Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Game of ---smurfing--- Thrones!  (Read 22429 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Game of ---smurfing--- Thrones!
« on: April 28, 2019, 10:40:25 pm »
I don't talk about this show because it isn't nearly as fun to talk about a show that's consistently good and on point, but damn.  I think Lord of the Rings has officially been de-throned as having the best cinematic battles ever filmed.  I don't talk about it because of spoilers, but everyone needs to watch this.  I even think people that gave the show a pass should watch all of those previous seasons just so they can watch this episode. 

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
Re: Game of ---smurfing--- Thrones!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 10:51:09 pm »
So, no problem with the overt dark scenes, shakey can, and general hard to tell wtf was going on?

I liked it, but a few times it pulled a little too much battlestar galactica and saving private ryan.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 11:08:12 pm »
At first I was confused until about 15 min in when it was made obvious that it was an artistic decision.  After that I sit back, relaxed and enjoyed the ride knowing that anything important I'll be able to see and anything confusing is supposed to be confusing.  Expendable characters, even expendable main characters were killed and the ones that should stay alive did.  The outcome was perfect from a narrative standpoint.

I'm just unsure what they are going to do with the remaining three episodes.  The "final war" is going to be a letdown... nobody frikkin cares about Cersi anymore.

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:09:00 am
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 11:49:23 pm »

Now, with that said, there is actually a good reason why. Back in it's heyday, I binge-watched every episode of Breaking Bad up to the start of the 5th season in just a couple of weeks. Then, I had to wait each damn week for a new episode to drop. I hated it. So, on shows with such a huge following such as GoT, I typically wait until the end (or close to it) then I will start it up. Just finished Cobra Kai season 2 this afternoon, so I imagine GoT will be making it's way to the front real soon.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 08:11:58 am by SlammedNiss »
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 12:10:21 am »
I was at a conference today, they were going to do a showing of the latest episode so long as no one was offended. The woman standing next to me loudly declared "I AM OFFENDED!" but they showed it anyway.   :lol 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 06:52:04 am »
I felt like I was watching  a cam ripped torrent, even though I was watching the HBO broadcast in HD.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

JMB

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2023, 07:29:22 pm
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 08:18:22 am »
So, no problem with the overt dark scenes, shakey can, and general hard to tell wtf was going on?

This describes this episode perfectly. It was so dark it was very hard to tell what was going on half the time. I enjoyed it but it seemed a little anti-climatic after building this moment up since season 1

schmerzkaufen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 08:48:11 am »
Heven't watched ep3 yet, saving it for tonight.

Still, damn, GoT is like the One Piece of fantasy books/shows, the author's long forgot what story he wanted to tell, but the franchise's selling so they had to maintain production no matter what.  ;D
I mean the book was a page-turner until Martin lost inspiration and couldn't write anymore. Similarily the show went boring and procedural-in disguise, or generic if you want, with it's predictable poorly patched-up plot and planted visualshock moments to keep the audience from yawning.
They should have hired Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran (24) instead...

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 09:01:25 am »
The show needs more tiddies. Despite all the hype, the nudity was borderline tasteful in the couple of episodes I've seen.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 02:55:32 pm »
Ugh, i was very disappointed with this episode. The battles were so boring, hard to see, and in some cases ambiguous on who died or not.

Seriously, who the hell let them get away with that episode?

Spoilers:

Absolutely one of the worst bits of cinematography and editing I’ve seen outside of a knockoff of a Michael Bay film.

Impossible to follow anything because of how dark it was. No sense of where characters were in relation to each other.

But the greatest sin of all, it was boring. Even in a huge battle, narrative structure is essential. From the moment the Dolthraki charge failed (how boneheaded that was tactically?  The Two Towers did horsemen so much better, using them as a flank, at the moment of loss) the same note was played throughout the entire show. There was no rising and falling action, no narrative, and about what, three pages of dialogue?

Lots of stupid drawn-out slo-mo scenes...

Also, way to cheat the audience on Sansa actually doing something except waxing on about how the bravest thing "is to do nothing". Well, she did ---fudgesicle----all that episode. How did we not have her facing down the headless zombie corpse of her father with the dragon glass dagger Aria gave her? Totally missed opportunity for Sansa to be more likable, compared to as of late being a stone of a character with no depth that she's turned out to be.

And Aria was ridiculously inconsistent throughout.  First she's at her proper assassin form, kicking ass, taking zombie names. Pretty much fighting like Neo from the Matrix, then halfway through the episode she's cowering around the castle, in a lite-caloric stealth scene that was both cliche and didn't connect to anything she trained for.  Oh the old throwing an object to another part of the room misdirection is so played out. What happened to her infiltration training? Her ability to "disappear" into the shadows...then somehow she gets intimately close to the Night King without anyone seeing or hearing her, when they were all out in the open, with his 4 "Night Generals" (who turned out to be useless tits who did nothing but walk through the castle's gates).  This made no sense!

Also, called it about the Mormonts dying, but also I thought that Brianne, one of Dany’s dragons, and Greyworm were dead too (the dude basically gave the two weeks from retirement speech last episode. How is he still alive?).
Little Lady Mormont went out pretty good, but again it's the whole charging forward into danger while screaming tactic that they repeated throughout the episode. The dothraki did it, Mormont did it, Theon did it...

Weak episode. Worst battle in the series. And such a disappointment after last week’s episode.

Go back and watch “The Two Towers” and the Battle of Helms Deep to see just how bad this was. This episode didn't even light a candle to the Battle of Helms Deep.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:00:46 pm by opt2not »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 02:59:53 pm »
Sansa is one of the worst parts of the show. They pointed out how useless she was when she said she didnt know how to use a dagger.  It doesnt help that Sophie Turner isnt a good actress either.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 03:05:14 pm »
Everything in the episode, including the confusion, the darkness and the inconsistencies were part of the artistic vision.  If you paid attention everything paid off and everything made sense.  If you didn't get it that's on you.

I can certainly understand people getting miffed about not being able to see anything in the beginning, but that was to heighten the viewers anxiety and judging by comments on the net of people complaining about it, it did just that.  And hour and a half of just a battle would be boring as hell if everything was shot with perfect clarity and everything was framed just so.  They used old spook house tricks to keep you invested in what would have otherwise been a boring slog.  There was no way to come even close to the 8 year buildup for this battle in a traditional narrative form, so they messed around with the audience's head to get a better emotional response for the end.  While I can certainly understand why some people wouldn't like that, it was well done.  Also Aria's actions make perfect sense if you were paying attention.  Check out hbo's episode recap on youtube and they walk you through it. 

Sophie Turner sucks and Sansa is kinda "meh" but that line about the dagger was a callback joke I believe. 

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 03:13:11 pm »
We saw what we needed to see. Everything else was confusing on purpose.

Between Endgame and GoT this weekend, I'm exhausted!

10/10

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 03:29:46 pm »
No, I get the "artistic" direction, it just needed to be better engineered.  And I'm not buying Aria's actions making perfect sense. It was discontinuous with her character, and leading up from her actions in the episode.  Cop-outs are cop-out. 

I paid attention, down to the micro detailed level...it just wasn't executed as well as it could have been.  I left that episode feeling cheaped out, and like I said, the other battles in the show were so much better than this (blackwater, battle of the ---daisies---...etc.), which is unfortunate given that those battles were all supposed to be a set-up to this mega battle we just saw.

Its quite clear where they ran out of book material and have been winging it ever since. What was once a story that subverted the fairy tales, and had characters that acted realistically, has become a story about playing it safe and playing for audience reactions. Undead giant stops his rampage to lift up little girl soldier to his eye? Main characters at the front line getting absolutely overwhelmed in one scene, and then show up in a later scene running back to Winterfell. But the biggest wasted moment for me is going out of your way to place every known Valyrian Steel Sword in Westeros into the hands of major characters, and not having any of them have a clash with a white walker.
..and for as long as Jaime, Pod, and Brienne were held up against that wall (being tickled?) - they somehow all survived - along with Sam who was still sobbing - not dead - just stabbing and sobbing...

Just bad, pedestrian writing, clearly made for the Micheal Bay action fans that the show has turned into now.

If you felt satisfied with the ending of this 8 year build-up, then good for you.  I personally thought they handled this battle very poorly, and it in no way "dethrones" LOTR as having the best cinematic battles ever filmed.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:33:47 pm by opt2not »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 03:42:07 pm »
Well no.  I hate Michael Bay stuff with a passion and I loved it, so your theory is debunked. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 03:54:43 pm »
Not being able to see what was going on is what had me playing MK11 on mute with my back to the TV for the majority of the episode. I saw just as much watching as I did just listening.
You call it artistic vision, I call it irritated viewership.

I get that Arya was quoting Jon from when she first got Needler , I'm saying Sansa is less useful than an 11 yr old girl.

Notable things the main character Sansa did:
got married a few times with little to no impact.
got raped by Ramsey and later got Ramsey eaten by his own dogs.

Notable things the side character Samwell Tarley did:
Enlisted in the Night's Watch
Outsmarted Mallister and Cotter to get Jon elected Lord Commander
First to kill a White Walker
Rescues Gilly and her baby Sam, and gets them to safety on the other side of the wall
finds a "cure" for Grey Scale
researched the weaknesses of the white walkers.
told jon that Bran was alive, and later told Jon that he was a Targaryen

Everyone in the family went through something and came out the other side changed. Robb became dead and even then it was Arya that avenged him in a bad ass way and not Sansa.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 04:15:41 pm by Malenko »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 04:08:19 pm »
It’s not a theory.
Micheal Bay movies, Star Trek Discovery, the Last Jedi...they’re all in the same pandering action-based category. Light on making sense, light on characters taking actions that are consistent...just turn your brain off, sit back and enjoy an amusement park ride.
And that’s normally fine. But Game of thrones has always been more cerebral, till the material ran out. Notice how they’re playing it safe now with killing of secondary or tertiary characters you don’t really care about?

Look, I’ve explained why I felt disappointed with this episode, and why it doesn’t hold a candle to LOTR’s Battle if Helms Deep, or any of the other Battles in the previous seasons.

One just shouldn’t get angry because others have a difference in personal preference.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 04:15:19 pm »
The true sign of something being artistically relevant is that not everyone likes it.  Everyone likes those damn Avengers movies and they are bland as ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  I mean they are a decent watch, but not 1 billion dollars good.  If everyone had liked the episode it would probably mean that it was fairly generic and therefore a terrible end to the arc.  Sorry you didn't like it, but I did and so did many others did so it isn't poorly done, you just didn't like it.  And that's ok and you are entitled to your own opinion.

Just don't act like this is on me.  I started the thread, you didn't have to make your opinion known especially if you feel like I would have reacted like you are accusing me of doing.  You still don't seem to get that you are the one that always starts stuff.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2019, 04:26:20 pm »
Listen, I don’t tip toe around the eggshells of your ego. You put out a statement in the second sentence of your opening post that was goading to be challenged. The Two Towers Battle, the previous battles in this show are all better, period. This episode didn’t even come close to dethroning those scenes.

Saying that I didn’t need to engage your statement because you’d react poorly is ridiculous. I don’t cater my posts around your emotional state. Sorry. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 04:53:55 pm »
Not being able to see what was going on is what had me playing MK11 on mute with my back to the TV for the majority of the episode. I saw just as much watching as I did just listening.
You call it artistic vision, I call it irritated viewership.
Spot on.

I get that Arya was quoting Jon from when she first got Needler , I'm saying Sansa is less useful than an 11 yr old girl.
Exactly. They really missed an opportunity for her to actually do “something”. And I thought she would have, especially after that Therion speech about the thinkers and little guys  making a difference in a battle.
Sansa could have had a real moment of selflessness and honour by attempting to defend zombies off in the crypt...but instead they wrote her as a secondary in that whole scene. She really didn’t need to be there.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 04:59:05 pm »
I think Lord of the Rings has officially been de-throned as having the best cinematic battles ever filmed.

I just think the praise is too high considering what we actually saw.  The only battle in the show worse than this is the one where Tyrion gets KO'ed at the start and you don't get to see the actual battle.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2019, 05:32:49 pm »
Not really.  The problem with Lord of the Rings battles is that there is never any sense of danger.  Legolas and Gimley frikkin quip at each other through each one.  In other words, it's a "movie" battle.  This one was brutal.... half of the characters did nothing but scream and constantly hack away at zombies barely saving their life each time.  Unlike a film, a few of the people in those desperate situations didn't make it.  And at the end everyone who did survive were beat up with scratches and cuts and wounds all over them.  You felt like they actually went through something.  Looking back at LOTR without the glasses of nostalgia the battles were kind of like a video game. 

There were certainly a lot of great battles on the show I won't argue that, but with the exception of the battle of the ---daisies--- I don't think any of them had a better payoff and understand, we've been waiting 8 years for this.... the only thing that mattered was the payoff.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2019, 05:39:21 pm »
Not really.  The problem with Lord of the Rings battles is that there is never any sense of danger.  Legolas and Gimley frikkin quip at each other through each one.  In other words, it's a "movie" battle.  This one was brutal.... half of the characters did nothing but scream and constantly hack away at zombies barely saving their life each time.  Unlike a film, a few of the people in those desperate situations didn't make it.  And at the end everyone who did survive were beat up with scratches and cuts and wounds all over them.  You felt like they actually went through something.  Looking back at LOTR without the glasses of nostalgia the battles were kind of like a video game. 

This is a great point.  The characters looked and acted scared in a way you don't often see in a movie.  Almost panicked at times---heck Clegane seemed like a coward due to the fire.  Very intense.  Too bad they chose to make it so dark and hard to see.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2019, 06:01:08 pm »

we've been waiting 8 years for this.... the only thing that mattered was the payoff.
Too bad they chose to make it so dark and hard to see.
Annnnnd this is why it fails.   We've waited 8 years of repetition and build-up that Winter is Coming, only to be barely able to see half of what's going on, be confused about what's going on, and be fed an inconsistency in character choices and safe playing of killing off characters that don't really matter.

Also, that's 8 years to wait for a 1 episode battle that sewed it up all neatly. I would have rather have them draw out the battle into at least 2 episodes since it supposed to be the "grand reveal", and kill off some primary characters...but now they have 7 more episodes to recover, deal with King's Landing, King or Queen in the North, alliances, etc...

I think Lord of the Rings has officially been de-throned as having the best cinematic battles ever filmed.
I just think the praise is too high considering what we actually saw.  The only battle in the show worse than this is the one where Tyrion gets KO'ed at the start and you don't get to see the actual battle.
Yup.  "best cinematic battles ever filmed" is indeed a stretch.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2019, 06:10:02 pm »
Yah, I hadn't seen any episodes  since the first season and despite all that "they kill everyone" narrative, most of the characters are still around....

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2019, 06:32:53 pm »
Yah, I hadn't seen any episodes  since the first season and despite all that "they kill everyone" narrative, most of the characters are still around....

Seems to me the killing of main characters slowed quite a bit once the show outpaced the books.  It became more of a TV show in that regard.  If we ever get another book it will be interesting to see if the killing starts again.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2019, 07:01:17 pm »
Thought it was ok. Darkness whether intended or not was annoying. Dont think it was as good as lotr battles. Dont even think it was as good as the battle of the ---daisies--- episode from the last series. And I'm still confused how the whole dothraki tribe gets killed in5 seconds yet 3 people with their backs to wall are still swinging their swords around after 30 minutes 

Still. Was watchable enough but not as good as I hoped it would be.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2019, 09:45:04 pm »
To me it was just trying to cover up the amount of CG they had to do with alot of darkness, blur and smoke. I thought the season 5 final battle was much better. It was still good I need to download the episode and watch it again. My parents invite everyone over for it, but it looked so dark and grey I am thinking there must be a problem with there TV; no way that it would be released looking like that.

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 03:09:36 am »
Okay so the battle was full of nonsense, but the episode entertaining-enough.
If your brain's set in advance on "ok this is tv not a superproduction helmed by masters of the art either"

What annoys me is that they didn't keep the whole white walkers and night king deal for the end, like something that would end the 'game' in an unexpected earth-shattering fashion.
Nope, we waited because "winter is coming", but we get "Cersei is still standing"  :-\
I would rather have had the whole game disturbed by a massive invasion of the seven kindoms and a much more desperate situation overall.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2019, 01:35:07 pm »

Seems to me the killing of main characters slowed quite a bit once the show outpaced the books.  It became more of a TV show in that regard.  If we ever get another book it will be interesting to see if the killing starts again.

It's a lot easier to kill of characters in a book because you don't have to deal with hiring actors, contracts, etc.

I stopped watching the show years ago when it ran out of book material and became essentially a ---smurfy--- fanfiction. I'm having my doubts that the books will ever conclude though.

CCM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2020, 10:08:27 am
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2019, 02:04:16 pm »

Also, that's 8 years to wait for a 1 episode battle that sewed it up all neatly. I would have rather have them draw out the battle into at least 2 episodes since it supposed to be the "grand reveal", and kill off some primary characters...but now they have 7 more episodes to recover, deal with King's Landing, King or Queen in the North, alliances, etc...

There are only 3 more episodes, not 7.   

Quote from: opt2not
Exactly. They really missed an opportunity for her to actually do “something”. And I thought she would have, especially after that Therion speech about the thinkers and little guys  making a difference in a battle.

Who the hell is Therion?

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2019, 02:19:48 pm »
I'm having my doubts that the books will ever conclude though.

Same.  Martin just doesn't seem like he is really interested in finishing them.

The show is fun though.  Not as good as the books for sure but talking with people about the show is half the fun.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2019, 02:23:10 pm »

The most optimistic I can be is that he adapts The Winds of Winter to be a conclusion to the series and scraps A Dream of Spring entirely. Expecting 2 more books seems implausible at this point.

CCM

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2019, 02:39:04 pm »

The most optimistic I can be is that he adapts The Winds of Winter to be a conclusion to the series and scraps A Dream of Spring entirely. Expecting 2 more books seems implausible at this point.

I haven't read all of the books and I'm not sure if I'll get around to them or not.   Where did the books end in relation to the show?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2019, 02:51:45 pm »

Wait, we're not getting 10 episodes this season??  Crap!  Now I really feel cheated out of the the 8 years of hype.  :banghead:

Quote from: opt2not

Who the hell is Therion?

Sorry, I meant to write Tyrion. I think I was writing about Theon in the same post and just mashed-up the names. LOL my bad.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2019, 03:27:54 pm »
I haven't read all of the books and I'm not sure if I'll get around to them or not.   Where did the books end in relation to the show?

I don't remember for sure. Originally they were doing one season per book, but I believe season three ended before they did all of book three. I think they tried to slow down a bit to give time for book 6 to come out, but before long it was obvious that wasn't going to happen.

I finished book 5 7 years ago so my memory isn't clear, I think it ended with Jon Snow being "killed" in a revolt or battle at the Wall.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2019, 06:30:32 pm »
Actually, I won't mind this if they keep with the extended length episodes. I believe the last one was 1.5 hours long, I'm not sure about the previous 2.  But with ep.3 it felt even longer due to the flat pacing and drawn out slo-mo panning scenes.

I'm hoping there's more to the White Walkers and Night King, and that they don't just end it on dealing with Cersei (or being dealt by Cersei??).

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2019, 07:03:47 pm »
Actually, I won't mind this if they keep with the extended length episodes. I believe the last one was 1.5 hours long, I'm not sure about the previous 2.  But with ep.3 it felt even longer due to the flat pacing and drawn out slo-mo panning scenes.

I'm hoping there's more to the White Walkers and Night King, and that they don't just end it on dealing with Cersei (or being dealt by Cersei??).

Totally agree. I couldn’t wait to watch episode 3 and was a little disappointed that episode 2 was a talkie. I’m less excited for episode 4. I just never saw Cersei as a real threat. I have no emotional investment in $ellswords. This show has a way of bobbing when I think it will weave.

What I will always love about GoT is the lack of feeing safe. Anything could happen at anytime.

CCM

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2019, 11:42:30 am »

Episodes 1 and 2 were both about an hour and are supposed to be the shortest of the season.   Episode 3 was billed as the longest episode, so the final 3 should fall in between somewhere and all be over an hour.   As far as 10 episode seasons, last season was only 7 episodes... so season 6 was the last 10 episode season.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2019, 08:37:39 pm »
I enjoyed it, but this video of one of the writers is friggin hilarious: (spoilers) (and unmute it)
https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/bjjjjj/actual_footage_of_the_writers_after_episode_3/

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2019, 08:46:14 pm »
  Episode 3 was billed as the longest episode, so the final 3 should fall in between somewhere and all be over an hour.

IMDB yo:

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2019, 09:42:22 pm »
I'm not a fan but all my friends are so I watch so I can be part of the convo but I've liked watching it.
my take on the dark scenes was it was atmosphere to try and convey just how the defenders felt.
IN the dark not knowing what was going on.
the scenes that were clear were really all that mattered.

though how most of the main characters lived was a little "huh?".

The ending was anti-climatic and didn't see it coming until the witch said what she said (no spoilers).
I do love the way they keep putting main characters into the "this is it! they bite the big one" then they survive.
That's what it's come down to for me.
Who is going to die next.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2019, 11:33:29 pm »
I'm not a fan but all my friends are so I watch so I can be part of the convo but I've liked watching it.
my take on the dark scenes was it was atmosphere to try and convey just how the defenders felt.
IN the dark not knowing what was going on.
the scenes that were clear were really all that mattered.

Exactly.  It was supposed to be like if a camera crew was in the middle of a warzone filming... you were getting the fighters perspective.  Btw the payoff I was talking about earlier was the knight king biting the big one at the hands of Arya and the dagger.  They've been foreshadowing that damn thing for 5 years now..... longer if you count the red woman's prediction. 

I think people are going to be surprised how many ultimately survive the show.  From a narrative perspective there aren't many left that absolutely need to die and I've got the feeling they are going to give us as happy an ending that is possible on this blood soaked show.  So many survived because poetically they are needed for interactions with Cerci in the final battle.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2019, 07:26:27 am »
didn't see it coming until the witch said what she said (no spoilers).

That was the only part that bothered me.  Fans of this show didn't need the recap for Arya.
I'd rather that pregame coaching session not have happened.  It was like a jackass in the theater telling you what was going to happen just before it happens. 
Arya looking death himself in the face and saying "Not today" would have been the payoff I was waiting for, but they blew it by using the line 5 minutes earlier.

(it's been long enough to stop using spoiler tags)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2019, 10:22:34 am »
I didnt mind Arya's stealth session. Typical tricks that would work on people wouldnt work on well......zombies. I get that. Throwing the book was kinda dumb. Would have been cooler if she dispatched them without alerting the others Assassin's Creed style. Then maybe one of the heads falls off a table and onto the floor and she has to run like she did.

I had an issue with Theon's death as well, it was a waste. Full circle redemption from cowardice to bravery for nothing. Everyone knew he'd charge and die. If he had charged, got killed, and Arya immediately jumped down and got caught in the NK's hand it wouldn't have been so pointless. Ya know, like he was enough of a distraction that she used it for an opening.  And yes, if she stared death in the eyes and said not today as she did her little dagger move it would have been a much better payoff. Lucky for us it wasn't as dark and full of artistic vision snow.

So we betting on whats going to happen?   I feel like its super obvious they are trying to goad us into thinking that Jamie is gonna cut down Cersi or he wont be able to do it and Brienne will do it and become the Queenslayer.   Arya's arc is done, she has no one left to avenge or punish. Sansa is as useful as tits on a bull. No idea what direction they are taking with Jon and Dany; He's the rightful King and I dont think he wants to marry his aunt. Maybe she takes the throne and Jon goes back to the North. The Hound vs the Mountain can finally happen and will hopefully be less anticlimactic than the whole Night King resolution. Im not really sure what other characters have any skin in the game other than maybe Yara killing her uncle that rocks the Lemmy.  Im sure Tyrion will get to do something cool, Dinklage has been a highlight of the show since the start. Oh maybe Brianne will get with Jamie and break the Tormund's heart. That'd be funny.

I dont see how the battle for Kings Landing can be that great with there still being 1 dragon that can just do a fly by and torch the whole fleet of mercs. The worlds greatest Javelin thrower is dead so the dragon should be safe. And its not dumb enough to just stay on the ground and get stabbed to death.

Last thing about the "artistic vision"......... I get what they were going for. I understand why they did it. It was horrible to watch and was not enjoyable television.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 01:12:33 pm by Malenko »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2019, 11:31:06 am »
My monies on Dany taking the big fall, she has the makings of a martyr.  Jon takes the throne reluctantly, and yeah I bet Brienne takes down Cersei.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2019, 01:47:13 pm »

Theon was destined to die the minute he betrayed the Starks so many seasons ago.  The only way he could truly be redeemed was to die defending the starks, which he did.  If he could give his brother 30 more seconds of life by charging, that's what he was going to do.  He'd been a coward in every battle thus far, but he stared death in the face and tried to kick his ass.  Full redemption, arc completed.  Could they have done it in the next battle?  Sure, but then they wouldn't have had a significant character die during this battle and it made more sense to have him die now than someone like the Lannisters whom need to die (if they die) at the hands of Cerci.  They are trying very hard to give us a satisfying end and that means giving the characters that are going to die a fitting death. 

See what I like about GOT is that they do proper story telling.  Something that has become a standard in modern television is the idea that anyone can die at any moment and that's simply not true.  If it were reality that would certainly be true, but you are telling a story.  That means people have to die to progress the narrative.  I mean you can kill off a bunch of people for no reason and it'll certainly shock your audience, but after that wears off the same audience will find the deaths unsatisfying.  Basically don't be like the walking dead.  The irony of that is TWD killed off a bunch of their main cast only to have half of the remaining cast quit the next season, so they are screwed atm. 

In a perfect world Tyrion would get the throne in the end... he's the only one who's been more or less moral throughout the show... at least when it comes doing what's best for the kingdom.  John is probably destined to die.  Anyone who gets a Christ resurrection tends to die or "go away" when the fighting is done.  I would say that Danny would sit on the throne, but something about that isn't right.... probably the fact that she didn't even set foot in Westeros until last season.  Jamie and Cerci are going to kill each other.  Probably a similar fate for the hound and the mountain.  I just don't see the show runners being brave enough to let Tyrion be the last man standing.  Most likely Danny will get it after John dying and she'll let Sansa rule the north independently out of respect for him. 

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2019, 02:08:58 pm »
I kept hoping Ned Stark would wake up in the crypt and start killing people.  That would have been some next-level fan service.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2019, 02:10:33 pm »

Theon was destined to die the minute he betrayed the Starks so many seasons ago.  The only way he could truly be redeemed was to die defending the starks, which he did.  If he could give his brother 30 more seconds of life by charging, that's what he was going to do.  He'd been a coward in every battle thus far, but he stared death in the face and tried to kick his ass.  Full redemption, arc completed.  Could they have done it in the next battle?  Sure, but then they wouldn't have had a significant character die during this battle and it made more sense to have him die now than someone like the Lannisters whom need to die (if they die) at the hands of Cerci.  They are trying very hard to give us a satisfying end and that means giving the characters that are going to die a fitting death. 

See what I like about GOT is that they do proper story telling.  Something that has become a standard in modern television is the idea that anyone can die at any moment and that's simply not true.  If it were reality that would certainly be true, but you are telling a story.  That means people have to die to progress the narrative.  I mean you can kill off a bunch of people for no reason and it'll certainly shock your audience, but after that wears off the same audience will find the deaths unsatisfying.  Basically don't be like the walking dead.  The irony of that is TWD killed off a bunch of their main cast only to have half of the remaining cast quit the next season, so they are screwed atm. 

In a perfect world Tyrion would get the throne in the end... he's the only one who's been more or less moral throughout the show... at least when it comes doing what's best for the kingdom.  John is probably destined to die.  Anyone who gets a Christ resurrection tends to die or "go away" when the fighting is done.  I would say that Danny would sit on the throne, but something about that isn't right.... probably the fact that she didn't even set foot in Westeros until last season.  Jamie and Cerci are going to kill each other.  Probably a similar fate for the hound and the mountain.  I just don't see the show runners being brave enough to let Tyrion be the last man standing.  Most likely Danny will get it after John dying and she'll let Sansa rule the north independently out of respect for him.

Tyrion is who I'm rooting for as well.  Seems like they have been setting him up for a major redemption since last season.  He's my favorite character from the books.

I agree something doesn't quite feel right about Dani getting the throne and/or Jon living.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2019, 02:22:48 pm »
The next foreshadowing to play out will be:
"remember....if anyone ever hires you to kill me, I'll double their price"
The question is whether it applies to only Bronn or the whole golden company.

I guess in the next episode we will find out if Dany has won Sansa over or not.
There are still plenty of twists possible.  Tyrion's "mistakes" could be a plan on his part.  (they never showed the actual conversation between him and Cersei)
They've kept Varys under the radar so far this season, so there could be a reveal coming for him.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2019, 02:25:22 pm »
The next foreshadowing to play out will be:
"remember....if anyone ever hires you to kill me, I'll double their price"
The question is whether it applies to only Bronn or the whole golden company.

Tyrion does mention that every time he sees Bronn.  Would be a cool twist.  I love Bronn's character too.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2019, 03:38:53 pm »
I figure Varys is going to be the hand when all is said and done.  He would never want to be on the throne....too much attention that can get him killed. 

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2019, 05:49:41 pm »
I'm still waiting till I can pay for just one month of HBO and watch the whole season.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2019, 07:40:21 pm »
Theon was destined to die the minute he betrayed the Starks so many seasons ago.  The only way he could truly be redeemed was to die defending the starks, which he did.  If he could give his brother 30 more seconds of life by charging, that's what he was going to do.
We dont disagree on any of this. Arya using that choice for an opening makes more sense than waiting for him to kill Theon , then waiting for BrandFlakes and Old Blue Eyes to have a staring contest for a bit, then finally trying to kill him.

Everything just feels a little ham fisted right now. I'm pot committed at this point so no matter how dumb and anti climactic the last 3 episodes are, I'll watch em.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2019, 09:44:17 pm »
I'm still waiting till I can pay for just one month of HBO and watch the whole season.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm using the HBO GO app through my amazon prime on fire stick.
first 7 days free I think then $15 month.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2019, 09:48:52 pm »

Theon was destined to die the minute he betrayed the Starks so many seasons ago.  The only way he could truly be redeemed was to die defending the starks, which he did.  If he could give his brother 30 more seconds of life by charging, that's what he was going to do.  He'd been a coward in every battle thus far, but he stared death in the face and tried to kick his ass.  Full redemption, arc completed. 

He has been a coward ever since he had his twig and berries lopped off.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2019, 12:17:00 am »
Theon was destined to die the minute he betrayed the Starks so many seasons ago.  The only way he could truly be redeemed was to die defending the starks, which he did.  If he could give his brother 30 more seconds of life by charging, that's what he was going to do.
We dont disagree on any of this. Arya using that choice for an opening makes more sense than waiting for him to kill Theon , then waiting for BrandFlakes and Old Blue Eyes to have a staring contest for a bit, then finally trying to kill him.

Everything just feels a little ham fisted right now. I'm pot committed at this point so no matter how dumb and anti climactic the last 3 episodes are, I'll watch em.

Well we didn't see what happened from her perspective.  It very well could be that she just got there when she did her batman leap of death.  Lots of zombies  and a frikkin berserker zombie dragon after all. 

I'm excited about the last few eps, but I'm more interested to see how much of a train wreck the spin offs are going to be.  HBO put it's hopes on west world to be their next killer show and while it's doing well it doesn't seem to be GOT level's of popular.  They are going to push the spinoffs HARD.  Also excited to see Deadwood return, even for a belated half-assed movie.  It's the show that started it all after all. 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2019, 07:36:07 pm »
Thoughts on episode 4?  I thought it was good character interactions for the most part even though it felt really rushed and characters were just appearing all over Westeros for the sake of the plot.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2019, 07:55:25 pm »
Thoughts on episode 4?  I thought it was good character interactions for the most part even though it felt really rushed and characters were just appearing all over Westeros for the sake of the plot.

It was an odd episode.  I can't really say I disliked it but it did not do a lot for me.  The characters seem to be making decisions more inline with moving the plot where it needs to go versus how you would expect.  Dani in particular is making uncharacteristically bad strategic decisions. 

I agree it felt a little rushed.  Really the last two seasons have felt rushed but I'm not sure that could be avoided given the number of episodes they gave themselves to finished.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2019, 08:14:05 pm »
I don't understand how people keep saying the plot is rushed and characters are just moving the plot along and in the next sentence say hey good show. After the show outpaced the books it totally sucks. It is badly written garbage.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2019, 09:46:01 pm »
I don't understand how people keep saying the plot is rushed and characters are just moving the plot along and in the next sentence say hey good show. After the show outpaced the books it totally sucks. It is badly written garbage.

I still really enjoy it even though the last 2 seasons haven’t been as good as the rest of the show.  I’m not that critical and I’m easily entertained plus there aren’t a lot of shows like this where I’m really into the subject matter.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2019, 09:56:56 pm »
I am normally not that critical of television shows either. I like some really stupid stuff. Ravens that can fly hypersonic speeds and sailing fleets that can teleport anywhere in the world just broke the show for me.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2019, 10:06:59 pm »
I am normally not that critical of television shows either. I like some really stupid stuff. Ravens that can fly hypersonic speeds and sailing fleets that can teleport anywhere in the world just broke the show for me.

yeah - I get it.  They are doing a pretty bad job with traveling all over the place.  I can suspend disbelief for the Raven mail system but Denerys just appearing in King's Landing in a nanosecond goes against everything the show has set up over the years.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2019, 01:50:07 am »
I liked the episode over all but that ending was ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---.  I don't know a lot about the military but I'm pretty sure they'd send a scout ship waaaaay ahead of the fleet first to do some recon and make sure everything is alright.  Plus that dragon was pretty high up in the air.  There's no way in hell that a half dozen ships that large just snuck up on them.  I just praised the show for not doing things for sheer shock value and then they turn around and pull a walking dead.  The dragon had to die to add some tension for the final battle, I get that, but they could have just ran into the fleet and had a normal battle where he ultimately dies because he's already wounded and can't fly well.  Would have made far more sense. 

I've got a bad feeling that Aryra might bite the big one.  She and the Hound are obviously going to go get the Mountain and Cerci.  I find it doubtful that they'll let her kill both the big bads in the show even though she is absolutely capable of it.  I think Jamie will still ultimately kill her.  He's had too much of an arc over the show to just go back and be her lap dog again. 

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2019, 04:49:07 am »
It's looking likely that Daenerys is becoming the Mad Queen and will follow in her Father's footsteps.....

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2019, 09:57:38 am »
I liked the episode over all but that ending was ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---.  I don't know a lot about the military but I'm pretty sure they'd send a scout ship waaaaay ahead of the fleet first to do some recon and make sure everything is alright.  Plus that dragon was pretty high up in the air.  There's no way in hell that a half dozen ships that large just snuck up on them.  I just praised the show for not doing things for sheer shock value and then they turn around and pull a walking dead.  The dragon had to die to add some tension for the final battle, I get that, but they could have just ran into the fleet and had a normal battle where he ultimately dies because he's already wounded and can't fly well.  Would have made far more sense. 

That bothered me as well.  You could almost see the ambush coming the way they were lackadaisically flying/sailing back to Dragonstone.  I get they needed to lose the dragon but it seemed a bit unrealistic the way it went down.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2019, 10:30:58 am »
That bothered me as well.  You could almost see the ambush coming the way they were lackadaisically flying/sailing back to Dragonstone.  I get they needed to lose the dragon but it seemed a bit unrealistic the way it went down.

Also, all she had to do was circle around to the back of the fleet to take them all out.  The giant crossbows were on the front of each ship and they were all pointing in the same direction.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2019, 10:46:49 am »

Also, all she had to do was circle around to the back of the fleet to take them all out.  The giant crossbows were on the front of each ship and they were all pointing in the same direction.
Great point. That would have been awesome to see too.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2019, 11:34:03 am »
I also didn't like that Messandei got captured - it's ridiculous given the context.  She would have died in the water or made it ashore with everyone else.  How did they even know to grab her?  All it did was set up the scene on the top of the wall.  Pure plot contrivance.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2019, 12:16:13 pm »
I also didn't like that Messandei got captured - it's ridiculous given the context.  She would have died in the water or made it ashore with everyone else.  How did they even know to grab her?  All it did was set up the scene on the top of the wall.  Pure plot contrivance.

Yeah was she absolutely the only one they captured? 

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2019, 01:57:59 pm »

Well it's what one should expect. They went from adaptations which, all things considered, were generally faithful to the source material written by an established fantasy author to fanfiction written by trashy TV writers.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2019, 02:22:33 pm »
Ugh, watched the latest last night.  The ending of this show is going to be such a let down, if this is the bar they're hitting with this final season.

All the events in this episode was such contrived, lightly thought-out pandering to a weak plot that the writers are just phoning it in at this point.   The fact you can hide an entire sea fleet behind rocks, ergo behind line of sight of a dragon flying 1000's of feet up in the air, from a vertical vantage point... then get bullseye'd by a harpoon. What, why, huh??
Then Daenerys not flying behind the fleet and burning the heck out of the ships is just ridiculous.  The harpoon guns were mounted on the bow of the ships!

Messandei getting nabbed was just dumb. Wasn't she on the exact same ship as Grey Worm? I get that everyone got dumped into the sea, but how was she picked out of the crowd and not the others?
But hey, like I mentioned earlier, the writers are now just choosing to play it safe and kill off non-primary characters.

Weak writing all around. At this point I just want to see it end, and put allow it to be put out of it's misery.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2019, 03:00:32 pm »
Euron's fleet can teleport. He may as well have cloaking devices too. I am surprised he didn't blast a dragon out of the sky by firing a phaser blast from his dong.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2019, 04:43:59 pm »
This was just sent to me:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2019, 05:27:55 pm »

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2019, 03:29:45 pm »
All I'm sayin is you better learn to like Jamie Lanister, cause if you don't the ending probably going to suck. 

My bet is for everyone to be dead except Jamie and the bald enuch Advisor.... Outside shot of Jamie actually killing Cersei.

That's how I see it ending.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2019, 08:10:04 pm »
I'd pick one of the dead characters resurrecting and taking the throne before Jamie.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2019, 10:41:54 am »
*sigh*

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2019, 10:53:57 am »
My bet is for everyone to be dead except Jamie and the bald enuch Advisor.... Outside shot of Jamie actually killing Cersei.

Well, you were super wrong :p

This whole season has been pretty bad. The increased run times don't seem to matter, an extra 20 minutes of panoramas dont really add anything. The magic Scorpions/Ballistas lost their magic.   If you didn't see the dragon attack going the way it did you haven't picked up on how bad and obvious the writing is this season.  1 episode arc to the mad queen was weak AF. Killing the second dragon made even less sense from the previous episode since they buffed the main one to God status this week.

I can't wait until they wrap this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- show up.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2019, 01:35:37 pm »
It hasn't been a 1 episode arc, it's been an 8 season arc...she's always been the poorest written character on the show and has shown time and time again to have the emotional maturity of a particularly moody toddler.  That being said, I thought the whole point of dropping these little hints here and there was so that you'd think she'd turn mad only for her not to.. that would have been intelligent writing.  This was just dumb.  Likewise with Jamie and Cerci.  Jamie had an arc of redemption... the only way those end is either dying a heroic death or a good ending.  I'll admit that I actually felt sorry for them in that final scene, but I think that was just due to the caliber of acting.  Ditto for the Jamie x Tyrion exchange. 

Getting back to Danny, I guess she and her dragon are indestructible when they are pissed off.  That's fine I guess, but then why didn't she get pissed off and destroy the iron fleet straight away in the last episode so that her bff didn't get captured and murdered, essentially starting this whole rampage in the first place?  Oh yeah, because that would have ruined their paper thin plot.  Also how did she keep from burning her own men?  Also, if she could somehow keep from killing her own men, how come Arya almost bites the big one 20 times?  Was she trying to kill her?  Yeah this was all spectacle no plot. 

That being said Hound vs Mountain was pretty good.  I particularly liked when the Mountain smashed that creepy ex miester's head in.  It leaved a lot of un-answered questions though, namely wtf did they do to the mountain to make him indestructible.   What few Arya x Hound scenes we got were pure gold.  I think the old "O'Brien must suffer" meme from ds9 has to be changed to "Arya must suffer" now.  That poor girl never catches a break. 

I think the biggest problem I have with the episode though is this shortened season length.  Ok we've got an evil person on the throne again... now what?  We've got about an hour and 20 minutes left so even if they manage to defeat her there isn't going to be any time left to actually decompress and see some closure for all of these characters.  The other option is to just leave her on the throne, but then they've basically pulled a "to be continued" in preparation for some terrible spin-off.  I mean how are they even going to be able to defeat her with puff the magic dragon on her side?  I'm guessing via more terrible plot. 

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2019, 01:39:39 pm »
That being said Hound vs Mountain was pretty good.  I particularly liked when the Mountain smashed that creepy ex miester's head in.  It leaved a lot of un-answered questions though, namely wtf did they do to the mountain to make him indestructible.   What few Arya x Hound scenes we got were pure gold.

That might be my favorite scene from this season.  The Cleganebowl lived up to the hype for sure!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2019, 02:14:35 pm »
Except, is the Mountain done?  I mean, the guy took a blade through the brain and it didn't even phase him.  How is a tower fall into fire going to stop him? The guy is a Terminator.

I mostly agree with Howard's points (except about Dany, they really only used 2 episodes and a handful of hints to question the Mad Queen storyline). But I'm really disappointed in they way they closed off Jaime and Cerci's story.   Jaime should have had either a good ending, or a history repeating itself ending where he gains the additional title of Queen Slayer.  He should have been the one to off Cerci, in some execution style offing, not death by circumstance.  Cerci has been the ultimate baddie of the show, and her death was not satisfying at all for the wrongs she has done.

Arya traveling all that way with the pretense that she accepted her fate and was going to kill Cerci and face a noble death trying, gets completely unraveled after the Hound spouts off a couple lines?  I didn't buy it. They had Arya set as one of the ultimate badasses of the show, then by the end they just let her persona change out of a couple episodes. 

Jon is going to off Dany, in some dramatic sorrow scene where he has to make a choice between love for her, or for the good of the realm.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2019, 02:22:23 pm »
Except, is the Mountain done?  I mean, the guy took a blade through the brain and it didn't even phase him.  How is a tower fall into fire going to stop him? The guy is a Terminator.

I mostly agree with Howard's points (except about Dany, they really only used 2 episodes and a handful of hints to question the Mad Queen storyline). But I'm really disappointed in they way they closed off Jaime and Cerci's story.   Jaime should have had either a good ending, or a history repeating itself ending where he gains the additional title of Queen Slayer.  He should have been the one to off Cerci, in some execution style offing, not death by circumstance.  Cerci has been the ultimate baddie of the show, and her death was not satisfying at all for the wrongs she has done.

Arya traveling all that way with the pretense that she accepted her fate and was going to kill Cerci and face a noble death trying, gets completely unraveled after the Hound spouts off a couple lines?  I didn't buy it. They had Arya set as one of the ultimate badasses of the show, then by the end they just let her persona change out of a couple episodes. 

Jon is going to off Dany, in some dramatic sorrow scene where he has to make a choice between love for her, or for the good of the realm.

Totally agree with all these points.

The only other thing I could possibly see is Arya stealth killing Dany for all the innocents shes killed.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2019, 03:16:56 pm »
There were multiple times throughout the show where she's been shown to be ruthless and unreasonable... you know, the exact opposite of John Snow, which was kind of the point.  Ruthless and unreasonable are big warning signs in regards to how she'll rule. 

Arya wasn't supposed to die.  The only reason she followed the Hound was because she saw him going off alone and knew what he was about to do.  Seemed pretty obvious to me.  She'll have a part to play in the final episode but her arc was all about letting go of her stupid hit list so it'd make zero sense for her to die over Cerci when the battle was already won.  I think you guys might have confused the fact that she doesn't fall into typical gender norms with her desire to keep being an assassin.  She's not a "lady"... that's why she refused the Barthian boy, not because of her vendetta. 

Like I said, the Arya x Hound scenes were pure gold...there's really no debating that. 

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2019, 03:28:50 pm »
Arya wasn't supposed to die.  The only reason she followed the Hound was because she saw him going off alone and knew what he was about to do.  Seemed pretty obvious to me.  She'll have a part to play in the final episode but her arc was all about letting go of her stupid hit list so it'd make zero sense for her to die over Cerci when the battle was already won.  I think you guys might have confused the fact that she doesn't fall into typical gender norms with her desire to keep being an assassin.  She's not a "lady"... that's why she refused the Barthian boy, not because of her vendetta. 

That is not at all how I saw it but it is the best explanation I've seen for Arya's turning back. 

Like I said, the Arya x Hound scenes were pure gold...there's really no debating that.

100% agree.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2019, 03:30:54 pm »
Arya x Hound scenes were "ok". I wouldn't put them in that kind of extremist column.

Like I said, I *mostly* agree with Howard's points.  Mostly.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2019, 04:45:21 pm »
I think you guys might have confused the fact that she doesn't fall into typical gender norms with her desire to keep being an assassin.

Just image about a million of these - >  ::)

The Hound and Arya scenes are typically the best because they are 2 of the better fleshed out characters and honestly 2 of the best actors on the show. The same reason all the Sansa scenes are so bad, Sophie Turner is just not a very good actor and the Sansa character is thinner than single ply TP .  Jamie's *very very very long* redemption arc was just tossed aside for no reason last episode, the Auron fight was clinically stupid and a waste of both characters.   The dragon surgically destroying all the ballistas this time made the lack of sinking the iron fleet so much dumber last episode.  Tyrion trying to save innocents also made no sense, as no innocents were in danger until *after* they rang the bells.  Cleganebowl was kind of meh, I mean at least we actually got the see the fight this time. The ending felt like a cop out. That weird dude that was the hand of the queen eating it was satisfying though.

Arya getting KO'ed TWICE then finding a random horse was a giant waste of time.  I think they forgot to CGI in the golden company unless they were just that one corps in front of the gate. If so Cersei didnt get her money's worth. Iron Fleet was equally useless, no sea combat so blocking blackwater bay was unneeded and all they did was get toasted by dragon fire after having storm trooper aim for 45 seconds. Guess Sansa was wrong, after you fight a grueling battle against the undead you just pack up and march south for weeks and then fight another battle ; no rest needed.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2019, 05:03:05 pm »
I thought the Hound and Arya story wrapped up just fine.  Arya was on a mission to kill the queen but the Hound really talked some sense into her and you could tell they cared for each other by the end.  Arya turning back said a lot about her character in that she isn't just a killing machine and she can make smart decisions over completing her list.  She recognized in the moment that she didn't want to end up like the Hound with revenge consuming her.

The fight with his brother was fine too.  I do wish he would have chopped the Mountain's head off or something but what we got was OK.  The Hound didn't deserve to go out like that.

Don't get me started on Dany, Jamie and Cersei - 3 characters completely turning their backs on all the character development over the entire show.  Jamie had a redemption arc... nope.  He's an a-hole to the core and people don't change except they do change over the course of many years but then go back to being an a-hole at the drop of a hat.  Dany had a Mad Queen arc... yup.  So that was obvious except the way they got there was completely unbelievable.  She was built up over 7 seasons and undone in 3 episodes.  Cersei had the prophecy arc... nope.  I guess that was just a bunch of nonsense.  Really disappointing end for these characters.  Also, Jon is a moron.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2019, 05:40:21 pm »
It's a totally rushed ending. They spent seasons establishing a pacing, only to run through the last season and a half.

What I do still enjoy though is having no idea wtf is going to happen. I love the idea of watching a story unfold, opposed to knowing how it'll end and just not knowing how it'll get there. When I watch a X-men movie, I already know how it's going to end for the most part, I just don't know the filler details. With GoT, I'm seriously just hanging on for the ride and reflecting after it's over.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2019, 08:03:51 pm »
It's a totally rushed ending. They spent seasons establishing a pacing, only to run through the last season and a half.

What I do still enjoy though is having no idea wtf is going to happen. I love the idea of watching a story unfold, opposed to knowing how it'll end and just not knowing how it'll get there. When I watch a X-men movie, I already know how it's going to end for the most part, I just don't know the filler details. With GoT, I'm seriously just hanging on for the ride and reflecting after it's over.

Yeah it was fun not having a single idea what was going to happen last night. Very rare nowadays.  The last couple of seasons certainly are not perfect but I'm enjoying watching anyway. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2019, 09:24:01 pm »

Arya getting KO'ed TWICE then finding a random horse was a giant waste of time.

There was an actual point to the horse.  The first time Clegane looked out for her when she was younger, she rode a white horse.  When they both ride to King's Landing to kill, they both ride black horses.  Her discovering and leaving on a white horse represents her backing away from darkness.

Her running around freaking out was annoying, just like it was when they fought the wites.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2019, 04:41:38 am »
I think having her run around a bit was a bit of a indication that she is still a scared little girl at the heart of it even though she is a total bad ass.

She knows her limits and knows that she would not fair well in a open conflict.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2019, 10:42:31 pm »
The point of the "running around"  was for the audience to understand just how horrible the attack was and for the audience to understand that Arya witnessed it first hand.  Also don't forget that in revelations the pale horse is rode by death. 

I think Danny's last second heel turn was a huge mistake, as was the end of Jamie's arc, but there were some things to like in the episode, namely anything involving Arya Tyrion and the Hound.  I also wonder if the little horse the burnt girl was holding is going to get back to Sir Davos... he's not going to be happy. 

CCM

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2019, 09:35:20 am »
I liked the episode, Dany's 'Mad Queen' turn wasn't a surprise at all, everyone should have seen it coming.   She said it herself that she doesn't have any love in Westeros, she only has fear.   She is only a benevolent queen to those who worship and adore her.  As soon as you 'betray' her, you are toast.   All of her advisors that tempered her anger and rash behavior are dead or in her eyes have betrayed her, she sees everyone in the North fawning over Jon Snow, then she finds out the Jon could be a rival for the throne.   To top it all off Jon rebuffs her because he doesn't want to bang his Aunt.   All of this combined with generations of inbreeding and a history of madness is a recipe for a mad queen.

Now, all of that being said, it was a little rushed.  I saw this link on another board and I think it perfectly explains the difference in the writing and pacing of the show over the last few seasons:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1125856091261136896.html

As far as Jamie's arc, I was disappointed that he ran back to Cercei, but it does make sense when you go back and see the comments that both characters have made over the series.  They both made comments that they would die together and that their love started in the womb.   I also think that Jamie, for all of the terrible things he did in his life, doesn't think he deserves someone like Brienne.  And finally I think he is also motivated to try and save their unborn child.   Last season Cercei told Jamie that she would tell everyone the truth that he was the father because they had nothing left to fear.  I think this meant a lot to Jamie that he could actually claim the child and raise it on his own.

I agree that anything with Arya and the Hound is pure gold.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
---smurfing--- Game of Thrones!
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2019, 10:49:10 am »
If I complain about the pacing of the show, the waste of extra run time, and the way too quick change of characters its not because I dont understand symbolism, or call backs, etc. I got the ham-fisted representation of the white horse , she doesnt wanna be bent on revenge like the hound. But at the same time she wants to be an assassin and not a lady. sure whatever.  Now explain to me why Sansa was on the show at all.

The pacing of everything is done terribly, armys and people are teleporting all over the map. Characters are making convenient plot choices, entire character arcs are ignored,  and they just killed off the best character in the show for a second time. I went from giddy with anticipation of the final season to "lets get this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- over with"  faster than Jamie went from Help defend the north from the dead to die in a tunnel with my fuckbuddy sister.

Here is a pretty amazing recap:

I dont agree with 100% of it, but for the most part its spot on. Also, I love Ozzyman and pretend its Ond doing the videos :)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2019, 11:05:15 am »
I agree with Malenko 1000 percent.

I would add that I love fantasy like LOTR and I played D & D in high school. That being said, Game of Thrones would have been a better show without all of the fantasy elements. The "Game of Thrones" itself was the most interesting part for me.

CCM

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2019, 11:20:57 am »
I don't have a problem with fast-travel of the armys... I just assumed that several week or even months passed in between episodes.  I don't expect them to have an hour episode of an army slogging thru the middle of nowhere Westeros or an episode dedicated to watching them build the scorpions at Kings Landing.

The issue I do have is that Cercei should have been showing a baby bump by now... or hell.. the baby should have already been born for all of the time that should have passed from season 7 to 8.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2019, 11:48:11 am »
Every episode this season, I say, "That was awesome. How can anyone ---smurfette--- about that?"

Then I go online and....I just don't get it. I've had no complaints this season, nor do any of the people at our watch parties every Sunday night.

Oh well, only one more to go...

CCM

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2019, 12:56:25 pm »
Every episode this season, I say, "That was awesome. How can anyone ---smurfette--- about that?"

Then I go online and....I just don't get it. I've had no complaints this season, nor do any of the people at our watch parties every Sunday night.

Same here.  Other than a few nit-picky things, I have thoroughly enjoyed this season, as has my wife and our friends that watch the show.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2019, 01:30:25 pm »

Same here.  Other than a few nit-picky things, I have thoroughly enjoyed this season, as has my wife and our friends that watch the show.

I have also really enjoyed it overall (despite not loving everything 100% like in past seasons) and any complaining I do is because I've thought about something for too long.  As soon as an episode ends everyone in the room is always smiling.  These episodes have been EPIC on my 130" screen!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2019, 01:33:20 pm »
Well they have been crap on my 149" screen. My screen is bigger. Therefore I am correct. ;D

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2019, 02:14:33 pm »
Yes, but are you listening to 50,000 watts???
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2019, 02:18:15 pm »
1.21 gigawatts

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2019, 02:38:25 pm »
Well they have been crap on my 149" screen. My screen is bigger. Therefore I am correct. ;D

Can't argue with that logic!  ;D

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2019, 02:43:49 pm »
Unless you’re running 50,000 W through cables made from lunar metal fragments brought back by Apollo 59, you’re not doing it right dude

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2019, 02:47:42 pm »
I liked the episode, Dany's 'Mad Queen' turn wasn't a surprise at all, everyone should have seen it coming.   She said it herself that she doesn't have any love in Westeros, she only has fear.   She is only a benevolent queen to those who worship and adore her.  As soon as you 'betray' her, you are toast.   All of her advisors that tempered her anger and rash behavior are dead or in her eyes have betrayed her, she sees everyone in the North fawning over Jon Snow, then she finds out the Jon could be a rival for the throne.   To top it all off Jon rebuffs her because he doesn't want to bang his Aunt.   All of this combined with generations of inbreeding and a history of madness is a recipe for a mad queen.

Exactly.  I guess everyone forgot all those dudes she crucified and burnt alive back in Essos without even blinking an eye?  Sure they were "bad guys" but the point is she's ALWAYS threw the baby out with the bathwater.  Like I said, ruthlessness in a ruler is a very bad sign.  Also remember that after she "freed" all those people that she supposedly cared about (most of them are in her army, so they aren't exactly free) she just abandoned them to go conquer Westeros.  That being said, they did so much foreshadowing it was really lame that they followed through with it.  I assumed, like everyone else, that it was a red herring to generate tension in an otherwise tensionless final battle.  Now that they've up and done it, there's no way they are going to be able to wrap things up in a satisfying manner with the time left.  If they wanted to do the heel-turn then fine, do that in episode 2.... you don't wait until the pen-ultimate episode. 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2019, 02:48:08 pm »
My cables are polished with unicorn jizz. Harvested by hand.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Game of ---smurfing--- Thrones!
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2019, 02:54:04 pm »
My cables are polished with unicorn jizz. Harvested by hand.

Oh yeah? Are the knobs on your digital receiver made out of polished driftwood from upper Bulgaria? If not, GTFO!

http://hoaxes.org/weblog/comments/wooden_knobs_for_your_stereo
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 02:56:31 pm by yotsuya »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2019, 02:57:53 pm »
You certainly know your knob polishing.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2019, 03:09:03 pm »

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 06:00:54 pm
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2019, 03:31:47 pm »
SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN SE08EP05:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:33:43 pm by dgame »

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2019, 06:01:12 pm »
Apparently hundreds of thousands....or at least a hundred-thousand.....are clammoring on Tweeter for a re-write of the last scene. Despite it having a record-breaking 18M audience.....only?....in this day of billions of people, with all the hubbub everywhere - and only eighteen million? I'm....perplexed.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2019, 10:31:48 pm »
In this day of streaming services, the internet and hundreds of sat and cable channels why are you perplexed? 

18 million is a massive audience, especially for a premium channel.  To put it in perspective, that's the average ratings of the big bang theory, a show that everyone gets for free. 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2019, 09:51:45 am »
On 'Last Week Tonight' John Oliver was making fun of HBO and how screwed they are after this weekend when GoT goes away.  It was pretty funny (because his show is also on HBO).

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2019, 03:58:51 pm »
18 million is a massive audience, especially for a premium channel. 

Its 18 million views, that doesnt account for say, 5 people watching the same TV.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2019, 09:26:20 pm »
Right, but regardless that's damn good ratings for premium cable. 

Well t-minus 2 days before we see how this train wreck of a season ends.  It's interesting that almost everyone takes issue with the season yet the opinions on what was done poorly and what was done well are all over the place depending upon the person.  Who knows, this last episode might be so great that it silences all the complaints.  Mind you I doubt it, but it could happen.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2019, 09:43:53 pm »

Well t-minus 2 days before we see how this train wreck of a season ends.  It's interesting that almost everyone takes issue with the season yet the opinions on what was done poorly and what was done well are all over the place depending upon the person.  Who knows, this last episode might be so great that it silences all the complaints.  Mind you I doubt it, but it could happen.

It's going to be tough.  80 minutes so probably 40 dealing with Dany and 40 as an epilogue?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2019, 10:37:33 pm »

Even when Im on your side it feels like your still against me.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2019, 10:47:34 pm »
Huh?  I was agreeing with you.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2019, 10:45:01 pm »
You know what... not a bad ending.  It certainly had a huge plot issue, namely that Danny's forces wouldn't have negotiated peacefully, but if you can ignore that it sort of had a poetic justice. 

Most of the good guys wanted something at the beginning of the show and they all got it.  Arya wanted to be free, and she is.  Sansa wanted to rule, and now she does.  Tyrion wanted to govern and he does, but he got a lot of people killed, so as punishment he will continue to run things and get absolutely no credit for it.  John wanted a family that accepted him and he got two, but he also got a lot of people killed, so he doesn't get to be with the one he loves.  Danny, before she went nuts, wanted to break the wheel... she did, at the cost of her sanity and eventually her life.  Brienne wanted to be a knight, she is.  Bran wanted to fly and now he can worg into birds and dragons or whatever he wants.  Hell Sam wanted to be a meister and now he's the head meister.  Bronn wanted money and power, he got it.  The wildings are free. Even the wolf got some pettings. 

Bran on the throne is dumb, but it does kind of make sense... he's completely inoffensive so nobody will oppose his rule and he doesn't care about anything so he won't be corrupted by power.  He's just a figurehead anyway... it's apparent by those last scenes that Tyrion is the real king.  Yeah and I called it.  John "went away" lord of the rings style.

Considering how screwed up the last episode was they made a remarkable recovery.  Now let's see how many chime in to complain.  ;)

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2019, 09:49:18 am »
So I paid for a month of HBO on Amazon and binge watched the whole Season 8 yesterday.  Of course things can always be different but I enjoyed it.  I think the most fitting ending in the spirit of that show would have been if the dragon went postal and killed the entire cast but there's really no way it doesn't toast Jon.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2019, 10:12:24 am »
You know what... not a bad ending.  It certainly had a huge plot issue, namely that Danny's forces wouldn't have negotiated peacefully, but if you can ignore that it sort of had a poetic justice. 

Most of the good guys wanted something at the beginning of the show and they all got it.  Arya wanted to be free, and she is.  Sansa wanted to rule, and now she does.  Tyrion wanted to govern and he does, but he got a lot of people killed, so as punishment he will continue to run things and get absolutely no credit for it.  John wanted a family that accepted him and he got two, but he also got a lot of people killed, so he doesn't get to be with the one he loves.  Danny, before she went nuts, wanted to break the wheel... she did, at the cost of her sanity and eventually her life.  Brienne wanted to be a knight, she is.  Bran wanted to fly and now he can worg into birds and dragons or whatever he wants.  Hell Sam wanted to be a meister and now he's the head meister.  Bronn wanted money and power, he got it.  The wildings are free. Even the wolf got some pettings. 

Bran on the throne is dumb, but it does kind of make sense... he's completely inoffensive so nobody will oppose his rule and he doesn't care about anything so he won't be corrupted by power.  He's just a figurehead anyway... it's apparent by those last scenes that Tyrion is the real king.  Yeah and I called it.  John "went away" lord of the rings style.

Considering how screwed up the last episode was they made a remarkable recovery.  Now let's see how many chime in to complain.  ;)

That's a good way to look at it.  The one thing that bothered me (well, not one thing) was that Jon's lineage didn't matter at all.  It was such a central theme to the show but there was no payoff.  I wanted to see the dragon try to burn him in front of the unsullied/dothraki armies after he killed Dany but have Jon walk out of the flames because of his Targaryan bloodline.  Then they would want him to be king but he declines because it is what is best for the realm.  Everything else could have played out the same.  That's still not perfect but at least there is some closure with his arc.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2019, 10:26:17 am »
I wanted to see an asteroid crash into the planet and annihilate every living thing.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2019, 05:22:58 pm »
I wanted to see an asteroid crash into the planet and annihilate every living thing.

The size of the world in GoT precludes that.

@Howard: I was being flippant. I'm pretty tired of fiction, and stay away from it.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2019, 09:45:12 pm »
So I paid for a month of HBO on Amazon and binge watched the whole Season 8 yesterday.  Of course things can always be different but I enjoyed it.  I think the most fitting ending in the spirit of that show would have been if the dragon went postal and killed the entire cast but there's really no way it doesn't toast Jon.

I believe the dragons were magically bred not to hurt a targaryen.
Jon is a targaryen.
So instead it slagged the throne so he couldn't have it (dragon logic).

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2019, 09:52:40 pm »
I think you guys might have confused the fact that she doesn't fall into typical gender norms with her desire to keep being an assassin.

Just image about a million of these - >  ::)

The Hound and Arya scenes are typically the best because they are 2 of the better fleshed out characters and honestly 2 of the best actors on the show. The same reason all the Sansa scenes are so bad, Sophie Turner is just not a very good actor and the Sansa character is thinner than single ply TP .  Jamie's *very very very long* redemption arc was just tossed aside for no reason last episode, the Auron fight was clinically stupid and a waste of both characters.   The dragon surgically destroying all the ballistas this time made the lack of sinking the iron fleet so much dumber last episode.  Tyrion trying to save innocents also made no sense, as no innocents were in danger until *after* they rang the bells.  Cleganebowl was kind of meh, I mean at least we actually got the see the fight this time. The ending felt like a cop out. That weird dude that was the hand of the queen eating it was satisfying though.

Arya getting KO'ed TWICE then finding a random horse was a giant waste of time.  I think they forgot to CGI in the golden company unless they were just that one corps in front of the gate. If so Cersei didnt get her money's worth. Iron Fleet was equally useless, no sea combat so blocking blackwater bay was unneeded and all they did was get toasted by dragon fire after having storm trooper aim for 45 seconds. Guess Sansa was wrong, after you fight a grueling battle against the undead you just pack up and march south for weeks and then fight another battle ; no rest needed.

I was annoyed the dragon didn't just fly around the island and attack the flank of the iron fleet.
the ships had the ballista's on the front, they would of had to drop sails to shoot aft? I don't know i'm not a sailor. :)
I guess they were in shock over another dragon biting it and not thinking?

This season wasn;t as good as last.
I think they tried to cram too much into a season.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2019, 09:55:02 pm »

Yeah it was fun not having a single idea what was going to happen last night. Very rare nowadays.  The last couple of seasons certainly are not perfect but I'm enjoying watching anyway.

someone was on the ball though, Ashley furniture (don't know if they are national or regional) had a thruway billboard that said "time for a new chair?" and in the background was a blurred image of A throne made of swords.
I lol'd while driving.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2019, 10:41:50 pm »

Jon is a targaryen.

Well it's one of two things I think.  Either he saw a sword stuck in her and thought "that things made of swords" so he melted it, or those dragons are a heck of a lot smarter than we thought and he understood why John did it.  Which is ok in a fantasy show but if so why did he go along with the massacre?

Just ignore it, it's supposed to make you all sad and crap and you aren't supposed to think about it too much.  Which is why I immediately thought about it while watching, but the overall ending outshined the plot issues imho. 

I probably need to give a shout out for the comic relief in the episode.... When that idiot cousin stood up again, they told him to sit down and he banged his sword on the pole I lost my ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  Their reaction to Sam's "shouldn't everyone get to decide" was pretty good as well. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2019, 10:54:40 pm »

That's a good way to look at it.  The one thing that bothered me (well, not one thing) was that Jon's lineage didn't matter at all.  It was such a central theme to the show but there was no payoff.  I wanted to see the dragon try to burn him in front of the unsullied/dothraki armies after he killed Dany but have Jon walk out of the flames because of his Targaryan bloodline.  Then they would want him to be king but he declines because it is what is best for the realm.  Everything else could have played out the same.  That's still not perfect but at least there is some closure with his arc.

Yeah there's a lot of things I think should have been done differently, but I think it was the problem of George RR Martin not finishing the damn books, so they had all these complicated plot threads to work with, but no direction and let's face it, compared to authors tv show runners are typically pretty dumb....I never expected them to give the "true" ending.  There is also the argument that his lineage ultimately didn't matter because all this time he's been trying to make his own path instead of succumbing to fate or destiny.  I don't know if I buy that one or not.

You know if GRRM would hurry up and finish his damn books they could potentially re-shoot the last two seasons.  It's unheard of in Hollywood, but it happens all the time in anime.  The best example I can think of is full metal alchemist.  The manga didn't finish before the anime did, so they just made up the last season.  When the manga did finish they just did a brand new series with the first season basically being a recap of the original series up until the made up parts and then they did the true ending.    I don't know if that's a good example though because imho the original series ended better than the second one.  It took two movies to actually finish that first ending, but still....

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: May 20, 2019, 11:58:51 pm »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2019, 06:04:47 pm »
I didnt hate the ending, knew Jon wouldnt be King because he died in the books and stayed dead and I doubt GRRM would be happy with that different of an ending.

The whole season felt rushed and full of holes. For example, Greyworm is in the middle of executing King's Landing soldiers, and Jon starts walking to the Red Keep......... where he eventually gets up the steps and meets Greyworm.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2019, 06:06:30 pm »
Euron sold his transporter technology before he died.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2019, 06:59:20 pm »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2019, 07:01:00 pm »
That's pretty accurate, but they should have reversed it and the last season could have been a steaming pile of horse ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2019, 08:49:49 pm »

Jon is a targaryen.

Well it's one of two things I think.  Either he saw a sword stuck in her and thought "that things made of swords" so he melted it, or those dragons are a heck of a lot smarter than we thought and he understood why John did it.  Which is ok in a fantasy show but if so why did he go along with the massacre?

Just ignore it, it's supposed to make you all sad and crap and you aren't supposed to think about it too much.  Which is why I immediately thought about it while watching, but the overall ending outshined the plot issues imho. 

I probably need to give a shout out for the comic relief in the episode.... When that idiot cousin stood up again, they told him to sit down and he banged his sword on the pole I lost my ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  Their reaction to Sam's "shouldn't everyone get to decide" was pretty good as well.

it was kinda funny.
the way rich people who paid for a single ticket at hospice that you and 4 friends had to share laugh at the lame comedian.

I think they just needed to get rid of the dragon somehow.
again, they could of easily milked another season and made better episodes.

but as a friend pointed out they made the last season suck so people wouldn't be too sad it ended. :)

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2019, 08:52:01 pm »

Grew Worm got a little bit of that Peter Quill chin last few episodes.
not that i have any room to talk.
just saying, he was ripped in earlier seasons.