Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2 player vertical MAME cab  (Read 2051 times)

Scooby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2020, 10:15:07 am
2 player vertical MAME cab
« on: April 22, 2019, 01:14:54 pm »
Hi guys!

I have finished my long term project! :D Years ago I bought a defective ripped apart Sega Virtua Striker 2 cabinet off eBay. I have transformed it into a 2 player vertical MAME cab. It was an on and off hobby of mine for the past three years. I put a lot of time to customizing the frontend layout to my personal needs as well, but that part doesn’t show in the pictures.
Now the cab has found it’s final place in my home cinema room. The only place my wife allowed me to put it. ;)
But I didn’t wanted that thing in the living room either.

Take a look at the construction work, from the beginning to the final result. It can’t keep up to some of you guys work, but I think it isn’t the crapiest either. ;D :cheers:

Chopped that thing in half. The main reason for this is because I needed to reduce the height of the overall cab. The final place for the cab is next to a „Dachschräge“. I have no idea what it is called in English. ;) and the positive side effect is that you can take the cab apart and that makes it a lot easier for transport.

I wanted a CRT inside the cab, for the authentic look and feel. But I recommend ripping an old TV apart only for people who know what they are doing. It is kind of high voltage involved.

Routing MDF is a dusty thing.

Placed some instructions for the frontend on the control panel layout. But I wanted it to be as intuitive as possible. So, when you take your hands off the controls, everything will go back to normal. You have to push and hold the buttons to see the flyer or the cab and marquee artwork and so on. You can zoom in and out on the artwork, because of the low resolution CRT.
I wanted to have available as much information about a game as there is. So you can access the following information from the frontend:

- game history
- game flyer
- cabinet and marquee picture
- year of release
- manufacturer
- ROM name
- ROM version
- controls
- number of players
- How often you have played a game

I like to explore the available games. It’s like a museum of old arcade games!

And finally two Spintrak spinners.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:32:54 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
Re: 2 player vertical MAME cab
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 07:39:41 pm »
Wow that looks like a lot of hard work, nice job.  That wiring is super clean, and you like you’ve got a nice picture on that CRT.  Congrats on finishing!

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 11:33:45 pm »
Slick machine... Just can't get over the fact you used a horizontal game theme for a vertical cab... ???
%Bartop

Scooby

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 12:52:32 pm »
Just can't get over the fact you used a horizontal game theme for a vertical cab... ???

I thought so too. First I didn’t wanted to have any name on it, but then I came across the „MAME patrol“ marquee and I kind of liked it. So I changed it a little and used it. Then I messed up the first control panel design. It didn’t had any theme. Just some outer space graphics. And in that design I had circles around the buttons. I messed up the alignment big time. I had to redo the control panel layout. I had all those visions in my mind. ;) But I suck at Photoshop, so those visions stayed in my mind. ;) So I did this Moon patrol thing. As soon as I had put it on, I kind of regretted it. Doesn’t look right, too colorful. But then I thought, what the heck, let it be.

Scooby

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 12:56:05 pm »
Wow that looks like a lot of hard work, nice job.  That wiring is super clean, and you like you’ve got a nice picture on that CRT.  Congrats on finishing!

Thanks man! But if had to do it all over again, I would have chosen a little smaller CRT diagonal. This is just one size too big.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 06:12:39 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 01:05:36 pm »
I don't know how you did it. You put MAME in the name of your cab and it works for me.  :cheers: