Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyMAME + LCD - Not filling screen space  (Read 1441 times)

dekar24k

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2019, 03:50:11 pm
    • ArcadeForum.com
GroovyMAME + LCD - Not filling screen space
« on: April 23, 2019, 04:44:18 pm »
Hey all. I'm currently doing a heavy Arcade1UP mod (basically making new CP and replacing everything including the monitor, the guts, speakers etc.). For this project I am using a 21" 4:3 LCD that is natively running 1600x1200@60Hz. I have a .198 romset, so I went with GM .197 as standard MAME does not syncrefresh properly (I notice small, occasional jitter when scrolling).

Anyways, I am extremely happy with my setup now, the scrolling is ultra-smooth, there's no input lag to speak of and my HLSL settings fools me into believing I'm playing on my Makvision CRT. The only thing that bothers me is that the screen is not entirely stretched (full). It looks to me like GM is using integer scaling, but shouldn't that only be enabled by setting unevenstretch 0 in mame.ini?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks to Calamity for this amazing MAME fork. I've been using it on all my previous builds, LCD or CRT. :)

PS. You can see by the attached file that there is plenty of screenspace left on each side.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:58:51 am by dekar24k »
Finished project: "The Saloon Arcade" - 2 player upright cabinet

Joystick.net - Retro gaming news and reviews

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
Re: GroovyMAME + LCD - Not filling screen space
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 05:02:38 am »
For all-stretched you should have:
unevenstretch    1
intoverscan        0

However in my experience it works better to have unvevenstretch set within two specific .ini files called vertical.ini and horizont.ini, that you put in the dedicated ini folder.

dekar24k

• Offline Offline
    • ArcadeForum.com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 10:26:21 am »
For all-stretched you should have:
unevenstretch    1
intoverscan        0

However in my experience it works better to have unvevenstretch set within two specific .ini files called vertical.ini and horizont.ini, that you put in the dedicated ini folder.

The weird thing is that I have already set unevenstretch 1 and intoverscan to 0. I have no interfering other .ini files either (only raster/vector.inis with HLSL related settings only).

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 11:17:58 am »
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I mean you still need to have unevenstretch 1 written in the vertical and horizont ini's (create both yourself as they don't exist by default), and have them in your ini folder, no matter what.

It's a matter of (messed up I think) priorities, some things don't work well if set directly from the mame.ini

Same for control of filter for instance, if you want to enable/disable it (disabling it is required for HLSL) it's better done from vertical/horizont ini's or higher.

vertical.ini
Code: [Select]
unevenstretch             1
filter                    0

horizont.ini

NB: in any case the ini system was broken at the time (since 0.174 iirc), some specific ini settings will be retained and overlap when you quit a game and start another.
This was fixed only from 0.203
But if you have only vertical.ini and horizont.ini it should be okay.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:53:47 am by schmerzkaufen »

dekar24k

• Offline Offline
    • ArcadeForum.com
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 03:28:41 pm »
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I mean you still need to have unevenstretch 1 written in the vertical and horizont ini's (create both yourself as they don't exist by default), and have them in your ini folder, no matter what.

It's a matter of (messed up I think) priorities, some things don't work well if set directly from the mame.ini

Same for control of filter for instance, if you want to enable/disable it (disabling it is required for HLSL) it's better done from vertical/horizont ini's or higher.

vertical.ini

horizont.ini

NB: in any case the ini system was broken at the time (since 0.174 iirc), some specific ini settings will be retained and overlap when you quit a game and start another.
This was fixed only from 0.203
But if you have only vertical.ini and horizont.ini it should be okay.

This fixed it. All is beautiful now. Perfect scrolling, no (noticable) input lag, no sound issues.. Aahh.. Only love. Thanks! :)

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 03:45:14 pm »
 :cheers: