Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyMAME on Nanao MS2930. A few questions  (Read 3696 times)

chromium

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2023, 08:36:38 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
GroovyMAME on Nanao MS2930. A few questions
« on: April 25, 2019, 10:24:28 pm »
Hi all,

I have just got back into playing with this and have a few questions.

I am using the following:

Blast City with Nanao MS2930
i7-930, 12 GB RAM
Radeon HD7850
Windows 7 x64
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 15 (Adrenalin 18.5.1 for GCN* cards) for Windows 7/8 64-bits
groovymame64_0209.017n_win-7-8-10

In vmmaker I selected MS-2930 as the present and used the included super resolutions for the user modes.

I'm wondering what the best settings are for my CRT. I basically just want to run GroovyMAME and all games as close to their original resolution and refresh rate as possible. I'm happy to fiddle with size and position pots for each game.

Am I better off using Windows 10?
Should I be using Super Resolutions.
Should I let vmmaker write settings to the mame.ini or should I  Just set the monitor to ms2930 in the mame.ini?
Should I bother flashing ATOM-15 to my card?
Should I use composite sync? I tried and the 640x480 desktop resolution was too big vertically for my display even with the vsize at its smallest.
Is it possible to run the built-in UI at 15Khz? Most of the games I play are 15Khz, so I have to keep switching to 31Khz for the game selection menu and then back to 15Khz when the game starts.

I'm having issues with some games.
Tekken 3 runs at around 90% and Atari games like Super Sprint and 720 run at 97%. Possibly to do with the 24Khz refresh rate selected.

I remember helping Calamity diagnose some issues 5 years ago and Tekken 3 was one of the problem games then,  but could be fixed with some settings tweaks.

I've tried playing with all combinations of framedelay, autosync, triplebuffer and vsync and nothing makes a difference.
Should I leave all of the above settings as they are in the default mame.ini supplied with GroovyMAME and tweak them on a game by game basis?

I also tried to install windows_interlace_patcher_1.1, but it didn't recognise my build. Could this help?

I also tried running Tekken 3 using the stock standard MAME and it runs at 90% there too. Surely my CPU is fast enough, it's only 13% utilised while running. the game.

Also in HyperSports it looks like I'm getting a tearing effect sometimes on the "BREATHE" sign in the swimming event, but generally only swimming towards the right of screen, going left doesn't have the issue. This is also happening in stock MAME.
I tried on my main PC on stock MAME on an LCD and it doesn't happen there.

Sorry for all the questions. I've been reading a lot and experimenting over the last few days and haven't been able to find the answers. It's also difficult to know what the most current information is :)

Cheers

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 04:51:40 am by chromium »

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
Re: GroovyMAME on Nanao MS2930. A few questions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 12:57:27 am »
No
Yes
The former
Yes
No
Yes

chromium

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 02:44:33 am »
No
Yes
The former
Yes
No
Yes

Thanks. Care to let me know how I can run the UI at 15Khz? :) That would save a lot of switching. I'd only have to switch when I play 24KHz and 31Khz that way

chromium

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 05:38:45 am »
Anyone??

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 06:49:11 am »
Thanks. Care to let me know how I can run the UI at 15Khz? :) That would save a lot of switching. I'd only have to switch when I play 24KHz and 31Khz that way

I haven't tried this. But probably you can set "monitor arcade_15" in mame.ini, then set "monitor ms2930" in raster.ini. Probably this will keep the ui at 15 kHz.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

chromium

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 07:19:50 am »

I haven't tried this. But probably you can set "monitor arcade_15" in mame.ini, then set "monitor ms2930" in raster.ini. Probably this will keep the ui at 15 kHz.

Thanks. I had to set monitor custom in the raster.ini, otherwise it was just running everything at 15Khz.

The problem is now I'm getting a portaudio device unavailable error now. Setting monitor arcade_15 in the mame.ini is the culprit.

I set it back to custom and the portaudio error goes away. Any ideas?

So close!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:09:03 am by chromium »