Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Coin door pre wired into Tankstick?  (Read 1478 times)

bcgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2021, 02:33:37 pm
Coin door pre wired into Tankstick?
« on: April 20, 2019, 08:43:57 am »
Good morning

Just going through this cab I picked up, it’s got a tankstick on it, but there’s 2 wires coming out the back of it, which are ran down to the coin door.  How can I test the functionality of the quarters in mame?.  I’ve never seen a tankstick with these wires out the back.  I know tankstick suck but it’s a start. 

_Iz-

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 10:24:57 pm
  • Time to coin up!
Re: Coin door pre wired into Tankstick?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 12:11:56 pm »
Fire everything up, start a game in mame and insert a coin, see if mame registers it (or flick the wire lever on the side of the microswitch and see if a coin is registered)

bcgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 12:29:49 pm »
Ya I flicked it in mame but nothing happened, went to the tab screen down to coin 1 and nothing.  Wondering if there’s a setting for the tankstick to make the encoder see it. 

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:48:58 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 04:20:17 pm »
Ya I flicked it in mame but nothing happened, went to the tab screen down to coin 1 and nothing.  Wondering if there’s a setting for the tankstick to make the encoder see it.
Each coin mech microswitch is almost certainly either wired in parallel with one of the "flipper button" microswitches in the Tankstick or in place of it.

1. Test it outside MAME.
- Open Notepad and see if pressing the flipper buttons and flicking the coin mech microswitches sends a "5" (Coin 1) or "6" (Coin 2) keystroke.
- if so, that switch and the encoder are wired and working properly.
- If not, check the connections.
-- Remember that the Tankstick encoder uses isolated grounds for each wire group.

2. Once the encoder is working correctly outside MAME, check the "Input (general) -- Other Controls" menu.
- Coin 1 should be "5" and Coin 2 should be "6"
-- If the Coin 1 or Coin 2 are set to "none", highlight the bad input, press Enter, then Escape. (returns to default)
-- If the Coin 1 or Coin 2 are set to the wrong keystroke, highlight the bad input and press Enter, then Escape (sets to "none"), then Enter, then Escape.  (returns to default)
- Once both set correctly, check individual games to see if the general setting is being overridden by the "Input (this game)" setting.

3. To fix the "Input (this game)" settings.
-- If the Coin 1 or Coin 2 are set to "none", highlight the bad input, press Enter, then Escape. (returns to default)
-- If the Coin 1 or Coin 2 are set to the wrong keystroke, highlight the bad input and press Enter, then Escape (sets to "none"), then Enter, then Escape.  (returns to default)

Scott

bcgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 09:08:39 am »
Thanks for the reply, it works
I’m sitting there pounding quarters into it figuring I’ve checked everything except the most obvious thing.... CANADIAN QUARTERS !!! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️