Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Game of ---smurfing--- Thrones!  (Read 22665 times)

Gilrock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
Re: Game of ---smurfing--- Thrones!
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2019, 09:49:18 am »
So I paid for a month of HBO on Amazon and binge watched the whole Season 8 yesterday.  Of course things can always be different but I enjoyed it.  I think the most fitting ending in the spirit of that show would have been if the dragon went postal and killed the entire cast but there's really no way it doesn't toast Jon.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2019, 10:12:24 am »
You know what... not a bad ending.  It certainly had a huge plot issue, namely that Danny's forces wouldn't have negotiated peacefully, but if you can ignore that it sort of had a poetic justice. 

Most of the good guys wanted something at the beginning of the show and they all got it.  Arya wanted to be free, and she is.  Sansa wanted to rule, and now she does.  Tyrion wanted to govern and he does, but he got a lot of people killed, so as punishment he will continue to run things and get absolutely no credit for it.  John wanted a family that accepted him and he got two, but he also got a lot of people killed, so he doesn't get to be with the one he loves.  Danny, before she went nuts, wanted to break the wheel... she did, at the cost of her sanity and eventually her life.  Brienne wanted to be a knight, she is.  Bran wanted to fly and now he can worg into birds and dragons or whatever he wants.  Hell Sam wanted to be a meister and now he's the head meister.  Bronn wanted money and power, he got it.  The wildings are free. Even the wolf got some pettings. 

Bran on the throne is dumb, but it does kind of make sense... he's completely inoffensive so nobody will oppose his rule and he doesn't care about anything so he won't be corrupted by power.  He's just a figurehead anyway... it's apparent by those last scenes that Tyrion is the real king.  Yeah and I called it.  John "went away" lord of the rings style.

Considering how screwed up the last episode was they made a remarkable recovery.  Now let's see how many chime in to complain.  ;)

That's a good way to look at it.  The one thing that bothered me (well, not one thing) was that Jon's lineage didn't matter at all.  It was such a central theme to the show but there was no payoff.  I wanted to see the dragon try to burn him in front of the unsullied/dothraki armies after he killed Dany but have Jon walk out of the flames because of his Targaryan bloodline.  Then they would want him to be king but he declines because it is what is best for the realm.  Everything else could have played out the same.  That's still not perfect but at least there is some closure with his arc.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:53:10 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2019, 10:26:17 am »
I wanted to see an asteroid crash into the planet and annihilate every living thing.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2019, 05:22:58 pm »
I wanted to see an asteroid crash into the planet and annihilate every living thing.

The size of the world in GoT precludes that.

@Howard: I was being flippant. I'm pretty tired of fiction, and stay away from it.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2019, 09:45:12 pm »
So I paid for a month of HBO on Amazon and binge watched the whole Season 8 yesterday.  Of course things can always be different but I enjoyed it.  I think the most fitting ending in the spirit of that show would have been if the dragon went postal and killed the entire cast but there's really no way it doesn't toast Jon.

I believe the dragons were magically bred not to hurt a targaryen.
Jon is a targaryen.
So instead it slagged the throne so he couldn't have it (dragon logic).

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2019, 09:52:40 pm »
I think you guys might have confused the fact that she doesn't fall into typical gender norms with her desire to keep being an assassin.

Just image about a million of these - >  ::)

The Hound and Arya scenes are typically the best because they are 2 of the better fleshed out characters and honestly 2 of the best actors on the show. The same reason all the Sansa scenes are so bad, Sophie Turner is just not a very good actor and the Sansa character is thinner than single ply TP .  Jamie's *very very very long* redemption arc was just tossed aside for no reason last episode, the Auron fight was clinically stupid and a waste of both characters.   The dragon surgically destroying all the ballistas this time made the lack of sinking the iron fleet so much dumber last episode.  Tyrion trying to save innocents also made no sense, as no innocents were in danger until *after* they rang the bells.  Cleganebowl was kind of meh, I mean at least we actually got the see the fight this time. The ending felt like a cop out. That weird dude that was the hand of the queen eating it was satisfying though.

Arya getting KO'ed TWICE then finding a random horse was a giant waste of time.  I think they forgot to CGI in the golden company unless they were just that one corps in front of the gate. If so Cersei didnt get her money's worth. Iron Fleet was equally useless, no sea combat so blocking blackwater bay was unneeded and all they did was get toasted by dragon fire after having storm trooper aim for 45 seconds. Guess Sansa was wrong, after you fight a grueling battle against the undead you just pack up and march south for weeks and then fight another battle ; no rest needed.

I was annoyed the dragon didn't just fly around the island and attack the flank of the iron fleet.
the ships had the ballista's on the front, they would of had to drop sails to shoot aft? I don't know i'm not a sailor. :)
I guess they were in shock over another dragon biting it and not thinking?

This season wasn;t as good as last.
I think they tried to cram too much into a season.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2019, 09:55:02 pm »
It's a totally rushed ending. They spent seasons establishing a pacing, only to run through the last season and a half.

What I do still enjoy though is having no idea wtf is going to happen. I love the idea of watching a story unfold, opposed to knowing how it'll end and just not knowing how it'll get there. When I watch a X-men movie, I already know how it's going to end for the most part, I just don't know the filler details. With GoT, I'm seriously just hanging on for the ride and reflecting after it's over.

Yeah it was fun not having a single idea what was going to happen last night. Very rare nowadays.  The last couple of seasons certainly are not perfect but I'm enjoying watching anyway.

someone was on the ball though, Ashley furniture (don't know if they are national or regional) had a thruway billboard that said "time for a new chair?" and in the background was a blurred image of A throne made of swords.
I lol'd while driving.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2019, 10:41:50 pm »

Jon is a targaryen.

Well it's one of two things I think.  Either he saw a sword stuck in her and thought "that things made of swords" so he melted it, or those dragons are a heck of a lot smarter than we thought and he understood why John did it.  Which is ok in a fantasy show but if so why did he go along with the massacre?

Just ignore it, it's supposed to make you all sad and crap and you aren't supposed to think about it too much.  Which is why I immediately thought about it while watching, but the overall ending outshined the plot issues imho. 

I probably need to give a shout out for the comic relief in the episode.... When that idiot cousin stood up again, they told him to sit down and he banged his sword on the pole I lost my ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  Their reaction to Sam's "shouldn't everyone get to decide" was pretty good as well. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2019, 10:54:40 pm »
You know what... not a bad ending.  It certainly had a huge plot issue, namely that Danny's forces wouldn't have negotiated peacefully, but if you can ignore that it sort of had a poetic justice. 

Most of the good guys wanted something at the beginning of the show and they all got it.  Arya wanted to be free, and she is.  Sansa wanted to rule, and now she does.  Tyrion wanted to govern and he does, but he got a lot of people killed, so as punishment he will continue to run things and get absolutely no credit for it.  John wanted a family that accepted him and he got two, but he also got a lot of people killed, so he doesn't get to be with the one he loves.  Danny, before she went nuts, wanted to break the wheel... she did, at the cost of her sanity and eventually her life.  Brienne wanted to be a knight, she is.  Bran wanted to fly and now he can worg into birds and dragons or whatever he wants.  Hell Sam wanted to be a meister and now he's the head meister.  Bronn wanted money and power, he got it.  The wildings are free. Even the wolf got some pettings. 

Bran on the throne is dumb, but it does kind of make sense... he's completely inoffensive so nobody will oppose his rule and he doesn't care about anything so he won't be corrupted by power.  He's just a figurehead anyway... it's apparent by those last scenes that Tyrion is the real king.  Yeah and I called it.  John "went away" lord of the rings style.

Considering how screwed up the last episode was they made a remarkable recovery.  Now let's see how many chime in to complain.  ;)

That's a good way to look at it.  The one thing that bothered me (well, not one thing) was that Jon's lineage didn't matter at all.  It was such a central theme to the show but there was no payoff.  I wanted to see the dragon try to burn him in front of the unsullied/dothraki armies after he killed Dany but have Jon walk out of the flames because of his Targaryan bloodline.  Then they would want him to be king but he declines because it is what is best for the realm.  Everything else could have played out the same.  That's still not perfect but at least there is some closure with his arc.

Yeah there's a lot of things I think should have been done differently, but I think it was the problem of George RR Martin not finishing the damn books, so they had all these complicated plot threads to work with, but no direction and let's face it, compared to authors tv show runners are typically pretty dumb....I never expected them to give the "true" ending.  There is also the argument that his lineage ultimately didn't matter because all this time he's been trying to make his own path instead of succumbing to fate or destiny.  I don't know if I buy that one or not.

You know if GRRM would hurry up and finish his damn books they could potentially re-shoot the last two seasons.  It's unheard of in Hollywood, but it happens all the time in anime.  The best example I can think of is full metal alchemist.  The manga didn't finish before the anime did, so they just made up the last season.  When the manga did finish they just did a brand new series with the first season basically being a recap of the original series up until the made up parts and then they did the true ending.    I don't know if that's a good example though because imho the original series ended better than the second one.  It took two movies to actually finish that first ending, but still....

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2019, 11:58:51 pm »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2019, 06:04:47 pm »
I didnt hate the ending, knew Jon wouldnt be King because he died in the books and stayed dead and I doubt GRRM would be happy with that different of an ending.

The whole season felt rushed and full of holes. For example, Greyworm is in the middle of executing King's Landing soldiers, and Jon starts walking to the Red Keep......... where he eventually gets up the steps and meets Greyworm.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2019, 06:06:30 pm »
Euron sold his transporter technology before he died.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2019, 06:59:20 pm »

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2019, 07:01:00 pm »
That's pretty accurate, but they should have reversed it and the last season could have been a steaming pile of horse ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2019, 08:49:49 pm »

Jon is a targaryen.

Well it's one of two things I think.  Either he saw a sword stuck in her and thought "that things made of swords" so he melted it, or those dragons are a heck of a lot smarter than we thought and he understood why John did it.  Which is ok in a fantasy show but if so why did he go along with the massacre?

Just ignore it, it's supposed to make you all sad and crap and you aren't supposed to think about it too much.  Which is why I immediately thought about it while watching, but the overall ending outshined the plot issues imho. 

I probably need to give a shout out for the comic relief in the episode.... When that idiot cousin stood up again, they told him to sit down and he banged his sword on the pole I lost my ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  Their reaction to Sam's "shouldn't everyone get to decide" was pretty good as well.

it was kinda funny.
the way rich people who paid for a single ticket at hospice that you and 4 friends had to share laugh at the lame comedian.

I think they just needed to get rid of the dragon somehow.
again, they could of easily milked another season and made better episodes.

but as a friend pointed out they made the last season suck so people wouldn't be too sad it ended. :)

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2019, 08:52:01 pm »

Grew Worm got a little bit of that Peter Quill chin last few episodes.
not that i have any room to talk.
just saying, he was ripped in earlier seasons.