Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT Emudriver on 2017 MacBook Pro Running Radeon Pro 560  (Read 1993 times)

Setzer84

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2021, 12:29:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
CRT Emudriver on 2017 MacBook Pro Running Radeon Pro 560
« on: April 24, 2019, 05:54:11 pm »
Hi everybody!

I'm a longtime retrogamer/reader of this forum and would first like to thank all of you for the awesome information here.

I recently acquired a Sony PVM-20M4U for my older consoles and would also like to use it with Retroarch and CRT Switchres. I was looking for a way to output 15kHz and came across CRT Emudriver but have been having some difficulties getting it going.

My setup is a bit peculiar for this sort of thing...I'm running a 2017 MacBook Pro with a 64-bit installation of Windows 10 via Boot Camp. My GPU is a Radeon Pro 560 which is based off the Radeon RX 500M Series: https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-Pro-560-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.226608.0.html.

I saw that the 500 series was supported so I decided to give the latest version of CRT Emudriver a go (Adrenalin 18.5.1 for GCN* cards for Windows 10 64-bits). Interestingly, the Radeon 560 Pro is recognized (asks me to go into test mode and restart) but after the test mode relaunch of Setup.exe I get: "Error: The driver installation failed: 103 No more data is available."

My plan was to set up a software output of 15kHz and given I had a Radeon card, I figured CRT Emudriver was the way to go. Unfortunately, Soft15kHz does not recognize my GPU. Is there any way to make 15kHz work from software/drivers with my setup or do I need to hunt down an Extron Emotia that does 240p/15kHz (*gulp)?

Assuming CRT Emudriver can work for my setup, I've been reading on the CRTGaming sub-Reddit that from VGA (in my case a USB-C to VGA dongle) you can use a BNC 4 cable (with sync already combined on the fourth line) to go straight into the PVM. Here's the recommended one I've been eyeing: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=568. Would this work?

A huge thanks to all of you for your help, especially to Calamity for making sure 15kHz never dies! :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:44:40 pm by Setzer84 »

Sereosh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 11:27:13 am
Re: CRT Emudriver on 2017 MacBook Pro Running Radeon Pro 560
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 03:23:55 pm »
I'm reviving this thread because I ran into the same problem when I tried to install (unsuccessfully) crt emudriver on bootcamp on my macbook pro 2016 with radeon pro 460. The exact same error "Error: The driver installation failed: 103 No more data is available." shows up. Could something be done to make it possible to install these drivers? It's definitely possible to install third-party GPU drivers on these machines, like the ones that can be found on bootcampdrivers.com. I'd be willing to test them if needed.  :)

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 07:14:49 pm »
No harm in asking, but you have to remember that this is Calamity's project, he's one man, he has a real job, and crt_emudriver is a labour of love he dedicates his spare time to and has chosen to share with us. If this crosses his path and has an easy fix, he'll do it for sure, but i don't think that's likely to happen.

Sereosh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 11:27:13 am
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 03:22:48 am »
100% agreed! I also understand this is a particular use case with devices that not all people own, hence the lack of support.