Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is there a vertical Frontend that the Pi boots up into?  (Read 6333 times)

mamemaniac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:26:05 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Is there a vertical Frontend that the Pi boots up into?
« on: April 18, 2019, 01:40:22 pm »
Point me to the setup thread please...

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:11:07 pm
Re: Is there a vertical Frontend that the Pi boots up into?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 06:10:37 pm »
I don't know of a setup thread but the Emulationstation-Dev version can rotate to vertical. There is also a Carbon Vertical theme you can use. You have to change this line to make Emulationstation rotate:

Code: [Select]
Change /opt/retropie/configs/all/autostart.sh with the following line: emulationstation --screenrotate 3 (or 1)
I think 3 and 1 will make it vertical depending on which way you rotated your monitor.

Let me know if you run into trouble. I have a little more info in my notes somewhere.

J_K_M_A_N

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 08:00:22 pm »
attractmode, advmenu, retrofe... is this a trick question?

mamemaniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:26:05 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 09:26:07 pm »
No trick question here. Just someone looking for help that doesn’t apparently have the experience you do with the Pi.
For more clarity...How do you have the pi boot into a vertical emulator front end theme? For example I want to run mame in an arcade machine. I don’t want to go through menu selections to get to the emulator from boot.

attractmode, advmenu, retrofe... is this a trick question?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 09:37:10 pm by mamemaniac »

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:54:50 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 09:43:03 am »
Just use retropie. Retropie automatically boots to the frontend and if the only emulator your have games for is MAME - it's the only thing that will show. They have a very detailed tutorial on getting started: https://retropie.org.uk/docs/First-Installation/

And while JKMAN's method should work, I prefer to rotate the entire raspberry pi screen instead of just emulation station. You do that in the config.txt file.

Add either (depending which type of display you're using)
display_rotate=1
lcd_rotate=1

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:11:07 pm
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 10:42:47 am »
And while JKMAN's method should work, I prefer to rotate the entire raspberry pi screen instead of just emulation station. You do that in the config.txt file.

display_rotate=1
lcd_rotate=1

The only reason I don't like to do that is because I feel like it takes a hit on performance. Maybe that has gotten better and it is not as noticeable but I know it used to show when doing it that way. Some games that would run full speed normally would not once you did that. Again, maybe that was on the PI2 and not the PI3. I have not really tried it since I did on the PI2. It is MUCH easier that way. That is for sure.

J_K_M_A_N

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:54:50 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 12:11:27 pm »

display_rotate=1
lcd_rotate=1

The only reason I don't like to do that is because I feel like it takes a hit on performance. Maybe that has gotten better and it is not as noticeable but I know it used to show when doing it that way. Some games that would run full speed normally would not once you did that. Again, maybe that was on the PI2 and not the PI3. I have not really tried it since I did on the PI2. It is MUCH easier that way. That is for sure.

J_K_M_A_N

Oh really? I haven't noticed that myself. I would have thought it would be *less* taxing since it's done at such a low level vs. doing it at the front end. But I haven't done any experimenting like you have.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 03:52:35 pm »

display_rotate=1
lcd_rotate=1

J_K_M_A_N

Same reason i dont use retropie. Its slow. I use raspbian lite and compile and config myself. Boots so much faster.

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 11:48:02 am »
My blog has a bunch of Attract-Mode front end layouts I've put together for vertical rotated monitors.  Here's an example:

The link to my blog is in my signature.  CLICK "AM LAYOUTS" on the menu...
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 07:54:13 am »
My solution to the Vertical Pi issue is a bit complicated but not that bad... and i think gives the best results for little work:

I run 240p output into a CRT tv via composite...

1) Attract Mode as your front end.

2) On the AM forum there is a custom theme builder. I used that to make a SIDEWAYS theme that is a full screen snap video with wheel art logo, and nothing else. When your monitor is rotated, the sideways theme is now upright. Which way you need to turn it depends on preference. Set up attract mode as you would if it were normal, assigning controls for next game etc.

3) The game itself i rotate within Retroarch, and not in the config using the "display_rotate". I am not certain, but several have mentioned that this is the least burdensome way to rotate with the Pi in order to preserve performance and focus on actual emulation.

The existing themes on Fried's(cant belive i thought it was fred... must be fried myself. im a primus fan too) page may be your ticket as well... im just about to see what hes got now.

Substring

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 02:35:43 pm
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 06:22:55 am »
Recalbox has a vertical theme, though it may be mostly suitable for 1080p than 240p