Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Original "Legend of Zelda" NES  (Read 6515 times)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
The Original "Legend of Zelda" NES
« on: April 21, 2019, 12:29:10 pm »
So, just wondering , how do you guys tackle it?  When I was a kid I'd do at least the first 4 dungeons (to get the step ladder) then get all the over world hearts and up my sword. As an adult I realized you can get 3 heart containers , blue ring, big shield, bait, and the white sword before you even step foot in the first dungeon.

I just started a play through on my Switch because I've never done a zero death run on the first game, and the first 4 dungeons were laughably easy when you go into the first one with 6 hearts, an updated sword, and reduced damage.

just wondering how other people tackle it.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Re: The Original "Legend of Zelda" NES
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 01:42:35 pm »
That’s how I tackle it now, get as much as I can before entering any dungeons, then beat like the first two and get the master sword. I also try to do the dungeons out of order, but can’t remember off the top of my head what that order is. Just always aim for the highest possible dungeon given the equipment I had at any given moment.

As a kid, I remember there was a cryptic threat in the instruction manual about completing out of order. Thought they programmed in a serious monster to get you for doing so. But also as a kid, I was also more concerned with wandering around most the time lighting every single tree on fire and bombing every rock.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 02:04:45 pm »
I just realized you can get the magic sword (upgrade from the white sword ) in the grave yard BEFORE the fifth dungeon. If you grab the heart container with the stepladder(4th dungeon) and the one with the raft (fifth dungeon) just to the north you have just enough to get the magic sword.

Im on the 7th dungeon and I must remember a pretty optimum path, I have 10 extra dungeon keys

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 04:32:33 pm »
This game was waaaaaaay harder when I was a kid. Beat it in a couple hours instead of a couple weeks.

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 11:16:47 pm »
This game was waaaaaaay harder when I was a kid. Beat it in a couple hours instead of a couple weeks.

I played the whole game on a flight once - using a laptop keyboard.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 11:26:46 pm »
Sat down ~15 years ago to do a single play through with a friend.  Back when the emulator on Xbox had the stupid notion of exiting if you hit the white button.  It went as well as you can predict around dungeon 6.  I told him to go home.

25 years ago, I’m playing it with my uncle.  We get to the last dungeon.  He mentions his NES Advantage has been acting weird.  We pause and plug it in.  Instantly resets and erases all the save games.  Still salty about that.

Need to watch that ending on YouTube apparently because it’s just not in my cards.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 11:59:57 pm »
Oh man, sorry to hear about that, pbj. I’ve had a similar experience with Wind Waker. The first time my memory card was formatted at a party I brought my GC to. Someone thought it would be cool to flip the region mod switch on the back of the console, then button through all the Japanese prompts about my mem card needing a format.

Second time I played through it was before we moved. Ended up losing the memory card in the move...

The Universe doesn’t want me to finish that game.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 10:27:33 pm »
I recently found a VHS of me betting the second world as a kid. I recall not being happy that it erased your game after winning and decided that the second time I'd recored it. I was more concerned with making max use of each item then anything else.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 07:04:32 am »
I just realized you can get the magic sword (upgrade from the white sword ) in the grave yard BEFORE the fifth dungeon. If you grab the heart container with the stepladder(4th dungeon) and the one with the raft (fifth dungeon) just to the north you have just enough to get the magic sword.

Im on the 7th dungeon and I must remember a pretty optimum path, I have 10 extra dungeon keys

I think last time I beat it, I beat the 7th dungeon after the 5th. Once you have the whistle, I think you can access everything, other than needing the triforce for death mountain. I always felt the red candle was an awesome item that came way too late. Too many dark rooms and a few enemies that roast really well. Not to mention I always forget the exact trees to burn, so I hate having to leave the screen a million times to find the one burnable tree.

Once level 7 is beat, I think I worked downward and beat 8 then 6. It takes a the fangs out of level 6, which I honestly think is the hardest dungeon. Effin Wizrobes...

Anyone else deliberately skip the spell book in level 8? I always run into my own fireballs, so it kinda ruined the magic wand for me.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 07:06:11 am by Vigo »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 11:00:17 am »
Yea, that wind was better pre flames.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 11:35:44 am »
I snagged it for completions sake. Fun fact, it was called the Bible in the Japanese release.
Six is easily the hardest dungeon other than Nine.......but Nine is pretty easy if you take the shortest path possible.

LttP is still my fave, but my recent play through of this makes me like this game even more.  I tried Zelda 2 again, beat Horsehead and man....the game just isnt fun.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 12:10:13 pm »
Since we're talking Link to the Past, I'm going to bring up my old complaint about how they ruined the re-releases of it by adding "hyuh, hyuh, HYAH!" to it every damn time you swing the sword.  I had to play it on mute and quickly lost interest.  Was thrilled that the Between Worlds game didn't have that garbage in it, but that game sucks and isn't fun.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 04:09:31 pm »
Since we're talking Link to the Past, I'm going to bring up my old complaint about how they ruined the re-releases of it by adding "hyuh, hyuh, HYAH!" to it every damn time you swing the sword.  I had to play it on mute and quickly lost interest.  Was thrilled that the Between Worlds game didn't have that garbage in it, but that game sucks and isn't fun.

They did the same thing to Super Mario Advance adding "Let's-a-go!" to Mario and whatnot.

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 08:54:24 am »
adding "hyuh, hyuh, HYAH!"
adding "Let's-a-go!"

Why do they think they are improving the over all aesthetic?  That makes about as much sense as Greedo shooting first.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 02:48:43 pm »
Honestly, as much as I like the Mario games, I think Mario the character has kind of been ruined.  When I think of the "real" Mario I think of Capin' Lou... or at least an Italian American tuff guy.  This watered-down, literal Italian (no American) stereo-type mickey mouse b.s. kind of gets on my adult nerves.

It's the same think with Link, but to a lesser degree.... BOTW kind of reversed a lot of that. 

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 04:11:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 04:26:43 pm »
We (meaning I) just beat the 5th Dungeon. Took us forever as we don't have the Magical sword. Seem to have missed a heart container somewhere. The room with the blue knights is a tough one to get through. The second you lose health, it's a nightmare trying to take them out with a sword. That room was stressing me out, only compounded by my little one shouting "Get away! You're going to die!!".

I beat the game a half million times in my younger days, but now you all have me worrying about level 6.

The plan was to show the kids, the early NES and SNES Zelda games. But now I'm not sure I want to go through Zelda 2 again. That one was a beast. Might just skip to SNES, which is my favorite Zelda.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 02:03:01 pm »
I always level up to White Sword, Blue Ring, Bombs, Arrows, etc. before going in first dungeon.  I can beat the whole game in about 2 hours (I play through it 4-5 times per year).  My favorite NES game by a mile.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2019, 06:18:40 pm »
Took me a little over 3 hours maybe close to 4. Not remembering where all the bushes to burn and mountains to bomb slowed me up, plus I have a really bad habit of just dicking around.  I still need to try and plow my way through Zelda 2 just to say I did but that game is such a chore. I should probably play the minish cap instead.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2019, 06:49:10 pm »
Wasn't there some spot in Zelda 2 where you could rubber band the attack button down, swing nonstop, turn off your TV, and come back the next day and be completely maxed out?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2019, 10:53:57 pm »
I don't get it, Zelda 2 is easily one of my favorites because of the fact that it's one of the earlier Zelda games with some actual action going on.  I re-bought it a few years ago just to play it on the original cart.... still holds up.  It's not terribly difficult either.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2019, 10:15:04 am »
Yeah, and I had a Sega Master System so that's more proof that there's crazy people everywhere.