyes have betrayed her, she sees everyone in the North fawning over Jon Snow, then she finds out the Jon could be a rival for the throne.   To top it all off Jon rebuffs her because he doesn't want to bang his Aunt.   All of this combined with generations of inbreeding and a history of madness is a recipe for a mad queen.

Exactly.  I guess everyone forgot all those dudes she crucified and burnt alive back in Essos without even blinking an eye?  Sure they were "bad guys" but the point is she's ALWAYS threw the baby out with the bathwater.  Like I said, ruthlessness in a ruler is a very bad sign.  Also remember that after she "freed" all those people that she supposedly cared about (most of them are in her army, so they aren't exactly free) she just abandoned them to go conquer Westeros.  That being said, they did so much foreshadowing it was really lame that they followed through with it.  I assumed, like everyone else, that it was a red herring to generate tension in an otherwise tensionless final battle.  Now that they've up and done it, there's no way they are going to be able to wrap things up in a satisfying manner with the time left.  If they wanted to do the heel-turn then fine, do that in episode 2.... you don't wait until the pen-ultimate episode. 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2019, 02:48:08 pm »
My cables are polished with unicorn jizz. Harvested by hand.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Game of ---smurfing--- Thrones!
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2019, 02:54:04 pm »
My cables are polished with unicorn jizz. Harvested by hand.

Oh yeah? Are the knobs on your digital receiver made out of polished driftwood from upper Bulgaria? If not, GTFO!

http://hoaxes.org/weblog/comments/wooden_knobs_for_your_stereo
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 02:56:31 pm by yotsuya »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2019, 02:57:53 pm »
You certainly know your knob polishing.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2019, 03:09:03 pm »

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 06:00:54 pm
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2019, 03:31:47 pm »
SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN SE08EP05:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:33:43 pm by dgame »

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2019, 06:01:12 pm »
Apparently hundreds of thousands....or at least a hundred-thousand.....are clammoring on Tweeter for a re-write of the last scene. Despite it having a record-breaking 18M audience.....only?....in this day of billions of people, with all the hubbub everywhere - and only eighteen million? I'm....perplexed.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2019, 10:31:48 pm »
In this day of streaming services, the internet and hundreds of sat and cable channels why are you perplexed? 

18 million is a massive audience, especially for a premium channel.  To put it in perspective, that's the average ratings of the big bang theory, a show that everyone gets for free. 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2019, 09:51:45 am »
On 'Last Week Tonight' John Oliver was making fun of HBO and how screwed they are after this weekend when GoT goes away.  It was pretty funny (because his show is also on HBO).

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2019, 03:58:51 pm »
18 million is a massive audience, especially for a premium channel. 

Its 18 million views, that doesnt account for say, 5 people watching the same TV.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2019, 09:26:20 pm »
Right, but regardless that's damn good ratings for premium cable. 

Well t-minus 2 days before we see how this train wreck of a season ends.  It's interesting that almost everyone takes issue with the season yet the opinions on what was done poorly and what was done well are all over the place depending upon the person.  Who knows, this last episode might be so great that it silences all the complaints.  Mind you I doubt it, but it could happen.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2019, 09:43:53 pm »

Well t-minus 2 days before we see how this train wreck of a season ends.  It's interesting that almost everyone takes issue with the season yet the opinions on what was done poorly and what was done well are all over the place depending upon the person.  Who knows, this last episode might be so great that it silences all the complaints.  Mind you I doubt it, but it could happen.

It's going to be tough.  80 minutes so probably 40 dealing with Dany and 40 as an epilogue?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2019, 10:37:33 pm »

Even when Im on your side it feels like your still against me.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2019, 10:47:34 pm »
Huh?  I was agreeing with you.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2019, 10:45:01 pm »
You know what... not a bad ending.  It certainly had a huge plot issue, namely that Danny's forces wouldn't have negotiated peacefully, but if you can ignore that it sort of had a poetic justice. 

Most of the good guys wanted something at the beginning of the show and they all got it.  Arya wanted to be free, and she is.  Sansa wanted to rule, and now she does.  Tyrion wanted to govern and he does, but he got a lot of people killed, so as punishment he will continue to run things and get absolutely no credit for it.  John wanted a family that accepted him and he got two, but he also got a lot of people killed, so he doesn't get to be with the one he loves.  Danny, before she went nuts, wanted to break the wheel... she did, at the cost of her sanity and eventually her life.  Brienne wanted to be a knight, she is.  Bran wanted to fly and now he can worg into birds and dragons or whatever he wants.  Hell Sam wanted to be a meister and now he's the head meister.  Bronn wanted money and power, he got it.  The wildings are free. Even the wolf got some pettings. 

Bran on the throne is dumb, but it does kind of make sense... he's completely inoffensive so nobody will oppose his rule and he doesn't care about anything so he won't be corrupted by power.  He's just a figurehead anyway... it's apparent by those last scenes that Tyrion is the real king.  Yeah and I called it.  John "went away" lord of the rings style.

Considering how screwed up the last episode was they made a remarkable recovery.  Now let's see how many chime in to complain.  ;)